* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:29 am 

Thanks for the responses! More please!

Metallica - The Shortest Straw

As a 13-year old boy hearing a Metallica album for the first time ever back in the day, this was one of my favorite tracks from AJFA as it was relatively faster than the other tracks on the album. Years on, it's still a great track by my book.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 am 

Glacier - When Heaven's at Hand

These fucking choirboy dorks sure could write some classy USPM!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:27 am 

Immortal666 wrote:
Black Sabbath - Lady Evil

One of my fave tracks off 'Heaven and Hell'. I think this track should be more popular than it is. What's everybody's opinion of this track?

Fantastic song. Monster, rocking groove and Dio is amazing on it.

Deep Purple - Roadhouse Blues in the car

This one hasn't gotten old. I can play inFinite in basically any environment and enjoy it the same.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:33 am 

Astronoid - Air

holy guacamole this is amazing

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:40 am 

Master's Hammer- Jilemnický okultista

Pretty cool/weird. I like it much better than Root. They got announced for Maryland Deathfest 2018.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:11 pm 

Sometimes I think that one is even better than Ritual. But then I listen to Ritual and change my mind. Their first two albums are similarly perfect, just with a few changes to the flavor profile. Those timpanis in The Jilemnice Occultist are everything.

I have a bootleg demo CD with some of their early stuff and the demo version of this album is bananas. No timpanis but much more savage and wild.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:18 pm 

Theocracy - Ghost Ship

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:05 pm 

Stallion - Shadow Run (from Mounting the World EP)

This EP is flawless speed metal, and Shadow Run is probably the most direct and blatant example of their style. I prefer a few of the other tunes that vary the tempos a bit but this one is a pure head-down charger. I can't figure out what happened between the EP and the LP but they sort of lost me. I'll sing this little tapes praises until the day I'm dust though. For fans of oooooold Running Wild, mixed with the sleaze of Crue, and some of the riffing complexity of later USPM.

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:21 pm 

Immortal666 wrote:

Metallica - The Shortest Straw

As a 13-year old boy hearing a Metallica album for the first time ever back in the day, this was one of my favorite tracks from AJFA as it was relatively faster than the other tracks on the album. Years on, it's still a great track by my book.

This and "One" were the songs that lured me into thrash: I was 10.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 pm 

Solitude Aeturnus - The 8th Day Mourning

Holy shit this is one crushing doom album. Loving a lot of doom lately.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:44 pm 

Sinister - Cross the Styx

Decided to go old school today, glad I did.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:54 pm 

Mary's Blood - Countdown to Evolution

Of all the bands in the j-power niche, this might be the one that's grown on me the most, which is ironic since they aren't really built on nuance. Quite the opposite, in fact, because in a lot of ways they're one of the crudest and most in-your-face sounding ones in the scene. I inexplicably skipped their debut until recently, and that's a shame as it's probably my favorite thing they've done; it's pure undiluted MB, all about kicking ass and having fun, and free from the ballads that (while not bad) kinda impeded the flow of the following albums.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:23 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Mary's Blood - Countdown to Evolution

Of all the bands in the j-power niche, this might be the one that's grown on me the most, which is ironic since they aren't really built on nuance. Quite the opposite, in fact, because in a lot of ways they're one of the crudest and most in-your-face sounding ones in the scene. I inexplicably skipped their debut until recently, and that's a shame as it's probably my favorite thing they've done; it's pure undiluted MB, all about kicking ass and having fun, and free from the ballads that (while not bad) kinda impeded the flow of the following albums.

They're easily the best Japanese metal band around. None of their peers even come remotely close.

Helloween - The Saints

Gambling with the Devil was a great album, if you ask me.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:09 pm 

Ran through a couple 2017 albums I've had laying around:

Power Trip - Nightmare Logic
I slept on this. There was a lot of hype, SC2112 wouldn't stop gushing about it, I liked Manifest Decimation well enough, but for whatever reason I just didn't feel motivated to check this out until now. Big mistake, because it's obviously fantastic. Big, angry, sweaty, meaty thrash from a bunch of dudes with goofy faces who look like they all need to take a bath. Thrash as a genre seems to have died out again with only a few genre stalwarts doing anything to try keeping the scene relevant, and as such Power Trip stands pretty much alone with Vektor when it comes to new thrash bands people readily admit to liking nowadays. I'm alright with it, they rock.

Prospekt - The Illuminated Sky
I only listened to this yesterday and I've already forgotten most of it. What I remember was alright though, some brainy power/prog stuff. Not exactly my usual style but it was alright I guess. I'll have to revisit it, though if I've already forgotten this much it's probably not going to wow me too much on a second listen.

Army of Dagon - Night of the Mystics
This is another one that I only listened to the other day yet somehow already forgot most of. Solid enough doom that at least makes a conscious attempt to step outside of the "tune low, play slow" trap but apart from having the thirty millionth nasally vocalist with 1/10th the charm of Ozzy, not much stood out.

Broken Hope - Mutilated and Assimilated
I mean, it's Broken Hope. It's BDM, what more can you really do with it? It's solid enough I guess, but even with the hometown bias in their favor I just couldn't bring myself to care about what I was listening to. Maybe my bias against brutal death metal bands that try to inject ill fitting toilet humor into their brutality is stronger.

Craven Idol - The Shackles of Mammon
Okay, this one blew me the fuck away, and that's 100% my fault. Y'see, I have a bit of an old prejudice with Dark Descent Records that I'm really working on overcoming. Back when they debuted I swear all I ever heard out of that camp was a few dozen OSDM revivalist bands that just aped Incantation and didn't bother challenging themselves further. So when this band's debut came out, with that band name and an album title like "Towards Eschaton", with yet a-fucking-nother Paolo Girardi cover, my eyes just glazed over and I gave it a pass without listening. Over the years though, I'm learning that whenever they break away from that established "DDRcore" sound with bands like Emptiness, Horrendous, Crypt Sermon, House of Atreus, etc. they really put out some fucking excellent stuff. Enter Craven Idol's second album, where I learned they were actually much more of a D666 styled black/thrash band and decided to see if the rule of thumb remained true. It did. This is some fucking brutally vicious stuff, with a surprising amount of hooks and memorable moments for something that is more or less just intensity and evil from start to finish. I definitely need to double back and check out their debut now, because this just rocketed up the standings for me. It's no AOTY contender yet but if it breaks the top 5 I wouldn't be surprised, I love the shit out of this.

Ogarya - Ubiquity
This also fucking rules. Excellent hyperspeed death metal that never really fully veers into tech death but toes the line rather frequently (there are a fuckload of leads going on at all times). Think of Augury with a little more balls or Leading Vision era Gorod for the kind of nutbanging janky melodies and intensity you'll find here. Two sentences later I think tech death really is a better term for these guys, but it's more grounded than your Decrepit Births of the world. Either way, this kills, and tech death fans need to perk up and pay attention. There are two women in the band as well (one of the vocalists and the drummer) if diversity adds bonus points for you. Either way this is non stop aggression and I love it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm 

Armory - Eternal Mind, off Empyrean Realms

This is really cool. It's high flying power metal, really bright and colourful, but with an air of grace to it. Sorta like early Gamma Ray going in a more cerebral, even kinda proggy direction. I dig it.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:43 am 

Lindsey Stirling - The Arena (guitar cover) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEZvIevSiI4

sweet melodies, sounds more respectful to me than other, more popular versions...

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:07 am 

Type O Negative - 'Love You to Death'

'Am I good enough... for you?'

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:15 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Ogarya - Ubiquity
This also fucking rules. Excellent hyperspeed death metal that never really fully veers into tech death but toes the line rather frequently (there are a fuckload of leads going on at all times). Think of Augury with a little more balls or Leading Vision era Gorod for the kind of nutbanging janky melodies and intensity you'll find here. Two sentences later I think tech death really is a better term for these guys, but it's more grounded than your Decrepit Births of the world. Either way, this kills, and tech death fans need to perk up and pay attention. There are two women in the band as well (one of the vocalists and the drummer) if diversity adds bonus points for you. Either way this is non stop aggression and I love it.

Good to see someone else enjoying this album. :)

Cytotoxin - Gammageddon

Finally got this in the mail. It's exactly what I expected. It's a logical step from Radiophobia but still retains that Cytotoxin sound. Very solid.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:44 am 

Overkill - Playing with Spiders/Skullkrusher

Now I like the idea of a thrash metal band trying out doom metal, but I'm just not happy with the result of this. Sure, it's heavy, (skull) crushing and all...but also overlong for no reason, really. Just stick to the straightforward thrashing, Overkill!

Last edited by colin040 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:45 am 

(2010) Aiumeen Basoa - Iraganeko Bide Malkartsutik on my way to work:

:thumbsup:

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 am 

Alice Cooper - Paranormal

Listening to Billy Gibbons playing on an Alice Cooper track is like watching a goth on a beach. Also, Alice Cooper is doing straightforward rock without any bullshit. Not bad, not bad at all.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:59 am 

Deftones - 'My Own Summer'

'I think god is moving its tongue...'

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:26 am 

Amebix - Nobody's Driving

Inspired and (still) underrated.

Black Diamond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 am 

Dream Theater - "Peruvian Skies"

"I'm the monster you created in your daddy's name."

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:52 am 

Type O Negative - 'Wolf Moon'

Magical.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 am 

Dio - Lock Up the Wolves

A superb follow up to 1987's masterwork Dream Evil, this is tied with Strange Highways for my favourite 90s Dio record.

Last edited by MammothRider on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soverysorry
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:29 pm 

Behemoth - Thelema.6

I feel Satanica, Thelema.6 and Zos Kia Cultus are their own era of Behemoth. When they were the living definition of blackened death metal. This album doesn't seem to get much love, Satanica was the start of their death metal sound and Zos Kia was the real transition into it. But this kind of just got sandwiched in between, forgotten about. Well for me at least. I bought it about 10 years ago and for some reason didn't really care that much for it back then, not the same way I did Demigod at least. But going through the Archives and I can say it's gotten very few reviews. I don't understand why, it's fucking awesome. Nergal's lyrics as always are very cool. I feel like I'm reading the secret scriptures of some ancient heretic.

philosobat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:43 pm 

I just paused Borknagar's "Universal" to listen to Solstice's (UK) "New Dark Age" off of their bandcamp.

I seem to be very late to the party but this is really, really good! Why are all bands named Solstice really good?

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:50 pm 

Temple of Void - Lords of Death

I was really hopeful for a monstrously heavy death/doom album after the pre-release of the song Wretched Banquet, but the rest of the album is just slightly above average.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:03 pm 

Alghazanth - Daemonolith

"Each time I speak, an angel falls beheaded from the heavens"

Yeah... I like that. [and that guitar melody at the end!]

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:28 pm 

Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power

The absolute BEST doom album ever recorded. Simply flawless.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:18 pm 

Helloween - We Burn

God, how I love the Denis era.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:23 pm 

Silbermond - Irgendwas Bleibt

I forgot how much I liked this band.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:43 pm 

Manilla Road - To Kill a King

Have been listening to this one quite a bit. It has more diversity in the riffs and the bass is nice and high, but I still feel—as with most of the recent MR releases—that it could use more time in the incubator. I'm trying out placing the title track last, as opposed to first, as it seems very weird to start the album with a ten-minute song when none of the other songs even come close to that length.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:12 pm 

Alice in Chains - 'Sludge Factory'

'Your weapon is guilt'.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:07 pm 

Sacramentum - Dreamdeath

A superb opening track. Too bad the rest of the album lacks the fire and intensity of this one.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:12 pm 

Woods of Ypres - Kiss My Ashes (Goodbye)

One of the greatest musical crimes of our lifetime was David Gold dying, because it robbed the world of more incredible music like this.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:18 pm 

In Flames - Lord Hypnos

One of the outstanding tracks from the brilliant "Jester Race". In Flames won me over with this album back in the day.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:20 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Manilla Road - To Kill a King

Have been listening to this one quite a bit. It has more diversity in the riffs and the bass is nice and high, but I still feel—as with most of the recent MR releases—that it could use more time in the incubator. I'm trying out placing the title track last, as opposed to first, as it seems very weird to start the album with a ten-minute song when none of the other songs even come close to that length.

Manilla Road is one of my all time favorite bands. But with he exception of a couple of songs, like The Fountain, I find their albums after Gates of Fire, maybe Voyager, are in one ear out the other. I like my Road weird and heavy/thrashy. And now I find them boring and I'm sad.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:34 pm 

The Gathering - 'In Motion # 1'

Dreamy.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2050, 2051, 2052, 2053, 2054, 2055, 2056 ... 2914  Next