Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:33 am 

Summer season is my favorite season for plenty of things. It's after a long ass winter season, it's quite nice when the sun is up, hit the streets, the beaches and so on. So, whenever I'm trying to find something to listen, it's kind of hard for me to find bands or songs about the hot summer season unless you start going into the Hard Rock or early 80's heavy metal to have that awesome summer energy.

There are plenty of things to write about in the season like beach, surfing, skateboarding, fun, beach parties, beer, Wacken and so on. Those are pretty much embedded into the metal culture, anyway, so, why aren't bands writing about summer stuff?

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:56 am 

There's plenty of stuff about summer. You just don't know it (and rightfully so because it sucks).

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:01 pm 

if you mention the fun/good/sweet/nice side of summer time I think that's mainly an entertaining side of life, that's no surprise part of californian 80s culture, but how would any "true blackers" or "real goredeathgrind" would write about fun & happyness?

you'll find that not into european music, not in germany, not in scandinavia, not in any central europe
all about beaches at least, except california and few places here and there

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:03 pm 

ahah i forgot summer breeze ^^ https://noisecreep.com/best-summertime-metal-songs/

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:16 pm 

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:32 pm 

In my opinion I'll always prefer cold weather to hot weather and pop music over the last four decades or so has fully explored every aspect of beaches and hot weather.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Ghost of Christmas Last
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:59 pm 

Looking at the way the question is phrased, the answer is unequivocal - of course we have plenty such bands, they are called boy bands.

As for extreme metal, hell is a few degrees hotter than the summer, so it just does the job better. Come to think of it, with their fixation on the medical profession and whatnot, the grindcore camp wold be a better place to educate us on the evils of sunburn...

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:35 pm 

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:16 pm 

The change is weather and attitude is part of why I tend to listen to more power metal and classic American 80's hard rock and metal during the summer.

I'm far more likely to be cranking Van Halen, Ratt, Motley Crue, Skid Row, and the like when its a nice summer day. Not to mention bouncy happy stuff like Stratovarius or Hammerfall.

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:22 pm 

Savatage's Summer Rain?

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:35 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I'm far more likely to be cranking Van Halen, Ratt, Motley Crue, Skid Row, and the like when its a nice summer day. Not to mention bouncy happy stuff like Stratovarius or Hammerfall.

Same. Van Halen is the epitome of the perfect summer band.
I'm also more likely to tap into Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Hendrix, etc., during the spring and early summer months.

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:11 pm 

simonitro wrote:

There are plenty of things to write about in the season like beach, surfing, skateboarding, fun, beach parties, beer, Wacken and so on.

You mean most stoner metal?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:59 pm 

The greatest summer band of all time: Thin Lizzy.

Jailbreak on a hot summer day? One of the best things in life.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:32 pm 

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:48 pm 

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:07 pm 

Because summer and I also would say spring, are happy seasons. And metal don't talk about happy things too much, that's why we talk more about winter or even autumn/fall.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:33 pm 

The sun and deserts etc. are common themes in stoner & doom metal, so the scorching heat theme could be a way to write 'summery' songs without having to make them too happy.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 am 

I can see Speed Metal being a Summer genre maybe, with its tempo kinda matching how everyone moves at a quicker pace during that time. Thrash would be appropriate too, just anything that gives off energy.

Power Metal is great for Spring, as it feels like you are awakening from the Winter slumber, and feeling more powerful and ready.

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:37 am 

des91 wrote:
I can see Speed Metal being a Summer genre maybe, with its tempo kinda matching how everyone moves at a quicker pace during that time. Thrash would be appropriate too, just anything that gives off energy.

Power Metal is great for Spring, as it feels like you are awakening from the Winter slumber, and feeling more powerful and ready.

Oh yeah, Speed, Power, Heave and Thrash or a combination of them all do give you that summer-y vibe besides, I do enjoy kicking some Scorpions or even classic Riot. These bands do have the flashy, upbeat music that I'm looking for towards the summer.

Someone mentioned Motley Crue, Jack Starr and many of his variant of bands. Skid Row are super fun during summertime and some Twisted Sister into the mix.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:08 am 

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:17 am 

This is great summer song:

And then there is this one:

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:40 am 

Reply to topic