Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:09 am 

https://loudwire.com/skid-row-part-ways ... -vocalist/

I'm not a huge fan of Skid Row, but I love Erik Grönwall's voice, so I took notice of this. He's a former Swedish Idol winner (he sang Run to the Hills and 18 and Life on the show iirc), used to sing for hard rock band H.e.a.t, and a few weeks ago he put out a great power metal album with New Horizon in collaboration with his former bandmate.

He's apparently singing on a new album coming later this year (new song tomorrow).

This is a recent re-recording he did of 18 and Life.

Last edited by lordcatfish on Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:51 am 

Such an outdated act. Some bands are better off disbanded light years ago.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:12 am 

First two Skid Row albums have been HUGE for my childhood and Sebastian's performance on them among the best ever. I always thought he was irreplaceable. But I admit after seeing the news about Erik I got really excited. I saw H.e.a.t. live back in 2018, without any idea about them (except that they were apparently great according to my hard rock lovin' friends) and holy shit, Erik was incredible. Vocally, as a frontman, the charisma and presence, everything. I'd love to see Skid Row live now.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:15 am 

Yeah, some Skid Row songs have been so overplayed that they've melted into background noise, but when you actually stop and listen to Bach's performances on those first couple albums, it's in the upper quadrant of the best metal vocal performances.

This new kid has a set of pipes.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:15 am 

The first three Skids records are great and Baz was a great performer when I caught him solo. Never paid much attnetion to SR since he left though as the reviews have not been kind. I'd probably see them live just to see some of the classic songs.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:07 am 

ironman8008 wrote:

It isn't so much that they are outdated, it's that they never found a singer that replicated the starpower of Baz. The lack of classic songs post STTG didn't help either.

Plus, a reunion wouldn't do that great of business anyway. Certainly not now. If they got back together in the late 00s or 10s it would have done the most. But now its just like, break up already. Though I guess they have more business still being around than fucking Quiet Riot, which was pathetic when it kept going without Kevin. Certain bands have no business being a brand when they aren't big enough.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Last edited by KaiKasparek on Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:13 am 

he sounds great, and i'm sure he'll kill it live. but also, who really cares? SR hasn't been worth a damn since Bach left and i doubt this will change that assessment.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:25 am 

My partner and I are seeing Skid Row open for a Scorpions Vegas residency next month. Queensryche was initially going to open, which we were really excited for only for them to jump on the Priest tour instead. With that adjustment happening, I was at least curious to see how ZP would sound singing for them only for this additional adjustment to happen. Shit just keeps getting weirder and weirder.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:40 am 

ironman8008 wrote:

I agree. Those first two records are still super fun to jam out to, but I can't imagine a scenario in which I'd want to see them live nowadays.

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:43 am 

KaiKasparek wrote:
It isn't so much that they are outdated, it's that they never found a singer that replicated the starpower of Baz. The lack of classic songs post STTG didn't help either.

To me even their first 2 lps sound now more of a nostalgia than a relevant listening. A classic yes, but not quite essential imo.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:05 pm 

Relevant listening? What does that even mean?

ironman8008
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:04 pm 

Something interesting in terms of composition and/or performance. For me at least.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:43 pm 

I'm hard pressed to think of an album that sounds like Slave to the Grind. A glam band starts picking up heavier influence after palling around with Pantera and Metallica, resulting in a mishmash of heavy metal, groove, thrash, glam, and even a bit of punk that somehow sounds cohesive and topped the Billboard. Not much else out there with that sort of blend, let alone anything pulling it off that well.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:20 pm 

Slave to the Grind is a killer metal album full of great guitar playing and great vocals. I'll put that album up against most anything else coming out at the time in mainstream metal. The debut probably has my favorite ballad of all time on it as well as some other great cuts like Piece of Me. Sure its 'dated' just like everything else.

Subhuman Race is very good as well but they were running out of steam at that time.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:07 am 

Wow super happy for him. This seems almost like Ripper joining Priest in the 90's as Sebastian Bach is probably his biggest vocal influence. Also he had leukemia about year ago, so it's especially cool to have him back in a big way like this.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:07 am 

New song here with Erik on vocals here.

Album tracklisting:

01. Hell Or High Water
02. The Gang's All Here
03. Not Dead Yet
04. Time Bomb
05. Resurrected
06. Nowhere Fast
07. When The Lights Come On
08. Tear It Down
09. October's Song
10. World's On Fire

Xandaphon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:15 am 

You know what? It's better than I thought it was going to be. Not breaking any new ground, but nobody expects it to.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:16 am 

This isn't too bad at all. The dudes got some pipes and the songs pretty solid. Got me curious at least to have a listen to the rest of the album some day... not in any rush tho.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:31 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
This isn't too bad at all. The dudes got some pipes and the songs pretty solid. Got me curious at least to have a listen to the rest of the album some day... not in any rush tho.

My feelings exactly. Will check it out but it no hurry to.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:36 am 

The biggest issue with the post Baz albums was the ballless songwriting. They just wimped out and wrote bland crap.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:09 pm 

This sounds very promising, I've been digging the New Horizon album for the past couple weeks and this might just be the kick in the ass the rest of the guys in Skid Row need to start writing real songs again. I'll be waiting to see what ZP ends up doing, whether it involves resurrecting I Am I or something completely new.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:45 am 

lordcatfish wrote:
https://loudwire.com/skid-row-part-ways-zp-theart-erik-gronwall-new-vocalist/

I'm not a huge fan of Skid Row, but I love Erik Grönwall's voice, so I took notice of this. He's a former Swedish Idol winner (he sang Run to the Hills and 18 and Life on the show iirc), used to sing for hard rock band H.e.a.t, and a few weeks ago he put out a great power metal album with New Horizon in collaboration with his former bandmate.

Such a weird career. Gaining fame in tv's Idol which usually produces one hit wonder pop-singers. Then joining H.E.A.T. but only as a replacement of their beloved original singer. Did some musicals I believe and now being a replacement of a replacement in Skid Row (a band who most still, after all these years, connect with Sebastian Bach). It's also weird in that he is so much younger than everyone else in the band. That part makes me think of the Swedish punk band De Lyckliga Kompisarna where the current guitar players might not have even been born when the band gained fame.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:04 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
This sounds very promising, I've been digging the New Horizon album for the past couple weeks and this might just be the kick in the ass the rest of the guys in Skid Row need to start writing real songs again. I'll be waiting to see what ZP ends up doing, whether it involves resurrecting I Am I or something completely new.

I'd like to see some more I AM I...

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:24 pm 

thePowermetalLynx wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

Same, I was actually bummed out that ZP put I AM I on hold in order to join Skid Row, because I was afraid he'd just end up being a touring vocalist and not actually record anything. I liked Dragonforce better before ZP left, and frankly I'd like to see him record something new.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:32 pm 

I AM I had some fiendishly catchy shit, but honestly I'd love to hear ZP go even more old school and do a genuine rock and roll record. Great voice. I feel like he can do better than more mass-produced over polished PM.

thePowermetalLynx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:21 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
thePowermetalLynx wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

Same, I was actually bummed out that ZP put I AM I on hold in order to join Skid Row, because I was afraid he'd just end up being a touring vocalist and not actually record anything. I liked Dragonforce better before ZP left, and frankly I'd like to see him record something new.

True true. It's just sad that he's so quite these days. I'd always felt that his talent is being wasted in Skid Row, though indeed I was looking forward to their China tour when they'd announced it back in 2020.
Now hopefully he will get back to power metal. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed.

Old School is the only School

Consistency is a Virtue
Repetition is a Sin

Call me Shirley or Lynxie

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:08 am 

Happy to see Erik Grönwall getting this job.
He's one of those too-good-to-be-true singers out there.

Kaleva
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:48 am 

New single is out. Mid-paced song, it lacks a bit of punch. A step back regarding the first one.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:05 am 

That video blows.

Song is okay but its lacking something crucial.

tobi is an animal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:55 am 

As I mentioned in the best of the 90's album poll thread; I love the first three albums, with Bach's vocal performance across those 3 albums being my favorite of all time.
I haven't cared for any Skid Row song since Bach left including these two new ones. As far as this latest one goes the verses were good with Erik sounding great, but the rest of the song was shit. Those vocals trying to mix in with Erik are fuckin' terrible and completely ruin the song.

Voidsel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:40 pm 

Another new single. Musically I prefer it to the previous tracks, but how on earth did they let that chorus through? Tick, Tick, Tick... Cringe

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:02 am 

ironman8008 wrote:

My thoughts as well.

Just heard that single. Holy shit, that is bad.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:19 pm 

Erik has decided to leave the band to prioritize his health (statement from his Facebook page)

Quote:
Yes, I have decided to leave Skid Row. 
⠀⠀
The main reason being that it’s proved difficult to prioritize my health and full recovery as the lead singer of the band. ⠀⠀
⠀⠀
In 2021 I was undergoing treatment against leukemia and that gave me a superpower called perspective. I decided to use that perspective and write down the values I wanted to live by for the rest of my life. On top of that list it says “health first”.⠀⠀
⠀⠀
I’ve had to look at that list a lot of times this last year, questioning if I’m really living according to my values. At the end of the day I realized the answer was no. ⠀⠀
⠀⠀
As a result of the treatments and transplant my immune system was impaired. You can think of my immune system as a 4 year old kid bringing home all kinds of viruses from preschool. It takes awhile to build up that resistance again but my immune system is getting stronger every day. However I’m still doing regular check ups (blood tests) at the hematology department in Sweden, which has proved challenging while keeping up with the Skid Row schedule. I have way too much respect for my medical history to push myself to the limit.⠀
⠀⠀
I love Skid Row, I have nothing but respect for the guys in the band but I love and respect my health more. I understand that Skid Row is a touring band but like I told the guys: “if I can’t prioritize my health, then I’m not the right guy for the job”.⠀⠀
⠀⠀
Please note, I’m NOT sick and it’s not that I don’t want to tour. I love being on the road. And of course we have tried to find the right balance together but at the end of the day I realized that it was better for me to step aside. ⠀
So now I’m going to focus on my full recovery, and come back stronger than ever. Meanwhile I’m finalizing my biography. And I’m going to start writing my own music again. ⠀⠀
⠀⠀
Lastly, once again thank you to everyone who accepted me as the singer of this iconic band. ⠀⠀
⠀⠀
Always remember that no job, no money, no fame is worth your health or well being. Health first always. I owe this decision to the guy in the second picture and I’m proud to be able to say that I kept my promise to him. Health first!

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:29 pm 

That didn't last very long.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Evil Entity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:34 pm 

Sad for Erik but not sure how everyone didn't see this coming in the SR camp. Now their whole brand gets cheapened once again.

Cue the Sebastian rumors and ultimately another disappointing replacement singer hire.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:46 pm 

They should try to get Sebastian Bach again, he was the face and image of Skid Row, I am sure if they put enough money on the table he will accept, not that he is doing millions with his solo career. I saw him live once in his solo band playing before Guns n Roses and it was an awesome show, but the songs that the crowd sang the most were the Skid Row ones.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:41 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
They should try to get Sebastian Bach again, he was the face and image of Skid Row, I am sure if they put enough money on the table he will accept, not that he is doing millions with his solo career. I saw him live once in his solo band playing before Guns n Roses and it was an awesome show, but the songs that the crowd sang the most were the Skid Row ones.

from what ive seen, the resistance to that idea is on Skid Row's side. Bach has said several times, as recently as a few months ago, that's he open to doing a reunion with them. for whatever reason, they hate the dude so much theyd rather blunt their own commercial potential than be in a band with him.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:53 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
SanPeron wrote:

from what ive seen, the resistance to that idea is on Skid Row's side. Bach has said several times, as recently as a few months ago, that's he open to doing a reunion with them. for whatever reason, they hate the dude so much theyd rather blunt their own commercial potential than be in a band with him.

I don't know what happened between them, but it probably was in the 90s and that happened 30 years ago, I think they should bring back Sebastian to all the fans to enjoy their classic lineup. Most fans and I would love to see an anniversary tour of Slave to the Grind. But is up to them to fix their personal issues.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:00 pm 

It sounds like Sebastian Bach was a massive asshole and the band doesn't wanna deal with him again.

I don't blame them.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:56 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
thrashinbatman wrote:
SanPeron wrote:

I don't know what happened between them, but it probably was in the 90s and that happened 30 years ago, I think they should bring back Sebastian to all the fans to enjoy their classic lineup. Most fans and I would love to see an anniversary tour of Slave to the Grind. But is up to them to fix their personal issues.

Sebastian Bach has been open to reuniting for many years and has been pretty willing to do whatever it takes (group therapy, traveling separately, etc) to make it happen. Rachel and Dave know what kind of money is on the table and the fact that they continue to resist a reunion with Sebastian is a testament to how much they must not want to deal with him.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next