* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:32 pm 

EDIT: Album artwork.

Orden Ogan have released a song from their forthcoming album The Order of Fear:

Going with a ballad as their lead single was a bold choice but I actually really like it. That solo especially is really nice. I'm a huge fan of their signature super-bright sounding guitar tone as well. Their last album, Final Days, was a misstep imo but this is a strong start.

Last edited by tahu157 on Fri May 17, 2024 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:28 pm 

I thought Final Days wasn't nearly as strong as Gunmen, so hoping for this to be better. Some of the lyrics are a bit awkward but I can look past that. It's a fairly typical power ballad but it's well written and executed.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:52 am 

Not too bad, but I'm hoping they put out an energetic power metal song soon.

"Gunmen" is indeed fantastic. "Final Days" was quite disappointing in comparison.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:22 am 

My least favorite Power Metal sound, a song I feel I've listened to dozens of times before. Quick pass.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:14 am 

I liked the song. The ballad doesn't worry me at all. I have more faith in Orden Ogan than almost any band out there. I don't see them drastically altering their style.

Final Days might actually be my favourite record of theirs. Each of the last 4 are incredible, but Final Days is probably their most even record in terms of quality.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:20 am 

Not a bad tune. One of the most inconsistent bands out there though... seems like every other album just doesn't hit for me. Final Days had some good enough songs, but there was this really overly glossy, shallow feel to it overall, not a lot of lasting impact. I still miss the more intricate songwriting from the Vale album, that was more of a prog twist to it and just seemed more interesting.

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:50 am 

It's a pretty nice tune, but I'm anxiously awaiting to hear more and see if it's any better. Both Gunmen and Final Days were my most played albums of the years they came out, so Orden Ogan haven't lost me like they seem to have for some.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:36 pm 

Orden Ogan has always hit the mark for me, based on this song I can rest assured that will be the case for the next album. Good theatrical video, and a haunting melody that hooks everything together while conveying the living hell that is Alister Vale's immortality. Looking forward to more.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:15 am 

I just noticed that Orden Ogan changed labels to Reigning Phoenix Music, which is the parent label of Atomic Fire Records. They'd been with AFM Records for basically their entire career. I wonder what happened? Did they just get a really good contract with Reigning Phoenix Music or did something happen with AFM?

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:27 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
I just noticed that Orden Ogan changed labels to Reigning Phoenix Music, which is the parent label of Atomic Fire Records. They'd been with AFM Records for basically their entire career. I wonder what happened? Did they just get a really good contract with Reigning Phoenix Music or did something happen with AFM?

RPM snapped up Helloween from Nuclear Blast as well recently, so I think it might just be the better deal they're getting.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:02 am 

I really wanted to like this one, but just couldn't get into it. It's not that it's a ballad - Orden Ogan has proven they can write them very well - this one didn't do it for me. I hope their next release at least reaches the heights that Gunmen did. Final Days had some good songs, but was overall very patchy, and they even strayed into borderline Sabaton territory with "Inferno."

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:52 am 

Final Days didn't capture my attention at all when it came out. The only song I can sorta remember is Interstellar because the vocal line sounds a little bit like Genesis (The Making and Fall of Man) by Running Wild.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:13 pm 

Album artwork has been posted and the title track, The Order of Fear, is out tomorrow. The samples they've posted on Facebook sound pretty promising.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/788527133155846
https://www.facebook.com/reel/2252034391808606
https://www.facebook.com/reel/1480829816167306

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:12 am 

New song is out. They kinda do that thing where they namedrop a bunch of their old songs in the lyrics, which I think they've earned at this point. Good song too!

largadeer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:20 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
New song is out. They kinda do that thing where they namedrop a bunch of their old songs in the lyrics, which I think they've earned at this point. Good song too!

This is extremely repetitive, boring, straight to the chorus, no interesting riffs. They used to write songs that were anthemic but had surprisingly interesting song arrangements and structures, but I guess that's out of fashion in EUPM these days.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:28 pm 

Yeah not really impressed. Not bad but very bland. Glossy but it's so stagnant-sounding, not really seeming to have much momentum and yet not being terribly heavy or complex either. A song like this should have some absolutely thundering, skull crushing rhythms and riffs, if it's going to be this sort of sing-along mid-tempo thing. The vocals are well done but there's something stiff about everything they do - a rigidity that just robs it of liveliness.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:28 pm 

Killer song. Orden Ogan is one of the few bands that does every tempo well. I love the artwork too. Very excited for this to come out!

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:11 pm 

largadeer wrote:
straight to the chorus

Not gonna lie, that does bother me. If I were being super cynical, I would point out that arriving at the chorus inside of 30 seconds is perfect timing for a Tiktok. I'm not sure if that's a fair accusation or not though.

Still, I like the song and it's landing better than pretty much everything on Final Days.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:48 pm 

Oof, this reminds me of a particularly silly song by the thankfully long-gone Norther, where they just dropped song titles thinking it was an acceptable way to write lyrics. As for this one, the chorus is decent, but everything else feels too formulaic. It seems like they're trying too hard to be anthemic and arena-ready... which they always were. I don't quite understand it.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 4:16 pm 

Third single:

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 4:55 pm 

Is this their most basic chorus yet?
Quote:
Moon fire
Moon fire (Fire of the)
Moon fire
Fire of the
Moon fire
Moon fire (Fire of the)
Moon fire
Fire of the moon

Also it does the exact same thing as the last single where it goes up 3 semitones for the last chorus. Wait, now that I think about it the first single did that too. Is every song on the album going to have that key change?

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 6:37 pm 

Good lord Orden is getting stale, I knew End of Days was pretty lame but it might just continue.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:10 pm 

This is one of the only times I haven't been super excited about an Orden Ogan single. I have a lot of faith in the band that this will be a great record, but this is one of the most basic songs they've ever done.

Reply to topic