PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:07 pm 

Helheim - Viten og mot (Sindighet)

About time I played this band again!
Great stuff.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:47 pm 

Entombed - Left Hand Path
Was about time this got a serious listen. A very cohesive album, albeit without much diversity between songs. The guitar tone is pretty awesome, not sure why some people don't seem to appreciate this HM-2 aesthetic in its prime form. There were a couple riffs in there that sounded pretty IVth Crusade-ish, which surprised me. Cool stuff. Swedish DM hasn't done a whole lot for me in the past, I'd like to explore it a bit more.

Terebinth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:55 pm 

Fonsadera / Biological Warfare - Another Way Of Expressing The Violence

The BW-side has two songs of their harshest material, whereas the fonsadera-site is pretty melodic, but kinda weird black metal.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:27 pm 

Defeated Sanity - Generosity of the Deceased

Some of their best and most brutal work. One of my favorite bdm bands of all time.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:41 pm 

Skeletal Remains - Fragments of the Ageless
Nice, a few tracks in and this sounds pretty great. It's a seamless melding of that bulldozing sort of Swedish writing approach with a more vicious war metal-ish militant vibe. I can see why everyone's been into this.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:14 pm 

Cabinet - Hydrolysated Ordination

How can I describe this? Is a mix between Nithing and Portal, but somewhat more relaxing and atmospheric than those bands. If you are into experimental metal and want to know how metal evolved from Black Sabbath to something that is between the white noise of a 90s TV and BDM with a dark ambient tone, check this out.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:43 pm 

Jelusick - "Follow the Blind Man"
Art Of Anarchy - "Let There Be Anarchy"

Two "modern" metal albums with a heavy prog influence, fronted by two of my fav vocalists, Dino Jelusick and Jeff Scott Soto. Both are killer albums.

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:03 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Nice, a few tracks in and this sounds pretty great. It's a seamless melding of that bulldozing sort of Swedish writing approach with a more vicious war metal-ish militant vibe. I can see why everyone's been into this.

Don't know how you get anything Swedish or war metal sounding from that album, they're clearly following the Floridian playbook (Tucker era Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Monstrosity etc.). Swedeath bands don't really sound anything like what Skeletal Remains are doing. It's a great album for sure though.

Coffin Storm - Clockwork Cult

These Norwegian lads have written a pretty great 80s style metal album. Fenriz's vocals have a lot of charm to them, and the mix of heavy, doom and thrash metal is very well done.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:56 pm 

Beatles White Album

In honor of April Fool of MA

White is the color

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:28 pm 

Burzum- Det Som Engang Var

Happy 30th anniversary to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Entombed - Left Hand Path
Was about time this got a serious listen. A very cohesive album, albeit without much diversity between songs. The guitar tone is pretty awesome, not sure why some people don't seem to appreciate this HM-2 aesthetic in its prime form. There were a couple riffs in there that sounded pretty IVth Crusade-ish, which surprised me. Cool stuff. Swedish DM hasn't done a whole lot for me in the past, I'd like to explore it a bit more.

Go for Dismember- Like An Ever Flowing Stream next.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:36 pm 

Kalaratri wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

Don't know how you get anything Swedish or war metal sounding from that album, they're clearing following the Floridian playbook (Tucker era Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Monstrosity etc.). Swedeath bands don't really sound anything like what Skeletal Remains are doing. It's a great album for sure though.

Fair enough, I'm no DM expert so I'll take your word for it. It sounded like it had a bit of war-ish flavor in the percussion dept, that's all. Floridian stuff is honestly sorta terra incognita to me beyond the first couple Deicide albums. Never had a whole lot of interest in the niche.

KaiKasparek wrote:

Sure, that and some of the melodeath classics are on the listening queue. I don't recall liking it that much from initial spins years ago, but will give it another shot.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:55 pm 

Veil - Sombre

Lifelover - Konkurs

Shining - Within Deep Dark Chambers

Strid - Strid

Iam venturing in the infamous world of DSBM, I was feeling a little bit blue today so I thought it would be a good idea to listen to this. This is exactly what I expected DSBM to sound. It's sad black metal, with an emphasis in everything that can be made to make the music sound gloomy, sad or depressive. It has a few instruments that most black metal don't have like piano and is heavily synth based like most modern black metal is nowadays. A lot of this bands are one-man bands, Iam going to investigate more about the genre but so far, it's ok, it didn't surprise me.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:12 pm 

Heh, that's a subgenre that never got very far off the ground, it seems, and never really produced a significant body of widely beloved classics. Strid is good for sure, though it's so early, does it really count? Veil's Dolor is a pretty nice release (never checked out Sombre, actually). Xasthur is pretty hit and miss but worth checking out. I Shalt Become's Wanderings might also be one to visit. One album I'd wholeheartedly recommend, though, is Wigrid's Hoffnungstod. Not sure how "pure" it is in its DSBM-ness, maybe sort of peripherally related, but a strong album regardless. Feel like there's something I'm missing.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:47 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:

KaiKasparek wrote:

Sure, that and some of the melodeath classics are on the listening queue. I don't recall liking it that much from initial spins years ago, but will give it another shot.

Have you heard Necrophobic- The Nocturnal Silence or Hypocrisy- Osculum Obscenum? If not, check those two out.

Motley Crue- Time For Change

Dr. Feelgood is just as [feel]good as the first two albums. I don't know why anyone disputes this.

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:54 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Heh, that's a subgenre that never got very far off the ground, it seems, and never really produced a significant body of widely beloved classics. Strid is good for sure, though it's so early, does it really count? Veil's Dolor is a pretty nice release (never checked out Sombre, actually). Xasthur is pretty hit and miss but worth checking out. I Shalt Become's Wanderings might also be one to visit. One album I'd wholeheartedly recommend, though, is Wigrid's Hoffnungstod. Not sure how "pure" it is in its DSBM-ness, maybe sort of peripherally related, but a strong album regardless. Feel like there's something I'm missing.

I annotated all the albums that you mentioned me, thanks for all the recommendations! So far Veil is the band that I liked most of the bunch I listened to. I have yet to listen Leviathan and Xasthur, I haven't listened to many American black metal bands, only Natchmystium and Grand Belial's Key a while ago.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:13 am 

Ozzy Osbourne - No Rest for the Wicked

I am just starting to like this.

Morgana Lefay - Maleficium

Pretty heavy, just my first listen but this is great. I think I like it better than Grand Materia.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:13 am 

SanPeron wrote:
Veil - Sombre

Lifelover - Konkurs

Shining - Within Deep Dark Chambers

Strid - Strid

Iam venturing in the infamous world of DSBM, I was feeling a little bit blue today so I thought it would be a good idea to listen to this. This is exactly what I expected DSBM to sound. It's sad black metal, with an emphasis in everything that can be made to make the music sound gloomy, sad or depressive. It has a few instruments that most black metal don't have like piano and is heavily synth based like most modern black metal is nowadays. A lot of this bands are one-man bands, Iam going to investigate more about the genre but so far, it's ok, it didn't surprise me.

Make a change…kill yourself I
Forgotten tomb Songs to leave
Abyssic Hate Suicidal Solutions
Nyktalgia
Anti the insignificance of life
Wigrid

Are all must for you…

But my solution when I have that days is to spin Satanic Warmaster Fimbulwinter album -songs Funeral Wolves Nuin-Gaer-Fuin and Winter’s Hunger and voila’ you are another guy and life is beautiful!!!!

Works better than Xanax

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:56 am 

Bronze Age wrote:

Pretty heavy, just my first listen but this is great. I think I like it better than Grand Materia.

Maleficium is what I consider to be the best ML album. Every song leading to the climax of the s/t track (including the transition between Final Farewell and that), the bridge in Madness, The Devil in Me and that last gem, Creatures of the Hierarchy (black album meets King Diamond!), all is just peak Morgana, peak metal really (Maleficium is in my top ever).

LOVE that album beyond words. Grand Materia is great (currently wearing the longsleeve!), just like the entire Morgana Lefay discography (minus the false s/t album), but it wouldn't break top 5 ML if we count the Lefay ones. Which we should as they are the same band. The two (just) Lefay albums are maybe my 2nd and 3rd favorites overall.

Anyway, Morgana RULES!

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

AWinterShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:00 am 

Ozzy Osbourne - "I Just Want You" From the Ozzman Cometh compilation. I think this was the best song to put on the compilation from the Ozzmosis album. Perry Mason is ok, but it's worn out and just doesn't hit as hard. And none of the other tracks on the album were nearly as good as these two.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:16 am 

Todays spins so far

Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race - Excellent proggy death metal.

Bruce Dickenson - The Mandrake Project - Another excellent addition to his solo discography.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:44 am 

Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream
Still not coming around to this. The guitar work is fine but the vocals don't do much for me, and the drums are bit lifeless with their relatively weak sound and dull patterns. There's only so much D-beat-ish timekeeping I can take before I lose interest. Best part for me was the doom outro, I'd take more of that...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:42 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Bronze Age wrote:

Maleficium is what I consider to be the best ML album. Every song leading to the climax of the s/t track (including the transition between Final Farewell and that), the bridge in Madness, The Devil in Me and that last gem, Creatures of the Hierarchy (black album meets King Diamond!), all is just peak Morgana, peak metal really (Maleficium is in my top ever).

LOVE that album beyond words. Grand Materia is great (currently wearing the longsleeve!), just like the entire Morgana Lefay discography (minus the false s/t album), but it wouldn't break top 5 ML if we count the Lefay ones. Which we should as they are the same band. The two (just) Lefay albums are maybe my 2nd and 3rd favorites overall.

Anyway, Morgana RULES!

Grand Materia for me is probably the most fully realized version of them, and has been my favorite of the ones I've heard - I think there's still one or two of them I should get to. Maleficium it's been a while, but that was also really good. The two Lefay albums are pretty much flawless and I'm amazed I went so long without hearing those; both are absolutely gems of dark, individual melodic metal...

Pharoah Sanders - Jewels of Thought

This is a tremendously crazy trip.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:41 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream
Still not coming around to this. The guitar work is fine but the vocals don't do much for me, and the drums are bit lifeless with their relatively weak sound and dull patterns. There's only so much D-beat-ish timekeeping I can take before I lose interest. Best part for me was the doom outro, I'd take more of that...

You have killed me…

Windir the blacksmith and the troll…

One of catchy songs of black metal….

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Bronze Age wrote:

Anyway, Morgana RULES!

Grand Materia for me is probably the most fully realized version of them, and has been my favorite of the ones I've heard - I think there's still one or two of them I should get to. Maleficium it's been a while, but that was also really good. The two Lefay albums are pretty much flawless and I'm amazed I went so long without hearing those; both are absolutely gems of dark, individual melodic metal...

Pharoah Sanders - Jewels of Thought

This is a tremendously crazy trip.

I only have Grand Materia, and Aberrations of the Mind, maybe I will track down a copy of Maleficium.
Thanks

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:28 pm 

Hell, get the Lefay albums mentioned - those are the same band and fucking essential. I also have The Secret Doctrine which has some amazing stuff.

Slough Feg - Down Among the Deadmen
Jethro Tull - Aqualung

Some folkier stuff...

Aqualung has grown on me every spin - what a textured, careful piece of work, really good.

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:28 pm 

Judas Priest - Victim of Changes

Simply one of the greatest heavy metal tracks of all time. Utterly masterful.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:29 pm 

Black Sabbath- Supernaut

This song's groove and feel make me think of a whacked out "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye." Particularly the breakbeat in the middle

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:30 pm 

Decayed - Chaos Underground

Strong songwriting economy... snappy, quick tunes, blurs of brash aggression with some cool horror movie synth flourishes here and there. The Hellhammerish pounding of the riffs is satisfying and everything just works.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:43 pm 

Decalius - Dehumanizing Loneliness

Following my DSBM journey, I came across with this album released in 2023. This is amazing, it's a lot more melodic than most black metal, it has obviously some post rock and shoegaze influence, but it isn't weak or bland, the melodic influence is on point and while the songs keep coming the album gets more melodic, the hardest and heaviest songs are the firsts ones. Strangely this album hasn't got even one review in the Metal Archives, and it went quite viral among the DSBM community in YouTube and Tik Tok.

For now, this is the best DSBM album that I have listened to, if you dig stuff like Alcest or even good old Deafheaven you will enjoy this pretty much, it's sad and depressing but it's also beautiful music. I will write a review out of this one, this is pretty good modern metal.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:24 pm 

Chelsea Wolfe - Whispers In The Echo Chamber

Haunting, lulling, mesmerizing - knocks it out of the park on all those fronts and then some.

Triptykon - Abyss Within My Soul

Repetitive in the best sense possible. Recitative, really. A bleak seance delivered masterfully.

Kvadrat - The Horrible Dissonanace Of Oblivion

....and here we've got one of the best albums to come out this year so far. Think dissodeath but dark and depressive. Mournful dissonant death metal. There's obvious shades of black metal in this palette but it all plays out so heartfelt, heavy and engaging. Deep splashes of beauty in these melodies that go down weird paths - so heady yet so emotional. Multiple listens shall now commence.
Did you need a protection amulet?

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:43 pm 

Cryptopsy- Dead and Dripping

The beginning is still one of the greatest death metal riffs of all time, there's just something...funny about it. I can't describe it.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:33 am 

Gamma Ray – Power Plant

I bought the debut when it was released and shelved it after two listens. To my ears, it was just one saccharine joke song after the other (the bluesy guitar solo in the title track was great though). Yesterday I listened to the first two Hansen-fronted albums, but I still didn't get the band. Now "Power Plant" but I still don't get it. Maybe there isn't much to get, and it is what it is: a wild and humorous mix of influences that can be fun or even funny when you're in the mood for it. But I'll keep trying. Next up is probably a live album, something less polished.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:11 am 

Metallica - Phantom Lord

The hidden gem from the magnificent Kill Em All record. Everything about this song just just screams NWOBHM (on steroids) and it screams well! It's just insanely good!

aidane154
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:39 am 

Demilich - Nespithe
Been so long since I listened to this classic, glad I was able to snag the cassette when I saw them the day after they did Decibel Philly

Sebkha-chott - Opusctrits en 48 Rouleaux
Always down for some avant-garde death metal/disco fuckery, discovered these guys through my good promoter buddy Austin

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:31 am 

Master Slaves to Society

With that band we can use the term underrated without fall in ridiculous

What killer album

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:33 am 

Coastliner wrote:
Gamma Ray – Power Plant

I bought the debut when it was released and shelved it after two listens. To my ears, it was just one saccharine joke song after the other (the bluesy guitar solo in the title track was great though). Yesterday I listened to the first two Hansen-fronted albums, but I still didn't get the band. Now "Power Plant" but I still don't get it. Maybe there isn't much to get, and it is what it is: a wild and humorous mix of influences that can be fun or even funny when you're in the mood for it. But I'll keep trying. Next up is probably a live album, something less polished.

Haha, too funny! I am going through the exact same thing. After reading “Your top 10 Power Metal albums” I decided to up my game in a said subgenre which mostly been restricted to USPM for years. So yeah, pure PM is certainly a challenging listen and most of it I just don’t get...and I’ve tried! However I do like early Helloween so Gamma Ray in general is a closest thing to it obviously. Last couple days been spinning “Land Of The Free” and do find it modestly enjoyable. It’s no “Keeper...” by any means but at least there’s some hope, lol

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:39 am 

Coastliner wrote:
Gamma Ray – Power Plant

It's speed metal that's more melodic than Metallica. Simple as that.

Nightwish- Elvenpath

How far this band has fallen since the good days. :(

Period

~Guest 21181 wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:48 am 

I could never get into most full Gamma Ray albums - they had some great songs but the albums never grabbed me. Even No World Order didn't all hit for me.

Year of the Goat - Novis Orbis Terrarum Ordinis
Year of the Goat - Angels Necropolis

Cool, ambitious band. Gothy but also a lot of Blue Oyster Cult. Lots of good, complex guitar stuff going on.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:52 am 

SanPeron wrote:
Decalius - Dehumanizing Loneliness

Is DSBMtok a thing? Interesting sound this has, though, kinda unique and feels like it's stepping out of the metal mould to an extent. The lyrics are pretty school shooter.

Another band you might check out is Elysian Blaze. Beneath Silent Faces and Cold Walls and Apparitions dwelt in that DSBM vibe to a degree, while his latter works evolved more of a black/doom sound. Levitating the Carnal and Blood Geometry are definitely worth your time, they're pretty phenomenal.

Then there's Gris, if you're interested in something a little more artsy.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:29 am 

Conception - Cry

In a ballady mood this morning I guess. Roy is the king of these. Even when he sings softly he never sounds like a sissy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2913, 2914, 2915, 2916, 2917, 2918, 2919 ... 2927  Next