Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:26 am 

Primemattimus wrote:
I have two bands to add to this topic: Spastic Ink and Behold the Arctopus. Craziest shit I've ever heard. Watchtower also if you want an early one.

Christ, does BtA even play in a set meter? I bought Nano Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning at the used CD store a while ago, and my brain almost entirely melted upon listening. Complete and utter chaos at almost every moment.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:51 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Primemattimus wrote:
I have two bands to add to this topic: Spastic Ink and Behold the Arctopus. Craziest shit I've ever heard. Watchtower also if you want an early one.

Christ, does BtA even play in a set meter? I bought Nano Nucleonic Cyborg Summoning at the used CD store a while ago, and my brain almost entirely melted upon listening. Complete and utter chaos at almost every moment.

Isn't it wonderful!!!!!! :P

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:57 am 

Ribos wrote:
Rush's "Tom Sawyer" is pretty famous for being a radio hit in 7/8 time...
Yeah, Rush's stuff in general tends to jump time signatures a lot.

I'm also pretty sure that at times, Behold... The Arctopus doesn't even use time signatures. They certainly don't often play in 4/4, anyways.

Already mentioned them, guys.

(By the way, the members are really cool guys, even despite Colin's absurd hair.)

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:34 am 

steady666 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
Primemattimus wrote:

Isn't it wonderful!!!!!! :P

No, they're terrible. They don't understand the concept of playing in time.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:42 am 

No, they most certainly do understand the concept of playing in time. You think that if it was all improvised they'd hit each note perfectly in unison they way that they do?

Their timing is very complex.

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:17 am 

rexxz wrote:
No, they most certainly do understand the concept of playing in time. You think that if it was all improvised they'd hit each note perfectly in unison they way that they do?

Their timing is very complex.

Took the words straight out of my mouth. They pretty well live as well!

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:20 am 

It was hyperbole, but their time signatures come from rolling a d20. I think they're like Dream Theater, no idea how to use odd meters.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:25 am 

Have you ever seen their sheet music? It's very elaborate and not arbitrary at all like you claim.

Aeonblade
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:31 am 

How about we leave it at I think their music is a load of horseshit? Instead of trying to convince me there's something I don't get.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:33 am 

How about we don't and I can continue to discuss whatever I'd like regardless of anyone else thinking that I'm trying to "convince them" of anything.

Norrin_Radd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:55 am 

Spiral Architect wins for most Technical album of all time.

vondskapens_makt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:18 am 

Vehementer Nos, a French black metal band employs some odd time signatures. Probably one of the few black metal bands that do, though I'm not sure of many others that do.

The eye can outstare neither the sun, nor death... if I sought God it was in delirium and in the delight of temptation.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:29 am 

praey wrote:
Apparently Shape of Despair's first album uses a lot of 3/4 time.

It sure does, but that's hardly an uncommon time. You'll hear it a lot inn some "second-wave" black metal bands like early Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, etc, too.

Both Virus (Nor) albums have some pretty wild timings, especally the latest, "The Black Flux"

Edit: Mekong Delta's "The Music of Erich Zann", for sure. I think I finally have started to "get" this album. I was sitting with a bunch of friends and we were quite high .. I couldn't even converse because I suddenly became so fascinated with trying to follow what the band was playing and became delighted with its sheer intricacy for the first time. QUirkiest thrash band of all time? Probably!
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

WereHuman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 am 

Aeonblade wrote:
How about we leave it at I think their music is a load of horseshit? Instead of trying to convince me there's something I don't get.

rexxz wrote:
How about we don't and I can continue to discuss whatever I'd like regardless of anyone else thinking that I'm trying to "convince them" of anything.

That reminds me one of the "rules" of progmetal (maybe already known by you guys... remember I'm a newbie here)

Accuse anyone who disagrees with you of lacking musical intelligence and not being a true prog fan. :grin:

WarriorsDawn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:59 pm 

To be honest, I don't even recognize time signatures, so saying that a band is technical means less than nothing to me.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:45 am 

Deicide play mostly in 5/4 and sometimes in 6/4, if you'd call that weird, but it's not too weird...

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:48 am 

"mostly"?

WebOfPiss
Myopic Void

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:49 am 

It's not very weird either.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:50 am 

Well, he said that he thinks it's not very weird. I'm just wondering what the "mostly" part is all about. What, do they have one or two songs in those timings?

incarcerated_demon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:21 am 

WarriorsDawn wrote:
To be honest, I don't even recognize time signatures, so saying that a band is technical means less than nothing to me.

I confess that I have this problem too... :P

agentsteel666 wrote:
Say they were overlapping a 4/4 drums pattern with a 5/4 guitar pattern:

The drums would have to play 5 4/4 measures before it lines back up with the start of the 5/4 guitar riff. The guitarist would only have to play 4 5/4 measures.

So basically you have to find the lowest common denominator of the # of drum beats (in this case 4) and the number of guitar beats (5), which is 20. So it would take them 20 beats to complete a full phrase, instead of the usual 16.

If it were 4/4 drum pattern with a 7/4 guitar pattern it would take them 28 beats to complete a full phrase.

I understand this.

ForNaught wrote:
The accents in each bar tend to be different too. You can hear the difference if somebody switches from 3/4 to 6/8. It goes from crotchet pulse with emphasis on the first beat only (this is your waltz time) to a quaver pulse with major accent on the first beat and minor accent on the fourth. If the "standard" model is applied, of course.

This totally went over my head.

Ribos wrote:
Rush's "Tom Sawyer" is pretty famous for being a radio hit in 7/8 time...

So is Pink Floyd's 'Money' - but I only know that from watching the 'Making of' documentary... :)

Khomaniac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:30 pm 

ForNaught wrote:
I suppose people are taking all the prog bands as given? Obviously bands like Symphony X, Dream Theater and so on and so forth choose their signatures using a dartboard, with things like 11/8 and 13/8 being relatively frequent, and 5/4 being close to commonplace. A pretty extreme example would be Derek Sherinian's Planet X (wouldn't have mentioned them, but surprisingly enough they are on the archives as metal) which really takes the aesthetic too far in my opinion. Most readily identifiable messed up signature is in the song 2116 which if you count along is indeed in 21/16.

I think Planet X may be on due to the side band rule since Derek was in Dream Theater.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:52 pm 

Khomaniac wrote:
ForNaught wrote:
I suppose people are taking all the prog bands as given? Obviously bands like Symphony X, Dream Theater and so on and so forth choose their signatures using a dartboard, with things like 11/8 and 13/8 being relatively frequent, and 5/4 being close to commonplace. A pretty extreme example would be Derek Sherinian's Planet X (wouldn't have mentioned them, but surprisingly enough they are on the archives as metal) which really takes the aesthetic too far in my opinion. Most readily identifiable messed up signature is in the song 2116 which if you count along is indeed in 21/16.

I think Planet X may be on due to the side band rule since Derek was in Dream Theater.

Yeah, that would make sense and was my first thought. They're labelled as metal, though- "Progressive Metal, Shred, fusion". Which I wouldn't agree with. Still haven't heard the newest one though.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2