Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:23 am 

What album have you been listening to this last month? Imagine this thread like a monthly version of Now Playing.

In my case it has been Ghost's IMPERA; it becomes better with every listen. "Twenties" still doesn't click but I can see where they were going with this one and I appreciate it.

Demon Fang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:38 am 

Sacred Outcry's Towers of Gold, which has only become more monolithic with each listen.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:20 am 

'Impera' for me too. Didn't listen to it that much when it came out. Now it's been on heavy rotation.

Gamma Ray 'Land of the Free' has been playing quite much too.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:00 am 

I check out new stuff - either brand new or new to me - every day so there isn't one single album I've been playing obsessively, but I've definitely given a fair bit of time to Enforced's 'War remains' and Hellripper's 'Warlocks grim and withered hags' since they came out, my two clear AOTYs so far (and unlikely to change, especially Hellripper). However, I'm in a strange situation where I can't buy any records at the moment due to multiple reasons, so I don't want to overplay these two on Spotify because I want to 'save them' for when I can pick up the vinyls.
Outside of that, I'm doing my homework with Manilla Road and Omen, definitely going through a trad/USPM phase recently...

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:36 am 

I've been super into the new Cloak album "Black Flame Eternal" lately. That's my newest metal obsession, I guess.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:50 am 

Arson by Harakiri For The Sky. Phenomenal record! JJ's lyrics are like therapy to me and Matthias' songwriting is fucking brilliant.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:06 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
"Twenties" still doesn't click but I can see where they were going with this one and I appreciate it.

I don't get what everyone's issue is with that track! It's easily my favorite from Impera. Ridiculously cool intro, fantastic riff, hilarious lyrics, catchy as fuck, cool solo, etc. It's the perfect Ghost song.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:27 pm 

Slightly metal related, King Crimson - The Road to Red. The 21x CDs; - 1x DVD; - 2x Blu-ray Discs edition. I've been listening to that non stop for 3 months now.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:48 pm 

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:
"Twenties" still doesn't click but I can see where they were going with this one and I appreciate it.

I don't get what everyone's issue is with that track! It's easily my favorite from Impera. Ridiculously cool intro, fantastic riff, hilarious lyrics, catchy as fuck, cool solo, etc. It's the perfect Ghost song.

Definitely never listening to them again after hearing that song. Abominably annoying.

For me... Virgin Steele's 90s albums and, for the past few days, the Wytch Hazel new release. Addictive as fuck.

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:50 pm 

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

There's something with the drums rhythm/cadence that doesn't feel right, it's like the song is about to pick up and then its momentum stops, you know like the classic comedic bit where a car stars moving then brakes, then starts moving again and brakes and so on.

Not precisely technical musical talk here but I think you can understand.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:38 pm 

Demon Fang wrote:
Sacred Outcry's Towers of Gold, which has only become more monolithic with each listen.

I find myself in the exact same position. It's fucking beautiful and gets better with every listen three weeks in.

Triumpher also, I was just saying that in another thread. Holy shit. Two amazing albums for this month.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:07 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Dustroy_Troly wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

There's something with the drums rhythm/cadence that doesn't feel right, it's like the song is about to pick up and then its momentum stops, you know like the classic comedic bit where a car stars moving then brakes, then starts moving again and brakes and so on.

Not precisely technical musical talk here but I think you can understand.

I think I do understand. I also think that's exactly what I like about the song. I mean, I'd put it in a more flattering way, but I'd be describing the same thing. There's something incredibly cool about the insistent repetition of it for me.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:42 pm 

As for the new stuff, probably Lunar chamber and Nightmarer

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:23 am 

Probably tied between Henget - Beyond North Star (actually listening to it right now again)and Phlebotomized - Clouds of Confusion. Those are my current top candidates for AOTY so far.
For older stuff it might be both latest albums by Misthyrming.

Mitosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:59 am 

Entheos - Time Will Take Us All, I really love the experimentation on this album with clean vocals and Evan Brewer is still a beast on the bass.
Also I got to see them live for the first time during this springs tour with Archspire, Psycroptic and Benighted.

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:43 pm 

Not a single album, but I decided that I want to dive into Kreator, Sodom and Helloweens discography's this month. Really been hitting Pleasure to Kill, Agent Orange and The Time of the Oath respectively.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:46 pm 

I keep coming back to Overkill "Scorched" and Metal Church "Congregation of Annihilation".

~Guest 1765257
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:04 am 

For some reason, I keep coming back to Marduk - World Downfall this month. Been on a Marduk kick in general.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:46 pm 

Oh man, tons of old Candlemass records, Ahab's Live Prey and The Call of the Wretched Sea, Bathory's Nordland albums and Code's Live in the Netherlands. It's been a good month so far!

Wobblefoot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:27 pm 

New Cattle Decap. Didn’t care for it much on the first couple of listens, but it’s growing on me. Still find myself skipping a few tracks, though.

rwpj_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:53 pm 

This month I've mostly listened to Memoriam's Rise To Power. While listening to their discography, I noticed something familiar regarding the vocalist. Turns out it was Karl Willetts, one of Bolt Thrower's former vocalist.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:19 pm 

Johanssohn - The Last Viking/ I have listened to this quite a few times in the last month. It has some early Yngwie atmosphere and a lot of JS Bach influence. Anders and Jens give virtuoso performances and so does Michael Romeo. This is also Goran Edmund's finest moment. A few of the songs are slow but the performances are so great it doesn't matter.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:53 am 

This month of June the albums I have listened to most often have been:

Iced Earth-Night Of The Stormrider

Luciferion-The Apostate

Possessed-Seven Churches

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:28 am 

June was Sacred Outcry's month for sure. Everything else I listened to considerably less. I am in love with the album, particularly the Wine of Betrayal and City of Stone songs, I could listen to those Warlordian guitar harmonies forever.

Some Triumpher. Quite a lot of King Gizzard (Gila Monster is this month's heroin).
These three albums have set camp at the top of the AOTY list so far.

Getting into Protean Shield (vocals and drums hold it back but I love the songs and some guitar parts).

Just started going through a Solitude Aeturnus binge, which will hold a few days more, I know it. Robert, oh Robert, damn it man, please be at a good level still!

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:04 pm 

I've been spinning Cannibal Corpse - Eaten Back to Life pretty heavily the last month or so. Just really been in the mood for it. I think I appreciate the album a lot more now than I used to, and actually hear quite a few similarities to Repulsion's Horrified in a way. Early Cannibal always gives me that Juvenile middle school like excitement, so it's been a blast revisiting this one.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:48 pm 

This month of September the albums I have listened to the most have been:

Virgin Steele - The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell - Part Two: Simply magnificent, the epicness that radiates from each track is unmatched, an album that will leave a mark on you.

Hank Williams III - Ghost to a Ghost/Gutter Town: I've been listening to this double album non-stop for several days, there are a lot of varied and high quality tracks.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:54 pm 

Gothic - Demons

From Transylvania they come. Yeah, Gothic might not be the best band name, but man, this album rules. A characteristic mixture of goth, heavy and death metal.
Spoiler: show

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:00 pm 

Aventhur - "Fractured Memories" is the album I have probably listened to the most this month.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:50 pm 

Lane wrote:

From Transylvania they come. Yeah, Gothic might not be the best band name, but man, this album rules. A characteristic mixture of goth, heavy and death metal.

I see myself in the absolute need to listen to this one considering that Sentenced's Frozen has been my most listened to album these last weeks.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:28 pm 

October albums I listened the most:

Turpitude - Une Interpr​é​tation De La Dissolution Glaciale En Quatre Mouvements
Furia - Huta Luna
Fanisk - Insularum
Mortiis - Ånden Som Gjorde Opprør
Afterbirth - In But Not Of(Listened very late in the month but I've been very addicted to it.)

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:09 pm 

My October was inundated with official and bootlegged live material from Sabbath, Maiden, Mercyful Fate and Priest.
Otherwise, I spent a lot of time with Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree, November's Doom, My Dying Bride and Nile.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:02 pm 

Not a ton the past month, but I gave Vile Genesis from Inferi a couple of listens. Just a top tier technical melodeath album in every way.

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:52 pm 

Afterbirth for sure

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:55 pm 

Mortuary Drape was my top band of the month, mostly Tolling 13 Knell. I also listened to Mercyful Fate, Worm, Pentagram and Malokarpatan. Feels pretty appropriate for October.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:46 pm 

Kind of hard to nail one down this month because my listening has been all over the map. Martin Simson's Destroyer of Death's Eternal Reign got a lot of play early in the month and then later in the month Lynch Mob surprised me with Babylon which I kept coming back to.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:02 pm 

The new Wayfarer and Sulphur Aeon releases have been my most played in October.

rarezuzuh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:12 pm 

My top album this month by far was Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy. Runners up were Purification - Destruction of the Wicked, Pilgrim - Misery Wizard, and Reverend Bizarre - II: Crush the Insects. I always love traditional doom metal but I don't think I usually listen to it so exclusively.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:43 pm 

The AC/DC discography binge turned review series I did last March was pretty wild.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:24 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
The AC/DC discography binge turned review series I did last March was pretty wild.

Based, the best band in the world. Although they should have hung the Gibson when Malcom died, the last 2 albums were unnecessary.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:51 am 

Angra - Cycles of Pain

Runner up, a tie between Signum Regis and Diviner's new albums.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next