Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:41 am 

Meshuggah - Paralyzing Ignorance

There was a time when Meshuggah...was good? Yeah this is pretty awesome tech-thrash, not like their djent shit at all. The singing is still complete ass, though.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:06 am 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
Meshuggah - Paralyzing Ignorance

There was a time when Meshuggah...was good? Yeah this is pretty awesome tech-thrash, not like their djent shit at all. The singing is still complete ass, though.

I actually like the Nothing album, but nothing else of theirs really interests me
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

dragmire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:22 am 

Angelcorpse – Pleasure to Kill

Killer cover of the Kreator song.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:49 am 

Horytnica - Kochana Ma Polska

Musically AWESOME. Man they can write some killer melodies, but are apparently a RAC band? Would love translations of their stuff one day

Spoiler: show
Kochana Ma Polska

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn5deTwFPTU[/youtube]
Śląski rycerz
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:09 am 

Saxon - You've Got Another Comin'

Never realized that Saxon covered this. Pretty solid cover, definitely worth a listen.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:41 am 

Stratovarius – Hunting High and Low

Don't get the hate for Infinite

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:53 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:

I love it :lol: especially that song

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:14 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:

Remember that PS2 Dragonball Z game that ripped that track's melodies off in exactitude?

Zyklon - Wretched
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:57 am 

Dead Congregation - Martyrdoom

What a haunting intro track! And it sets the tone for the rest of the album, which btw is killer.

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:02 pm 

Devin Townsend - Solar Winds

Fuck, what a great album. N9 isn't my favourite song, but that's really the only song on the whole album I'm ever tempted to skip over.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:21 pm 

Dark Moor – Maid of Orleans

This song is an epic masterpeice.

The whole album is just one extremely melodic, bombastic, speedy, whatever masterpeice.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:29 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Dark Moor – Maid of Orleans

This song is an epic masterpeice.

The whole album is just one extremely melodic, bombastic, speedy, whatever masterpeice.

I should check them out. Always seen people talk about them on here but never looked into them

The Meads Of Asphodel - My Beautiful Genocide (Mill Hills Sessions version)

Damn I love this cd, especially this song. Half of it is just a improvized jam session I think

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:48 pm 

Gamma Ray - Fire Below

This song is pretty damn good. Haven't listened to these guys in years. May have to check out some of their later stuff.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:48 pm 

Alor - While the Fall Paints These Woods in Red

I'm sorry but this is just too blatantly a clone of Agalloch (who is a relatively unique band) not give me second-hand embarrassment. Can't get into this, though in theory I like the sound.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:55 pm 

TheAntagonist wrote:
Gamma Ray - Fire Below

This song is pretty damn good. Haven't listened to these guys in years. May have to check out some of their later stuff.

That was their last really good album.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:31 pm 

Ashes to Ashes - Behind Closed Eyes, off Cardinal VII

Some rather strong goth rock vibes on the verses here. Yummy.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:20 pm 

NP: Judas Priest- Dreamer Deceiver. That first huge scream gives me shivers every time, and the solo section is just sublime. Just an incredible song.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:53 pm 

Asphyx - On the Wings of Inferno

Pretty good shit. Solid, depressive, macabre death metal. Thus far I definitely prefer the non-Van Drunen Asphyx offerings I've heard, the only other being Embrace the Death.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:57 pm 

Perdition666 wrote:
There's 9 PVs on youtube, as weird as that sounds. Gacharic Spin may be worth checking out too (they comprise the rest of Doll$boxx), but they're understandably way out of the comfort zone of 99% of all metalheads (including mine initially, but they grew on me). Their bassist is damn good.

I've always been perfectly fine with all the jpop/jrock stuff and the usual Japanese shenanigans, so they're right up my alley. They're definitely good players though. As a funfact, the majority of the songs from Dir En Grey's first album have PVs.

Quote:
Same here. I'm a little nervous at the speed they're churning out albums though. Mind you, I was apprehensive about "Scenes of Infinity" since they essentially lost half their band. But they rebounded nicely, thankfully. The 3 ex-members are in Art of Gradation and that band is pretty good too.

Believe it or not, that Light Bringer is NOT my most anticipated album - the upcoming Onmyo-Za is.

Oh man, Onmyo-Za is quite good. I'm missing a ton of their discography as well, but I do enjoy what little I have.

Quote:
All their related bands seem pretty good too. Yama-B's current band Gunbridge I like quite a bit. I need to check out Syu's other band Spinalchord sometime. Man, if their upcoming album can top "Angel of Salvation", I'll be impressed. It was probably a good idea that I started with the Sho-era albums first (to give those a fair chance). I know full and well the Yama-B albums are god-tier hehe

I've always been impressed by how the quality of Galneryus pretty much stayed the same despite the vocalist switch. What Yama-B wrote is definitely god-tier, but Syu's songwriting is just as good. Angel of Salvation is a killer album. Of course, the title track is the big epic on it, and I love how it cleanly it incorporates that melody from one of Tchaikovsky's string quarterts (I can't remember which one, I think it's in the 40's) with Syu's crazy shredding.

Quote:
I find a lot of stuff over there quite fundamentally sound. Musicianship is usually pretty good too - including J-Rock/Visual Kei. They actually do guitar and keyboard solos properly over there too. Most of the stuff I listen to from there is technically adept, but I don't find it wanky at all. Some people may think I'm on crack, but I don't consider Galneryus wanky.

Yeah, I find some pretty technical stuff all over the place. Even the really wacky-looking Visual Kei guys know how to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR6FGRGk1UM

Most of the stuff I listen to is probably technical in some way or another; it's just how I generally prefer things. What I generally dismiss as wank is mostly generic techdeath bands.

Quote:
The live performances over there seem pretty good too. Not many i-phones to be seen either, thank fuck! If you haven't seen this yet, someone uploaded a live Light Bringer "Noah" (taken from their live DVD). Fuki has a good stage presence and nails everything effortlessly. Nice laser show too. :)

That's a pretty fantastic performance. Sounds basically like the album except live.

NP: Gargoyle – Halleluyah

This is the version from Aratama which is probably my favourite. That increased bass precense just gets me and the bridge of this song is flawless. Anyways, anyone familiar with Gargoyle probably can recall this song effortlessly given how awesome all the riffs are. As a side note, I somehow managed to pick up their out-out-print debut for about $14.00 (hopefully it won't turn out to be a bootleg or something, but it's worth the risk).

Well nevermind, they sold out. Too good to be true I guess.

Last edited by Dudemanguy on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:42 am 

Nails: Abandon All Life

such a great release. I can see how some people keep saying how this band belongs on the archives in the blacklist thread.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:47 am 

Man, Nails were great live (can't say the same for the sXe monkeys who attended the show and kept windmilling into me like a bunch of retards, in hindsight should have pushed a few of them down) and that whole album is so brutal without being mindlessly so. I think they definitely have a case for being added to the archives.

Nick Cave - Far From Me

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:51 am 

I doubt it'll ever happen. I'm just happy they throw out a nice short full length every now and again.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:40 am 

Reverend Bizarre - So Long Suckers

Such a good album. The slower parts are torturing on an emotianol level, and the few faster parts makes your head bang.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:58 pm 

Stratovarius – Eagleheart

Catchy as fvck!

Classy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:08 pm 

Type O Negative - World Coming Down, from World Coming Down

Far less comedy on this album as a whole. Pretty dark stuff going on in Peter's life at the time.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:07 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
I've always been perfectly fine with all the jpop/jrock stuff and the usual Japanese shenanigans, so they're right up my alley. They're definitely good players though. As a funfact, the majority of the songs from Dir En Grey's first album have PVs.

I don't think I've ever went into the J-pop deep-end (I do like Perfume though), but I do like a lot of J-rock/J-pop hybrids. I-RabBits, 1000say, and Zwei I like a lot.

Quote:
Quote:
Believe it or not, that Light Bringer is NOT my most anticipated album - the upcoming Onmyo-Za is.

Oh man, Onmyo-Za is quite good. I'm missing a ton of their discography as well, but I do enjoy what little I have.

Onmyo-Za is my favorite band at the moment. They're pretty much the reason why I started focusing 100% on Japanese music. Thanks to last.fm, they led to Light Bringer, then Aldious, Cyntia, Destrose, Mary's Blood, and so on. Aside from Galneryus, nearly everything I listened to for half a year was Japanese and female fronted. That changed a bit when I got into MinstreliX (first vocalist is female though), Lightning, and Crying Machine.

Have you heard Albion before? They're an all-girl band who sound a bit like Light Bringer. Their upcoming album is one of my most anticipated albums this year (it should arrive in the mail early next week). Here's a PV:

Only complaint is the bass-drum sound, which is really loud and clicky. I think I'll just pretend that's the bass guitar. If you're wondering where the drummer is, she left the band after the recordings, but before the PV was shot. So they used her parts anyway. They shouldn't have any problems finding a replacement, considering how many female musicians are over there.

Quote:
I've always been impressed by how the quality of Galneryus pretty much stayed the same despite the vocalist switch. What Yama-B wrote is definitely god-tier, but Syu's songwriting is just as good. Angel of Salvation is a killer album. Of course, the title track is the big epic on it, and I love how it cleanly it incorporates that melody from one of Tchaikovsky's string quarterts (I can't remember which one, I think it's in the 40's) with Syu's crazy shredding.

Indeed, that song is one of the best they've ever done. I was even more impressed that they pull it off flawlessly live too. Longing is one of their best instrumentals too - pure emotion and a perfect way to close off the album. Its kinda weird how a lot of their non-album tracks are really damn good too. "Metal Trigger" being one of my favorite songs by them (its the B-side on the "Hunting for Your Dream" single).

Quote:
Yeah, I find some pretty technical stuff all over the place. Even the really wacky-looking Visual Kei guys know how to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR6FGRGk1UM

Yeah, that was pretty all over the place and weird. Definitely not bad though.

The vocalist reminded me of the guy from LeVia (or would that be the other way around). They're pretty much visual kei power metal formed by ex-時空海賊 Seven Seas members. Mind you, LeVia's vocalist sounded a bit like 時空海賊 Seven Seas's vocalist. I don't listen to too many visual kei bands, so maybe they all sound like that. The only other one who I played a PV from was Deathgaze (out of morbid curiousity). Wasn't bad though, pretty fast and more aggressive than expected.

I found this to be pretty neat - MinstreliX and Matenrou Opera's guitarist doing a live guitar cover of Angra's "Carry On".

Quote:
Most of the stuff I listen to is probably technical in some way or another; it's just how I generally prefer things. What I generally dismiss as wank is mostly generic techdeath bands.

For me, its either technical or atmospheric/emotional (can't seem to combine the two very often). I generally dismiss Dream Theater clones as wank. Same with a lot of western neoclassical metal bands. I find most of that stuff really boring, yet the Japanese neoclassical metal bands are really good. And I find most power metal bands over there have neoclassical guitar work (Galneryus' influence, no doubt)

Quote:
Quote:
The live performances over there seem pretty good too. Not many i-phones to be seen either, thank fuck! If you haven't seen this yet, someone uploaded a live Light Bringer "Noah" (taken from their live DVD). Fuki has a good stage presence and nails everything effortlessly. Nice laser show too. :)

That's a pretty fantastic performance. Sounds basically like the album except live.

I own that DVD, its a pretty nice show. Its kinda strange how on sites in Japan like HMV Japan and Amazon.jp, that DVD has pretty low fan-submitted ratings. Its like, if they can do better... fuuuuuck. Mind you, I think that's due to the setlist because they play Genesis in its entirety and there's some songs that should've been on it. I kinda wish it could've been 2 hours long or something.

NP: Stratovarius "Nemesis"
Nice album, I haven't played this as much as I should have.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:54 am 

Skyclad - If I Die Laughing, It Will Be An Act Of God

Love Skyclad, even post-Walkyier stuff

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:55 am 

Same here!

NP: Hawkwind "Live Seventy Nine"

Not sure why this got a bad rap - this is pretty nice. Then again, I like pretty much anything Hawkwind's put out, so I'm not really the best person to ask. :P

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:05 am 

"Creed of Abraham" by The Meads of Asphodel.

Damascus Steel is definitely a grower. I'll probably end up liking it more than The Murder of Jesus the Jew.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:35 am 

Classy wrote:
Type O Negative - World Coming Down, from World Coming Down

'..and i know.. my world is, coming down..'

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:14 am 

Wilytank wrote:
"Creed of Abraham" by The Meads of Asphodel.

Damascus Steel is definitely a grower. I'll probably end up liking it more than The Murder of Jesus the Jew.

I like all their stuff actually, even the stripped down The Mill Hill Sessions

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:26 am 

Angel Dust - Bleed

So good...that stomping groovy riff and the iconoclastic chorus.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:30 am 

Witchrist - Judgement and Torment

Been listening to these guys heavily in general lately. They pretty much hit the sweet spot in terms of the correct ratio of slow crawling doom passages and grinding monolithic death metal sections--this track in particular being a real stand out for me. Maybe a bit late to the party, but it looks like I'll be dipping back into my wallet to pick some of this stuff up pretty soon.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:50 pm 

Alison's Halo - Wishes

I love this band. Little shoegaze, dream pop and rock. Pity they didn't last very long :(

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:35 pm 

Sea of Bones: The Earth Wants Us Dead

Didn't know till last week they had a new album. I'm so glad, highly underrated and overlooked crushing doom/sludge.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:43 pm 

Hell "Curse and Chapter"

I think I'm going to go through all my neglected 2013 releases today.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:08 pm 

:grr: Time to put some calming music on, after being donkeyed playing in a big online poker tournament (15,000 Euros and a seat to a game worth over 1 million)... Had to stay up til 5am to play it too

Vàli - Forlatt

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:33 pm 

Heavenly – Sign of the Winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN6e7pIe4Do

Really great song.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:33 pm 

Entombed - Clandestine [album]

Picked this up on vinyl yesterday, and dear lord it gains lot from being in that format rather than CD - I now own both, and it sounds good either way, but I'm slowly picking up on the magic of vinyl.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:13 pm 

Tiamat - Wildhoney

Been thinking of this album lately for absolutely no reason. Hearing random riffs and bits of songs. Time to relisten.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 1423, 1424, 1425, 1426, 1427, 1428, 1429 ... 2925  Next