Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CelestialEmissary
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:32 pm 

Hi folks! After last week's great thread on Black Sabbath's Headless Cross I thought it'd be fun to look back on the first Terrorizer album. With a lineup of future metal legends and an extremely unique take on grindcore and death metal, this one is fun to revisit. Let me know your thoughts on this album as well as your favourite tunes off it!

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:05 pm 

I love this album, just everything works for it. I would have to say "After World Obliteration" is my favorite song off this album

Eyrieux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm 

I must say that even after owning (and discarding) several pressings over the years, this album never clicked with me. It always felt inferior to other classics like Repulsion's full length or Napalm Death's Peel sessions & F.E.T.O. Those records are unhinged, ferocious, dense and brutal. They still sound impressive and fresh after all these years. This album never managed to rise to such a level in my opinion.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:07 pm 

Sandoval's drums - rightfully - get loads of praise and the vocals are perfect. For me, however, it's the non-stop barrage of rhythm guitars that really seal the deal: Pintado's playing is like the grindcore version of Ramones - It's Alive. Just relentless, fierce riffs. Universally heralded classic with damn good reason.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:49 pm 

It's a great album, and the full dynamic range CD version I have makes it even better. I think of it as a more refined companion to Bolt Thrower's Realm of Chaos, maybe not as brutal but makes up for it in technical proficiency.

Also, I remember seeing some talk over the years about Pete Sandoval supposedly only using one kick pedal on it, like in this old thread, but many of the parts sound impossible to play without two. I'm guessing that rumour might be due to confusion whether the album was recorded before or after Altars of Madness, because apparently he hadn't played double kick before joining Morbid Angel.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 pm 

This album is am all timer. One of my favorites. I keep this one in the rotation. Absolutely timeless.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm 

For an album that was made in 1989, is an amazing record. It's like Morbid Angel's take on grindcore and before they even were Morbid Angel. It's crazy to think that albums that were considered landmarks of what is heavy in music were released just a couple of years earlier. While being a late 80s album, the influence that this thing had in all the subsequent grindcore and death metal albums that were released is just absurd. Other cool thing is that this album was produced by legendary death metal producer Scott Burns, it's almost like a primitive way of playing hardcore, it's one of the earliest mixes between hardcore punk and death metal. A classic of extreme music, and a must listen for all fans of hardcore and metal worldwide.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:03 pm 

Masterclass in in grindcore. And it got to introduce the world to Jesse Pintado and Oscar Garcia!

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:21 pm 

Front to back, might be my favorite early grindcore full-length (though if all of Scum was the same quality as Side A, that'd be a different story). The performances are so tight and this really feels like the first grindcore release to shed that kind of punk looseness that you hear in Repulsion and early Napalm Death. Dead Shall Rise is probably my favorite track of the bunch.

Reply to topic