Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BeaVssS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:31 am 

Drop your favorite underrated album or album with three reviews or less that you feel deserves more attention. My pick is As The Heavens Fall from the Progressive/Melodic Death Metal band Threnody.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:07 pm 

Witchcraft - Legend

Excellent 70's-ish doomy hard rock/metal. I love this album but it has 2 reviews.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:27 pm 

Probably too many examples of this to wrap my head around. One that springs to mind is Undergang’s Misantropologi — one of my favorite death metal records of recent years is sitting with one review at 43%.

TheBurningOfSodom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:30 pm 

Not a long thinking process... Fog of War's Here Lies Humanity, arguably my favourite album ever. Two reviews, one of them being my own :-D

lonerider wrote:
Think I'm gonna go take a whiz through my fretboard now

It's the dawn of descending...

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:38 pm 

Hangman’s Chair - A Loner

My favorite album of 2022, and it has zero reviews on MA (maybe I should change that…)

Their page as a whole is pretty lacking in reviews actually, super underrated band in general.

BeaVssS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:42 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Probably too many examples of this to wrap my head around. One that springs to mind is Undergang’s Misantropologi — one of my favorite death metal records of recent years is sitting with one review at 43%.

I love finding albums with no reviews or a low review that blow away my misconstrued expectation.

BeaVssS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:47 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Witchcraft - Legend

Excellent 70's-ish doomy hard rock/metal. I love this album but it has 2 reviews.

As The Heavens Fall on has on 87% review and it baffles me every time I check the page. It’s such a killer album. Incorporates so much into it without it being overdone. Beautiful acoustic guitar and even has a song with clean singing, acoustic guitar and a flute solo. The other guitar solos are done well and placed perfectly within the songs and they do a great job of incorporating doom elements.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:52 pm 

Impelliteri - Answer to the Master 0 Reviews and a 100%er in my book.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:47 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Witchcraft - Legend

Indeed. Fantastic album.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:01 pm 

Sabbat - Satanasword

Can't believe this only has one review, IMO it's the best album they put out. When it comes to Sabbat, most seem to talk up Evoke, The Dwelling, or Karisma as their peak, but I think Satanasword is so underrated. It's the perfect mix of blackened thrash and traditional heavy metal, with a lot of Temis' leads recalling Mercyful Fate at times. There's loads of dynamics in songwriting, from short thrashers like Death Zone to the almost 14-minute-long Nekromantik, arguably the best Sabbat song (and that's including The Dwelling).

democracyiscringe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:12 pm 

Lots and lots of albums like this, but a big one for me
Cerebral Effusion - Smashed And Splattered Organs
A key "CC except brutaller" type BDM release from the mid 2000s. Underrated here. 3 reviews. One positive one that complains about the (awesome) burpy vocals, two nearly 0% reviews that are just standard 2000s era tirades about how much they hate brutal death metal (which was stigmatized at the time due to being oversaturated, being perceived as "artless" or "one-dimensional," etc).

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:41 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
Witchcraft - Legend

I had forgotten about this band. I loved the album they did prior to that ("Firewood") which I owned, and liked everthing else that I heard from them. Great band, but one that I hadn't realized were listed here on the archives as I had assumed they were more Jethro-Tull influenced rock and not really "metal" per-se. But yeah, they do deserve more reviews.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:46 pm 

Anything Hanker or Antiquus did. Some of the best unknown, weird trad metal past the 80s. Brilliant and inventive. Just great.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:06 pm 

Ostrogoth - Feelings of Fury. Only one review, and it is mine. It is the best Ostrogoth album and in my opinion the best pure heavy metal album. Unbelivable compositions, 10000% manly wild beastial vocals, some of the best guitar solos I've ever heard and overall very powerful album!! A must have on physical copy for every true metal fan!!!!

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:52 pm 

Both Prostitute Disfigurement's "Deeds of Derangement" and "Left in Grisly Fashion", which I think most would agree are their 2 best works, only have 1 review each. In fact, most of their albums (save Descendants of Depravity) have only 1-2 reviews. That's insane for what I personally consider the best death metal band of the 00's.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:42 pm 

A lot of Trhä fit the bill, considering they only have a handful of reviews.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:18 pm 

Samson's Before the Storm. It has zero reviews and about as many listeners.
I've been listening to this album regularly for more than 40 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSlCX5N ... JTXJgBLn8h

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:24 pm 

Naglfar's "Diabolical" is one of my favourite black metal albums, and it only has 2 reviews and a score of 76%.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:46 pm 

Shadow (Japan). A better In Flames than In Flames. My most underrated metal band.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Shadow/1170

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:51 pm 

Kruelty's Untopia (2023) only has one 100% review and that's it, an incredible album for fans of beatdown hardcore and death metal. Japan always delivers good metal.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:17 pm 

Weapon, easily. Their entire discography basically is underrated

Their last two albums have more than 2 reviews, mind you, but overall still not very many. They've been split up for a while now, but they released three very solid blackened death metal albums that hardly ever get talked about IMO.

Or maybe I've just not been paying attention.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:11 am 

Russian Circles - Gnosis.

0 reviews and about a 9/10 album.

BeaVssS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:40 am 

I’m enjoying all the love this post is getting and seeing all your responses makes me feel like I’m not alone in enjoying music that doesn’t get enough recognition. Plus it’s fun to check out all these band pages. Gonna keep it in the realm I’m currently working on, which is death metal. So here’s two bands of the same name who both dropped bangers in 1996.
Cenotaph (Mexico)-Epic Rites (9 Epic Tales & Death Rites)
Cenotaph (Turkey)-Voluptuously Minced
The Mexican Melodic Death Cenotaph put out one of the best Melodic Death Metal albums in my opinion. Got an A+ from me and sits at 90% with one review.
The Turkish Brutal Death Band put a banger as well. I haven’t been the biggest fan so far of pure Brutal Death without the technical somewhere in between, but this hits like a truck. It’s done so well and that bass throughout is the cherry on top. Let that bass ride. Give it an A grade and it’s also sitting at 90% with one review. How odd that is for both bands of the same name.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:13 am 

The Heart of the Matter by Triosphere has 2 reviews. It has a rating of 98% though, so people who are listening are enjoying it at least.

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:06 am 

There are many, these are just a few:

Morgul - The Horror Grandeur has 2 reviews setting a 91% average. It's gem of symphonic black metal.

Dolorian's discography, each album has 3 reviews each. I like specially When All the Laughter Has Gone, black doom from the depths of Finland. One of my fav albums of the genre.

Morgion's Among Majestic Ruin has just 3 reviews and even Solinari only has 4. They're both stepping stones of the doom death genre.

Tholing the Void - Insignificance. Zero reviews on an album that few people may know, but it's a really good black doom album with violins topping the cake.

Deathwhite - Grave Image. 1 review at 80%. Great album if you enjoy the likes of Katatonia and Paradise Lost. The song In Eclipse rotates frequently around here.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:30 am 

jimbies wrote:
Naglfar's "Diabolical" is one of my favourite black metal albums, and it only has 2 reviews and a score of 76%.

Hmm, that’s blasphemy! It certainly deserves better! On par with Vittra and by far much more appealing than all those more popular Dimmu Borgir wanna be albums that came out after.

HisZvironistOverlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:23 am 

Somehow none of the albums from the Gates of Slumber have many reviews - most are two. Total shame since this is one of my favorite bands, and back in like 2011 I was thinking they'd get way bigger than they did (of course they had several deaths and a break up). They apparently reunited several years ago but I have no idea what they're actually up to.

If I had to pick one in particular, Hymns of Blood and Thunder is my favorite and should have way more than 3 reviews

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:34 am 

Some more melodic metal with not a lot of reviews...

Fireleaf - Behind the Mask - hard as fuck, driving music with the right amount of melodic complexity to become a kind of power metal. But it's not really a genre work; it's just a really cool, intense album with no weak tunes.

Vulvagun - The Painful Road to Eden - the name is goofy but they write some spotless, aggressive, hooky stuff that recalls all the greats from the 80s and does its own spin on them.

milosh111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:19 pm 

Abysmal Grief

Underrated band in general, and regarding the reviews, all of their albums have only one review each. Except for Strange Rites of Evil with zero reviews. Their last album Funeral Cult of Personality is the favorite of mine, so I'm glad that at least someone (thank you, gasmask_colostomy) reviewed it positively...

BeaVssS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:47 pm 

Here’s another one from myself.
Aggressor-Procreate The Petrifactions. Sits at one review with an 85% (Thanks, Lane.) Estonian Death/Thrash that hits all the right spots. Their song Wrong Faith is one of my all time favorites to throw on in the car. 7+ minutes of Death/Thrash that has some really fun breakdowns in between.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:29 pm 

Any of Blazon Stone's albums, all at 3 reviews or less, and Heavy Load - Death or Glory + Stronger than Evil (only 2 reviews for both is strange)

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:30 am 

Terrorizer "Hordes of zombies"

First LP is a historic record, maybe not the best of grind from the 80s/early 90s, probably because of not-so-good recoring
Second LP is so-so, not really bad but without cnsistence

Then this third one is to me a perfect record, I can't explain why it's only 69% here, except if I'm comparing this one to the historic first. It's fast and melodic, sound could be a bit better, but I love that running effect, classic riffs, nothing technical, and for this far better than most grind/death albums with boring technical enmptiness...

I can't exprim in english, but the fact is this LP got a place withing the best one from the modern times to me - 89% most probably
And this is not true for the next LP

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 7:27 am 

Sacramentum - The Coming Of Chaos.
I keep waiting for this album to be re-evaluated and judged on its own merrit for the awesome slab of melodic thrashy black/death that it is but still no dice.
Yep Far Away is a classic but both Chaos and Thy Black Destiny as well for that matter both RIP.

While i'm at it, Aeternus - Shadows Of Old is tops and is more often than not looked down apon.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 7:29 am 

jimbies wrote:

Great call. Essential listening for anyone with functioning ears

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:02 am 

Abandon - The Dead End

Stunning funeral doom/sludge/noise album which makes excellent use of a pump organ. It's incredibly oppressive, sad and emotionally vulnerable. The vocalist passed away before its release and the band faded from view. It currently stands at just 1 (admittedly very positive) review from 2009. :aww:

I might dust off my CD copy and take a stab at reviewing it sometime this weekend.

ColdJustice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 11:05 am 

Exhumed's Anatomy is Destiny, feels overshadowed by the earlier works. No one talks about it! :d

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 12:51 pm 

Mega Colossus - Riptime. I feel like I'm alone in absolutely loving this album. I'm the only reviewer for it. Just really great high energy trad metal.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 2:32 pm 

Validor's first album and War Dance Sons of Thunder come to my mind the moment of writing this.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 3:25 pm 

Redemption - "The Fullness of Time" and "Snowfall on Judgement Day"

Trouble - "Trouble" (1990 s/t) and "Manic Frustration"
Their two best, IMO.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:18 pm 

Hardworlder wrote:
Mega Colossus - Riptime. I feel like I'm alone in absolutely loving this album. I'm the only reviewer for it. Just really great high energy trad metal.

You're not alone! One of my favorite trad albums of the past decade.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next