Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CelestialEmissary
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:51 am 

Hi Folks! After last week's great Swedish death metal album, I thought it'd be fun to do an American album. This week's album of the week is Immolation's third album "Failures For Gods." I've always thought this album marked a continuation of the sound found on "Here in After" while foreshadowing the sound found on "Close to a World Below." Let me know your thoughts on this album as well as your favourite songs off it, as well as anything else you'd like to add about this album.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 7:09 pm 

Fantastic album from fantastic band! But I am biased as Immolation is my numero uno DM band since forever and showing no signs of slowing down which is actually an incredible feat considering how oversaturated DM always has been and given their 10+ albums discography that is almost impeccable!

As for the album itself, the first thing comes to mind is an obscene heaviness. Some may complain about a production that is a bit abrasive but I find it perfectly fitting the music. If I had to rank it, it’d be somewhere at 5-6 range of the discography...so basically I like it better than almost anything post Unholy Cult which is still my favourite. Though as my very, VERY unpopular opinion goes I’d take Kingdom Of Conspiracy over FFG...I know, I know, I am one sick puppy so fight me on this! lol

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 8:52 pm 

A very dark album, their slow signature style is a New York death metal classic sound. The "black metal" part of No Jesus, No Beast is awesome and the part that I remember the most. My favorite track of the album is that one and the last one, The Devil I Know. The riff of the outro is quite haunting and gives the end of the song a very epic and mysterious vibe. Modern bands like Death Congregation own everything to Immolation, they are still one of the most influential death metal bands of all time. Still, I think they have a couple of more solid albums, like Dawn of Possession, Close to a World Below and Here in After. But I would rank Failures for Gods as the 4th best album in Immolation's discography.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:10 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
A very dark album, their slow signature style is a New York death metal classic sound. The "black metal" part of No Jesus, No Beast is awesome and the part that I remember the most. My favorite track of the album is that one and the last one, The Devil I Know. The riff of the outro is quite haunting and gives the end of the song a very epic and mysterious vibe. Modern bands like Death Congregation own everything to Immolation, they are still one of the most influential death metal bands of all time. Still, I think they have a couple of more solid albums, like Dawn of Possession, Close to a World Below and Here in After. But I would rank Failures for Gods as the 4th best album in Immolation's discography.

Death Congregation are one of the few bands that happen to do it very well though.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:52 pm 

Yet another amazing Immolation album, this one actually might be my second favorite right behind Here In After. Great mix of some of their most catchy (No Jesus, No Beast) and dark (the title track) songs on this release.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:23 pm 

It's a dark, twisted, and mysterious album that I enjoy, but I'd actually rank it in the bottom half of their discography. The production is weird, and the songs aren't as consistently good as many of their other albums. There are some great tracks though, namely "Once Ordained," "No Jesus No Beast," and "The Devil I Know." Cool atmosphere too, and it's still a really good record overall.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:27 pm 

Xytras71 wrote:
Fantastic album from fantastic band! But I am biased as Immolation is my numero uno DM band since forever and showing no signs of slowing down which is actually an incredible feat considering how oversaturated DM always has been and given their 10+ albums discography that is almost impeccable!

As for the album itself, the first thing comes to mind is an obscene heaviness. Some may complain about a production that is a bit abrasive but I find it perfectly fitting the music. If I had to rank it, it’d be somewhere at 5-6 range of the discography...so basically I like it better than almost anything post Unholy Cult which is still my favourite. Though as my very, VERY unpopular opinion goes I’d take Kingdom Of Conspiracy over FFG...I know, I know, I am one sick puppy so fight me on this! lol

Majesty and Decay-Acts of Gods are better than their early work not gonna lie.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 11:19 pm 

Unholy Cult always gets compared to it and always seems to come off worse, but i think it's just as good. Also i like the artwork more.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 11:20 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Xytras71 wrote:

Absolutely no bloody way in the world. Acts Of God was a near disgrace.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 11:25 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Xytras71 wrote:

Well, clearly it’s a matter of opinion and seems we have the different one and it’s cool. But even the rankings on this site are much higher for their earlier works or on RYM for that matter...just saying

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 11:41 pm 

Xytras71 wrote:
ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Xytras71 wrote:

Well, clearly it’s a matter of opinion and seems we have the different one and it’s cool. But even the rankings on this site are much higher for their earlier works or on RYM for that matter...just saying

After the underrated Shadows In The Light they got overproduced and lacked a real feeling of darkness i think.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 11:50 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

After the underrated Shadows In The Light they got overproduced and lacked a real feeling of darkness i think.

Yeah, I agree...as much as Majesty and Decay is an excellent album from song writing perspective, I never liked a production on it, just too polished and almost...sweet,lol

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 12:22 am 

Xytras71 wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:

Yeah, I agree...as much as Majesty and Decay is an excellent album from song writing perspective, I never liked a production on it, just too polished and almost...sweet,lol

100%, and i think Acts Of God is a even worse offender for that.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 3:33 pm 

Failures for Gods was actually my first Immolation album… and in a discography that has multiple albums I could call their best, and this one to me could easily sit at number one if it wasn’t for Here in After and Close to a World Below… those three always rotate 1-3 for me. Failures for Gods just sounds inhuman. It sounds like music that was created by creatures from another realm casting judgement. Truly unsettled me in my teens, but like any true classic does it took many listens for it to reveal itself and now it’s one of my all time favourites. I have it on CD and vinyl, and there’s only 4 Immolation releases I have on multiple formats and that’s Dawn of Possession through Close to a World Below.

Reply to topic