Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:13 pm 

I've not heard anyone speak of this cryptic duo from Spain before, which I find quiet astounding considering they create some of bleakest, most grim and raw Black Metal I've ever heard. The split with Spectre is a masterpiece in truly dark, ice cold music and deserves to be lauded, not ignored. I just got the split with Gheestenland, which is let down a little by Gheestenlands rather typical approach, but the Grim Funeral stuff is pure class again. I just wish they would do a full length. So lets here your thoughts on the mighty Grim Funeral, if they have any fans out there.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:51 am 

Nobody?
Wow, I'm shocked.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:58 am 

The name sort of puts me off, to be honest. It sounds cliche enough to be parody.

Illyria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:52 am 

I downloaded the Gheestenland split, and it's pretty grim. Funereal too.

So far so good, but I'm gonna listen some more to it, I think this might require a few listens before it really clicks.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:11 am 

I agree that the name is cliched, but don't let the that put you off. Look at Septic Flesh - one would be hard pressed to think of a more incongruous name for that bands style. It's a common affliction among metal bands unfortunately. A barrier which probably results in some bands not getting the recognition their music deserves.

Having said that, a brief search on the web has revealed very limited information on this band. I have found this sample of their work:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz4zyJOew40 (from the Gheestenland split) which is basically an outro. Whilst different from their songs, it does display the mood they create very well. indeed.

THR666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:17 pm 

No intention to hijack this thread, but the debut full-lengther from Grim Funeral will be out within this or the next week.
Keep an eye at either http://thr666.horde.se/ or http://www.grim-funeral.com/ for more information and samples.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:54 pm 

THR666 wrote:
No intention to hijack this thread, but the debut full-lengther from Grim Funeral will be out within this or the next week.
Keep an eye at either http://thr666.horde.se/ or http://www.grim-funeral.com/ for more information and samples.

You are not hijacking the thread at all.

This is fantastic news. I struggled to find the sample on the Grim Funeral site, but am listening to it now and it is excellent. I hope this is the fastest the album gets though, as it's the slow stuff they do which really strikes a chord with me.

I can't find it on the Total Holocaust page, but I assume it's being released by you? Does it have any tracks from the splits or are they all new? I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

THR666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:51 pm 

It will be all new material, so no materials from the previous splits.
I should have the cds here by the end of this week or early next week.
So keep an eye at my site for more information and a new sample.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:58 am 

Excellent!

THR666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:43 am 

The cds arrived today. Expect the album to be on sale on my site in a day from now. Haven't seen the result yet, but I hope it will turn out as expected.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.