Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:33 pm 

Is it just me, or does the underground metal community have a paralyzing fear of becomign mainstream?
Everytime a tr00(ish) metal band becomes even slightly famous, people find ridiculous excuses to hate them. I have seen this happen so many times: Amon Amarth, Dethklok, Dimmu Borgir, 3 inches of Blood, Dragonforce, Cradle of Filth, Pantera...
The list goes on and on.
SHouldnt we be rejoicing and supporting these bands? Shouldnt we help them oen the road to introducing metal to the world? Why does the metal community have such a weird phobia?

Note: Some of these bands have very logical reasons to hate (Such as dragonforce). Im merely pointing out a pattern.

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:47 pm 

goatmanejy wrote:
SHouldnt we be rejoicing and supporting these bands? Shouldnt we help them oen the road to introducing metal to the world?

I see no reason for doing that.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:57 pm 

You pointed Amon Amarth, that's something I find weird too. I mean usually people bitch when a band take a new direction, say they don't stay true to their roots and now when we have a band who don't change much musically and gain popularity, people say their dubbing down their sound to appeal to a wider audience. Nobody say anything against Bolt Thrower for being really consistent and it's probably because they are not the death metal band of the hour, they're still a little "underground".

And yeah there's some elitists who take out their arms each time a band becomes more accesible. Personally, I'm not against a band changing their sound, on the contrary I prefer it that way (just hoping their new direction is good). I listen to bands more accesible than others so it doesn't bother me much when a band becomes more popular to a certain point. It makes me cringe when some young "metalheads" think the best bands in the world are children of bodom, in flames, dimmu borgir and that they are the most heavy and brutal band too, that they like them so much, they won't feel the need to discover countless other bands who are so much better than them.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:03 pm 

goatmanejy wrote:
Is it just me, or does the underground metal community have a paralyzing fear of becomign mainstream?
Everytime a tr00(ish) metal band becomes even slightly famous, people find ridiculous excuses to hate them. I have seen this happen so many times: Amon Amarth, Dethklok, Dimmu Borgir, 3 inches of Blood, Dragonforce, Cradle of Filth, Pantera...
The list goes on and on.
SHouldnt we be rejoicing and supporting these bands? Shouldnt we help them oen the road to introducing metal to the world? Why does the metal community have such a weird phobia?

Note: Some of these bands have very logical reasons to hate (Such as dragonforce). Im merely pointing out a pattern.

No, because the mainstream as it is represents the status quo. It represents apathy and willful ignorance. It embraces logical inconsistency. The reason metal is cool is because it rejects these values. The aesthetic would be meaningless if the ideas behind it embraced bourgeois values. Want proof? Look at most Christian metal. And then look at music with a metallic aesthetic that HAS been accepted by the mainstream: Slipknot, Korn, Disturbed...etc.

In a way, Kurt Cobain's suicide is analogous to what happens when a "real" band becomes embraced by the music industry.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:06 pm 

When the fuck was Dethklok underground?

paradigm333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:11 pm 

The reason that I find metal satisfying is that it pushes the boundaries of music. The artists can reach further, go beyond, do things because they like, not just to satisfy the masses and sell records. While I would not be against a band that maintained my standards of "credibility" as musicians gaining popularity in a mainstream sense, I doubt that would happen on a large scale for what I look for in metal. I look for something deeper in the sound, and a lot of non-metal fans do not take the time to look into it.

Evil_Johnny_666
Reigning king of the night

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:13 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
When the fuck was Dethklok underground?

Well when they weren't playing in Metalocalypse...

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:28 pm 

I think a lot of metalheads want their bands to stay underground. I want my favorite bands to hit the number one spots on the charts (although that's never gonna happen) but I want them to stay true to their style and influence. I hate bands that sell out just to get more fans. This is mostly how bands become mainstream. They soften their music to a more radio-friendly variant thus get more publicity and fans. That's a real bullshit move. I think that's why so many metalheads don't want their bands to become mainstream.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:32 pm 

goatmanejy wrote:
tr00

I think the rest of his post supports the theory that the number in this word represent the IQ of one who uses it.

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:36 pm 

Someone is doing his best to confirm his title.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.