02 – “Where Paradise Fades”
03 – “Temple Of The Sun”
04 – “Devouring Radiant Light”
05 – “The Luminous Sky”
06 – “The Vault”
07 – “Carnarium Eternal”
08 – “Sacred Soil”

Youtube: show

What can be said except for "FUCK YEAH NEW SKELETONWITCH ALBUM!"? I can't listen to the song just yet, but I already see it's eight minutes long! They explored some longer, more intricate structures on their first E.P. with the new vocalist, and I liked where that was going, especially because they were starting to sound more black metal. That E.P. was a fine product of musical evolution, and I expect this album will feed off that theme as well, but in a more amplified manner. Even though I definitely didn't want to see Chance go when he did (love the dude's vocals and presence), I think having some fresh blood really incited a change that they needed.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:00 pm 

The new song sounds awesome. I was actually never a huge fan of this band, but really enjoyed Apothic Gloom and this new single is even better.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:27 pm 

That was unthrashy for them but I liked it.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Gunslinger21
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:55 pm 

Awesome band, I remember these guys when they had just put out Beyond The Permafrost, seems like yesterday. Can't wait to see what they do in the future and how far they go with the black metal sound.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:28 am 

Wow, that was good, but it seriously sounds like a completely different band. From punchy 2 min death/thrash to 8 min black tinged melodicism :o

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:54 am 

I didn't really like that at all, but I think that's just cranky old fan syndrome coming out. Skeletonwitch were one of the first metal bands I ever saw live and I'll always have a special place in my heart for them. I was so disappointed with Chance left, and while this new guy is fine on record he doesn't have 1/100th the stage presence Chance did. When I saw them live on the Decibel tour a couple years back it was like a completely different band. This new song is not what I want from Skeletonwitch at all and a huge disappoint for someone who loved their old galloping melodic blackened thrash sound. If they want to sound like a chunkier version of Wodensthrone or something that's fine, but I kind of wish they would've put it out under a different name. Then again I guess there could be more songs like their old stuff on the new record. And if not but people enjoy this new stuff anyway more power to them I guess.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:14 am 

I definitely share your sentiments about the earlier sound and Chance - it is after all the reason I got into them. All their songs were 2-4 minutes, but packed FULL of intense black/thrash done right. Now it feels like they're going towards a straight melodic black/death sound, which I'm also okay with. The reason I'm okay with it is, for one, we still have those great albums they made; and plus they've always been good about playing songs from their earlier albums live and I don't expect that to change. Two, they have been using that sound for so long that a change is welcome, both on their side and from the fans. It's not that we don't love the old sound, but they have clearly grown as musicians and people, and the evolution of their sound is simply a by-product of that. Since they are one of my favorite bands, I will probably support them no matter what, and I definitely want to go into this album with an open mind to see what they have to bring to the table.

That said, I love the new song. Incredible musicianship and atmosphere. I think it does a great job of picking up where the E.P. left off, which is great because I found myself wanting more after the E.P. was over. It'll be interesting to see whether or not they change it up throughout the album or maintain a consistent atmosphere.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:34 am 

Fucking loved that. I've never really been into Skeletonwitch (what I have heard is good, but I never really had much of a motivation to look into them further), but that's probably gonna change with this album, especially if they stay on this meloblack path that the song indicates they're going on.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:56 am 

I definitely miss the core elements of the Chance-era albums but this song is pretty decent. Even at their best, Skeletonwitch was never what I'd call a songwriter's band so this could be a good move for them. Serpents Unleashed felt stale to me and the EP was decent.

Necropanther's new album might end up being more like Skeletonwitch than the real thing.

Ezadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:16 pm 

Truth be told, I always felt Chance Garnette (never going to get over that ridiculously Final Fantasy-esque name) was the weakest link in Skeletonwitch. His lows were average and his highs just felt lacking to me. The new vocalist seems to mostly stick with screams, but I think he's much better than Chance in that respect.

That being said, this new song is kind of a swing and a miss. I don't mind a change in sound, per se, but aside from a couple of decent riffs, the song just wasn't grabbing my attention, and the fact that it's eight minutes long doesn't help matters. I'll give it another try to see if it sinks in better with repeated listens, but at first listen, it doesn't bode well.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:57 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
Truth be told, I always felt Chance Garnette (never going to get over that ridiculously Final Fantasy-esque name) was the weakest link in Skeletonwitch. His lows were average and his highs just felt lacking to me. The new vocalist seems to mostly stick with screams, but I think he's much better than Chance in that respect.

I'll admit he wasn't the most talented vocalist out there, but he had a lot of character and was equally competent pulling off both lows and highs. But more importantly, his stage presence was fucking unparalleled. The guy had more attitude and energy than almost any other frontman I've ever seen.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:48 am 

On first listen, this is better than I expected. Not amazing but a very enjoyable black metal album.

narsilianshard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:54 am 

I love Adam Clemans but I'm frustrated he doesn't use his full vocal range in Skeletonwitch. If you check out his work with Noose Rot it's clear he has lot more to work with.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:17 pm 

Honestly, this is going to be a solid AotY candidate for me. My preorder came in on Wednesday and it's basically been playing non-stop since. The Luminous Sky is probably my favourite song so far.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm 

Skeletonwitch has been my favorite band since Beyond the Permafrost was unleashed, and Devouring Radiant Light is a big let down for me. It feels dull and lifeless and lacks any of the punch of their previous albums. It's clear to me The Apothic Gloom is their transitional release, but I wish they'd stuck a little closer to that. Serpents Unleashed might not have been very memorable, but this is yet another step down in that department.

Here's to hoping it's a grower I guess. I've listened to it 6 times and I'm not feeling any movement on that spectrum yet unfortunately.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:47 pm 

I made my trepidation known in the anticipated albums thread so I won't repeat that again here, but I'll say this: I really like "When Paradise Fades" and "Carnarium Eternal" more and more with each listen. Coincidentally, they're the two shortest songs, the closest to what they were doing prior to this, and are seemingly the band's favorites from what I've read.

If the album were 9 or 10 songs like those, I'd love it and consider it one of their best and a more natural follow-up to the EP. That's the direction I think they should focus on. The rest I can still do without. Some decent riffs here and there, though.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

KrigareTjovane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:20 am 

I'm curious if anybody knows who drummed on this album. The MA album page doesn't say and I bought it through Bandcamp so I don't exactly have liner notes. Did Dustin Boltjes do them before he left the band?

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:12 pm 

Haven't heard these guys in years but that was very impressive.

Last.fm

Reply to topic