Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:34 pm 

From the band's Facebook:

Quote:
NEW ROTTING CHRIST ALBUM
'PRO XRISTOY'
Dear brothers & sisters,
We can proudly anounce the release of our 14th studio album - 'PRO XRISTOY' (which titles' means Before Christ-B.C.)
10 brand new songs more Metal more atmospheric and more melodic than ever out from Season of Mist this May!We are proud to offer you and the first single soon so please stay tuned for updates!Untill then...Keep the True Metal Spirit Alive!

TRACKLIST
1-Προ Χριστού
2-The Apostate
3-Like father, like son
4-The sixth day
5-La letra del Diavolo
6-The farewell
7-Pix Lax Dax
8-Pretty world, pretty dies
9-ᛦᚵᛑᚱᛆᛋᛁᛚ
10-Saoirse

CONCEPT OF THE ALBUM
“This album was inspired by the might of ancient pagan wisdom. It’s a tribute to those who resisted the coming of Christianity, which destroyed all the values, traditions and knowledge of the ancient world.

Saith Season of Mist:

Quote:
Rotting Christ have stood the test of time. While their name has caused plenty of gatekeepers to clutch their pearls, Sakis Tolis and has brother Themis have ascended from Greece's blackened catacombs to one of metal's most formidable bands.
This year, Rotting Christ are celebrating 35 years of evil excellence with their 14th studio album. ΠΡΟ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΥ (Pro Xristoy) is bound to hold a revered place in the band's heretical history. Always true to their name, with Pro Xristoy ("Before Christ"), the band pay tribute to the last of the Pagan kings by offering up more towering, gothic, melodic black metal.
Now that Rotting Christ are closing in on four decades, some followers might've wondered if there was any sacred ground left for them to conquer. But Pro Xristoy is a testament to a band that's still on the rise.
Pro Xristory comes out May 24. Pre-orders will start next month.

Album art:
Spoiler: show

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:17 pm 

I am excited, Rotting Christ is one of my favorite bands off all time.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:30 pm 

They cannot be serious with that cover. The Course of Empire is one of the most overused pieces of art in all of metal. How utterly unoriginal, were they just trying to save money? And why not go for something Greek rather than Roman?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:36 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
They cannot be serious with that cover. The Course of Empire is one of the most overused pieces of art in all of metal. How utterly unoriginal, were they just trying to save money? And why not go for something Greek rather than Roman?

At a certain point (don't know exactly when), RC became all about their aesthetic and not much about making really interesting music that inspires and challenges listeners. Their last few albums have all been just huge slabs of nothing. They're now just "dark", "heretical", "ancient" or whatever adjectives they throw out without really being it. Show me don't tell me, dammit!

The generic and safe choices for album art and packaging shouldn't surprise anyone.

What does that painting even have to do with the theme of their album?

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:51 pm 

Rotting Christ is a band of diminishing returns and they haven't made a good album in a hot minute. They're also really not that good live - they went on after Borknagar (who absolutely blew the roof off the place) and I wanted to give them a chance, but I was by far and large bored out of my skull. I'm just going to keep listening to the new Varathron, which is everything that I suspect this won't be.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:51 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

I don't think I've seen it before. Considering thousands of albums a year are released I wouldn't be surprised tho. Awesome art no matter what.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:49 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Not to mention the inevitable "aRgHoSlEnT, mUcH?!?!?!" comments, and I really don't want to think about racist melodeath when I think of Rotting Christ... :ugh:

Otherwise, am overall interested to hear this. I did enjoyed their last outing "The Heretics", so it'll be interesting to see what they've been cooking up these past five years.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:43 pm 

I'm looking forward to it. I actually enjoy their later material, which seems like an unpopular opinion, so I'm curious to see if this album follows that or goes in a different direction.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:35 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Not to mention the inevitable "aRgHoSlEnT, mUcH?!?!?!" comments, and I really don't want to think about racist melodeath when I think of Rotting Christ... :ugh:

And also Arghoslent will always be the band that is best known for using that as one of their album covers. Really no point in any other bands using it after them.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:26 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

I don't think I've seen it before. Considering thousands of albums a year are released I wouldn't be surprised tho. Awesome art no matter what.

Arghoslent used it for their aptly titled "Incorrigible Bigotry" album.

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:45 am 

I love big part of the discography... so, waiting for this album , the heretic is good to me

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:59 am 

I hold the opinion that Rotting Christ has had the most regressive course than any band I know (and I love to hate on modern Metallica, but at least 72 Seasons was decent). The last two albums were embarrassing and songs like "Elthe Kyrie" and "Apage Satana" are some of the worst I have heard in my life; if you are a Greek speaker this is laughable. Their best-off/old-school setlists are always the same songs and never touch anything unplayed from Non serviam, which has so many overlooked songs yet they seemingly take so much pride in this album. And I will never understand why the keep playing "Societas Satanas" live instead of an original song of theirs... This band has fallen off the rails hard; if Sakis let at least the new guy play some solos, it would make his albums more refreshing and interesting.

The title of the new album should have been "Pro Christou/Hristou", which is the correct transliteration. Because now it just reads as Pro Krsistou (which does not make sense in English or Greek - "X" in Greek is pronounce as "Ks"). Yet another uninformed/lazy attempt by Sakis Tolis.

Also, while the songs on his solo album were better that the majority of the songs in Heretics, it was on of the worst forms of self-plagiarism (and I say that being a big fan of Iced Earth). Specifically, the intro and basic riff of "ad astra" is just a variation of "saturn unlock" from Non serviam and "Snowing Still" and "the opposite bank" (at 2:57, which is IDENTICAL)... Τhe dawn of the new age = fire and flame. we…the fallen angels = sons of hell. the silence = hallowed be thy name. This is ridiculous.

Yes it is.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:51 am 

LefterisK wrote:
Also, while the songs on his solo album were better that the majority of the songs in Heretics, it was on of the worst forms of self-plagiarism (and I say that being a big fan of Iced Earth). Specifically, the intro and basic riff of "ad astra" is just a variation of "saturn unlock" from Non serviam and "Snowing Still" and "the opposite bank" (at 2:57, which is IDENTICAL)... Τhe dawn of the new age = fire and flame. we…the fallen angels = sons of hell. the silence = hallowed be thy name. This is ridiculous.

...and yet it was the sort of self-plagiarism I thoroughly enjoyed. It brought back riffs, melodies and a kind of feeling I wasn't able to hear in most of Rotting Christ's work post-"Aealo". Call it high quality nostalgia, maybe?

But Rotting Christ brought on a masterpiece in 2007 with "Theogonia" with it being a great throwback album to the early days without sounding stale. "Aealo" was still pretty good and brought on the massive storytelling, but after that one the quality of their music went down fast, with their their self-plagiarism (of weaker material) kicking into high gear.

I've seen RC live twice and it was fantastic both times (2008 and 2012) but A LOT of time has passed since then, obviously.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:18 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

At a certain point (don't know exactly when), RC became all about their aesthetic and not much about making really interesting music that inspires and challenges listeners. Their last few albums have all been just huge slabs of nothing. They're now just "dark", "heretical", "ancient" or whatever adjectives they throw out without really being it.

Well said.

democracyiscringe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:01 pm 

Clicked the album art link expecting some CGI slop, and bam, Arghoslent. Yeah, other bands have used that painting, but no other album is quite as associated with it.

Quote:
track 8-Pretty world, pretty dies

Huh?

ceero
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:51 pm 

I absolutely can not wait for this. It appears to be the unpopular opinion, but to me the last 4 RC albums are vastly superior to the rest of their discography
(which i also enjoy). As for the artwork, it looks absolutely stunning. It's the first time I'm hearing about 'Arghoslent' and checking them out explains why lol. I couldn't really care less about some random nazi buttfuckers using the same piece of 19th century art/

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:41 pm 

democracyiscringe wrote:
Clicked the album art link expecting some CGI slop, and bam, Arghoslent. Yeah, other bands have used that painting, but no other album is quite as associated with it.

There is absolutely no bridge between the use of that art and Arghoslent usage of it. People try their best to make up some political tie between them. It's just a public domain art of an amazing painter.

Yes it is.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:56 pm 

I really enjoy this band, so I'll definitely give it a listen when it drops. That said, I'm really hoping it'll be a little different than their last three. As enjoyable as those were, they sometimes reach staggering levels of self-plagiarism in the course of those albums.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:26 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Rotting Christ is a band of diminishing returns and they haven't made a good album in a hot minute. They're also really not that good live - they went on after Borknagar (who absolutely blew the roof off the place) and I wanted to give them a chance, but I was by far and large bored out of my skull.

Agreed on the live part. I saw them at a relatively large festival in London last year and it was tepid. Very professional but absolutely no magic and a dull setlist. Lots of “big” choir effects but not much heart. I can imagine seeing them in a club playing an early set might be cool, but I walked out of that set halfway through and didn’t feel like I missed much.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:50 am 

Weird, I have always enjoyed their live show very much (latest being in December 2022, around 7 in total). Even if I tend to agree that the last few albums (post Theogonia) have been rather dull; a good track here and there, but overall, in one ear, out the other. Same goes for the latest solo outing of Sakis Tolis under the name χ ξ ς' (the eponymous solo album was slightly better though). Therefore my expectations aren't very high for this one.

Dr_Funf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:10 am 

While I'm in the camp that enjoys their albums from Theogonia onwards the most, I do think that The Heretics is a strong contender for their weakest album to date, so I'm both looking forward to Pro Xristoy and at the same time hoping it's what I'd consider a return to form.

whiskeyfinder general
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:27 pm 

ceero wrote:
I absolutely can not wait for this. It appears to be the unpopular opinion, but to me the last 4 RC albums are vastly superior to the rest of their discography
(which i also enjoy). As for the artwork, it looks absolutely stunning. It's the first time I'm hearing about 'Arghoslent' and checking them out explains why lol. I couldn't really care less about some random nazi buttfuckers using the same piece of 19th century art/

I think the last 4 are equal to the best of their back catalogue, but I don't know if they exceed the earlier stuff. Hard agree on the cover art. I think people might be overestimating the popularity/visibility of Arghoslent.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:56 pm 

The last couple of albums from them have been pretty weak, but I love their mid period and I’ll always check out any new music from them, even if it doesn’t land.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:22 pm 

Damn, RC is getting killed in this thread lol. I don't exactly agree or disagree. I will check this out, although I expect it to sound more like The Heretics.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:53 pm 

Mon the Varathron!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:37 pm 

nakzox wrote:
Damn, RC is getting killed in this thread lol. I don't exactly agree or disagree. I will check this out, although I expect it to sound more like The Heretics.

Probably because old RC is gold! Triarchy Of The Lost Lovers remains one of my favorite albums.
King Of A Stellar War puts a smile on my face. But yes, I checked out after the aughties with this band.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:07 pm 

I like Triarchy of the Lost Lovers, it's a unique black/gothic metal album but I haven't paid attention to their newest stuff, is it any good? The comments here kind of demolish their later albums.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:35 pm 

AEALO was the last one I really enjoyed, then they started making it again and again, except less inspired each time - they just keep brewing another pot with the same grounds. I'm not expecting them to ever go back and make a classic old-school Hellenic black metal album again, but god damn Sakis isn't even trying to hide that he ran out of ideas a long time ago and just throws something together whenever the label starts getting pushy about ending their current tour cycle and starting a new one.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:03 am 

I dig all of Rotting Christ's albums to one degree or another especially Thy Mighty Contract, Non Serviam, Triarchy Of The Lost Lovers, Sanctus Diavolos and Theogonia those 5 are essential. I thought The Heretics was pretty fuckin decent actually and hey as for the self plagiarism, well at least they're plagiarizing the best.
I'll be seeing them for the first time in May at a shitty little club that has a capacity of around 300. Never thought I'd get to see them. Can't fuckin wait!

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:59 pm 

I echo many of the sentiments expressed in this thread. I'd have been able to forgive mediocre music, but to me, the self-plagiarism is the worst thing of all. It is so blatant that it's sickening. I keep hearing the same exact riffs and motifs from Theogonia, AEALO and KATA TOY DAIMONA and I wonder, what has happened to this band? Not a single original idea since KATA...

Listen to the improvised part at the end of the live version of Forest of N'Gai from Lucifer Over Athens. The riff straight out of Fire, Death and Fear, on a classic song from the old days. Why? It's like they physically can't stop themselves from recycling ideas, they are compelled to do it or they will explode.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:19 pm 

I think that very few bands should have more than 5 albums, most bands screw up their new releases for not having good new ideas. It happened to a lot of bands.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:41 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
Not a single original idea since KATA....

This is the saddest thing. I kept thinking that this might be due to Sakis being the sole songwriter but it has been like this since A Dead Poem. But it is obvious that back then the creative juices ran in streams, where as now they are completely dry, so I believe a little creative input from the sessions live members or an external producer would do wonders as the vision is still there (to some extent). Unfortunately this is never going to happen and I think that Pro Christou will be another mediocre attempt and an excuse for touring.

SanPeron wrote:
I think that very few bands should have more than 5 albums, most bands screw up their new releases for not having good new ideas. It happened to a lot of bands.

I do not disagree but some artists have just better sense of quality, and do not allow themselves to sink so low. It's one thing to not have any good ideas at all and another thing to put out a decent album worthy of your past.

Yes it is.

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:27 am 

Also the same painting on this industrial rock album that came out less than a year ago: https://terminal-industrial.bandcamp.co ... w-republic

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:39 pm 

I must be one of the few who prefer Rotting Christ's later albums. Their last 2 albums Rituals and Heretics were high in my favorite albums list in their respective years they released. Sure they reuse some riff ideas, but those riff ideas are just so good and in the pocket I don't care. It's kind of hearing remixes of your favorite music, they have a distinct signature sound, mood, and atmosphere - and I'm here for it. IMO, the band have aged like a fine wine.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:06 pm 

LefterisK wrote:
I hold the opinion that Rotting Christ has had the most regressive course than any band I know (and I love to hate on modern Metallica, but at least 72 Seasons was decent). The last two albums were embarrassing and songs like "Elthe Kyrie" and "Apage Satana" are some of the worst I have heard in my life; if you are a Greek speaker this is laughable. Their best-off/old-school setlists are always the same songs and never touch anything unplayed from Non serviam, which has so many overlooked songs yet they seemingly take so much pride in this album. And I will never understand why the keep playing "Societas Satanas" live instead of an original song of theirs... This band has fallen off the rails hard; if Sakis let at least the new guy play some solos, it would make his albums more refreshing and interesting.

The title of the new album should have been "Pro Christou/Hristou", which is the correct transliteration. Because now it just reads as Pro Krsistou (which does not make sense in English or Greek - "X" in Greek is pronounce as "Ks"). Yet another uninformed/lazy attempt by Sakis Tolis.

I think at this point they are just trying to evolve this grandiose theme of big riffs and passages that make for an "epic" sound. But they seem to forget that this is not what they are. Greek black metal is about simple mid tempo riffs with evil atmosphere.

But hey at least Varathron and Deviser have released new material!

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
And also Arghoslent will always be the band that is best known for using that as one of their album covers. Really no point in any other bands using it after them.

Hmmm I think that Crime & the City Solution did it first though. :-D

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

LilTito
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:35 am 

PETERG wrote:
LefterisK wrote:

I think at this point they are just trying to evolve this grandiose theme of big riffs and passages that make for an "epic" sound. But they seem to forget that this is not what they are. Greek black metal is about simple mid tempo riffs with evil atmosphere.

But hey at least Varathron and Deviser have released new material!

Deathstalker1985 wrote:

Hmmm I think that Crime & the City Solution did it first though. :-D

Greece has a great black metal scene, don't limit yourself to only 90s bands

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:28 am 

Yeah, Hellenic black metal has a very specific sound and what was just described ain't it. Structurally simple, maybe, but definitely not about the evil atmosphere - even with the shittiest production and cheapest, most amateur drum programming, it was always about that majestic and dignified sound, like you were performing some sort of rite to the Olympians in a temple overlooking the sea. That's clearly what Rotting Christ is still trying to do, but not pulling off because there's just no spark any more, and what Varathron has shown they still have on their most recent material.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:32 am 

Frank Booth wrote:
Yeah, Hellenic black metal has a very specific sound and what was just described ain't it. Structurally simple, maybe, but definitely not about the evil atmosphere - even with the shittiest production and cheapest, most amateur drum programming, it was always about that majestic and dignified sound, like you were performing some sort of rite to the Olympians in a temple overlooking the sea. That's clearly what Rotting Christ is still trying to do, but not pulling off because there's just no spark any more, and what Varathron has shown they still have on their most recent material.

Agreed. Early Rotting Christ had a grandiose, majestic quality to them. Part of what drew me to them was how they made such a stately enormous sound with their riffs, melodies and styles. The music was unlike most other bands.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:16 am 

LefterisK wrote:
"Elthe Kyrie" and "Apage Satana" are some of the worst I have heard in my life; if you are a Greek speaker this is laughable.

This is interesting, could you elaborate, like below? I thought they are native Greek, so is this something to do with ancient vs. modern Greek?

LefterisK wrote:

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:57 am 

Well, I like the "newer" output by RC. It's not as riffy and guitar driven as before, but certainly isn't dull. I don't think that repetition comes form the loss of ideas, but rather it comes to build the monumental feeling of a song, like some sort of ancient Greek channeling. When I listen to last few RC albums, somehow I always get the felling I'm in some kind of ancient, ruined Greek temple, emerged in the smell of burning incenses and ritualic chants. The simplistic form may be the most adequate way for Tolis & co. to present this atmosphere, and it seems they're in this mood in this period of creative life.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next