* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose the Swans

Can't get enough of the crazy songwriting they do on this. The pacing, the strange progressive ideas they'll throw in in the midst of the giant song structures, the big riffs and vocal moments. This and the newest album have really made me understand them I think.

Turn Loose The Swans amazes me still. The way those riffs manage to sound shocking, rousing and dangerous AND also melancholic, supremely heavy and damning is genius. The title track collects everything and spews it over the world. A feast of esotericisms and woes, for sure!

...and of course I'm listening to A Mortal Binding.

"A Starving Heart" is a gentler one but couched in the middle of dark epics "The Apocalyptist" and "Crushed Embers", it is still gloomy by association. Lena Abé's bass grounds this in the mounds of burial earth. Ugh.
Did you need a protection amulet?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:28 pm 

My comments about them on here were based on some idea that I'd heard Turn Loose the Swans sometime last year. I thought I had. I was not really in a very good place back then - maybe it was that one or it might've been some other album. But yeah now in my right mind it does sound fucking tremendous.

Fountains of Wayne - s/t

I really appreciate this band too.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:49 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Slough Feg - Atavism

Atavism isn't their best, but the first few songs are really fucking good... they just keep killing. A lot of the back half or so feels disjointed, not as unified as their best work, but there are moments of glory... but fuck, "Hiberno Latin Invasion" has to be up there with their best. A mammoth flail of a riff.

Atavism has some good stuff but quite a few of the songs there seem half finished or are snippets of a few minutes. Very odd.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:05 am 

Nocte Obducta - Hexer (Verflucht)

Brilliant band, brilliant!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:06 am 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Slough Feg - Atavism

Atavism isn't their best, but the first few songs are really fucking good... they just keep killing. A lot of the back half or so feels disjointed, not as unified as their best work, but there are moments of glory... but fuck, "Hiberno Latin Invasion" has to be up there with their best. A mammoth flail of a riff.

Atavism has some good stuff but quite a few of the songs there seem half finished or are snippets of a few minutes. Very odd.

They'd just come off of a streak of really polished works, so I think they were just sort of fucking around and having fun on that one.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:27 am 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Slough Feg - Atavism

Yeah, I honestly don't enjoy this album all that much and you nailed it, sounds like its half baked at times.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:56 am 

Century - The Conquest of Time

On the liner notes of It Beckons Us All, Fenriz told to listen to Century from Sweden. No wonder, this is killer heavy metal.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 am 

So yesterday marked 35 years since the US Heavy/Power masterpiece by Leatherwolf, Street Ready. My 2nd favorite Leatherwolf album.

Spinning right now and despite the hundreds upon hundreds of listening sessions, it still feels like the first time.

Thunder is a PERFECT epic metal song. Perfect on every single aspect; vocals, guitars (solos included), drums, sound production.

Black Knightis such a riff-fest, up there with any instrumental.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:27 am 

Chapel of Disease - Symbolic Realms

Just found out about this band last week and I can’t get enough. The perfect amount of riffing and speed combined with a whole lot of groove. Anyone have something similar to what these guys do?

Currently Playing: Resident Evil 3 Remake

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:37 am 

Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy

Good!
Planning to see them live in Autumn!

firelord_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:58 am 

Abhorration - Desecrate the Exploits of God

Great thrashing death metal, been wearing this demo out.

Xytras71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:23 pm 

forestcorpse wrote:

Good!

Fantastic record! Never understood the fact that many fans consider it to be their worst. It’s top 5 of theirs for me! That production is just filthy punishing!!!

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:46 pm 

Coastliner wrote:
Morgul Blade – Fell Sorcery Abounds

Blackened heavy metal with a Nutsghoul on lead vox and choral chanting performed by Hobbits, Dwarves or similar furry beings. Good if you want to attune yourself to your next LARP adventure in the woods behind the house.

Their second album is out on Friday.

Nice! Had no idea they had a new one on the way - loved the debut!

AxeCapitol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:47 pm 

Coastliner wrote:

Blackened heavy metal with a Nutsghoul on lead vox and choral chanting performed by Hobbits, Dwarves or similar furry beings. Good if you want to attune yourself to your next LARP adventure in the woods behind the house.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:06 pm 

AxeCapitol wrote:
Coastliner wrote:

Yep, and I think the guitar melodies on the new one are excellent.

Some of the albums released today:

Accept – Humanoid: Cookie-cutter metal with a few highs. "Blood of the Nations" and the first half of "Stalingrad" were in a different league. 6.5/10

Morgul Blade – Heavy Metal Wraiths: Blackened heavy metal. Entertaining and captivating. The first three tracks and the ninth track are very strong, and the memorable guitar motifs warrant an 8 out of 10. Unfortunately, the album loses steam halfway through. Still, what's great is great. 7.5/10

Darkthrone – It Beckons us All: A riffy mid-tempo crawler that continues the journey down metal lane that started in 2013. Another good album but I'm not blown away, probably because I've heard some of those mysterious and spacy vibes better elsewhere, e.g. on Voivod albums. I can't help thinking: "Some of the tracks could be even better if the band consisted of three, four or five members." A two piece can only do so much… 7.5/10

Darkness – Blood on Canvas: Second tier Teutonic thrash. I can't remember their 80s albums, so I don't know how the new one compares but I think I don't need it. It's neither particularly gritty nor fast or technical or heavy or precise or loose… it just exists. Right now I'd say 5/10.

Deicide – Banished by Sin: It's after you and wants to rip your jugular and doesn't let up, no matter how fast you try to run. Melodic, relentless and energising, albeit too clean. I'm not a death metal fan though, the only other Deicide album I know is the debut, and Benton's double vocals (what's the technical term for this doubling?) should be flushed down the toilet. I hate this stuff in all its guises, in Onslaught, in KK's Priest, everywhere. Great vocalists (Araya, Halford, Åkerfeldt) can do without this shite. (No rating.)

Arð – Untouched by Fire: Monkish choir music with pianos, church organs and a melancholic doom metal backing. A fitting soundtrack for the days when you feel, er, cloistered. Due to my limited experience with this kind of music, it puts me in the frame of mind I already know e.g. from listening to the backing vocals on Clannad's "Magical Ring" and "Macalla". A different genre but a similar impact. So if you like esoteric moods and, maybe, the doomier aspects of early While Heaven Wept, this might be worth a listen. (No Rating.)

Currently playing: Amerikan Kaos – Armageddon Boogie: Jeff Waters' rock / hard rock project. Massive Van Halen vibes in "The Pasadena Four", obviously a tribute to / pastiche of a certain Dutch band that is no more. It's as silly as you expect a Waters song to be. Fun stuff. No rating yet because I'm only two and a half songs in. UPDATE: Some tracks could easily fit on "Set the World on Fire" and "King of the Kill" as they're not really any different from Annihilator in that period, some others are pure rock and hard rock tracks with groovy hooks that work as they should but you still can tell it's Jeff Waters. That's because everything is steeped in Waters' overblown silliness that renders everything ironic. Some of the hooks and grooves are fantastic but there's this nagging question: If you really love hard rock, would you turn it into a jokey freakshow? Are albums like this tributes to or mockeries of rock? I'm undecided, so… still no rating.

Last edited by Coastliner on Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 pm 

Seasons of the Wolf - Orna Verum

Very surprised if this one doesn't end up in my top 3 or so for the end of the year...

Accept - Humanoid

Man if these first two songs were what they considered a good way to open, it's not looking good...

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Seasons of the Wolf - Orna Verum

Very surprised if this one doesn't end up in my top 3 or so for the end of the year...

I can't wait to get it.

Wolf - Devil Seed

I've been in no rush to revisit Devil Seed. It gets off to a swimmingly good start with Shark Attack but after that it sinks into bloody mediocrity.
There's just no bite to any of it, even when things finally pick up for Back From The Grave and River Everlost, good tracks but by now I just don't really care, too little too late.
Again it's too fuckin long, especially if you have the version with the 2 lackluster covers on it.
Devil Seed sounds good, looks good but it's an uninspiring dud of an album full of half baked ideas and survives in my collection because of a couple of good tracks and the fact I'm a completist.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:27 pm 

The Seasons of the Wolf is really interesting. I played it twice but there was a bunch of Youtube ads. Not sure when I'm getting the CD yet so I bit the bullet and just signed up for a free month of YT Premium just to play it until then. It seems like their least metal - more classic rock in places. But absolutely spellbinding melodies at times and some really fucking crushing riffs. It's expansive like their old stuff again, with a lot of moody atmospheres. Gonna play it again later after work.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:55 pm 

Wings Of Steel - Wings Of Steel

Super cool debut 5 song EP. Class, classy stuff from one of the most promising bands in the scene right now. These guy's are shooting for the star's and I'm cheering em on to get there.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:56 pm 

Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend

Treated myself to the 2LP reissue of this a while back and giving it a proper spin now... just fantastic. This is how you pay tribute to the past properly without being derivative. A classic for sure.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:46 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
So yesterday marked 35 years since the US Heavy/Power masterpiece by Leatherwolf, Street Ready. My 2nd favorite Leatherwolf album.

Spinning right now and despite the hundreds upon hundreds of listening sessions, it still feels like the first time.

Thunder is a PERFECT epic metal song. Perfect on every single aspect; vocals, guitars (solos included), drums, sound production.

Black Knightis such a riff-fest, up there with any instrumental.

Indeed. Killer album packed with no-frills tunes.

Np:
Messa - “Feast For Water”
Recent discovery for me — it’s a very refreshing take on doomish metal. Definitely unique things going on here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:53 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Np:
Messa - “Feast For Water”
Recent discovery for me — it’s a very refreshing take on doomish metal. Definitely unique things going on here.

An incredible album, and one of the classics of the 2010s for me. Their other albums are very good as well.

Pentagram - Makina Elektrika

I keep coming back to this band at odd intervals, but this from a few years back is some top quality melodic metal. Heavy, pounding, engaging.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:08 pm 

Death - The Sound of Perserverance

I love this album! I know the not quite death, not quite clean, metal/death hybrid voice is not well liked but it works on this album.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:24 am 

Ozzy Osbourne - The Ultimate Sin

What an amazing album, the first song is one of the best of 80s heavy metal.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:37 am 

Suffocation - Current setlist

Heading up to Auckland to see them tonight. Only 11 tracks in the setlist but they're all bangers. Jungle Rot are supporting so should be a fun evening.

Lee Harrison
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 am 

Xytras71 wrote:
forestcorpse wrote:

Good!

Fantastic record! Never understood the fact that many fans consider it to be their worst. It’s top 5 of theirs for me! That production is just filthy punishing!!!

Because compared to other works of them it is less complex, technical and dissonant…

practically any other band could do it and this made people turn up their noses…
A good album but far from the masterpieces of the past..

Now listening Grifteskymfning Malignant Morningstar

The duration maybe is the only flaw

Protagora

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:27 am 

Elder - Halcyon

Digging this band, especially when the warmth and sun is here!

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:40 am 

Draconian - “Sovran”
Very well-executed doom. But, damn, the opening song “Heavy Lies the Crown” blatantly ripped off My Dying Bride’s “My Wine In Silence”.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 am 

Fimbulwinter - Roaring Hellfire

Picked up the Servants of Sorcery lp from Peaceville and i got an interesting take on Shagrath's early recordings before Dimmu Borgir.Ok i guess and i'm all for rescuing early demo material but a couple of these tracks not on the rehearsal demo were clearly unsalvageable bordering on unlistenable.Things clear up towards the end thankfully for the Darkthrone (The Watchtower) and Celtic Frost (Morbid Tales) covers but only just.

~edit The Darkthrone cover starts to get chewed up at the end also.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:34 am 

Bruce Dickinson - Many Doors to Hell

Still love it... I've found a lot of amazing newer, more obscure acts, but everything about this just has my number. Musically, lyrically, the atmosphere, just exactly what I wanted somehow. A really direct work in some ways, but also becomes more mystical and mysterious as it goes on, and there's just something in the songwriting that holds together everything so well. It does a lot of things for just the right amount of time and comes off really well-rounded.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:03 am 

Attacker - Forgotten

I need to stop listening to the Heavy Metal Pact podcast,it's too hard on my wallet.Could do with a beefier production but still a good time and had to get it soon as i heard Tortured Existence.Catchy chorus and a very decent guitar player.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 am 

Fates Warning - Guardian

I'm tuned in to the drummer this time around (Steve Zimmerman),what a player. Never too flashy with overfills,just pure class all round,very skillful.I was checking the archives and he hung around for the No Exit album so will get that next.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:42 am 

Dødheimsgard - Aphelion Void

Giving ''A Umbra Omega'' a sping again, really good.
Might still like the newest better though.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am 

Judas Priest - Invincible Shield

A consistent effort. I'm still to find moments like Rising from Ruins or No Surrender from this one though. Crown of Horns and As God Is My Witness are mostly stuck in my head right now.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:45 pm 

High on Fire - Hunting Shadows

Another strong ode to Lemmy,especially in the chorus but the song never gives you a break,it just takes you along for the ride.Never quits.
Also reminded of Kalas with a subtle note or two of melody so this one is turning out to be another highlight in the latter stages of the new one.
Coady Willis is also kicking ass all over this record.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:12 pm 

Deathhammer - Witchfukker

Awesome and sleazy black/speed thrash metal.
Love this band.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:15 pm 

Classic. Megadeth's finest album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 pm 

Candlemass - Ancient Dreams

This was always my favorite from them - it's funny since it is a bit of a lopsided album, with a few weird covers at the end and "Incarnate of Evil" seemingly being the one everyone agrees isn't as good - though even that's a pretty good tune. But the highlights are just their best tunes ever, between the first three crushing songs, "Bells of Acheron," the incredibly atmospheric title track, all great.

pikesteriff71
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 pm 

Tyranonaut - Erskine Hollow

Another must buy from the Heavy Metal Pact,and this time a nod towards Sleep 'The Sciences'.There's more than one riff i recognise here but still they give it their own take and more often than not pull it off with style.This is a seven part last track that takes up the whole of side B and it's a journey and a half.Very satisfying.
Hit it Shandy.

Coastliner
Metalhead

Location: beyond the blue on some ancient, tattered Fates Warning cover
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:25 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Candlemass - Ancient Dreams

This was always my favorite from them - it's funny since it is a bit of a lopsided album, with a few weird covers at the end and "Incarnate of Evil" seemingly being the one everyone agrees isn't as good - though even that's a pretty good tune. But the highlights are just their best tunes ever, between the first three crushing songs, "Bells of Acheron," the incredibly atmospheric title track, all great.

Although everyone may agree, I can afford to disagree as I'm not everyone. :-P "Incarnation of Evil" is my secret favourite from that (their best) album (tied with "Epistle No. 81" and the title track). That track... seemingly nothing happens for months but then, suddenly, ... "Into the niiight we will gooooo..." ... the chords change, the abyss is below you, you lose your foothold, black winds.

That one and "Epistle" are probably their most elegiac songs, and Messiah's vocal lines and tonal choices are sublime.

NP: "Incarnation of Evil"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 2923, 2924, 2925, 2926, 2927, 2928, 2929, 2930  Next