Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:11 pm 

Indigenous death/doom collective Tzompantli will release their second full length, Beating the Drums of Ancestral Force, on May 17 through 20 Buck Spin. From the press release:
Quote:
With first album ’Tlazcaltiliztli’, Tzompantli called forth a penetrating strike of Death and Doom Metal like a poisoned arrow through the heart. The band’s foundation in Indigenous / Native rituals, history and lore, and merging of traditional instruments into their sound made for one of 2022’s most uniquely voiced metal records.

Now Tzompantli have again been summoned from the smoke of the ancient fires with a new offering at the altar of human sacrifice, ‘Beating the Drums of Ancestral Force’. Fearsomely brutal marches of war-like, percussive Death Metal are contrasted with melancholy passages of longing spirit and entrancing ceremonial invocations to the ancestors. The Tzompantli tribe has greatly expanded on this second album with 10+ musicians enlisted in the conjuring of wrathful deities and collection of invader skulls.

There has been no shortage of fantastic Death/Doom records in recent years and Tzompantli’s latest entry in the genre’s pantheon demonstrates its continued expansion into wider musical and thematic arenas. The anguished fortitude at the heart of ‘Beating The Drums of Ancestral Force’ exalts in the blood and ash of empire and would be conquerors, a fiery lamentation to centuries of erasure.

Tracklisting:
1. Tetzahuitl
2. Tlayohualli
3. Tlaloc Icuic
4. Chichimecatl
5. Tetzaviztli
6. Otlica Mictlan
7. Icnocuicatl

Tlayohualli has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

The debut from this band was a really interesting combination of Disembowelment-esque death/doom and various styles of indigenous folk music and it looks like they're going to expand upon that sound on this album.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 pm 

Loved the debut and this new single is fucking monstrous.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:49 pm 

This is an awesome band, if you don't know these guys give them a shot and listen to their first album, is a killer record.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 pm 

Great single as usual. This band has not missed so far, so this new album looks to be another great one.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 pm 

Wrong thread.

Last edited by Gravetemplar on Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 pm 

I remember sampling the first album and not really feeling it, despite how unique it was. This song sounds pretty good and I'm keen to hear the rest. I guess I'll have to go back and hear the first one again.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 pm 

Giving some love to this album. New band to me.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:25 pm 

I really liked the first album and this new song sounds great. I love this style of slow and heavy death metal. Looking forward to hearing more.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:53 pm 

Damn this is really well done, one of the best songs I have heard this year for sure. These guys know how to keep a song interesting.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:03 am 

Kalaratri wrote:
Indigenous death/doom collective Tzompantli will release their second full length, Beating the Drums of Ancestral Force, on May 17 through 20 Buck Spin.

I’m starting to hate you* because my wallet is being absolutely tortured from all the good shit I’m discovering through your threads.

This is excellent and it made me go back to the debut, which is also excellent.

Obviously, I’m late to this sort-of DM renaissance going on. Shame on me, I suppose.

*this should obviously be taken as a joke, I have zero actual ill-will towards you, and am grateful for the aide in discovering excellent new (to me) bands/music.
Obliteration

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:39 am 

I forgot to get around to the last album, but I'll have to fix that... this sounds fucking cool. Big, nasty riffs... a kind of ominous, lumbering atmosphere. I like the aesthetic too.

Reply to topic