Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 93445
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:42 am 

Blasphereion - rest in peace (91 0smose)

bloody awful vox!

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:48 am 

MaDTranslvanian wrote:
Yeah I'm sure Transilvanian Hunger would sound a hell of a lot better with Bruce Dickinson singing huh...?

Yes I'm sure it would.

MikeyC wrote:
You've just dissed a fuckload of bands.

I'm not dissing the bands, I just don't listen to them. I feel like the singer ruins their music and if they had a singer with clean vocals then I'd definitely listen to them.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:20 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I'm not dissing the bands, I just don't listen to them. I feel like the singer ruins their music and if they had a singer with clean vocals then I'd definitely listen to them.

I can see what you're saying, but you're missing out on thousands and thousands of bands. :)

In any case, you should check out Martyr (Can) (particularly their last album, which utilises the most clean shouting vocals), and Spiral Architect, even though they're more of a progressive metal style.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:27 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
MaDTranslvanian wrote:
Yeah I'm sure Transilvanian Hunger would sound a hell of a lot better with Bruce Dickinson singing huh...?

Yes I'm sure it would.

Ha!

agentsteel666 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Man, you should really try to get used to dirty vocals. If you ditch the "It's all just noise" attitude you'll find all sorts of new bands to listen to. For some people it's an acquired taste, so there may just be hope for you yet.

Oh, and I personally find your statement that they "ruin" their music rather insulting as I am myself a death metal vocalist.

MortalScum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:42 am 

Deicide's later work is almost completely ruined by Glen Benton's horrible vocals, He overuses layering and he sounds like a dying boar.

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:51 am 

Vio-Lence, I don't care for Sean's style.
Wrath, I might like Nothing to Fear but the vocalist reminds me of Stewart from madtv.
Galneryus. The Flag of Punishment.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:00 am 

MortalScum wrote:
Deicide's later work is almost completely ruined by Glen Benton's horrible vocals, He overuses layering and he sounds like a dying boar.

No, Deicide's later work is ruined by it being Deicide and having been written after the debut.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:07 am 

MortalScum wrote:

I agree 100%

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:11 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Yeah, I could see that clean vocals would work much, much better with Devourment and Brodequin than their respective current vocal approaches :rolleyes:

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:02 am 

Iced Earth´s debut would be a great album, if Gene Adam didn´t sing on it. He´s just terrible, his high pitched vocals plain suck. Even John Greely is better.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:27 am 

Helloween's Walls of Jericho would sound so much better if Kiske sang on it. Hansen sounds like a ten year old with strep throat.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:10 am 

samekh wrote:
He could have at least done a second take on the title track "Twilight of the Gods" when he sings in what's supposed to be a powerful moment in the song (the phrase "It is the twilight of the gooooodddds") and misses the last note by a mile.

I think that's exactly THAT powerful moment. The lack of technique is completely dominated by the sheer passion his strained vocals manage to portray.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

McCannFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:45 am 

Capharnaum. Good tech death, but the vocals, done mostly by Matt Heafy, are totally gay. Who let's this guy get behind the mic? Honestly...

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:12 pm 

I actually like Baloff's vocals on Bonded By Blood... the echo is a bit overkill, but his over-the-top style just makes the music that much more insane.

James LaBrie can get his larynx ripped out by a rabid cougar for all I care. It'd probably be an improvement over his ultra-nasal powerless falsetto.

About the thrash vocalists generally ruining albums... I heartily disagree. Yes, there are some BAD thrash vocalists out there (the guy from Evile springs to mind), but Anthrax's glory days wouldn't have been half of what they are if it weren't for Belladonna. Not to mention the insanity Destroyer brings to Nocturnal Breed, or whatever the guy from Fastkill's name is. Bobby Blitz? His early vocal styles are downright PERFECT for thrash (later is still good, but a bit more "meh"). Oh, and how about Martin Walkyier of Sabbat? No way a standard vocalist could do justice to Dreamweaver.

I know someone's waiting to mention Snake from Voivod. I'm giving a pre-emptive Fuck you! to that statement. His soulless, robotic monotone drawl WOULD suck otherwise, but it's perfect for the soulless, robotic sound Voivod was going for.

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:15 pm 

Human Rejection - Torture Of Decimation

The music top notch brutal death metal, great production, powerful sound, crushing riffs and blast beats but then the damn vocals. It sounds like a strangled rat. Imagine Devourment, with the low pitch gurgling vocals and then take the opposite. It is absolutely horrible.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:35 pm 

Rottenrectum wrote:
Human Rejection - Torture Of Decimation

The music top notch brutal death metal, great production, powerful sound, crushing riffs and blast beats but then the damn vocals. It sounds like a strangled rat. Imagine Devourment, with the low pitch gurgling vocals and then take the opposite. It is absolutely horrible.

i wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

ahr888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:40 pm 

All of heavy metal. When a dude starts screaming like a chick, that's it for me.

Monotonous screams: Slayer and Meshuggah come to mind, where the music can be good but the dull monotony of the vocals make you want the song to be over.

Metalcore, when the vocalist doesn't to death metal vocals.

All the non-metal metal, that's anathema on this board. The music can be pretty good but when some dude talks, or thinks he can sing, or tries to be a rapper, that ruins it.

Death metal guys doing shrieks as in Kataklysm.

Thrashhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:05 pm 

Behemoth, all of Behemoth. I can't stand the vocals.

Gompidge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 pm 

Agree with those who mentioned Silencer's 'Death - Peirce Me' and Death Magnetic..

I've only listened to it once, but I seem to remember being quite put off by the vocals on Helheim's 'Jormundgand' album.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:32 pm 

Walls Of Jericho is Helloween's best fucking album ever! Kai was the best singer if the band, really. Maybe not technically, but he owns Kiske and Deris!

I have to agree with those who mentions Baloff. I would have enjoyed Bonded By Blood much more if they had a better singer. Also, I have problems with listening to any Overkill album after Fell The Fire. Bobby is fucking annoying.

And yeah....I don't listen to the Ozzy-era Black Sabbath albums. I can't stand Ozzy's vocals :oh shit:
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:27 pm 

Most Graveland albums. I love Graveland but Rob's vocals are so monotonus and get annoying after a while.

Mullan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:40 pm 

Faith no more's "The Real Thing".

Some good music there, but Mike Patton cannot rap for the life of him, and his whiny, nasal voice is horrible. Patton in general can be a pretty hit and miss vocalist, but on the real thing he's annoying virtually all the way through.

Also the typical power metal vocal style annoys me.

Oh, and the I find the vocals on Uaral's Lamentos a Poema Muerto very grating. I might grow to appreciate them in time like I did with other harsh vocal styles... but not yet

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:27 pm 

Mayhem's DMDS all the way - it's not that I dislike the unorthodox style, the performance is just so blatantly subpar. In fact it's precisely the fact that I usually appreciate Attila's batshit insane theatrics (vocal-wise, I mean, fuck his Bugs Bunny costumes) that makes it all even more irksome to me. When he provided vocals for Emperor's cover of Funeral Fog he completely shat all over his original performance, to point out the most obvious example. Even Ordo Ad Chao, hit-and-miss as it is a whole, displays far more interesting vocal work.

I normally enjoy his voice greatly, but Gaahl is shit on Gorgoroth's live dvd. A fucking waste because the setlist is as awesome as it gets (though I still find it insulting that no songs from Pentagram were included). Most of the time it sounds like a strained, prolonged nasal whining - what the fuck happened there?
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

NickIsGuitarded
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:49 pm 

Windwaker wrote:
70% of all the thrash metal albums are completely ruined by the vocalists.

I agree entirely.

agentsteel666

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:57 am 

MikeyC wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

I can see what you're saying, but you're missing out on thousands and thousands of bands. :)

We're all missing out on thousands and thousands of bands...there's something like 65000 bands on metal archives or something? Hell even if you listen to 1000 of them that's pretty hardcore. I find it (imho) retarded if someone likes every metal band they hear. I actually dislike most of the metal bands I hear. Most people aren't talented musicians. It doesn't seem natural to me that someone would like something just because it is metal.

But yeah I just don't listen to death metal at all because of the vocals. It's just me...that's just the way I am.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
Man, you should really try to get used to dirty vocals. If you ditch the "It's all just noise" attitude you'll find all sorts of new bands to listen to. For some people it's an acquired taste, so there may just be hope for you yet.

Oh, and I personally find your statement that they "ruin" their music rather insulting as I am myself a death metal vocalist.

There are some death metal bands that are good at playing their instruments but the growling vocals ruins that sound because it is a constant annoying distraction. If they took out the vocalist you could appreciate the guitar riffs a hell of a lot more. I have nothing against the other members of death metal bands; they kick ass most of the time. It's just the singer that I can't tolerate.

Don't feel insullted by it; it's simply my opinion. You have your opinions, so you can go do what you do and have a blast. But I won't listen to your band if you're in it.

KingVold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:59 am 

Atheist_Hero wrote:
Anything Electric Wizard has ever produced..

Why?

I love the vocal on Dopethrone, and the rest of there albums are great too...

AppleQueso wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
I refuse to listen to a genre using an onamatapoeiac descriptor.

Motion to change "Death Metal" to "EEURRRGHHH"

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:09 am 

I'm probably going to get hurt for this, but I fucking despise Tom Araya's vocals on just about every album Slayer has ever released. From Show No Mercy to whatever the hell they are working on right now. Whoever did the vocals for Pantera was also horrible. The most uninspired singing ever.

I would be a much bigger fan of Slayer if Tom Araya just played bass.

I'll listen to clean, death growls, and screams, but I cannot stand the yelling that Araya and Pantera do.

Deucalion
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:13 am 

FragKrag wrote:
I'm probably going to get hurt for this

There are quite a few people that agree, though. I personally don't mind Slayer's vocals, though.

agentsteel666

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:32 am 

FragKrag wrote:
I'm probably going to get hurt for this, but I fucking despise Tom Araya's vocals on just about every album Slayer has ever released. From Show No Mercy to whatever the hell they are working on right now. Whoever did the vocals for Pantera was also horrible. The most uninspired singing ever.

I'll listen to clean, death growls, and screams, but I cannot stand the yelling that Araya and Pantera do.

Phil Anselmo is an amazing vocalist. He can sing harsh but still carry a melody. That's why Pantera rules.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:47 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
FragKrag wrote:

Phil Anselmo is an amazing vocalist. He can sing harsh but still carry a melody. That's why Pantera rules.

Phil good, Pantera bad. Well, good when he's not doing that tuff guy bullshit.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:53 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:
FragKrag wrote:

Man, if you spent more time in the FFA you could be the new MegaHassan!

EDIT: By the way, it's very easy to say "Don't be offended, it's my opinion" but that doesn't make your opinion any less offensive. It's like tacking "No offense" to a statement and expecting it to somehow be more reasonable.
"No offense, but you suck and you ruin your band's music."
"No offense, but you're a sack of shit and your mother's a whore."

Avaddons_blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:22 am 

ahr888 wrote:
All of heavy metal.

:ugh:

FragKrag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:25 am 

I guess you guys see more in that guy than me. I always saw Dimebag as the one who made Pantera decent. o_o

agentsteel666

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:42 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:
FragKrag wrote:

Man, if you spent more time in the FFA you could be the new MegaHassan!

EDIT: By the way, it's very easy to say "Don't be offended, it's my opinion" but that doesn't make your opinion any less offensive. It's like tacking "No offense" to a statement and expecting it to somehow be more reasonable.
"No offense, but you suck and you ruin your band's music."
"No offense, but you're a sack of shit and your mother's a whore."

What I'm saying is that if you like what you do and it makes you happy then you shouldn't let my words get to you and make you feel bad. Unfortunately there's no nice way of me saying my opinion...so I don't know.

By the way who is MegaHassan and what did you mean with that comment?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:43 am 

Perhaps not say it at all.

Trust me, you would have got a lot better treatment here if you hadn't said that.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:44 am 

I think Satyr butchers newer-era Satyricon with his crappy vox. I agree with some of these as well, like Glen Benton is an idiot, but that's pretty much common knowledge.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:02 am 

NickIsGuitarded wrote:
Windwaker wrote:

I agree entirely.

Have you guys heard of Non-Human Level? It's thrash with much harsher vocals, edging closer to the death metal realm, that you may enjoy. Give them a go.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:09 am 

NickIsGuitarded wrote:
Windwaker wrote:

I agree entirely.

Get bent.

This thread has a lot of stupidity in it. Not even stupidity that is backed up and justified by a reasonable argument - just total asinine, ignorant, one-liners.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:12 am 

FragKrag wrote:
I fucking despise Tom Araya's vocals on just about every album Slayer has ever released.

Same here. I wouldn't despise his vocals that much if he had sung for some other band, but unfortunately it's fucking Slayer.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:12 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
NickIsGuitarded wrote:
Windwaker wrote:

I agree entirely.

Get bent.

This thread has a lot of stupidity in it. Not even stupidity that is backed up and justified by a reasonable argument - just total asinine, ignorant, one-liners.

Well, it is on this board. [/total asinine, ignorant, one-liner]

To contribute, I think a lot of brutal death and death/grind bands ruin what could have been a somewhat-decent sound with their ultra-guttural sub-sonic throat rattling, which I refer to fondly as Toilet Vocals. Wormed comes to mind.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next