Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:46 pm 

Napalm Death. Actually I had heard a demo version of Twist the Knife (Slowly) quite some time ago, but it wasn't until earlier this summer that I actually owned any albums by the band and got into them.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:25 am 

Deviante wrote:

But yeah, Ahab is my most recent find, along with Evoken. I've been aware of both bands for a while, but only recently decided to listen to both.

Both of those bands are amazing. Especially Ahab.

I actually just got around to discovering Mastodon. I never really had the motivation to buy anything from them, but I saw Crack the Skye and Leviathan and picked them up (I had heard good things about Cracke the skye and I liked the cover of Laviathan). Good thing I liked both of them, very much.

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:55 am 

I'm really digging Oceanborn. Very tasteful use of flutes and absolutely spectacular operatic vocals. This is my first expirience with Nightwish, I'll definitely check out some more of their stuff if its of the same quality (though I've heard that their newest is basically Evanescence).

~Guest 97031
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:18 am 

Trelldom's first album.

BUNKER 84 (not metal though)

brightfield
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:30 am 

Hellwitch. Just got the re-issue of Syzygial Miscreancy and it's great. The new album, Omnipotent Convocation, sounds awesome as well, but is surprisingly hard to find, and not much talked about on MA.

Yes it is the real Goat.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:25 am 

Ghoul - SplatterThrash :( and they performed here already not so long ago

LocNar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:18 am 

Windir, Grave, Bulldozer.

infested
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:43 pm 

as some of you i discovered Manilla Road just few months ago.

this band is one of the best ever and maybe they suffered for the lack of promo or not being on a big label

anyway it's maybe a better thing cause it's good to think there's some fucking gems to discover even after many years in metal

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:46 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
Ghoul - SplatterThrash :( and they performed here already not so long ago

My first experience with them as well. I've been waiting for a surf rock album ever since.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:07 pm 

I never got much interested in M8l8th, because of their ideologies and the fact that I didn't wanted to hear a band with a criminal in it.But this week a decided to check them out for see if they were the shitty nsbm I was expecting them to be.
I'm glad I was wrong this time.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:23 pm 

Marag wrote:
I never got much interested in M8l8th, because of their ideologies and the fact that I didn't wanted to hear a band with a criminal in it.But this week a decided to check them out for see if they were the shitty nsbm I was expecting them to be.

As long as the music is good I don't see why you would have trouble checking out a NSBM band.

But yes, M8l8th is a fantastic example of truly crazy black metal. I love when he laughs during the intros.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:13 pm 

Crepuscular wrote:
Marag wrote:

As long as the music is good I don't see why you would have trouble checking out a NSBM band.

But yes, M8l8th is a fantastic example of truly crazy black metal. I love when he laughs during the intros.

I agree, but I always associated M8l8th with the more idiotic side of nsbm, with a really try to stay away because it's ridiculous.But it seems that they are not that bad, at least it seems, as my knowedge of russian is almost nonexistent.They are great anyway.
Shall we stop this discussion here, because in this board any mention to nsbm seems to start an endless shitstorm.

Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:25 pm 

Desaster. Just started listening to Hellfire's Dominion now and, WOW, this is fucking GOOD!
I've been wanting to look into Desaster for so long, but never did. Now I'm glad I got around to it.

Another is Stabat Mater. I've never been much for funeral doom, but this is some exceptionally dark and excellent stuff! I just got the self-titled, and look forward to getting some of the splits.

MarkLikesMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:13 am 

Black Sabbath. No shit, I never really gave them a good listen until this morning.

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:21 am 

Obituary - Slowly we rot
WTF, I saw this band twice already, even owe (the mediocre) back from the dead and love old school DM, yet I listened to this classic the first time an hour ago.
Great stuff.

Metal_25
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm 

Just recently I'd gotten into Helloween.

Such a tragic story....

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:01 pm 

Bal-Sagoth. They've been around since 89 and as of now are one of my favorite UK bands.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:04 pm 

Necropleasurist wrote:
Desaster. Just started listening to Hellfire's Dominion now and, WOW, this is fucking GOOD!
I've been wanting to look into Desaster for so long, but never did. Now I'm glad I got around to it.

Another is Stabat Mater. I've never been much for funeral doom, but this is some exceptionally dark and excellent stuff! I just got the self-titled, and look forward to getting some of the splits.

I also just got into DESASTER

metalcoresux
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:08 pm 

behemoth i mean i had heard bits and peices but i have nevr like REALLY listened to them i acant believe wat i was missing

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:12 pm 

Pain of Salvation. I've always heard a song here and there, but a buddy of mine suggested a listen to Ending Themes and Fandango, and I was completely blown away. Great, great band.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Viral_Nemesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:19 pm 

Running Wild, Angel Witch, Witchfinder General, Cirith Ungol and Manilla Road. Sadly, in all my years of blasting death/thrash/black metal I missed out on a lot of traditional metal bands.

More surprisingly, W.A.S.P. I've read tons and tons of praise for them on here, so I checked them out. HOLY FUCK are they good! Perhaps I ignored them because of the hair metal associations, but they really sound more like Motorhead with some New York Dolls influence. Very good, underrated stuff.

headnhalf1981
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:45 pm 

Metal_25 wrote:
Just recently I'd gotten into Helloween.

Me too, I picked up a copy of Walls of Jericho that includes the self titled EP for £2 and it's fucking fantastic, completely over the top the musical equivalent of eating a whole wedding cake on your own.

STAARRRRRLIGHTTTT!!!!!!!!!

AnonymousKindaGuy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:02 pm 

I can't believe I didn't listen to Ulver earlier, after thinking that they were just another Black/Folk metal band.
Stupid, stupid mistake. :brick:

Klabautamann, Timeghoul, and Code are also bands I should have been listening to at an earlier time.

Sucks that Timeghoul broke up at such an early time. I hate downloading good albums for free. :grumble:

Last.fm

Gallows_Hymn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:09 pm 

Terrorizer

Shame on me for not hearing 'World Downfall' long ago

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:14 am 

Viral_Nemesis wrote:
Running Wild, Angel Witch, Witchfinder General, Cirith Ungol and Manilla Road. Sadly, in all my years of blasting death/thrash/black metal I missed out on a lot of traditional metal bands.

More surprisingly, W.A.S.P. I've read tons and tons of praise for them on here, so I checked them out. HOLY FUCK are they good! Perhaps I ignored them because of the hair metal associations, but they really sound more like Motorhead with some New York Dolls influence. Very good, underrated stuff.

Yes! more of these please! nothing wrong with aforementioned genres (Black/Death) but seriously, would be stoked if more of you kinda dudes took the time to check out great bands like WASP, Witchfinder, Running Wild etc, rather than writing it off as mere "out of date" crap. No reason why you can't enjoy old school classics too. Good call, dude.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:32 am 

After hearing Ulver's debut, I checked the following two albums. Really different from each other. Can't say that I'm love those albums already. Still need to hear them more often.

DefacedLunacy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:41 am 

Venom! I know, I know unholy sin right? It's just one of those big names I always kinda knew excisted but never took the time to listen to. I wish I did sooner because it's some of the catchiest thrash metal I've ever heard.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:33 am 

MarkLikesMetal wrote:
Black Sabbath. No shit, I never really gave them a good listen until this morning.

x2

Recently bought their Paranoid album, and apparently not only the title track is worth listening.

Viral_Nemesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:50 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Yes! more of these please! nothing wrong with aforementioned genres (Black/Death) but seriously, would be stoked if more of you kinda dudes took the time to check out great bands like WASP, Witchfinder, Running Wild etc, rather than writing it off as mere "out of date" crap. No reason why you can't enjoy old school classics too. Good call, dude.

Thanks, Doom. Agreed, I think a "balanced metal diet" is exactly what many need. Plus, one can only listen to so many drum triggers on an album before that shit gets old FAST.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:30 am 

Stuka Squadron. They drink blood.

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:12 am 

Early Immolation; Close to a World Below is a pretty damn classy album. I like the riffs. They're quite different from what a lot of DM bands do.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:19 pm 

Disillusion, Back to times of Splendor is 5 years old, has 11 reviews, average 91% I'm listening now and it's indeed very good, but I've never once even heard the name until 10 minutes ago.

peddlerofdeath89
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:06 pm 

Dissection. How have I not heard them sooner? I listened to Storm of the Lights Bane and The Somberlain while driving through snow, ice, rain and fog last night. I was terrified, in a good way. :thumbsup:

metalfreak_1994
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:58 pm 

Gallows_Hymn wrote:
Terrorizer

Shame on me for not hearing 'World Downfall' long ago

Same here. I had never heard that album untill about last month, and it fucking kills. But a band I've been really getting into recently is EyeHateGod. I've had heard of them ever since I got into metal, but never heard a single song untill 2-3 weeks ago. And now I can say that Dopesick is my #2 favorite metal album (#1 being Sabbath's Master of Reality.)

DrOctavia
Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:07 pm 

Literally just started listening to Outworld for the first time. I hate myself for not getting this sooner, even though I heard of the band years ago.

In the heat and the rain, with the whips and chains
To see him fly, so many die
We built a tower of stone, with our flesh and bone
Just to see him fly, but we don't know why
Now where do we go?

Electronegative
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:33 pm 

Soilwork, their first album seems to be better than all the other melodic death metal pioneers.
Also Sybreed, which has blown me away so far.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:53 pm 

Running Wild

I still can't believe I haven't heard awesome music like this. I also still can't believe I passed then off as mediocre before even hearing their music.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:44 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Necropleasurist wrote:

I also just got into DESASTER

Same here, mindblowingly good, I ordered the newest album within an hour of hearing "Hellbangers" for the first time.

anticimex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:42 am 

Pantera - Power Metal

I have never listened to them but just discovered that awesome !!!!

third_eye_surfer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:09 pm 

Don't know how I never heard Metal Church until some weeks back. Glad I did hear them

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next