Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:20 am 

if so, what are you favorite songs/albums???

or what are some of your favorite LLN bands?

FOAD

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:22 am 

I'm a huge Mutiilation fan but if you dont elaborate more this topic is probably going to be locked. Very 'listy' kind of thread.

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:31 am 

Mutiilation rules. I actually like their last two albums best.

BurningASinner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:13 pm 

Remains... is a great album, i've always liked it. Huge influence on SDBM too. Haven't heard much of the newer stuff - is it worth checking out?

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:54 pm 

I think the newer releases are worth checking out, but they are nowhere near as good as the first two full lengths. The best of the newer stuff is probably Black Millenium. Sorrow Galaxies was good too.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Life_Sucks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:48 pm 

The newer stuff is more depressive/doom-ish and less raw.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:14 pm 

I greatly admire Vampires of Black Imperial Blood, but I think the album kind of drags a little bit after that incredible opening track. So for the best Mutiilation album, I'd have to go with Remains for its consistent awesomeness, not to mention the sick opening track.

SG sounded pretty promising, I hope they can continue to improve with albums to come.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:19 pm 

I like Vampires of Black Imperial Blood okay, but haven't really checked anything else out. A lot of their stuff is difficult to come by.

Tystvar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:58 pm 

Vampires of Black Imperial Blood is a masterpeice of an album, and quickly became a classic to me. Unfuckwithable. I don't know what it is, but I've always found Remains... to drag a bit, and I haven't been able to fully get into it yet.

I've yet to check out the new stuff yet, but I figure I'll start with Sorrow Galaxies.

Messiah_X
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:06 pm 

Mutiilation is one of my favorite bands, and probably my favorite black metal band. Vampires and Remains are probably my favorites, especially Vampires. Black Millenium contains some Mutiilation classics like Eggs of Melancholy, New False Prophet, and No Mercy for Humans, however much of the original darkness from the early work is lost.

As far as other LLN projects, I'm a fan of the big 4: Mutiilation, Vlad Tepes, Belketre, and Torgeist. I also like Black Murder, Seviss, and Vermeth. I never really got into the ambient projects

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:05 pm 

Mutiilation is ok and so is Vlad Tepes but the problem I have with this whole LLN thing is that they tried to reinvent the wheel with black metal. No matter how "kvlt" and exclusive this scene tried to be with their releases, they can't undo the history and pioneering that the Norwegians perfected back from 1987-1994 to say nothing of the first wavers as well. Don't want to forget them of course. Hail the Inner Circle!

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:42 pm 

I play Mutiilation on my playlist but they are not among my favorites..

HeavyMetalSteve
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:49 pm 

Mutiilation is one of my favorite black metal bands. When I first heard Vampires and Remains, I liked Remains more but Vampires grew on me. The raw production and songwriting of the first two albums give a very depressing feeling while not being suicidal bm. The newer stuff is definitly worth checking out, though it is not as raw and as someone has stated it does have a slight doom influence.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:52 pm 

Vampires of Black Imperial Blood is my favorite, as well as the old demos.

The cover of "Black Millenium (Grimly Reborn)" is kinda hilarious with the wheelchair and stuff. What's that supposed to mean, anyway? That the guy is some sort of quadriplegic catatonic cerebral palsy type dude?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

JudasCradle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:15 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
The cover of "Black Millenium (Grimly Reborn)" is kinda hilarious with the wheelchair and stuff. What's that supposed to mean, anyway? That the guy is some sort of quadriplegic catatonic cerebral palsy type dude?
Maybe he's too strung out to walk, haha. That cover is great.

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:36 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
Vampires of Black Imperial Blood is my favorite, as well as the old demos.

err...maybe he's too KVLT to walk....

joking ofcourse.
its a cool album, i got a Grimly Reborn shirt off ebay afew weeks back, pretty bad ass

FOAD

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:38 am 

Just gave Remains.... a listen for the first time and thought it was very good. Pretty much what I expected coming from an LLN band; raw and hateful. And Suffer the Gestalt is a fantastic opener, extremely unsettling.

satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:01 pm 

Vampires of Black Imperial blood is supreme album which stomps almost all the 80s' / '90s norwegian bastards to the ground. Still, "cult"-status and other shit pisses me off, cant get the LP version of that album 'cos i'm not a millioneer. Thats why i have to listen a fucking Bootleg cd, which gots LPs mix of drums, and it sound a lot better with better tracklisting.

Remains is a kind of boring, it doesnt feel like an album at all, just a demo compilation or something. From the newer albums, i like most Majestas Leprosus, the guitar sound is so fucked-up that it actually sounds very good. Also Destroy Your Life For Satan demo is killer.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:55 am 

Huge fan of them (or should I say him?). When I first listened to "Remains..." I was pretty much disgusted with the production and turned it off. But like with most black metal when you're new to the genre, the classics aren't easy to get into and start to stand out after repeated listens. Possessed and Immortal stood out to me most and is still one of my favorites to this day. Just wish I could figure out how to play that damn main riff.

carnalsadistprod
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:08 am 

I still say Hail Sathanas...We Are The Black Legion was one of the better albums, eps, etc...Don't get me wrong, I'm always curious to see what the cocaine cowboy is up to these days, but the music is pretty sub par.

GoldenBull
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:06 am 

I have always been put off by the incredibly annoying, self pitying whining that seems to be the true core of Mutiilation. Willy displays the angst and corresponding lack of articulation that I would expect from a 13 year old.
After years upon years of trying my hardest to find something good about this band I have given up forever.
Mutiilation for me will remain a band that I will never appreciate.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:08 pm 

I love Mutiilation, as well as Vlad Tepes and Belketre. Their earlier albums are more raw than the newer ones and ultimately better.

RickJames
Future Drone Librarian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:12 pm 

marktheviktor wrote:
Mutiilation is ok and so is Vlad Tepes but the problem I have with this whole LLN thing is that they tried to reinvent the wheel with black metal. No matter how "kvlt" and exclusive this scene tried to be with their releases, they can't undo the history and pioneering that the Norwegians perfected back from 1987-1994 to say nothing of the first wavers as well. Don't want to forget them of course. Hail the Inner Circle!

That's where I differ. The Norwegians really didn't perfect black metal; they willed up to the next level. The French really took necro to a scatological low, plus both bands actually did have their own reinvention, so to speak. Thanks to Vlad Tepes, one can enjoy many hails to old school bm with more of an NWOBHM glare, while providing their own epic, melodic, and proficient musicianship.

Mutiilation flings volcanic ash of malefic (hint) intent, when it comes to Willy. There's not a lot of pain in black metal I hear nowadays. It's the pain - grotesque, sloppy, atonal riffs and the yelps that if, in the wrong state of mind, really pushes the emotional buttons.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:32 pm 

Am I the only one who thinks Majestas Leprosus is rawer than any of the previous full lengths? Listen to that guitar. It's much more raw than Vampires or Remains.

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:43 pm 

RickJames wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

That's where I differ. The Norwegians really didn't perfect black metal; they willed up to the next level. The French really took necro to a scatological low, plus both bands actually did have their own reinvention, so to speak. Thanks to Vlad Tepes, one can enjoy many hails to old school bm with more of an NWOBHM glare, while providing their own epic, melodic, and proficient musicianshi

Mutiilation flings volcanic ash of malefic (hint) intent, when it comes to Willy. There's not a lot of pain in black metal I hear nowadays. It's the pain - grotesque, sloppy, atonal riffs and the yelps that if, in the wrong state of mind, really pushes the emotional buttons.

The LLN bands abandoned the thrash-ccentric elements too much which was what made what the Norwegians did so great.

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:12 am 

I like Remains and surprisingly Sorrow Galaxies. I am not a big LLN fan but I always had a soft spot for Mutiilation.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:24 am 

marktheviktor wrote:
The LLN bands abandoned the thrash-ccentric elements too much which was what made what the Norwegians did so great.

What? First of all, I don't even see that much of a difference in thrashiness between LLN bands and the Norwegian bands, and more importantly, the Norwegian bands weren't good because of the thrash elements (unless you only like stuff like Deathcrush and A Blaze in the Northern Sky).

cinedracusio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:10 am 

Mutiilation demos like Rites Through The Twilight Of Hell, Satanist Styrken, Promo '95 are amongst the finest raw black demos one could get hold of. The three best full-lengths, in my opinion, are Remains..., Vampires..., and Majestas Leprosus. The rest of the full-lengths didn't have an impact so high on me.

freezingeclipse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:55 pm 

I prefer Vampires of Black Imperial Blood to Remains... because it is more consistent. However, Possessed and Immortal is my favorite Mutiilation song because of the riffage.

In any case I find Vlad Tepes to be more interesting and their split with Belketre should be checked out by all fans of the aforementioned Mutiilation albums!

I feel Mutiilation, like countless others, are way more popular because of their kvlt and rare status rather than from their musicianship.

raveneyeslikemirrors
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:16 pm 

Count_Grazadh wrote:

Are they any way assocaited with extreme right-wing beliefs?

I personally am curious over some of the LLN stuff, but I'm unsure to their political stance.

RickJames
Future Drone Librarian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:42 pm 

Kruel wrote:
marktheviktor wrote:

What? First of all, I don't even see that much of a difference in thrashiness between LLN bands and the Norwegian bands, and more importantly, the Norwegian bands weren't good because of the thrash elements (unless you only like stuff like Deathcrush and A Blaze in the Northern Sky).

Definitely true. Hell, if you want to talk real thrashiness in black metal, you might as well stick to the mid 80s Brazilians anyhow. I really don't agree that Norway has a very good track record; what really gets it is the media drama, that's why everyone is attracted.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:49 pm 

I've been a huge Mutiilation fan for a few years now. I can honestly say there has been many times that I would even go as so far as to say that I like them above all other BM bands. I enjoy every release I have ever heard from them but my favorite album is a toss up between their first 2. Incredible band.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:36 pm 

raveneyeslikemirrors wrote:
Count_Grazadh wrote:

I personally am curious over some of the LLN stuff, but I'm unsure to their political stance.

Who gives a fuck what their politics are? Will that make you not listen to them? In any event, read the booklet to March to the Black Holocaust (VT split with Belketre). They clearly state that Nazism (which is what I assume you mean) should not be a part of black metal. Willy is the same way. From what I remember, his myspace page doesn't list any NS bands under his music list.

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:27 pm 

DaBuddha wrote:
Count_Grazadh wrote:

Who gives a fuck what their politics are? Will that make you not listen to them? In any event, read the booklet to March to the Black Holocaust (VT split with Belketre). They clearly state that Nazism (which is what I assume you mean) should not be a part of black metal. Willy is the same way. From what I remember, his myspace page doesn't list any NS bands under his music list.

what an idiot, probably would make him feel extremely cool to listen to an nsbm band, plus you can also see under my posts that im against nsbm. so that should answer your question

FOAD

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 am 

I've never been able to find any [reasonably] priced albums, but based on about 10 tracks downloaded from various releases, Mutiilation is definitely a solid band.

If anyone knows a good place to pick some of their/his albums for a non-ridiculous price, let me know...

Count_Grazadh
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:50 am 

Lyrici17 wrote:
I've never been able to find any [reasonably] priced albums, but based on about 10 tracks downloaded from various releases, Mutiilation is definitely a solid band.

If anyone knows a good place to pick some of their/his albums for a non-ridiculous price, let me know...

yeah i hear you, you dont really come across their albums very much, but when you do (even if its not the original pressing) which 90% of the time its not, you should still pick up it when you see it, but be reasonable with the price

FOAD

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:16 pm 

DaBuddha wrote:
I think the newer releases are worth checking out, but they are nowhere near as good as the first two full lengths. The best of the newer stuff is probably Black Millenium. Sorrow Galaxies was good too.

More or less agreed, although I think Meynach writes more interesting music now than ever before .. the execution though has been a little bit lacking. Actually, I still need to check out "Sorrow Galaxies", and I really want to because they're a real band again instead of Meynach simply plugging into his PC and using some lousy clickety electronic drums that he puts no effort into whatsoever.

But really, it's all about those incredibly sick guitar riffss that make you feel like utter shit, and the incredibly caustic vocals and lyrics.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

raveneyeslikemirrors
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:21 pm 

DaBuddha wrote:
Count_Grazadh wrote:

You understand that you just gave justification to all the Christian black metal fans and artists out there.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:28 pm 

I also want to add that Mutiilation to me seems like one of the few bands where you can really 'feel' the hatred and depression in the music. I mean, sure, theres alot of stuff out there thats good and all but of all BM I've listened to I've always felt strongly that Mutiilation were one of the very bests at conveying those emotions. His music has always come across as being very believable and touching to me during times of depression and so forth.

I also enjoy the fact that seemingly every album he puts out will typically have atleast one song on it that is probably just as strong as anything hes ever wrote. Theres always a few real gems on each album, imo.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:21 pm 

DaBuddha wrote:
Count_Grazadh wrote:

You understand that you just gave justification to all the Christian black metal fans and artists out there.

How?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next