Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:06 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
I'm about to give mine a quick wash in luke-warm water - wish me luck, I've been putting this off for a while in the fear that it might spontaneously dissolve when it touches the water, but it needs to be done.

Had a weird moment when I was taking all of the pin-badges off, noticing how many fewer are there than I initially put on; so many of them have fallen off at random, never to be seen again.

Same! i have lost to many pins at gigs :( good luck! whats the etiquette? just wash it by hand in luke warm water?

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:44 pm 

It seems to be fine; I washed it with some normal washing-machine detergent, rinsed it, and repeated maybe three times in total. None of the patches have discoloured, and even the painted back is fine, although the water did adopt the colour of that design a little bit.

I don't know if there's a "proper" way to do it, but listening to Manilla Road during seemed appropriate.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:31 pm 

Does any one know where I can get a Warfare back patch? I'm looking for Metal Anarchy or Mayhem Fuckin' Mayhem.

untappd: patrick_g

Dustin Dyson 666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:12 am 

You can't see all of the patches on it, but my Facebook profile pic has me wearing all of my metal gear plus a luchadore mask, goofing around one night. Here's the link if anyone wants to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=698150550199639&set=a.158171297530903.34994.100000141009692&type=1&theater

Here are the patches I have on my vest
Right side: Kreator and The Gates of Slumber logo patches
Left side: Overkill logo patch and Apocalyptic Raids album cover patch
Backpatch: I did have a Bongripper backpatch that I applied with safety pins but I took it off since I found a Ghoul back patch that I want since the thrash style is kind of my style.

I also have the top on the back completely studded and a Coffinworm screen print patch that I studded in underneath where the back patch goes.

I also have buttons on there from Primitive Man and In The Company Of Serpents.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:53 am 

Dustin Dyson 666 wrote:
You can't see all of the patches on it, but my Facebook profile pic has me wearing all of my metal gear plus a luchadore mask, goofing around one night. Here's the link if anyone wants to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=698150550199639&set=a.158171297530903.34994.100000141009692&type=1&theater

Backpatch: I did have a Bongripper backpatch that I applied with safety pins but I took it off since I found a Ghoul back patch that I want since the thrash style is kind of my style.

I also have the top on the back completely studded and a Coffinworm screen print patch that I studded in underneath where the back patch goes.

Sounds really cool man! you should post an actual pic though i would like to see it properly! i cant see much in that picture

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:33 am 

I've finally started sewing on my patches. I'll post some pictures when its all done

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:19 pm 

I'm thinking of foregoing the Arsaidh backpatch and instead picking up one of these Autolatry shirts that I designed when I see them tomorrow and using that as a backpatch instead. Any thoughts?

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:31 am 

Just started this week, work in progress, but its coming together.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:49 am 

I bought a Carcass backpatch and the tracking number said it was delivered today but it wasn't in my mailbox. Kind of pissed.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:30 am 

Got some patches, I still need lots more for the front! Might get a Emperor logo backpatch to go on the bottom.
This looks good, guys :-D
Having a job is good.

sonofevil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:27 am 

Update...
Also my only posts havent been contribootin yet just lurking around...
Some Pictures for you folks.

Cheers

Altar of Metal:

Front:

Back:

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:34 pm 

I got this jacket the other week, cut off the sleeves and dyed it black. I'm going to touch up the Warcollapse to make it look sharper.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:27 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
Got some patches, I still need lots more for the front! Might get a Emperor logo backpatch to go on the bottom.
Having a job is good.
Spoiler: show

Thats a killer SBG backpatch, If im going to put a Death album on my jacket it will be that one. Not to say it is my favorite, but it looks excellent with all your other red patches! I agree you should definitely add a nice Emperor patch on the bottom.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:44 pm 

I got a Midnight patch the other day and now I'm studding that side.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:28 pm 

Thanks go to Goodwill and my 2012 tax returns!! :P
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:35 pm 

Got one of the Autolatry t shirts I designed and made that the back patch.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:53 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
Having a job is good.

Spoiler: show

Benediction, Ghoul, SCREAM BLOODY GORE, Slayer and Asphyx?
You sir, you dun' good. :beer:

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:06 am 

Huldrelok wrote:
Thats a killer SBG backpatch, If im going to put a Death album on my jacket it will be that one. Not to say it is my favorite, but it looks excellent with all your other red patches! I agree you should definitely add a nice Emperor patch on the bottom.

Oh there's a lot of red now. I rearranged the patches so now it looks different, I'll post the finished vest later!
thrashmaniac87 wrote:
I got a Midnight patch the other day and now I'm studding that side.

Where did you get a Midnight patch? Everyone has one except me! :(
Ecliptik wrote:
Benediction, Ghoul, SCREAM BLOODY GORE, Slayer and Asphyx?
You sir, you dun' good. :beer:

Thanks man :-D

I finally got enough patches for the front, and I got a very interesting Nihilist patch. On the back, it says 3/80.
Did I do good? :o

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:27 am 

You can get it from Midnight's website. You just have to email Athenar.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:18 am 

I ended up getting the day off and I saw Iron Maiden (and Anthrax/Testament/Warbringer/Overkill/Megadeth!). My friend took this picture, it's unfinished of course.

I ran out of black thread so I used purple on some of the lower ones :-D

Stone69
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:36 am 

Dustin Dyson 666 wrote:

Killer vest, I always wanted to have a vest with the same cut as yours!

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:35 pm 

Have any of you guys used the artwork from a shirt as a backpatch? If so what's the best way to do this, so as the shirt chunk doesn't fall apart/unravel. And would you sew it as well as glue it?

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:47 pm 

Alsandair wrote:
Have any of you guys used the artwork from a shirt as a backpatch? If so what's the best way to do this, so as the shirt chunk doesn't fall apart/unravel. And would you sew it as well as glue it?

Cut it so it's kind of big and then fold the edge under itself and iron it so it's flat, then pin it to your jacket and sew. I have no experience with glueing so I'm not sure about that.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:48 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
Alsandair wrote:

Cut it so it's kind of big and then fold the edge under itself and iron it so it's flat, then pin it to your jacket and sew. I have no experience with glueing so I'm not sure about that.

Ah cool that makes sense. Thanks!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:54 pm 

Use a bottle of laundry starch, the stuff people use for the collars of shirts, before cutting it. Make sure it's a bit stiff and not stretched at all. You can also use a bit of tape on the back, then cut down the middle of the tape - sort of like taping off the ends of yarn/string before cutting it to get a neat end. Cut on a flat surface. You could probably get a great edge if you use masking tape or something, cut right down the center, then fold the tape over, iron it, and sew through that. You could also skip ironing the edges and put studs through it to frame it!

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:16 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Use a bottle of laundry starch, the stuff people use for the collars of shirts, before cutting it. Make sure it's a bit stiff and not stretched at all. You can also use a bit of tape on the back, then cut down the middle of the tape - sort of like taping off the ends of yarn/string before cutting it to get a neat end. Cut on a flat surface. You could probably get a great edge if you use masking tape or something, cut right down the center, then fold the tape over, iron it, and sew through that. You could also skip ironing the edges and put studs through it to frame it!

Thanks for the tips!

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:01 am 

Starting mine now since I have a few metal band patches. I've had the led zeppelin and pink floyd patches for as long as I can remember so now they wont just be something pinned to my wall. I think I should rearrange some of these though before I sow them.

edit: any advice for making pins stay on better? I almost lost a few when I wore this at a concert in the pit.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:35 am 

Any advice for how to start one of these? I've got a few patches (Bonesaw, Fukpig, The Vexed) but I want to make sure I don't fuck everything up somehow, especially seeing as I've always struggled with manipulating clothing.

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:55 am 

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Any advice for how to start one of these? I've got a few patches (Bonesaw, Fukpig, The Vexed) but I want to make sure I don't fuck everything up somehow, especially seeing as I've always struggled with manipulating clothing.

Cut off the sleeves. Sew on the patches.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:16 am 

I'd say its definitely good to collect a lot of the patches youre going to put on before you start attaching them. That way you can arrange them all on the vest before you sew so you know what the final outcome will look like. Also, use pins.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:36 pm 

Is it recommended to keep the buttons on, especially if I'm going to be going into pits? Are there any good ways to secure them better?

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:30 am 

Big_Grand wrote:
Is it recommended to keep the buttons on, especially if I'm going to be going into pits? Are there any good ways to secure them better?

I'd just say don't be surprised if you lose one or two over time. I fucked up and lost a nice square ANS pin I had in the pit at Iron Maiden, so it goes.

If you can't stand to lose em just put some super glue on the sharp part before you pin it on your vest.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:19 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Yeah, using women as sewing machines because you are too lazy/moronic (in that case you probably can't be trusted to tie your shoes or wipe your ass either) is fucking lame.

*snort* I used to hold my boyfriend's jacket while he went into the pit.

My husband had to sew a button onto his suit the other day and I was gobsmacked that he didn't know how to do it. I had to show him how to thread the needle, how to measure out the right amount of thread, and how to knot the free end of the thread. He didn't want to pay attention, but I made him do it, anyway.

There are videos on Youtube on how to do anything. Check them out.
(Also, buy a cheap-ass little sewing kit so you will have a needle threader. One with a thimble would be good too. Trust me, these things help.)

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:22 pm 

A question: would it be at all feasible/worthwhile to make patches by printing out the design onto iron-on transfer paper (or having it done for you via a website) and then ironing it onto a piece of sturdy cotton fabric before cutting and sewing? I could easily wrap/hem the edges of a patch, but I don't know if iron-on transfer works aesthetically or just looks stupid.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:28 pm 

Iron-on always looks bad. Glossy yet dull.

KatyShouldKnowBetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:32 pm 

Good point.

Natskygge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:48 pm 

KatyShouldKnowBetter wrote:
inhumanist wrote:
Yeah, using women as sewing machines because you are too lazy/moronic (in that case you probably can't be trusted to tie your shoes or wipe your ass either) is fucking lame.

*snort* I used to hold my boyfriend's jacket while he went into the pit.

My husband had to sew a button onto his suit the other day and I was gobsmacked that he didn't know how to do it. I had to show him how to thread the needle, how to measure out the right amount of thread, and how to knot the free end of the thread. He didn't want to pay attention, but I made him do it, anyway.

I was at a medieval market this summer, working in the "sew your own medieval purse"-workshop. It was quite depressing how bad most people were at sewing - children as well as adults. I had adults come up to me, holding out the thread and needle. "It fell off", they would say, and then I had to thread it for them, because apparently that was a really difficult thing to do. :scratch:
I've helped one friend sew on a patch, but that was only because we were in the middle of Wacken, and I was considerably more sober than him. I wouldn't do a whole vest/jacket for someone. And it's a bit of an intern joke among some of my friends that one of them will come home from Wacken with a bunch of patches, give them to his mother along with his vest, and then she'll sew them on. :lol:

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:59 pm 

Anyone have some good tips how to sew patches on leather jackets?

Got this Necromantia patcht he other day, and I want to have it something like this on my jacket:

666Emperor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:06 pm 

forestcorpse wrote:
Anyone have some good tips how to sew patches on leather jackets?

Got this Necromantia patcht he other day, and I want to have it something like this on my jacket:

Sweet patch! I've bought a needle and some yarn which are specifically made for sewing leather. Also I suggest you buy a thimble, if you don't want to fuck up your finger tips.

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:09 pm 

Depends a lot on how thick the leather is. I had a hell of a time trying to sew a patch onto a very thick leather yesterday, even with a reasonably sturdy needle and quality thread.
Just find the thickest needle you can find - if you can find one specifically meant for sewing through thick material, that's all the better - and if you don't want really sore fingertips, wear some gloves or something. Although that would probably inhibit your sewing ability a fair amount.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 88  Next