Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nolan_B
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:41 pm 

Thulsa_Doom wrote:
Saw them last night and was a bit disapointed. The only 70s era tracks they played were Sinner and Dissident Aggressor, which were well done. But it almost felt like it was two different bands playing those songs and the band playing Breaking the Law, Another Thing Coming, etc.

Painkiller live fucking shreds :metal:

I would leave happy if they played Sinner, Dissident, and one song from Sad Wings.

I wish they would quit playing Painkiller, that song's so fucking overrated. I hate how people think it's their best album.

Eurnonymous
Streetcleaner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:01 pm 

it explodes with so much energy and metal. it is unmatched in terms of intensity from the Priest catalog. i don't see how he can perform those vocals on that song year after year after and still have a voice left.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:21 pm 

Do they ever play Ram It Down? I like that song. I saw them last summer and they were great.

Whackooyzero
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:36 am 

They definetly do need some more 70's material.

For whoever said he/she doesn't like their studio stuff. Whatever, it's a matter of opinion yes but I love ALMOST all of their studio stuff. Exceptions being Point Of Entry, Turbo(yes a cliche I know), and Demolition. As for songs, they need to have at least ONE ROCKA ROLLA SONG IN THE SETLIST!!! It's so underated, and RAM IT DOWN MUST BE PLAYED LIVE! For the Painkiller stuff, they just need to play One Shot At Glory at least once live! Nostradamus, they need to play the title track, pestilence and plague as well as Persecution. And forget Prophecy, that song is mediocre. Hard As Iron should be there also.

Here's what they should include IMO:
70's: Winter, Deep Freeze, Winter Retreat, Cheater, Run Of The Mill, Tyrant, Island Of Domination, Dreamer Deceiver, Epitaph, Call For The Priest, Here Comes The Tears, Stained Class, Heroes End, Saints In Hell, Exciter, Beyond The Realms Of Death, Before The Dawn, Killing Machine, and Hell Bent For Leather(I know some of these are already in the setlist)

80's: You Don't Have To Be Old To Be Wise, Grinder, Solar Angels, Screaming For Vengeance, Riding On The Wind, Fever, Take These Chains, Jawbreaker, The Sentinel, Rock Hard Ride Free, Some Heads Are Gonna Roll, Reckless, Private Property, Hard As Iron, Heavy Metal, Ram It Down, and Blood Red Skies

90's: Metal Meltdown, A Touch Of Evil, Nightcrawler, All Guns Blazing, Hell Patrol, One Shot At Glory, Dead Meat, Cathedral Spires, Jugulator, Blood Stained, Death Row, Burn In Hell, Leather Rebel, and Between The Hammer And The Anvil

'00's: Metal Messiah, Cyberface, Hellrider, Lochness, Demonizer, Judas Rising, Angel, Worth Fighting For, Deal With The Devil, Nostradamus, Pestilence And Plague, Revolution, Persecution, Lost Love, Future Of Mankind, Death, and War.

I don't mean they should play all of these of course. BUT INVOLVE SOME OF THESE! Especially some of the lesser known stuff. I REALLY don' want to hear Livin' After Midnight or You've Got Another Thing Comin' again! Breaking the law is okay because it is fun to sing the chorus at the show to.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:56 am 

Whip crack... stings the sky. Don't mess with me, I'm danger, the meanest one alive. Earth quake shakes the Richter scale. The more you resist the more the pain you'll feel. I'm blazing on to glory; there's thunder in my veins, and nothing stands before me; forever I'll remain

HARD AS IRON! (der ner ner, ner ner)
SHARP AS STEEL!
Stop for no man, you'd better beg and kneel.

If this song had been on Painkiller people would worship it as much as I do.

Also, of course they could mix up their setlist a bit, but they've always played quite a few songs from the seventies period. Well, most of the time anyway. I counted at least four when I saw them.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:20 am 

Going to see the Priest tonight and i'm looking forward to it. It will be my third time seeing them and they've always been good fun live. Testament are pretty meh to me, but hopefully they'll play the good stuff like Into The Pit. Megadeth i'm also not really into but i'd imagine they'll play Holy Wars and Hangar 18 which is good with me. Just no new stuff please

Thulsa_Doom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:47 pm 

SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
Going to see the Priest tonight and i'm looking forward to it. It will be my third time seeing them and they've always been good fun live. Testament are pretty meh to me, but hopefully they'll play the good stuff like Into The Pit. Megadeth i'm also not really into but i'd imagine they'll play Holy Wars and Hangar 18 which is good with me. Just no new stuff please

Megadeth were quite good the other night. They only played 2 new songs IIRC. They played Take No Prisoners, Hangar 18, Holy Wars, Peace Sells, In My Darkest Hour, Symphony of Destruction, Skin of my Teeth and A Tout le Monde.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:33 pm 

I heard Megadeth also played Mechanix. If that's true then that's awesome. They certainly didn't when i saw them on Gigantour last year.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:59 pm 

They better play Tornado Of Souls :grumble:
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:24 am 

Found some setlists, and all in all I'm content with the material in them. I've never really listened to Megadeth so I don't care all that much that it's the same run of the mill-list that they've had the last couple of years (from what I've gathered), I'm just happy to hear classics. Testmant, I've no idea what to say since I never listened to them, and Judas is just brilliant in my opinion.
I think it's a fair mix from most of their records, and they have so many great tunes it's hard to squeeze all of them in there.

Testament:

1. For the Glory of...
2. Over The Wall
3. The New Order
4. Into The Pit
5. The Persecuted Won't Forget
6. D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)
7. 3 Days in Darkness
8. Practice What You Preach
9. Formation of Damnation

Megadeth:

01. Sleepwalker
02. Take No Prisoners
03. Wake Up Dead
04. Skin O' My Teeth
05. Washington Is Next
06. In My Darkest Hour
07. Hangar 18
08. Tornado of Souls
09. Symphony of Destruction
10. Peace Sells
---------------------
11. Holy Wars

Judas Priest:

01. Intro: Dawn of Creation
02. Prophecy
03. Metal Gods
04. Eat Me Alive
05. Between the Hammer and the Anvil
06. Devil's Child
07. Breaking the Law
08. Hell Patrol
09. Death
10. Dissident Aggressor
11. Angel
12. The Hellion / Electric Eye
13. Rock Hard, Ride Free
14. Sinner
15. Painkiller
---------------
16. Hell Bent for Leather
17. The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Pronged Crown)
18. You've Got Another Thing Coming

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:22 pm 

The Megadeth set-list is just what I wanted, although some great songs are missing.
The Judas Priest one is decent, but I want The Sentinel, as it is their best song, A Touch Of Evil, Nostradamus rather than the other songs from the album. Angel<Hellrider, Judas Rising, Demonizer. If they would play Diamonds And Rust as they did in Unleashed In The East, I could have paid twice the ticket money.

But you can't always get what you ask for :D Still happy as its gonna be my first JP gig, and they're my 2nd favourite band. Gonna be great :metal:

Jarnroth, are you attending the Stockholm concert, 28th Feb?
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Silencia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:47 pm 

I was hoping for Heroe's End or at least something from Stained Class, but I was still happy with Between the Hammer and the Anvil. I remember my friend and I were discussing it in the days before and we concluded that it was the song we were most hoping for. We got out wish!

Jarnroth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:15 pm 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Jarnroth, are you attending the Stockholm concert, 28th Feb?

Yepp! But alone I'm afraid. You going too?

Anyway, I also would've loved "The Sentinel"... Great song indeed. Those first four tracks on "Defenders of the Faith", ack! I go into a fury every time.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:57 pm 

Yes mate! You could join me and my friend if you want :thumbsup:
Have no idea about how long we're gonna be in line, its fucking cold now but I want to be on the first section on the floor. They divide Globens floor in two sections, don't they?

Really love Defenders Of The Faith. It's a shame that it never gets mentioned along with Painkiller and the 70's classics. It's such a great album.

Jarnroth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:35 am 

Heh, sure, I'll queue with you! Just got to drink a lot so I'll manage front row for three sets, otherwise I might get dehydrated and, well, have to move back. Happened in the past, it's no fun to miss the main act - haha.
And yeah, I'm pretty sure they do split it up. They did back when I saw Sabbath there in 2005 anyway...

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:58 am 

Haha, I survived the entire UA III in front row :D Was slightly dead afterwards, but it was awesome to see Amon Amarth and Slayer!

I'll PM you my msn and mobile phone number.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2