Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:06 am 

Is it just me? Or is every kid around my age (16) that says they love "fucking thrash metal" are only into what the bad magazines (Kerrang, Metal Hammer etc) call thrash? Such as BFMV, Trivium, LOG (Good but not really thrash), Arch Enemy and the Big 4 (Kreator if they're lucky)?
This is quite a pointless bitch, but I just think a lot of kids who are being thrown this garbage need to really look around more for what they call "thrash". Like what magazines to excessive reporting and tell you to like the bands such as Destruction, Sodom, Coroner, Holy Moses (That band's fronted by a woman for god sake, you'd think that as music journo's flock to any band with a pair of tits in it) and Voivod (though they are more progressive than the other bands)?
Or even better, what magazine tells you about bands that are right on your fucking doorstep? Too name a few in my area, Necropolis, Scordatura, Psychoanalysis, Demon-Stration (last 3 are actually Death Metal, Melodic Death Metal and Death/Grind respectively, but you get my point).
I just think if you're gonna say you like a certain type of music, you should actually be listening to the real stuff, and not repeating stuff on magazines, or worse yet, Wikipedia (we've all seen the disaster that is Mayhem's wiki page, not to mention others such as Destruction's which has little to no info about the band).

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:29 am 

If they really do love that music, they'll go looking for more on their own. When I started getting into metal, Iron Maiden and Metallica were pretty much the only bands I knew of, and now I listen to many of the lesser hyped bands, all thanks to personal research and such.

And if they only like the limited amount they're told of in Kerrang, so what? Their taste, they can like and dislike whatever they want.

MorbidAtheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:50 am 

Those guys are just going through a stage. Like the other poster said, if they love the music they'll go digging for more. All metalheads go through a stage like that. Then they find the magic that is the underground metal scene.

Lychgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:01 am 

Don't worry man, just listen to bands you like and let others listen to what they like. You gain nothing either through posting rants on internet forums or seething at others for being "untrue" - people are true to their own tastes and that is the only benchmark we can hold to surely?

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:19 am 

While i agree it's annoying when bands like Lamb of God and Trivium get lumped into thrash metal. There's no reason to rant because they don't dig deeper into the underground or try to learn about bands. One thing that bugs me is one of my buddies who without thinking will comment behind one of our friend's backs how they don't bother to check out stuff in the underground. What need is there to check out the underground?

I listen to the underground because I love music, I read all I can and check out any bands that look interesting without giving it much thought. I blind purchase demo tapes, 7'' EPs, and records at record shops just to hear something different. I don't do it because I need to, and neither should anyone else.

Plus the underground gets pretty lonely when you're the only person in your group of friends who gives the slightest damn about morbosidad, bone awl, and moonblood.

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:31 am 

Scordatura? You from the Glasgow area then?

As others have said, everyone needs a starting point. Now they may like Bullet For My Valentine and shit and think of it as thrash but the ones who are in it for the music, rather than to be part of the scene, will likely explore further and in time will discover the more underground thrash bands. Gaah I really really hate "Metal" Hammer

weakling_goat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:43 am 

Hmm they probably don't like Holy Moses because she sounds so husky and smokey. Just like a lot Gallhammer 'fans' say they love Gallhammer but after 15 minutes retreat to a more accessible band.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:48 am 

I wouldn't focus too much on what magazines people read. If you're going to bitch, bitch about the shitty bands they listen to. For example, the metal "scene" at my school consists of nerdy guys with long hair listening to crap like Opeth and Dimmu Borgir.

overkill666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:49 am 

At that point in a person who might be newer to metal, you should recommend bands, etc..tell them to sort through a ton of different metal bands. That way, they can be more accustomed to extreme metal, etc.

When I was first introduced to extreme metal, it wasn't really thrash, more like Cannibal Corpse, Immortal, Mayhem, and Behemoth. I didn't like it to begin with, but enjoyed it after a bit of listening closely. From there, I just explored the internet to find new bands.

To reach my point, help these guys out. Don't down on them for liking the bands you listed in the OP. Just say..'hey, if you like 'X' band, you'll probably dig 'X' band'. You don't have to be a dick because you're a metalhead, you know? hehe.

DenialFiend
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:59 am 

I don't see any reason to care about what the others listen to. Don't act like bitces. I remember a girls talk "Britney is the best". "NOOOOO, Shakira is THE best" and it goes on and on.. Even more, I don't like the words cult, true, real, elite and all that stuff, many "proud" metalheads use when refferring to themselves. Fuck off damn retards !

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:02 pm 

They'll grow out of it. It's only recently I've begun to get into extreme metal or any metal bands that are half decent.

And,if they don't grow out of it, who cares?! Their loss.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:30 pm 

Yeah, But if they really like Lamb of God and such they will eventually dig deeper and discover Sodom and Overkill and so on.

Last.fm

Callum_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:12 pm 

SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
Scordatura? You from the Glasgow area then?

As others have said, everyone needs a starting point. Now they may like Bullet For My Valentine and shit and think of it as thrash but the ones who are in it for the music, rather than to be part of the scene, will likely explore further and in time will discover the more underground thrash bands. Gaah I really really hate "Metal" Hammer

I am indeed man, saw them playing with Misery index, got the T-Shirt and EP. They are an amazing live act. Wating for the mods here to accept my review on that CD.

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:23 pm 

Sweet, I was there too, the guy in a Darkthrone longsleeve if you saw me. Misery Index were awesome and made sitting through the support worthwhile. I arrived during the last couple of songs of Scordatura. They seemed really really good considering that they looked so young.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.