Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 4:43 pm 

Listening to the entire album now...whats everyones thoughts on it? Still weird how he reformed slayer despite putting this out.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 4:52 pm 

I've yet to hear any of it beyond the two singles, but most of the reviews have been very positive. I'm very intrigued and looking forward to hearing it all.

What are your thoughts on it?

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:24 pm 

Yeah just finished the full listen theres some great guitar playing scattered throughout which is the main highlight, but the drawback is theres way too much trying to sound like slayer if you get me...that maybe a good thing for some but bad for others, and this new guy on vocals is nowhere near as good as tom, but i guess its fairly decent for what it is. No more than a 3/5 for me, its about the same standard as Slayer's Repentless IMO

Evil Entity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:24 pm 

I dig the hell out of it.

It's funny I listen to so much Spiritworld...which is pretty much Slayer riffs in a blender...and now hearing Kerry King music in 2024, I'm thinking 'Damn, that could be Spiritworld riff' while also catching some Death Angel similarities too thanks to Mark.

Pleasantly surprised.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:11 pm 

Heard the first half and its pretty good. I saw in one of his recent interviews that theyve been offered a tour every year since retiring. Gotta wonder how much theyre getting for these shows.

goetia_unreleased
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:22 pm 

I'm going to check it out once it's released. Not expecting it to be good enough to warrant purchasing, but I would like to be proven wrong.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:51 pm 

I've had the promo from Sonic Perspectives for almost 2 weeks now, I think it's the best thing Kerry King has been involved in since Seasons In The Abyss. It's well produced, Phil Demmel plays off of King's riffs about as well as Gary Holt does live, and Mark's vocals are basically what Araya's were back in his prime minus the high screams. It's not quite an outright classic, but I've generally been lukewarm towards most of the stuff Slayer did after 1990 with maybe the exception of World Painted Blood.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Fri May 17, 2024 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 3:24 am 

Dear fellow demons,

brother King has left us. "From Hell I Rise," he said and so he did. Was it too hot down here? What mischief he's up to you wonder? Well, his new platter, wrapped in a sufficiently ugly selfie with red letters everywhere and some kind of ornament on his chin, basically picks up where "Repentless" left off but it also reminds us that God hates us all.

As an unwonted surprise, his Demmel spews a number of melodic leads which are easy on the horns. As an unwelcome surprise – Tom Araya is my witness – his Osegueda, who, again and again, has been selling himself short since Death Angel's comeback, now goes by the name of Jack in the Box and sells himself tomthumb by delivering a monotonous and repetitive career low. Cheezus. His box of tricks is very small indeed.

I still like that one song, "Idle Hands", and will probably listen to King's lot of noise 20 times in search of the new Slayer album, while, up there, King is busy brandishing his Bostaph ("It's gonna sound like SLAYER without it being SLAYER"), delivering the goods and being immune to criticism, having the cake and eating it. Quite nice. 6/10. If he ever returns down here, we'll feed him to the dragons.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:25 am 

I like it more than I expected to, despite a boring performance by Osegueda. (He is the weak link in Death Angel, so it's to be expected.)
As others have stated, there's some killer soloing on display, and some energetic riffage, too.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:26 am 

I thought he would name this project Reigning Blood or Reign In Blood. But using his full name is still a clever choice.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 9:26 am 

Yep, sounds exactly like you think it does. The fun part is sorting out the songs where Mark is imitating Tom and the ones where he’s imitating Phil Anselmo. You can tell Kerry REALLY wanted to have Phil on this.

I miss Mark’s melodic voice. Even in Death Angel, it seems to be sidestepped these days.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 am 

First impression, overall a good album. Some songs do sound like they're straight from Repentless, others from other Slayer albums. A couple stood out and were enjoyable, some are tedious. I have no problem with the vocals, not sure what people expect. Not crazy about the production, it retains too much of the shitty Fidelman sound.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 11:57 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
I like it more than I expected to, despite a boring performance by Osegueda. (He is the weak link in Death Angel, so it's to be expected.)

That's just blatantly incorrect.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 12:12 pm 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

I dunno. i love DA and own all the albums but would love to see/hear them with another vocalist.
But, at least it's NOT Anselmo on the Kerry King album.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 12:14 pm 

King is doing what he's always done, earliest gamers are not the most versatile ones & this because they do invented something out of their guts
But production is a point for the last Slayer got imo too much technostyle drums boomboomboom (on vinyl at least) and miss some chaos
I do need to wait until july for this one, I wasn't really sure but prices are going crazy when's out so it's before or never :/

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 1:13 pm 

I disagree with the notion that Mark is the weak link in Death Angel and that he isn't still kicking ass, but I will concede that his performance on this album is a couple rungs down from his full potential. I'm not to the point of arguing that From Hell I Rise is some amazing comeback to King's high point as a songwriter circa 1985, but he definitely brought a far better package of ideas to this album than he did to Repentless or Christ Illusion, and even edged out his superior work on World Painted Blood. It's a much lower bar than classic 80s Slayer, but he definitely came out ahead here IMO.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 7:37 am 

so I had it yesterday (my mistake for july) and got 3 spin of it - that is what I expected, metal welldone by a man who is not into instinct/intuitive creative process, just like everything by Slayer (and many others) since 1990s but with no bizarre prod so that make it fine, more direct - one song on b-side got my attention since it sounds like a Minor Threat/Verbal Abuse or something hardcore punk (is that Rage?) but all the rest is good without being great

Osegueda, I like his voice, it's just a little strange to have him here because of that, I can recognise him, it's not generic voice, so that's a bit disturbing

lyrics on "Toxic" sounds a bit anti-Araya-politic-beliefs

PullingOutTheNails
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:36 pm 

Listened to some of it yesterday and the riffs are pretty generic and boring. I didn't hear one guitar note harmony. Vocals sound to modern nu metal to me. meh

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 1:54 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
I've had the promo from Sonic Perspectives for almost 2 weeks now, I think it's the best thing Kerry King has been involved in since Seasons In The Abyss. It's well produced, Phil Demmel plays off of King's riffs about as well as Gary Holt does live, and Mark's vocals are basically what Araya's were back in his prime minus the high screams. It's not quite an outright classic, but I've generally been lukewarm towards most of the stuff Slayer did after 1990 with maybe the exception of World Painted Blood.

Do you like this better than Divine Intervention?

Twisted_Psychology hit the nail on the head for me. Osegueda is singing an album written for Phil Anselmo or Phil Anselmo doing a Tom Araya delivery. At its best it reminds me of Divine Intervention. At its worst it sounds too much like Phil Anselmo. Musically it's not bad even though I don't really listen to stuff like this anymore. One thing King said is he would love to have Halford sing for him. If he can't get Halford get a dude that is similar. That would be his best bet going forward. Lyrically I just can't get on board but I expected that.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 7:26 pm 

Bronze Age wrote:
Do you like this better than Divine Intervention?

Twisted_Psychology hit the nail on the head for me. Osegueda is singing an album written for Phil Anselmo or Phil Anselmo doing a Tom Araya delivery. At its best it reminds me of Divine Intervention. At its worst it sounds too much like Phil Anselmo. Musically it's not bad even though I don't really listen to stuff like this anymore. One thing King said is he would love to have Halford sing for him. If he can't get Halford get a dude that is similar. That would be his best bet going forward. Lyrically I just can't get on board but I expected that.

I wasn't a huge fan of Divine Intervention, there were some good songs on it (which is more than I can say for the 2 albums that followed), but it felt pretty confused, was poorly produced, and it felt like Hanneman was playing it a little too safe at times. I'd honestly argue that Phil Demmel's solos were better here than Hanneman's were on Divine Intervention, and the overall production was far better. Slayer's lyrics have generally been borderline lame since 1990, and usually Kerry King's lyrics were the worst of the bunch, so I had tempered expectations there. As far as Mark's vocal performance, it had more force than what Araya would have been able to muster, which is all the album really needed.

To be clear, I don't think it's a perfect album, and it's definitely no Hell Awaits or Show No Mercy, but I enjoyed it.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

StarshipTrooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:38 pm 

Slayerless

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 2:18 am 

I think the point is having Osegueda, with his specific voice I can easily identify to DA, so it's like hearing a DA album with King as guest, but without melodies
This album is not a grower, it's not deep, where I will listen and appreciate more and more albums by Suicidal Angels, Vektor, Powertrip, Toxic Holocaust, Flotsam.... here everything's said and done and it's not exceptionnaly brutal, not purely dynamic, not technical, nothing crazy
not bad, filling the room with metal right

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:36 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

Agreed. Couldn't get any more incorrect than that.

One thing I gotta say about KK is that he clearly love's what he's doing and at least he ain't calling it Slayer, I respect that.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:52 am 

I know this is not in the mind of anyone but capitalism's showing his face, when you buy a record 25 or 50% more than others (means 40 instead of 20 or 30), so what do we pay but a name ?

For an honest work, a true one, that would be another name, another band name, and for the sake of music we could judge if it is good or just average or bad or what, but no here it is Kerry King

I know noone care for that but I do

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:23 am 

alktrash wrote:
I know this is not in the mind of anyone but capitalism's showing his face, when you buy a record 25 or 50% more than others (means 40 instead of 20 or 30), so what do we pay but a name ?

For an honest work, a true one, that would be another name, another band name, and for the sake of music we could judge if it is good or just average or bad or what, but no here it is Kerry King

I know noone care for that but I do

Some of your posts I just can't figure out, this is one of em.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 5:08 am 

well, we buy brand, not music, so we got light music, % of surprise ? zero
you want someone who's doing music for the sake of it, look for people that left a band and enter or create a new one
so yes, I bought several months before release and for higher price than other records, because it is "slayer" one of my teenage legend, and because I can not buy this when release is out (ultraspeculative world) I knew there was little chance for a very great record - and in that way it is not that bad, it's almost good but I'm still more happy with Suicidal Angels for example]

I can't see how we could say about a band's lyrics "it is not smart" when having a little different opinion is a no go in all sort of human groups, mostly where people claim "difference"

gzusrocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 10:51 am 

Well, since I expected absolutely nothing from this album, it's actually way better and more fun than I expected it to be. It's that kind of casual Metal music to bang your head to. Nothing fancy or innovative, just meat and potatoes honest fun.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 3:46 pm 

Its listenable, vocals are a disappointment. Not bad, but not a buy for me. Its like the last Slayer album. I'd give it a 60%.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:16 pm 

Passable stuff, better than I figured... sounds actually heavy and energized, rather than like a sad older guy trying to keep up. Vocals are kind of annoying actually, I remember liking it on the single but I guess multiple songs in a row start to sound pretty screamy and irritating. Mostly it's what I figured it'd be. Kerry mentioned he likes Priest so much - it'd be cooler if he stepped out of his comfort zone and did something more traditional or melodic or something. Rather than basically a pastiche of everything his old band was. But oh well.

democracyiscringe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 4:36 pm 

I'm not on board with the narrative that Slayer being good once was all thanks to Hanneman, but after hearing a bit of this I'm increasingly on board with the idea Slayer eventually becoming bad is 90% thanks to King.

"I thought my hatred went away / but now it's here to fucking stay"
Come on. The average Slayer fan must be in their 30s or older, we can do better than this

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 5:13 pm 

democracyiscringe wrote:
I'm not on board with the narrative that Slayer being good once was all thanks to Hanneman, but after hearing a bit of this I'm increasingly on board with the idea Slayer eventually becoming bad is 90% thanks to King.

"I thought my hatred went away / but now it's here to fucking stay"
Come on. The average Slayer fan must be in their 30s or older, we can do better than this

Jeff Hanneman wrote all the music on Diabolus in Musica.

Reply to topic