Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:54 pm 

Almost every day i see flyers online of gigs or split releases between doom/sludge and grindcore/hardcore/powerviolence bands. I know this is pretty common nowadays but i wonder how this relation between these differente genres begun, did i miss something? i know you can trace some background of this relationship back in the mid/late 80s when Saint Vitus released their first albums on SST Records (Founded by Greg Ginn of Black Flag) and the birth of The Slugs (pre-Crowbar), Graveyard Rodeo and Eyehategod.

Is there any other event i should know about to fully comprehend this relation? Let me know, this has been quite an intriguing topic for me for the las couple of years.

http://www.facebook.com/NARAKU666

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:05 pm 

Well I'm pretty sure sludge's hardcore influence can be traced to Black Flag's My War, and so sludge and hardcore have been intertwined since it's inception.

Devilloc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:18 pm 

There's also Grief, formed in the early 90's by Disrupt (crust) guitarist. The griminess of the crust punk/hardcore genre just compliments well with the tempo that doom metal provides.

Reply to topic