Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:31 pm 

I love Burzum. I just feel bad about listening to him because of the church burnings and murder of Euronymous. How do you feel about Burzum?

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:22 pm 

I am not a huge fan of his music but I will spin Det som engang var now and then. He isn't singing about Nazism or anything so I can separate him from his music.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:30 pm 

Do You Listen to Burzum despite Vargs Actions?

Are there any bands you’re embarrassed about liking?

Why isn’t Nu Metal considered metal?

Bro, it seems you're in a mission to create controversial threads just for the sake of it.

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:34 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I am not a huge fan of his music but I will spin Det som engang var now and then. He isn't singing about Nazism or anything so I can separate him from his music.

Set Som En Gang Var is my favorite song by them.

You may like this song too

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce7PVdN4r ... YXJuZXQ%3D

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:39 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:

Bro, it seems you're in a mission to create controversial threads just for the sake of it.

No, I have serious questions about it. I love Burzum and Korn. I just don’t know if it’s exactly “right” to listen to Burzum for these reasons.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:41 pm 

Then don't listen to it if you're unsure.

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:46 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Then don't listen to it if you're unsure.

I love their music a lot.

Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:21 pm 

Then listen to it.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:03 pm 

Frankly I couldn't give two fucks about the church burning. As far as I'm concerned the Abrahamic religions are a cancer so I'm not really going to shed any tears about their icons being destroyed. Not saying it was the right thing to do, I just don't give a shit enough to stop supporting an artist over that particular thing.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:53 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Frankly I couldn't give two fucks about the church burning. As far as I'm concerned the Abrahamic religions are a cancer so I'm not really going to shed any tears about their icons being destroyed. Not saying it was the right thing to do, I just don't give a shit enough to stop supporting an artist over that particular thing.

You're conveniently leaving out the ass tons of nazi/intolerant rhetoric Varg has spouted on the regular for ages, as well as him being a murderer.

As for the OP, I think everyone should make their own call on where they stand morally and do what makes them feel the most comfortable. Most folks have different cut offs, and no one can really dictate what one listens to but the self.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:59 pm 

Yes I listen Burzum despite Varg

Do you like Michael Jackson despite Michael Jackson?
Or Actor like Kevin Spacey we must cancel the usual suspects?
Or Caravaggio pictures are bad because he was a cunt?
Or maybe Heidegger philosophy is unreadable because was a nazi?

It’s a cul de sac

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:04 pm 

I feel like Burzum is a cool band to be introduced in the world of black metal but after that first entry, there are much better bands to listen to.

Varg's ideology is pretty dumb, and he is a wacky character, but also his latest music is pretty lame, all that atmospheric synth music isn't really what I am looking for in black metal or any music.

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:26 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
I feel like Burzum is a cool band to be introduced in the world of black metal but after that first entry, there are much better bands to listen to.

Varg's ideology is pretty dumb, and he is a wacky character, but also his latest music is pretty lame, all that atmospheric synth music isn't really what I am looking for in black metal or any music.

Have you listened to Peste Noire or Forgotten Woods? They are extremely good. I highly recommend them.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:39 pm 

Jesus Christ man. Thexhumed was 100% right that you’re just starting ridiculous threads and posting ridiculous things to try to be controversial.

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:47 pm 

Auch wrote:
Jesus Christ man. Thexhumed was 100% right that you’re just starting ridiculous threads and posting ridiculous things to try to be controversial.

No need to be a jerk.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:01 pm 

Your recommendation from Burzum (who you seem to think is only controversial because of arson and murder but leave out the other major thing Varg is known for) is Peste Noire (who is more connected to Burzum via the ideology you didn’t mention than musical style) and you still expect to be take seriously? Come on.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:04 pm 

While pretty much everyone on this forum can agree that Varg's a bit of a weirdo, I still consider Filosofem and especially Hvis lyset tar oss to be some of my all-time personal favorites in black metal, so I can personally separate the art from the artist for a case like Burzum.

With that said, I do agree with others here that OP should pick better topics for starting threads. It was alright at first, but it's starting to get a bit redundant.

IllBeBach0213
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:07 pm 

Auch wrote:
Your recommendation from Burzum (who you seem to think is only controversial because of arson and murder but leave out the other major thing Varg is known for) is Peste Noire (who is more connected to Burzum via the ideology you didn’t mention than musical style) and you still expect to be take seriously? Come on.

The only reason I started talking on this forum is to talk to other metal fans. If people are like this on this site then I’d rather not even bother.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:07 pm 

Anybody who cares what Varg did enough to miss out on some of the best black metal ever put to tape then it's their loss.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:48 am 

Only wimps do that shit.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:13 am 

I was listening to Burzum before he started espousing his wacky ideology. Still it doesn’t matter. Burzum was majorly influential to me and I will never stop listening to the self titled to Filosofem. I didn’t get into Black Metal for a popularity contest.

Also these threads relitigating the same things over and over get rather tired. We seem to lack new things to talk about which is a shame.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:19 am 

Thexhumed wrote:

This guy has 4 topics on the first page open, and they're all the sort of questions a 14 year old would ask. They have all been asked many times before, and they're all shit questions.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

AuthorOfWoh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:24 am 

I wish they'd ban you for your fucking stupid threads because how are you recommending Peste Noire to someone who doesn't wanna listen to Varg?? This person is a troll.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:15 am 

I think the guy got it by now no need to be a needlessly aggressive prick about it.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:51 am 

Not anymore, I've heard the same songs many times. However a lot of his songs bring about a bit of nostalgia and there is some classics in the early catalog, its a shame he wouldn't go on to do a few concept albums or something inspired by his love for role playing games or something medieval fantasy themed. Don't even know what he's up to these days since he got off YouTube.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:59 am 

Very rarely at this point. Burzum feels like more of a gray area compared to most other problematic bands since he doesn’t espouse his politics and ideology in his music and also claims to despise metal.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:34 am 

I'll just say Varg's ideology and actions are not the reason I don't listen to Burzum.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:36 am 

No, because Burzum is terrible music that's boring, repetitive, badly produced and poorly played. In addition, Varg is a white supremacist, racist, sexist, homophobic piece of shit. If you think that's cool then you're probably either an edgy 14 year old or a fucking asshole.

Beyond that, why should I have to justify not listening to someone who wants me dead?

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:54 am 

Yes. In his day he was a master of the simple, repetitive yet hypnotic riff.

Thexhumed wrote:

Also this.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:05 pm 

No.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:43 pm 

yes, for sure... why not?

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:51 pm 

I don't think the OP is trying to be controversial.

I think it's far more likely that they are relatively new to this world.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:45 pm 

I will sometimes put on the pre-prison Burzum albums - I mean, they're classic, foundational black metal albums for a reason. Varg's views do not turn up in the music, so I am personally able to largely separate artist from art. I obviously don't monetarily support him in the process though, and honestly I don't really bring up or talk about that stuff unless it's necessary - like if talking about the history of black metal, or something.

Also, it's just a little amusing to me; a brown lesbian trans woman born to immigrants, listening his work when he has the beliefs he does, and there is nothing he can do about it, nor does it benefit him in any way. The man would want me dead, but I'm gonna outlive him, whilst listening to his work and watching his musical legacy live on, divorced from his own idiocy.

Willensmacht
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:33 am 

IllBeBach0213 wrote:
I love Burzum. I just feel bad about listening to him because of the church burnings and murder of Euronymous. How do you feel about Burzum?

He's a psychopath. But he'll be a psychopath whether I listen to something he recorded 30 years ago or not, so what difference does it make to me as far as throwing on a good song goes. It's not like his murderousness increases with each song play.

Willensmacht
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:37 am 

CoffeeCat wrote:
No, because Burzum is terrible music that's boring, repetitive, badly produced and poorly played. In addition, Varg is a white supremacist, racist, sexist, homophobic piece of shit. If you think that's cool then you're probably either an edgy 14 year old or a fucking asshole.

Beyond that, why should I have to justify not listening to someone who wants me dead?

Easy on the soy.

(User was warned for this post.)

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:18 am 

Filosofem is one of the greatest metal albums of all time, period. The guy may be an asshole, but there was a time when he was a real talented artist. Sadly, he lost it completely, but all the Burzum music up to Filosofem is pure genious.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:15 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I will sometimes put on the pre-prison Burzum albums - I mean, they're classic, foundational black metal albums for a reason. Varg's views do not turn up in the music, so I am personally able to largely separate artist from art. I obviously don't monetarily support him in the process though, and honestly I don't really bring up or talk about that stuff unless it's necessary - like if talking about the history of black metal, or something.

This is pretty much how I feel about it. I don't listen often, but I don't feel bad about it on the occasion when I do.

I also am not sure OP is trolling, seems like he's just new and trying to start threads people will engage with...but I could be wrong.

SkwisgaarSkwigelf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:41 am 

Of course I do.

Goatizer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:56 pm 

Well the music good but minus the old mistique it’s just not as much fun, if I never never new who these guys were I think it would have elevated it a bit like it used to be... but I guess it kind of was cool and is actually cool to address your fans but, I feel them coming across as normal people killed the hype and mistique for me, now to me burzum almost comes across as proto emo, but it’s pretty amazing the places that music takes you... I’m sick of politics I don’t care what his are, I know imitation is the highest form of flattery and everyone is fishing for compliments, however, nah, opinions are like assholes regardless of what the opinion is with politics, why bother unless you have some kind of solution. It was him coming across as a Tatar that I didn’t like, not that that shouldn’t be expected

Frozen218
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:03 pm 

The real question is, are you listening to Burzum because of Varg's actions?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next