Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:54 am 

The_Boss wrote:
dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Atlantas alright.

We've got:

Withered (though they dont play locally that much)
Zoroaster (excellent experimental psych/sludge/doom)
Spewtilator (my band - thrash/grind stuff)
Let the Night Roar (good sludge/doom action)
Royal Thunder (amazing female fronted 3 piece rock band with huge psych/doom influences)

several tech death type bands...a slew of -core garbage...some good fast punk/hc bands that seem to break up before they get anywhere.

The main issue in Atlanta is that no one gives a shit about the bands we have here. The vast majority of the people in the general age range to be stoked on metal are all hipsters who listen to dance music or powerpop and snort coke all day, not that theres anything wrong with that ;) but its annoying that we've got such good bands but its still a huge pain in the ass to get people to come out to shows unless its some touring band that everyones got an epic boner for and even then its a gamble.

For instance... Cannabis Corpse and Ramming Speed are playing tonight w/ my band at this sick DIY warehouse at 585 Wells St. and i'm slightly worried that there wont be a good turnout because its a monday and the majority of kids in this city are pussies who would rather stay home than pay $7 measly dollars for a crushing show and deal with their hangovers like men tomorrow...

Don't forget Living Decay, Sybaritic, Tetrarch, Legions of Astaroth, Legion X, Prime Mover, and Malefic! The Atlanta scene isn't too shabby, but there are a lot of fuckwads with shitty taste as per every scene; which sucks cuz there's so many hipster faggots I hate.

It's not the worst but it could be better; I love how there is always a solid congregation and following of loyal locals at every show, every event supporting the band and shit. Hails to those fuckers! :metal:

Oh yeah, Living Decay are good but they're closer to Athens then Atlanta unfortunately. I wish Sybaritic would actually play some shows...same for LoA. Not really into the more tech stuff but Malefic is good, my friend Kyle plays drums for them... not familiar with Tetrarch, Legion X, or Prime Mover though. We def have it better than a lot of places and it does seem like more people are getting into metal and actually coming out to shows...seems like its been a long time coming though.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

The_Emo_Hater
Follically Challenged

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:30 am 

There's no metal scene here in southern Oregon, just mainly punks and hippies and the occasional kid wearing BMTH or Atreyu tees. There are shows occasionally 30 miles away in Medford but it's mostly mainstream dumbfuckery like Papa Roach and Hinder who played last month.

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:32 am 

Wordless_Hon wrote:
Cynical_Misanthropy wrote:
Hmm, my local scene? I really don't consider my immediate area to have a metal scene. Couple shitty deathcore bands and a couple lame unoriginal half-assed thrash ones.

You can't really say the bay area doesn't have a metal scene. Sure we're overrun with cookie-cutter thrash and deathcore but from reading through this thread it seems like thats just about everywhere. That said, for how well the bay is know for metal, the current wave of bands leaves something to be desired

I was talking about my immediate area, hence why I put immediate. I live in the East Bay.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:34 am 

The_Emo_Hater wrote:
There's no metal scene here in southern Oregon, just mainly punks and hippies and the occasional kid wearing BMTH or Atreyu tees. There are shows occasionally 30 miles away in Medford but it's mostly mainstream dumbfuckery like Papa Roach and Hinder who played last month.

you've got splatterhouse up there...at least theres that!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

aveksx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:00 pm 

Wordless_Hon wrote:
Hmm, my local scene? I really don't consider my immediate area to have a metal scene. Couple shitty deathcore bands and a couple lame unoriginal half-assed thrash ones.

You can't really say the bay area doesn't have a metal scene. Sure we're overrun with cookie-cutter thrash and deathcore but from reading through this thread it seems like thats just about everywhere. That said, for how well the bay is know for metal, the current wave of bands leaves something to be desired

ANIMOSITY, BRO. BREE BREE BREE.

MetalStrikesDown
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:57 pm 

So it seems like everyone is saying their scene sucks. Where are all these metal bands coming from then? Lol. Mine is no different, we have absolutely no scene here (Oswego, Illinois). One town over we sometimes get decent shows. Diamond Plate plays there every so oftne because apparentl in Worth, Illinois there is shit. We actually got Origin and Misery Index at one show here! WOOOOOOOOOOOO. Not much else since really though, a couple of the newer California thrash bands and that's it coming through.

So yea, basically no local bands.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:06 pm 

The Houston scene is actually pretty incredible and home to very many great bands, old and new.

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:22 pm 

aveksx wrote:
Wordless_Hon wrote:

ANIMOSITY, BRO. BREE BREE BREE.

I this some pathetic attempt at a joke? Animosity has no pig squeals, not funny.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:39 am 

As far as local bands and big tours go, you won't have much luck either way. There are only a handfull of good upcoming bands from around here, two of whom hardly ever play shows anymore. We've been getting a lot of the Nu-Thrash stuff lately and that's what the majority of venue shows are besides aging Punk bands that come buy every other week or so. October has been a good month however -Deicide, and Cannabis Corpse are scheduled.

Every group or clique or whatever you want to call it seems to be in it's last foot. The ravers are trashy, Neo-Nazis are living off wellfare and crystal meth along with the jugallos who seem to multiply whenever there is a show produced by Psychotic records in town. And then there's the scene and Deathcore faggots whom everyone's always hated. Everyone else is trendy as fuck.

Fuck Reno. Don't ever come here.

matrixmetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 am 

Seattle reporting for duty. I couldn't really ask for anything more really. Big shows, small shows, big bands, small venues, excellent scene. 5☆★☆★☆

The only other scene I experienced was London, UK from 1989-1993 which was extremely good from a gig perspective. But really, Seattle scene is no stage diving ever! Back in the day stage diving was expected.

Are any scenes out there still stage diving at extreme metal gigs at small venues?
[edit: fuck it. i'm gonna make a thread for stage diving scene reports}

SySTematic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:51 pm 

DFW Metroplex:

we have ALOT of scene/emo/hardcore/metalcore bands around here. its really annoying. they're either JFAC worship or Underoath worshippers. we have a couple of actual metal bands around though. One example being my band, The Fregoli Delusion, My Son My Executioner, and Obelisk.

Putrid_Grind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:46 am 

None, unless you count Christian rap/metalcore and rap deathcore bands like "Fight Money" as a metal scene. The very few bands from around these parts have always been -core + rap, with alternating ratios.

Although there is a crappy old alternative metal band that's been around since like the 90s but never made it from my town. I don't know whether to think "bless their little hearts for keeping it going" or "biggest losers.....ever." There's a kickass thrash metal band also from my town, who's going on tour with Hirax soon; and they've only been around for like 2 years, if not less. It's kinda sad that a band that's only been around for 2 years has accomplished tons more than a band that's been around here for close to a decade. :nono:

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:05 am 

I live in the Tulsa area of Oklahoma.

From what I've seen, there's a lot of hardcore/screamo/deathcore bands. Not a lot of 'big' bands here either. I guess that's good, if you make a band and you happen to be good, you can get noticed very easily.

Though, there's a few bands I can give credit to for being good. Divine Pustulence is an awesome death metal band. Rituals of a Blasphemer was a good OKC black metal band, but I heard they moved to Texas. There might be a few more notable bands, but nothing is coming to mind.

CrownOvHorns
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:17 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
No, you guys have Shihad. That's pretty good to me, and Dawn of Azazel. I really need to look into the Australasian ring of fire - some damn good bands coming from there.

Dude, Ozzy are you intentionally fucking with me? Shihad?! Thats a joke of a pop band that used to be alternative rock at the best of times in the late 90's. Utter shit, that only Jocks and people who listen to commercial radio are into. youre not serious are you? They suck more cock than anyone. as for Dawn Of Azazel, no self-respecting NZmetaller takes that band seriously. Besidesthe fact that theyre shit, they have a cop in their band; nuff said. the only good wellington metal bands are Gaywyre, Dauntless and Backyard Burial.

Master of Blindness from Wellington High are pretty good.

metalistkrieg
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:22 pm 

I live in the metal capital of the world....HAWAII!!!! LOL

Nah the scene here is pretty much shit. There are some faggot screamo bands but hardly any real metal bands. Hawaii had a pretty good scene back in the 80's-90's. There were some great bands that came from here, Sacred Rite, Malisha, Aaronsrod, Rat Attack, Hawaii, Vixen (not the female band), and a few more.

~Guest 153662
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:46 pm 

Vegas? 4 letters. S-H-I-T

MetalHearted
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:16 pm 

overkill666 wrote:
I live in the Tulsa area of Oklahoma.

From what I've seen, there's a lot of hardcore/screamo/deathcore bands. Not a lot of 'big' bands here either. I guess that's good, if you make a band and you happen to be good, you can get noticed very easily.

Though, there's a few bands I can give credit to for being good. Divine Pustulence is an awesome death metal band. Rituals of a Blasphemer was a good OKC black metal band, but I heard they moved to Texas. There might be a few more notable bands, but nothing is coming to mind.

If you like slam, Disembowled Corpse is worth a listen.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:38 pm 

Deadly_Slaughter wrote:
Vegas? 4 letters. S-H-I-T

There's a few Black Metal bands and Doom Snake Cult. Plus, you guys get better shows.

blodiapunchingjin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:45 am 

I'm from Carrollton, a suburb of northern Dallas. It's a pretty nice suburb in places, but there are virtually no bars or clubs, so that equals no scene. (Though a few teens here do know some real metal). But I did go to the University of North Texas in Denton for over three years, and Denton is awesome. I still go up there to see bands (it's only a thirty minute drive). One of the biggest is Wrought Of Obsidian (formerly Hyperion), best known for having Eric Park of Devourment on drums. Bunch of other bands too, from early thrash/speed revival Electric Vengeance to progressive rock/metal Shaolin Death Squad.

Swiss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:38 pm 

Despite having spawned the likes of well-known and kickass bands such as Death and Morbid Angel, the Florida metal scene is hardly bustling nowadays, at least where I live. However, I haven't been paying attention to my local metal scene lately, so it could be bigger than I suspect.

When I was more up to date with the scene I saw many BMTH, Lamb of God, and (failed) Dragonforce clones. I assume it hasn't changed.

Sanaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:09 pm 

Swiss wrote:
Despite having spawned the likes of well-known and kickass bands such as Death and Morbid Angel, the Florida metal scene is hardly bustling nowadays, at least where I live. However, I haven't been paying attention to my local metal scene lately, so it could be bigger than I suspect.

When I was more up to date with the scene I saw many BMTH, Lamb of God, and (failed) Dragonforce clones. I assume it hasn't changed.

I like Diabolic from Florida, a good Immolation/Deicide influenced death metal band. I'd say anyone who is interested on their local should run an advanced search for their hometown in archives. This way I found out that Skepticism is from my current hometown.

Swiss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:10 pm 

Sanaton wrote:
Swiss wrote:

I like Diabolic from Florida, a good Immolation/Deicide influenced death metal band. I'd say anyone who is interested on their local should run an advanced search for their hometown in archives. This way I found out that Skepticism is from my current hometown.

I haven't heard much from Diabolic, but I liked what little I did. Also, I did do an advanced search for my hometown, which turned up nothing. :ugh:

Most of the more well-known bands have come from Tampa, which isn't far from where I live actually. Diabolic, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Iced Earth, Kamelot, Hate Eternal, Nocturnus, Deicide, Trivium, and Six Feet Under are all from Tampa. Cannibal Corpse are also based there now. That's a lot of bands that most people know of, but as of the last five years most of the scene is being overrun with -core. With Tampa being so close by and with that history it is likely that my local scene is suffering because most of the emerging bands tend to flock there instead.

Last edited by Swiss on Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:32 pm 

I live in a tiny town - 1 square mile. There's, as far as I know, about 5 active bands from around here. A few decent death/thrash bands.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:45 pm 

Currently the only metal band that I actually listen to from my town is Evil Survives. Not too big on most of the other bands from around here that I've heard, except for old Besieged. I didn't like them at all when I saw them open for Razor, seems like they changed their sound to a more Gothenburg thrash like Blood Tsunami or something. Maybe I was just too wasted. Some of the other bands I think are ok, like Psychotic Gardening (I used to work with their bassist, he's a sweet character) but aren't really my "thing". I don't really go to local shows anyway unless there's a killer headlining band, like Sacrifice this November!

xfrostovawakeningx
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:09 pm 

in newcastle (aus), there's a haaaalf decent hardcore scene (barely any scene shit at all really, mainly a lot of 80s/early 90s influenced stuff)
however, there's barely any kind of a discernable metal scene. occasionally there is some godawful "thrash"/standard heavy metal band playing at my local, but that's it. myself and a couple of friends aim to change this very soon haha.

piratehooker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:34 pm 

All ive found was this metalcore band called Through Terror though they werent too bad. Oh and Minsk is from Peoria, as well as mudvayne (though they barely count as metal at all anymore)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3