Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:45 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
haha, weird .. are we listening to the same Manilla Road? He has a pretty deep voice and sounds quite mighty to me, except on "Open the Gates" when his cold made some of the delivery weak.

"Necropolis" is a prime example of him being a huge wuss vocally, and don't get me started on "Feeling Free Again."

Tronic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:47 pm 

Death - Pierce Me by Silencer should also be mentioned. The album is good though it isn't spectacular. The vocals are some of the worst and most cringe inducing screams ever recorded.

Almost anything by Burzum. Some of the if not THE best black metal of all time - the only flaw that I find in his music are the ass-raped vocals. Definately would have benefited from a different vocal style. I have to say though that a different vocalist would not have worked out considering how personal the music is to Varg.

cfvk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:59 pm 

as everyone says about silencer, he sounds like crying yoda. i actually think it's more disturbing than bad, of course i might be in a minority b/c it's definitely not easy to 'like'.

___Funeral__Fuck___
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:02 pm 

I can't possibly imagine M.R without Shelton , his weird vocals perfectly suit the music and are the prime reason I like the band

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:10 pm 

Horned_Owl_Holocaust wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
haha, weird .. are we listening to the same Manilla Road? He has a pretty deep voice and sounds quite mighty to me, except on "Open the Gates" when his cold made some of the delivery weak.

"Necropolis" is a prime example of him being a huge wuss vocally, and don't get me started on "Feeling Free Again."

Is that the only album you've heard by them?

Nausea_jps
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:24 pm 

Say what you guys will about the Silencer vocals, but they can be pretty intense at time. I know its not a good black metal vocal, but for the music, it gives it it's atmosphere.

Nausea_jps
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:26 pm 

Say what you guys will about the Silencer vocals, but they can be pretty intense at times. I know its not good for black metal vocals, but as for the music, it gives it it's atmosphere.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:46 pm 

Dude Necropolis is a freakin' sweet song.

MaliciousAwesome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:17 pm 

Demilich. First band that came to my mind when I saw this thread. I mean, the riffs and everything are awesome. But when I hear that guy open his mouth up and burp vocals.. I just cannot listen to it.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:23 pm 

I'd say Limb From Limb (Aus) and Wormed fit this scenario. Both have some cool music, particularly the former, but they're just ruined by vomit-gurgle vocals. It's too bad.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:29 pm 

From the songs I've heard posted on their MySpace, Psycroptic's music is decent. Their vocals, however, are what's been preventing me from fully checking them out. They range from low growls (which are sub par compared to other tech. death vocalists) to really awful deathcore-ish shrieking/shouting. Why their vocalist hasn't been replaced yet is beyond me.

Last edited by ~Guest 62838 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:30 pm 

Viral wrote:
From what I've heard from the songs posted on their MySpace, Psycroptic's music is decent. Their vocals, however, are what's been preventing me from fully checking them out. They range from low growls (which is sub par) to really awful deathcore-ish shrieking/shouting. Why their vocalist hasn't been replaced yet is beyond me.

He was replaced on the latest album, unless you're talking about that album, in which case he's new, and the other 3 albums have a different vocalist.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:38 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
He was replaced on the latest album, unless you're talking about that album, in which case he's new, and the other 3 albums have a different vocalist.

Well, I haven't heard any songs from any album prior to Symbols of Failure so I wouldn't know what the vocals on those releases sound like, but I would assume they're similar...in which case I wouldn't be too keen on checking said albums out. They either need to have their vocalist take on a more traditional death metal vocal style or get a vocalist who can.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:45 pm 

In that case, you'd probably like Ob(Servant).

ZarathustraHead wrote:

cfvk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:53 pm 

i honestly haven't listened to psycroptic since scepter of the ancients..i really liked that vocalist.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:05 pm 

diabolikon wrote:
Well, in any time Vortex from Dimmu Borgir sings, it makes me cringe, though I do rather like Dimmu Borgir.

Vortex is the only thing about Dimmu Borgir that doesn't blow ass. He needs a new band.

Empyreal wrote:
Weird; Manilla Road's vocals are a huge part of why the band is so cool. Nobody else sounds like Shelton. He is also one of those guys who improved vocally as the band aged, with some of his finest performances being on the last three albums. He has this unbeatable tone and some killer charisma to his voice that just makes him great.

I've always liked "weird" vocals though.

To me, a proper US power metal vocalist should sound like his nuts are caught in a hydraulic press. See: Ray Alder and John Leone. Well, "blue collar" power metal anyway. Bands like Queensryche obviously need a different approach.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Last edited by Woolie_Wool on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:10 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
diabolikon wrote:
Well, in any time Vortex from Dimmu Borgir sings, it makes me cringe, though I do rather like Dimmu Borgir.

Vortex is the only thing about Dimmu Borgir that doesn't blow ass. He needs a new band.

Or just get around to releasing new Lamented Souls material.
Death metal is eternal.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:23 pm 

*Pfft* Electric Wizard has bad vocals? Clearly none of you have ever heard of The Wizar'd.

Fantastic doom metal, HORRIBLE FUCKING VOCALS.
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:30 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:

Empyreal wrote:
Weird; Manilla Road's vocals are a huge part of why the band is so cool. Nobody else sounds like Shelton. He is also one of those guys who improved vocally as the band aged, with some of his finest performances being on the last three albums. He has this unbeatable tone and some killer charisma to his voice that just makes him great.

I've always liked "weird" vocals though.

To me, a proper US power metal vocalist should sound like his nuts are caught in a hydraulic press. See: Ray Alder and John Leone. Well, "blue collar" power metal anyway. Bands like Queensryche obviously need a different approach.

I don't think Manilla Road are a proper anything.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:01 pm 

Mark Shelton does sound pretty wussy on Necropolis, but to me it's part of his charm. Sometimes he sounds like he's just barely humming the vocal lines, it's kind of odd. I like him overall though.

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:22 pm 

Bass_Hero_90 wrote:
Death Magnetic - Metallica.
I'm always going to support Metallica, but someone needs to snap james back into the eighties, no matter how bad the hair was :brick:
im glad that lars got his drums sounding back to the old sound tho
Im pretty sure im not the only one that thinks that.

agree, the album is not that shitty but james vocals ruin everything...

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:23 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
In that case, you'd probably like Ob(Servant).

I've heard some songs and didn't like them. The band really isn't my cup of tea. I'll stick to Origin for my technical death metal fix, thanks. :D

Noobbot
Mors_Gloria + Thesaurus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:32 pm 

eViLbOrIs wrote:
It's obvious, but...

And Then You'll Beg, and Whisper Supremacy.

His vocals have begun to grow on me. Granted, he's not the brilliant vocalist that Lord Worm is, but he's not McGachy (or however the fuck that new retard's name is spelled). The vocalist on Whisper Supremacy is infinitely more intelligible than Lord Worm, and yet he is worse, because he seems so mediocre, so typical, and yet I've taken a little bit of a liking to it. Probably because I prefer the vocalists like Chalky, Lord Worm, and Lemay, and the bands which field them, as opposed to the run-of-the-mill rot. Peculiar.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:33 pm 

For a long time I had this problem with Cirith Ungol but now I love the vocals 100%.

awm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:35 pm 

For a long time I had this problem with Cirith Ungol but now I love the vocals 100%.

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:39 pm 

Warmen's Beyond Abilities. I love the instrumentals, but the vocals just turn me off, and even make me laugh sometimes.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:40 pm 

Warmen's Beyond Abilities. I love the instrumentals, but the vocals just turn me off, and even make me laugh sometimes.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

Torwilligous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:47 pm 

Manilla Road, bad vocals? Demilich?! What is this sacrilege!?! Shame upon you all, you metal pariahs. I curse your very existence. :P Though to be fair, I do prize doing something interesting and different over pure technique, so I *may* be somewhat biased...

The only vocals I can't put up with are ones that are badly out of tune, and you don't find that on many metal albums. Though I do admit, Sean Killian can get rather irritating, and strangely enough I'm not as big a fan of King Diamond as most. Those piercing highs have been known to give me a literal headache... *dodges hail of garbage*

Fetal_Impaler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:06 pm 

Dream Theater. I haven't heard a whole lot of their material, and I can take the high piched vocals on some songs, but not when it sounds like he is trying to sound like a pussy, it just makes me cringe, especially when the music is really good

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:42 am 

diabolikon wrote:

I have no idea why this would be.. Vortex has a fantastic voice.

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

tallman2555
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:55 am 

The Black Dahlia Murder.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:11 am 

tallman2555 wrote:
The Black Dahlia Murder.

Are you referring to a particular album, or as a whole? Because I thought he started out pretty good and has become unbearable. Not to mention the thread is Good albums with terrible vocals.

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:21 am 

The blood tsunami album, musically its damn good, but I think the vocalist sounds like an even worse Angela Gossow. Merciless Death's Evil in the Night also has some of the most bland vocals I've ever heard.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:00 am 

I think black and death metal vocalists ruin the music with their voices.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:07 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:

Yeah I'm sure Transilvanian Hunger would sound a hell of a lot better with Bruce Dickinson singing huh...?

Cradle of Filth are a band who should execute their singer. Unforunately this won't happen since that talentless fag known as Dani basically IS Cradle Of Filth. The music, especially on the first few albums, is incredibly good and beautiful yet ruined by that waste of a human voice. I just wish someone could make instrumental versions of the albums.

As for melodic death metal, I find that most vocalists do a good job and fit with the music very well. The only real exception to this was Johan Liiva on the first three Arch Enemy albums but at least he was replaced by the more competent Angela Gassow. As for In Flames, Anders' vocals might not be the best but he's still pretty damn good if we ignore stuff like The Chosen Pessimist. The absolute top in melodic death metal, however, is Mikael Stanne and everything he's done with Dark Tranquillity.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:08 am 

I forgot to mention Dimmu Borgir. They should use Vortex more often (not too much though) because his skills are indeed worth hearing. As for Shagrath, sure he's not the best in the world but at least he's doing far better than Dani Filth.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:13 am 

agentsteel666 wrote:

You've just dissed a fuckload of bands. :wtf:

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:13 am 

MaDTransilvanian wrote:
agentsteel666 wrote:

Yeah I'm sure Transilvanian Hunger would sound a hell of a lot better with Bruce Dickinson singing huh...?

Now THAT would be interesting!
we sail across the sea!

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:26 am 

Death Metal sounds even better with death growls. Obituary and (early) Entombed had vocals that not only blended with the music, but added to the music as well.

I do feel that some death metal vocals are badly done and ruin the music. Take Hypocrisy's Osculum Obscenum for example. A great death metal album but at times the vocals seem more suited for an NYDM band rather than a Swedeath band.

I actually think that these type of vocals would have never become commonplace in the genres they are usually associated with if they didn't add to the music or blend in perfectly. It's one thing if you can't stand growls or screams, but it's another if you claim that the music is ruined. Just my opinion :)

~Guest 93445
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:42 am 

Blasphereion - rest in peace (91 0smose)

bloody awful vox!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next