Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:05 am 

Hey!

I love cover song, mostly when it's out of range, just like Six Feet Under did with AC/DC or DragonForce with the song from Titanic - I mean if Exodus did a cover of Slayer that wouldn't be so surprising right!

ready to give some examples of that sort? just out of an album, or an EP, or maybe a full album too (SFU but Exhumed did one also and Doro did and Blind Guardian and so on)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNMBxkh7Mg4

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:15 am 

I'm adding 2 things: this is for metal cover genre, metal covering non-metal, not for metalsongs covered by classical or country bands - and also open to christmas song, just like Helix or Twisted Sisters

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:05 am 

What I have never understood is why Meyhna'ch, being french, decided to cover Sinatra and Paul Anka's version instead of vindicating the original song "Comme d'habitude" by his compatriot Claude François.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:08 am 

that's one I never heard, thank you

maybe they did cover Sid Vicious one? if they don't use french lyrics that's maybe better fit for them?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:30 am 

atmo/melodeath Wardruna

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:56 pm 

that one is a truly respectable both sides, maybe we could focus on blasphemous covers, taking pop soaps and making it nice metal tracks ? there's some fun feeling and pervert way to disfigure (not in my way of course but you know for peoples)

I don't know so much, we got a lot in french punk, but this one :

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:00 pm 

It doesn’t get any better than this:

The original song is Where Eagles Dare.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:38 pm 

I LOVE this one, haha.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:25 am 

Motherwood - Big Long Now (Nirvana cover) is good

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:35 am 

thanx for shares!
yeah Bethlehem one is really fun, even when I don't know the original (or cant recognize!)
same for Motherwood, to me it could be one of their title as far as I know

I can't find isolated tracks for Exhumed, this is the full album, lot of metal cover but start with The Cure (not exactly pop music but ok)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omx9JEAgaMk

https://youtu.be/qRzT95QV2K8

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:08 am 

nephilim80 wrote:
Motherwood - Big Long Now (Nirvana cover) is good

Funny, I've always thought this would make a good black metal cover. I just wish they would let the notes ring in the main riff instead of the sporadic palm muting, and the chorus could maybe have a blastbeat.

That Bethlehem track had very little to do with the Iron Maiden original, without the few unaltered riffs (which stick out like a sore thumb from the rest of the track) they could have passed it off as an original. The lyrics also seemed to include shrieking about the apocalypse which is not present in the original lyrics. Completely pointless buffoonery.

So yeah, two covers of which the former is too faithful to the original and the latter is too unfaithful. It's fuckin' tricky.

CelestialEmissary
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:31 am 

In Flames' cover of Depeche Mode's "Everything Counts" on Whoracle is shockingly good. Recognizable to the original, but also fits within the rest of the album perfectly.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:14 pm 

ah yes that's a good one!

I remember then this one by Arch Enemy, some grindcover but also this Tears for fears & Oldfield & others

https://youtu.be/pjMwBtd_sbE

Saxon with their Covid LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCmcov6 ... _u91RxPQIL

And Udo My Way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5evnwB ... wkaMXPkfFb

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:16 pm 

This "Game of Thrones" main theme metal cover is certainly enjoyable. The band also added vocals.
Spoiler: show

grot3sque_int3r3st
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:24 pm 

A cover I love is "Ms Salmonella" by lifelover, covered by the band Black Hate. Although, the original song is already amazingly addicting, the cover from Black Hate is just on another level.
https://open.spotify.com/track/77lDNZEo ... xn26cgUg3Q

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:00 pm 

Lane wrote:
This "Game of Thrones" main theme metal cover is certainly enjoyable. The band also added vocals.

I didn´t like the length of the lyrics, it has good singing but the lyrics feel forced when they sing.

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:51 pm 

i love Boston's debut, so here's Anthrax covering Smokin':
https://youtu.be/2ls7ninJkKY?si=9QiMvpmXN1uffTHk

Played a bit straight, sure, but a great take nonetheless

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:57 pm 

Enslaved blew me away with their cover of "What Else Is There". Kind of an unexpected choice, which is always good, and they made it their own. The reason for recording the song is that they got invited by a local radio station to cover another Bergen artist, and they picked Röyksopp. I love the original too.

Original:

Enslaved's version:

Covering "Running up That Hill" became all the rage again recently, but in my opinion Within Temptation's version from 2003 still takes the cake. I love the guitar parts they wrote for it and Den Adel's voice just fits so perfectly. Someone on Youtube commented that WT's version makes the song come alive and I have to agree. I like it more than the original.

Original:

Within Temptation's version:

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:35 pm 

Miikja wrote:

Covering "Running up That Hill" became all the rage again recently, but in my opinion Within Temptation's version from 2003 still takes the cake. I love the guitar parts they wrote for it and Den Adel's voice just fits so perfectly. Someone on Youtube commented that WT's version makes the song come alive and I have to agree. I like it more than the original.

Original:

I quite like Jorn Lande's version.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:39 pm 

Miikja wrote:

Original:

I'm a big Kate Bush fan, and enjoy a lot of Within Temptation's albums too, so had been meaning to listen to this. I didn't like it much really. It loses the subtlety and nuance of the original, and the lack of that steady, driving rhythm is a big miss as well. The vocal lines aren't great either. Disappointed because I had high hopes for this.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:40 pm 

Nevermore's take on "Sound of Silence" is one of the better ones. Although, it's more of a reimagination of the song than a cover.

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:57 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
I'm a big Kate Bush fan, and enjoy a lot of Within Temptation's albums too, so had been meaning to listen to this. I didn't like it much really. It loses the subtlety and nuance of the original, and the lack of that steady, driving rhythm is a big miss as well. The vocal lines aren't great either. Disappointed because I had high hopes for this.

Understandable. Covers of the songs that I hold dearest rarely excite me. But I want to argue in WT's favour that they didn't merely copy the song - the lazy approach - but remade it in a style that's unequivocally theirs. They swapped nuance with bombast which I usually hate but it works here. If you want to hear a cover of "Running up That Hill" that stays closer to the original, Placebo did a very nice job at that!

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:13 pm 

hallowed78 wrote:
Nevermore's take on "Sound of Silence" is one of the better ones. Although, it's more of a reimagination of the song than a cover.

Speaking of Simon & Garfunkle, have you heard My Dying Bride's version of "Scarborough Fair"?

It's wonderfully morose.

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:37 pm 

One of my first exposures to metal was a compilation called Butchering the Beatles
Lots of the songs aren't that great, but the Alice Cooper Hey Bulldog cover with Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen Magical Mystery Tour cover with Jeff Scott Soto always stuck with me:
Hey bulldog:
https://youtu.be/JezE5PmJHwA?si=SqC3onoHEMVDsHqg
Magical Mystery Tour:
https://youtu.be/GuTvhEF3s3k?si=uxaqQh2i72SkZE5q

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:08 pm 

My new favorite ones are the Tank and Thin Lizzy covers by Sodom, awesome mix between traditional heavy metal and thrash metal, if any of you guys know songs in that style please recommend them to me.

Other classic ones are the Black Sabbath covers by Pantera and Type O Negative awesome songs all of them. Nativity in Black part I and II is an amazing covers album.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:28 pm 

I really enjoy metal bands covering The Sisters of Mercy. Some of my favorites are:

Ancient Drive - First and Last and Always
Paradise Lost - Walk Away
Cradle of Filth - No Time to Cry

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:46 pm 

If someone posts Angra's take on Wuthering Heights you are no longer a friend of mine!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:53 pm 

Crowbar - Remember Tomorrow is one of the few examples where you could say the cover beats the original.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paDVsTgrbjI

The other one being Manfred Mann's Blinded By The Light.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 am 

Miikja wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:

Understandable. Covers of the songs that I hold dearest rarely excite me. But I want to argue in WT's favour that they didn't merely copy the song - the lazy approach - but remade it in a style that's unequivocally theirs. They swapped nuance with bombast which I usually hate but it works here. If you want to hear a cover of "Running up That Hill" that stays closer to the original, Placebo did a very nice job at that!

True, I can't fault them for trying their own thing - just didn't work for me. I found the Placebo version to be a bit of a dirge if I recall correctly, although it's been a while since I heard it.

Opus wrote:
If someone posts Angra's take on Wuthering Heights you are no longer a friend of mine!

This one is a real crime against music.

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:03 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8pmtfn11cU

Evereve - House of the Rising Sun

Miikja
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:31 am 

goetia_unreleased wrote:
I really enjoy metal bands covering The Sisters of Mercy. Some of my favorites are:

Ancient Drive - First and Last and Always
Paradise Lost - Walk Away
Cradle of Filth - No Time to Cry

Paradise Lost's cover of "Walk Away" was the first time I heard that song. Some friends and I performed that version at our high school's music night with me on lead guitar. In my head I like to imagine it as a Type O Negative song, maybe with Josh Silver playing the leads on keyboard.

Reply to topic