Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:54 am 

https://visigothofficial.bandcamp.com/a ... erors-oath

I'm certainly looking forward to this one. Hopefully a worthy followup to their excellent debut.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 am 

That single is fucking awesome. Hopefully the rest of the album follows suit.
Violet Evergarden
After That: In This Corner of the World and Land of the Lustrous

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:52 am 

Wow, can't believe it's been three years. This has been my most anticipated follow-up for a long time.

Banach
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 pm 

The single sounded pretty good. Nice catchy main riff and I like the vocals. Definitely sounds like the same band as on the revenant king. Looking forward to this.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:11 pm 

I've gotten some time to get into their debut in the last year so I'm pretty hyped for this.

PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:15 pm 

Single kicked ass, pre-ordering this for sure. Been waiting a long time...

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:23 pm 

Wasted no time pre ordering the vinyl/shirt bundle. What fantastic news to wake up to as these guys are a favorite of mine.

No longer will I mention them in every anticipation thread anymore! :-P

PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:28 pm 

Looks like they reined in the track lengths a bit: https://itunes.apple.com/album/1319988717

One of my few issues with the debut was that some of the less-excellent tracks went on a little too long, so if we get short and sweet stuff here like on Final Spell I'd be pretty happy. Glad to see there's no re-recording either, since the "Creature of Desire" re-recording was inferior.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 pm 

That was a pretty fucking sweet song. Nice meaty guitars. I'm glad they reined in the song lengths too - the debut was good but got to be a bit much played as a whole. This one could be more concise and stronger for it.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:41 pm 

Oh hell yes!! These guys, Wrathblade and Eternal Champion are on fire!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 pm 

i ended up not really replaying the debut but the new song sounds better than i remember anything on the debut being.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:28 pm 

Great track...

New Visigoth probably means more touring which means no time for new Caladan Brood material. Sad.

Spiner202
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 pm 

The album as a whole is really good. Lots of epic moments, and a very similar feel overall to the debut. I didn't find their to be as many standout tracks, but I also had a similar experience with The Revenant King being a grower. I have no doubt this will get a ton of plays, likely be a top 10 album of the year for me.

pfk505
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:14 pm 

Horace Bones wrote:
Great track...

New Visigoth probably means more touring which means no time for new Caladan Brood material. Sad.

My thoughts exactly ;) but I do like Visigoth as well, though, just not half as much.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 pm 

Got the promo in and just gave it my first full listen this evening. It's really fucking good, you guys.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 pm 

Count me among all those exited for this. The single is great and I loved their debut, so the expectations are high.

caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:51 am 

Just preordered it straight out, which I don't do often these days. Revenant King, mammoth rider, arcane mists and the MR cover were some of my most listened to songs last year. All up I'm pretty pumped for it!

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:06 am 

I listened to the single last night after work. Sounds great IMO. Probably my most anticipated release this year.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 am 

Really liked TRK and had no idea another record was on tap. Hopefully they tour close by.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 am 

I ran into Jake over the summer in SLC. I guess they've had it recorded for a while but were keeping things quiet until the timing with the band/label worked out. Should be a music video out in the next couple weeks, too. I'm guessing they'll at least do a West Coast headlining tour then probably support for a bigger band around the rest of the US.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:54 am 

I love their cover of Necropolis, but then again that song is so good its going to be hard to fuck up.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:34 pm 

New song sounds fucking badass; just rocks the fuck out, like Dungeon Master and Creature of Desire. And yeah, gonna echo the sentiment that it's good they decided to rein in song lengths a little bit. Gonna make the album a whole lot punchier, for sure.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:10 pm 

Horace Bones wrote:
Great track...

As much as I love Visigoth, Caladan Brood is near and dear to me as well. Not really a fan of any Summoning worship minus Caladan. Only ones to put a truly unique spin on the sound.

Same goes for Gallowbraid.... :(

PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:44 pm 

Every time Northern Silence updates their upcoming releases list the Gallowbraid stuff is still on there, so I don't think that's completely at a standstill. Pretty easy to see how Visigoth might have slowed down other projects, though.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:27 pm 

I feel the same way... I like Visigoth but it's sort of sad to see it taking up so much of Jake's time. I'd much rather have some new Gallowbraid or Caladan Brood material. The problem is it's not like he puts out the Visigoth album, does some shows, and then goes into another project. Visigoth toured off and on for a good 2 years after they put out The Revenant King. They may very well do that for Conqueror's Oath as well.

I'm not sure about that "new" Gallowbraid album either. It's been on Northern Silence's upcoming releases since at least 2015.

I found this post from Jake back from October 2014 on Facebook:

Actually, I do have a new album almost completely finished. Vocals are all that's left. I'm just not going to announce anything until I have solid dates so that people aren't left hanging like last time. wink emoticon;) (I announced a new album a year ago, decided I hated it during tracking, scrapped the whole thing, and wrote a new one - hence the delay. More info on this after the new album is released). I will say with absolute certainty, however, that there is an album on its way and it isn't too far from completion. I will just never announce anything without full completion ever again, haha. Hope this helps shed a little light on the situation for ya. Cheers!

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:38 pm 

Sounds like the guy is just having more fun playing this type of metal I think. And i have to say this project has that certain 'magic' in their sound and it is hard to explain. I guess what mean is they exist along side their contemporaries pounding out traditional/speed metal well enough but the music these guys create just shine a bit brighter. pre-ordered!

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:13 pm 

Huh, didn't realize Jake was in Caladan Brood as well. But people who think a solo or duo project will ever tour are nuts. And this album/tour cycle will keep him busy for the next year at least anyway. Personally, I love Agalloch and Summoning but don't give a shit about their clone bands so I don't understand the hype anyway.

Anyway, I have this album already. It's at least as good as the first one, but with the added benefit of shorter songs. Get stoked, people.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:02 am 

I am unbelievably excited for this new LP, and if this one track is any indication, it's going to be a monster. The Revenant King was my favourite album of 2015, and has garnered hundreds upon hundreds of listens. I have complete and total faith that these guys will deliver an outstanding follow up!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:11 am 

I love the shit out of the debut and this single makes me believe I'll feel even stronger for its successor. Great band.

and yeah, i need more caladan brood too.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:34 am 

Funny to see people complaining about the length of The Revenant King. Overlong recordings are my default complaint about everything in pretty much any genre of music... but I don't feel that way about TRK at all! I love every minute of it, such a great record where every song is incredibly memorable and well-written. Although if Jake's vocals weren't so strong, the music would feel it's length, I think. It really reminds me of the 80s, not so much in style (although thats obviously the case), but in the way that a band's debut is so mindfuckingly good, with a unique voice already established.

That said: the new song is great, but it doesn't make me think that the record will top the last one. It feels like a different style, it's lacking a little bit in the epic Omen/Solstice mashup department. Sounds a bit more traditional/NWOBHM influenced? This will still probably be one of my favorite albums of the year, but reigning in the sprawling songs is actually a disappointment to me. Hopefully this is just the "Creature of Desire" of the new record (god I fucking love that song anyway). The guitar solos sound better than ever, though.

On the topic of a tour, I'm dreaming that support from Metal Blade juuuuust miiiiight be enough to draw out Atlantean Kodex for their first (?) American tour. Probably pretty unlikely, but Visigoth would be a perfect match... throw in Eternal Champion if Blake can take a break from Power Trip. You can't tell me people wouldn't flock out for a lineup like that, even in the states.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:06 am 

I would absolutely love it Atlantean Kodex came out to North America, but I don't think that'll be the case, unfortunately. I've read interviews with multiple band members, and they all seem to indicate that they will never be a touring band, as day jobs for most (if not all) members are of extreme importance. Hell, if those 3 bands were to tour NA, I'd throw all my money at it. Alas, we can all dream!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:04 am 

New single sounds tame and kind of generic to me, but I loved the debut (and it had some so-so tracks). I'll check this out for sure.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:58 am 

More of the same, wich is not bad at all in this case.. let's see how the full length does :)

DrummingEdge133
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:09 am 

New single sounded good. Powerful and inspired. Great singing. This singer is quite awesome. This band definitely has my attention now, after listening to their debut and this new single just now.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:43 pm 

Something about this band rubs me up the wrong way. I don't get the fuss. Metal-by-numbers and, perhaps, a bit too polished for the vibe it's trying to capture.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:49 pm 

I've always thought the way the vocals are done is too overtly grandiose and a bit forced at times, though the singer himself is very talented. It's just the way he sings the melodies, with the super over the top and layered choruses and very dramatic way of singing - it doesn't always work for me. But people have not seemed to understand what I mean when I've said this before.

I think they're really good as songwriters though - metal by numbers, maybe, but for riffs and energy they're fairly legit I think. You can tell they're influenced a lot by what they listened to growing up, and I'll always prefer the actual genuine old bands to this stuff, but eh it's still good music anyway.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:01 pm 

Honestly, if they had a less talented vocalist I might be inclined to agree about the singing being kind of melodramatic. Jake makes this stuff work though; that rough, thunderous baritone could make songs about paying taxes sound badass.

And as for the overt polish, well, I'm generally inclined to think that an album sounding old =/= better. I like old school production values just as much as the next guy, but I also like being able to hear stuff clearly on a record. Hell, this new song sounds rougher than the debut, which actually WAS a bit too glossy for the sound it was going for.

DrummingEdge133
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:45 pm 

I don't think there's anything by-the-numbers of this band. Not being highly original doesn't mean it's by-the-numbers. The band has the energy and inspiration to make this somewhat unoriginal style work (I actually don't see a lot of these heavy/power bands floating around, compared to the dime a dozen black metal or death metal bands you can find). The songwriting is good as well. I loved the sprinkling of doom they put into some songs, like the closer. Blatant doom passage towards the end of that song, which was great.

Empyreal even said in his Grand Magus review, 'we need more bands like this.' Granted, that's kind of an old review, but here's one such band. Here's one that's really good. What is there to complain about?

This singer, Jake, is superb. He makes this band go from decent heavy/power, to superb with highly energetic and powerful anthems. His singing is perfect, and I hope he keeps at it, because he's just simply really damn good. I can see grumbling a bit at the long song lengths, or the band not reinventing the wheel (originality doesn't equal good as we know). But to gripe about this man's singing? No way. :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:54 pm 

That's what I mean right there. People don't seem to get what I meant. He's a talented singer but his over-dramatic inflection combined with the grandiosity of the music is too rich for me nowadays. I'd prefer something more stripped down and less over the top is all. Not saying the guy sucks or the band isn't still pretty solid anyway.

DrummingEdge133
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:59 pm 

So you want more boring? Got it.

There's nothing about what he's doing that's unusual for the style either. He's an unoriginal, but highly talented singer....

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next