Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
pyroleprechaun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:43 am 

Is anyone here familiar with this release? It's funny to me that a bonus disc is one of my favorite albums ever. From my understanding, they briefly reformed for the Chuck Billy benefit concert sometime around 2001 and included the recording with the Eternal Nightmare re-release. Containing material from all three albums, Vio-Lence played every song at high intensity and, with Sean's brilliant vocal patterns, made one of the best albums I have ever heard.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:08 am 

I have it, but I've never given it a thorough listening. It certainly does have a nice set list, picking some of their best songs off the first two albums and I trust they did the same with the third, but I'm not familiar with Nothing To Gain, so I can't comment there. It's also good to see that they have a nice mix of material from all three albums. I'll probably listen to it sometime tonight, you've convinced me to do at least that.

- Tim Minchin

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:03 pm 

It is quite enjoyable. Personally I'd rather listen to the first two albums just because they are two of my favorites, but this is a good recording. I'm pretty sure they were going to do a new album until Demmel was asked to join Machine Head. Now Sean Killian has said there won't be another album (or maybe even another reunion :()

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:49 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Now Sean Killian has said there won't be another album (or maybe even another reunion :()

Sadly, their official website clearly states that the Blood & Dirt DVD is the very last bit of Vio-lence we're going to get. It also completely fucking rules for anyone who hasn't seen it. The documentary disc is very interesting, with great footage, a cool story, great quality, funny, and even has a titty montage! I haven't gotten around to watching the concert disc yet, but I will eventually.

Live at Slim's is pretty great. Sound quality is rockin', it's a little sloppy at times, but they were probably drunk stupid, and it doesn't adversely affect their performance, it just makes everything sound the way it should: cool as fuck.

Eternal Nightmare is my favorite album, and it saddens me to no end that I'll never be able to see them or hear those songs live. I would sacrifice a testicle without question to see them play this album in its entirety.

pyroleprechaun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:20 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:
Now Sean Killian has said there won't be another album (or maybe even another reunion :()

Sadly, their official website clearly states that the Blood & Dirt DVD is the very last bit of Vio-lence we're going to get. It also completely fucking rules for anyone who hasn't seen it. The documentary disc is very interesting, with great footage, a cool story, great quality, funny, and even has a titty montage! I haven't gotten around to watching the concert disc yet, but I will eventually.

I just now ordered that DVD from Amazon for $2.15 lol. It seems like they have a handful of used copies for that price.

RZris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:15 am 

The_Orphanizer wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:
Eternal Nightmare is my favorite album, and it saddens me to no end that I'll never be able to see them or hear those songs live. I would sacrifice a testicle without question to see them play this album in its entirety.

this, hell i might be willing to give both, eben with modern robb and phil

such a shame, if there ever was a band that deserved more i don;t know them

manes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:11 am 

I saw Vio-lence live in San Francisco, Helloween 2001 at a club in Southern San Francisco, well it was just one of the best shows ever, not many people in there, just true metal warriors.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.