Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalNewbie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:48 am 

Ever since my first time seeing that movie in theathers I was questioning this...

Is it really that big of a stretch? I won't spoil the scene for those who haven't seen it entirely, but I will offer a lyric from the Caparthian Forest song Cold Murderous Music off of Defending The Throne of Evil for those who have seen it;
"Try to stick your pencil, up your nose and smashing it into a table."
Now... It's an unusual idea to say the least, and granted it is meant in a slightly different way in the lyric than what transpires in the film, it's obviously very similar concepts. Now it is very possible that the same idea was concieved by multiple people but again, it's unusual to think of to say the least... albeit creative in a very disturbed way. Being that Carpathian Forest is one of the most well known Black Metal bands there is, do you think it's really that unlikely that the idea was inspired by them? I would find that pretty neat if it were the case.

EDIT: I am amazed no one else has asked this before! Not that a search yielded for me at least.

neonchipmunk
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:53 am 

They didn't invent that. I heard of this form of suicide (urban legend?) at least 15 years ago.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:11 am 

I don't think I'd ever attempt this method of suicide. It seems too likely that it would result in brain damage rather than death.

brundo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:14 am 

It was on a show called Urban Legends and they said some people have tried it but none of them died.

MetalNewbie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:26 am 

brundo wrote:
It was on a show called Urban Legends and they said some people have tried it but none of them died.

Jesus christ. Seriously, who the fuck would try that? lol. I mean, it's too dangerous for a 'common' machocist to try and there are probably much safer ways to hurt yourself... and as for a suicide method, what the fuck? lol, seriously. If you live where it's hard to attain a firearm, there are still soooo many sooo much easier and sure-fire methods. Guess maybe they are tempted because of the sheer brutality and the for sure drama that would ensue.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:26 am 

brundo wrote:
I saw a show similar to this, where they showed 3 scenes/events, and you had to guess whether they were true or not (similar to "Beyond Belief:Fact of Fiction.") They showed a clip of someone doing this in class, during an exam, and while the story wasn't true, it mentioned that people have done this before. The lyric and the film line is a coincidence, I'm sure.

Negru_Voda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:50 pm 

MetalNewbie wrote:
EDIT: I am amazed no one else has asked this before! Not that a search yielded for me at least.

I'm amazed that someone would ask this in the first place... seriously, Carpathian Forest lyrics?

MetalNewbie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:42 pm 

Yeah, I mean I had never heard of it or wasn't aware that the method had been kind of heard-of or devised in the past... noticed the similarity in what to me seemed like an exceptionally out of the ordinary abstract idea, so I figured hey it's possible. I mean who knows, maybe a guy doing key grip or something happens to be a big black metal fan and heard the lyric, mentioned the idea, word got around and it just clicked. It's a stretch but figured it was possible. Now that I hear it's been a known myth for some time it seems extremely probable it wasn't inspired by a CF lyric, but hey thought it was worth a mention.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:56 pm 

MetalNewbie wrote:
Ever since my first time seeing that movie in theathers I was questioning this...

Is it really that big of a stretch? I won't spoil the scene for those who haven't seen it entirely, but I will offer a lyric from the Caparthian Forest song Cold Murderous Music off of Defending The Throne of Evil for those who have seen it;
"Try to stick your pencil, up your nose and smashing it into a table."
Now... It's an unusual idea to say the least, and granted it is meant in a slightly different way in the lyric than what transpires in the film, it's obviously very similar concepts. Now it is very possible that the same idea was concieved by multiple people but again, it's unusual to think of to say the least... albeit creative in a very disturbed way. Being that Carpathian Forest is one of the most well known Black Metal bands there is, do you think it's really that unlikely that the idea was inspired by them? I would find that pretty neat if it were the case.

:durr:

~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:08 pm 

Homer Simpson had a pencil stuck in his brain because he put it in his nose.

Unearthly
Spectre of Wrath

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:33 pm 

Galaahd wrote:
Homer Simpson had a pencil stuck in his brain because he put it in his nose.

That was a crayon.

halofighter92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:51 pm 

Wait, I thought in the Dark Knight scene it was through the eye? Big
difference. Carpathian Forest isn't the first to figure out ways of stabbing yourself in the face. Dur.

MetalNewbie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:56 pm 

Yeah I know they weren't first to think of stabbing yourself in the face. I'm too much of a dummy for this crowd I think.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.