Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:10 am 

Everybody knows that the Metal Archives has strict definitions on what constitute as "metal." But what is less known is that there are non-metal exceptions in the Archives that are thought to be relevant to the metal scene. There are those proto-metal bands like Deep Purple, Rush, and Thin Lizzy which were highly influential, but there are also acts like Wongraven, Mortiis, and Arditi, which are essentially just some form of dark ambience, darkwave, or dungeon synth. Now, I know the MA won't have add any more exceptions, nor do I think that they will remove these non-metal exceptions any time soon, but I am personally not a huge fan of them in the Archives because I feel they just add some more clutter and most of these are probably not known to the majority of metalheads who aren't super passionate about underground black metal. I will say though I do like the [i]Die Verbannten Kinder Evas[/i ]track. But what are your thoughts? Are you okay with them being in the Archives? Assuming they will allow it, what other non-metal entries would you add because of their relevance or adjacency to metal?

Ravenlord266
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:25 am 

To me those few exceptions add way less to the clutter than perhaps the tens of thousands of absolute bottom tier bedroom "bands" or stuff like those "official" bootlegs that are totally fucking up the Metallica page.

At least Mortiis has a legacy and an interesting story connected to the history of the Black metal genre. Jerry who works at the local grocery store, who plays all instruments and churns out five demo's each week for each of his twelve one-man projects does not.

Might just be me though.

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Some cultures radiate "I peaked in high school" energy, metal culture radiates "I peaked when somebody else peaked in high school" energy.

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:09 am 

I like the proto-metal selections, the ones you mentioned, along with others like Bang, Sir Lord Baltimore, etc deserve to stay. I would actually love more proto metal like Coven being included but I know it'll never happen

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:29 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
...I feel they just add some more clutter...

Honest question here: with over 177,000 bands currently present in the archive, are those few examples really "clutter"? Do they impede a person's ability to find bands that they are looking for?

I'm impressed with how massive the archive has grown to be over the decades.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:03 am 

A reason why Thin Lizzy deserve their place on here beyond the "proto" tag: Thunder and Lightning.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:12 am 

aidane154 wrote:
I like the proto-metal selections, the ones you mentioned, along with others like Bang, Sir Lord Baltimore, etc deserve to stay. I would actually love more proto metal like Coven being included but I know it'll never happen

Agreed. Would love more of these bands to appear on the Archives.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:21 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
but there are also acts like Wongraven, Mortiis, and Arditi, which are essentially just some form of dark ambience, darkwave, or dungeon synth

It's bands like these that I'd really like to know the rationale for their inclusion. Stuff like Wongraven or Neptune Towers I can maybe see as they're projects of pretty significant metal musicians. Arditi, Puissance, Arcana and a few others however are not. Those projects do have members in some metal bands, but none that anyone actually talks about.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:30 pm 

I definitely appreciate the inclusion of proto metal bands. The inclusion of darkwave, dungeon synth, etc doesn't really bother me. I don't think there's much of a clutter effect.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:37 pm 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
I feel they just add some more clutter and most of these are probably not known to the majority of metalheads who aren't super passionate about underground black metal.

let's be real, nobody gives a shit about MOST of the "underground black metal" on the MA, even huge diehard black metal people, lmao
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:11 pm 

Blue Oyster Cult need to be added to the archives under the 'exceptions' rule because of their large and obvious influence on the metal genre.

Either include both BOC and Rush on the archives under this rule or don't include either. Be consistent, please.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:03 pm 

I will refrain from talking about some metal bands not included here, but the fact that we have a bunch of dated neoclassical darkwave acts instead is just another example of the mods being hypocrites. Elend may be kinda cool and have connections to Deathspell Omega, but they're not metal in the least and should not be here.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:16 pm 

Call me old and cynical, but at this point I couldn't care less about bands being in or out of the Archives. I do care about this being one of my most frequently visited sites in the last, well seems like forever, and I am grateful for its existence and the work of everyone going into it.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:01 pm 

I'm sort of neutral on this. I know it's a tough call with certain bands and they have almost certainly debated these bands extensively.
While I would agree it is probably necessary for completist sake to document all the amateur worthless Zarach Baal Tharagh type one-kid-in-his-basement "Bands" out there, if the majority of these disappeared from the archives, I doubt most people would even notice. (And many of these so-called "bands" really do scrape the bottom of the barrel. I've heard some that make ZBT sound like Dragon Force by comparison!)

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:37 am 

Then there are bands that stopped being metal but are still on the archives or their albums are. I'd say at least don't include non-metal albums once a band stops being metal.

Then there's the weird removal of Slaughter to Prevail. Not sure what the reasoning there is.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:34 pm 

I'm all for including artists like Mortiis, who played a pivotal role and have a very real legacy in black metal. Mortiis was important for his role in Emperor, but also because his dungeon synth material is very much aligned with the black metal ethos and aesthetics of the time. He influenced and was influenced by black metal.

I don't see them as cluttering the Archives, and I really don't see how they could cause much confusion. They are not categorized under "black metal", and also, I'm fairly certain that there aren't all that many people who aren't at least a little bit versed in the black metal culture who stumble upon his page.

VaderCrush
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:16 pm 

What do they clutter? How do you find stuff like that without intentionally seeking it out? Do people really just go to the band listing on this website and scroll through them one by one or something?

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:16 am 

personally, i'd remove the non-metal proto/influencers just so we'd get less people crying over "how is rush considered metal, but my fave nu-core band isn't???"

the non-metal side projects i'd remove on the basis that it's completely arbitrary which ones should be included and which ones not. if a member of a metal band has/had a side project that's relevant to the history of metal, you can have all the info about it on the person's bio

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:41 am 

hallowed78 wrote:
Call me old and cynical, but at this point I couldn't care less about bands being in or out of the Archives. I do care about this being one of my most frequently visited sites in the last, well seems like forever, and I am grateful for its existence and the work of everyone going into it.

Well said.
I logged in to say a variation of this. I've been here a long time, and I love every second of it. I don't view anything listed as clutter, its all information to me, and that's why I'm here.
Thank you to everybody involved.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:49 am 

darthlazy wrote:
hallowed78 wrote:

Well said.
I logged in to say a variation of this. I've been here a long time, and I love every second of it. I don't view anything listed as clutter, its all information to me, and that's why I'm here.
Thank you to everybody involved.

Word. It staggers me that this conversation is still happening. Make your own fucking archive if you don't like this one.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:04 pm 

What I want to know is why industrial bands are completely shut out. I can see syth driven bands but to leave out Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, and KMFDM, all of whom are heavy as fuck when they want to be, seems lacking.

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:18 pm 

traxan wrote:
What I want to know is why industrial bands are completely shut out. I can see syth driven bands but to leave out Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, and KMFDM, all of whom are heavy as fuck when they want to be, seems lacking.

Nine Inch Nails is not metal.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:17 am 

yungstirjoey666 wrote:
Assuming they will allow it, what other non-metal entries would you add because of their relevance or adjacency to metal?

I do have a soft spot for High Tide, but they weren't that popular to be hugely influential.

Released a year before Black Sabbath's first LP. Heavy guitars for sure. Proto-metal-ish? Maybe.

Last edited by Fearoth on Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:23 am 

CannibalCorpse wrote:
A reason why Thin Lizzy deserve their place on here beyond the "proto" tag: Thunder and Lightning.

Some earlier Gary Moore solo albums are absolutely shredding... They weren't prototypes, though, I guess.

About industrial bands mentioned by Traxan: They may be heavy, but no metal.

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:18 am 

I don't care if a band isn't "metal" enough for the archives, I'm here for the quality releases.

Certainly not a fan of avoiding selected albums that might be not metal enough, cause who is going to keep track of this? Even if they aren't 100% metal they might still be a part of the band's vision in a way it really fits into their discography. (Summoning - Lost Tales, Beherit - Electric Doom Synthesis...)

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:35 am 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Then there's the weird removal of Slaughter to Prevail. Not sure what the reasoning there is.

The reason a band always gets removed: They didn't start in the 80s and they got too popular. Don't get me wrong, StP blows donkey dick, but a spade is a spade.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Planetary_Misfortune
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:42 am 

traxan wrote:

Their music doesn't contain metal riffing. Rammstein is NDH. Also, claiming industrial bands are shut out is a total phallacy; for example Fear Factory, Die Krupps, and Ministry are on here.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:14 am 

traxan wrote:

KMFDM is one of my favorite bands of all time, but they are not metal. The band themselves have said many times over the years that they are not metal as well.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:15 am 

well, if you check here on wikipedia first bands mentioned are not onto this archives, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith, Blue Cheer....
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronologie_du_metal

so, where classic world is seing metal in these bands we call them hard rock - and we can see wiki don't really know when where is "heavy metal" coming from - First band is from NWOBHM and is on archives, that's Def Leppard, honestly a hard rock band to me. So there's a different approach on definition which is maybe missing here, just to explain why this and why not this?

same goes for others, like BM, like folk (Heilung?) and for punks side of metal. If you come from punks you'll consider The Exploited like metal, and it is actually on archives, where Refused is not, Converge is not....

LUCIFORUS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:45 am 

King Crimson deserves to be in the Archives for the same reason Rush is in the archives. Their impact on metal is very Noticeable. Without King Crimson, their influence on experimental metal would be inexistent, meaning if King Crimson never formed, we probably wouldn't have bands like Portal.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:42 pm 

Goethe invented black metal, might as well add him while we're at it.

Reply to topic