Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
skitzorgasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:36 am 

Who pops into your head when you think of the best riffs in black metal? Anyone you guys think are overrated? Is there anyone in mind that is unique in their playing?
I did a search on here, looking for a discussion about this, and didn't find one surprisingly.
For me, I really have a lot of respect for Infernus. To me he has a way of playing that perfectly captures what comes to mind when I think of black metal. Personally I prefer single note tremelo picking to the two note riffs like Transylvania Hunger. Although I really enjoy Shatraug as well. Some other guitarists that come to mind are Isahn, Hoest, Jon Nödtveidt, Set from Antaeus, Hasjarl, Alex Poole, and Þórir Garðarsson of Icelandic fame.
If there is a discussion about this already, my apologies.

MutantClannfear
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:00 pm 

The guy behind Serpent Column is certainly one of the best in terms of technical ability. Ornuthi Thalassa feels like a classical album at times. https://serpentcolumn.bandcamp.com/albu ... i-thalassa

zera_p
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 12:25 pm 

the guy behind Swedish band Svartsyn.

Somar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:18 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/ ... aad/263542

the riffs on Deceptis are just so good, i know 1 album is not much to go on but I'm simply amazed by how good it is

choosing among the veterans, my favorites are Lord Ahriman and Ihsahn
Autokrator - Hammer of the Eretics
Avslut - Deceptis
Rur - Rur

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:50 pm 

Vindsval for sure: Blut Aus Nord has distinctive and ambitious guitar work just bursting with character. And old Negura Bunget (Hupogrammos & Sol Faur) is similar for me: packing a lot of variety into long-ish tracks. In the case of these two acts, that's some black metal which I can describe as beautiful, and that's unusual (at least in my collection). Most of the stuff I have is nastier or grimmer or rockier, so for me it's a special achievement to hear guitar in this genre which evokes beauty.

skitzorgasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:25 pm 

I'm stoked to listen to some of this. Serpent column really got my attention. I feel like I've heard that name somewhere.

babysgottalocomotive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:31 pm 

Keep this thread going! There's some fantastic recommendations here.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:28 pm 

I'm going to keep it pretty simple for now. Demonaz has always been my favorite and is most likely a huge influence on today's all out aggressive black metal bands. Trondr Nefas (Urgehal, Beastcraft, etc) is probably close to or even with Demonaz for me. The Darkthrone guys and Shatraug are obvious, but Narqath from Azaghal has been extremely overlooked imo. Azaghal has been extremely active and never done anything, but pure quality black metal. M? from Mgla, Onielar from Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult (really waiting for their next release)

@quickbeam I don't know why I never listened to Blut Aus Nord much, I've been meaning to go back through their discography lately actually... Guess I'll just start at the beginning? I know I listened to some of the originals back in the day as they were being released, but really can't remember anything.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:36 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
@quickbeam I don't know why I never listened to Blut Aus Nord much, I've been meaning to go back through their discography lately actually... Guess I'll just start at the beginning? I know I listened to some of the originals back in the day as they were being released, but really can't remember anything.

Haha! I mostly lurk here but I always watch out for your posts on the BM rec thread. I am certainly no expert on Blut Aus Nord, as Vindsval is seemingly a maestro in more than one style. I only know the Memoria Vetusta series plus the debut Ultima Thulee. Here's an example of the type I really enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IknKaReEN4

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:14 pm 

It's cool to know that someone's listening! I'll try to get around to some BAN tonight or tomorrow, I keep getting distracted by random things on bandcamp and buy stuff I end up realizing I don't like all that much.

Deathdoom1992
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:25 pm 

Probably literally the most obvious one, but Euronymous was one hell of a guitarist. His work on "Freezing Moon" alone (that solo) secures his legendary status. So he's always been the favourite for me.

BasqueStorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:31 am 

Snorre W. Ruch:
https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Snorre_W._Ruch/1120

spellstorm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:19 am 

very difficult to narrow it down to a single 'best' but guess I'll go with Carl August Tindemann. the way he mixes neo-classical with classic melodic black metal style is unparalleled.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:38 am 

If we consider Sacramentum as black metal so I would mention Anders Brolycke and Niklas Rudolfsson for their outstanding skills in creation of such mysterious feeling by guitars only.

Stuart and Gian while being in Cradle's lineup showed us one of the best guitarists duo and delivered innovative outputs to play black metal on guitars.

LordStenhammar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:32 am 

Outside of the obvious ones, Viktor from Enochian Crescent/The Crescent. Heavily influenced by Celtic Frost. Riffs on the first album were very catchy. Later on he got more progressive, but still remaining great.
To this storm called rock and roll!!!

Reply to topic