Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:33 pm 

Dane did a LONG podcast chat with Jamie Jasta and said, among other things, he dug up a TGE-era Nevermore song ("obviously not written by Jeff Loomis") that he will use on his upcoming solo album. Must be a Steve Smyth creation then.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Dp-vzYpFAVk?t=20m15s[/youtube]

The two talked about a LOT. I never would have guessed Warrel to be a country fan. Or a Foreigner fan.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:18 pm 

sounds like he's clutching at straws. his first/only solo album is great, but if the new one's gonna be based around castoffs the omens are not good :/

TheWaltzer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:40 am 

I saw him live last year and in addition to playing Dead Heart in its entirety, they played a new song ("As Fast As The Others") and I remember it sounding pretty good, actually. I don't know who's helping him out with writing, though, I think Dane only writes lyrics and vocal lines.

But yes, although I've heard rumours that a new Sanctuary record is coming up, he sure seems to be digging in the past more than looking into the future, which is a tad disappointing.

LefterisK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:07 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:
I saw him live last year and in addition to playing Dead Heart in its entirety, they played a new song ("As Fast As The Others") and I remember it sounding pretty good, actually. I don't know who's helping him out with writing, though, I think Dane only writes lyrics and vocal lines.

Here's Dane's new solo song performed live. Sounds decent, but nothing he hasn't done previously.
Youtube: show

Youtube: show

Buried Dreamer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:49 am 

aloof wrote:
sounds like he's clutching at straws. his first/only solo album is great, but if the new one's gonna be based around castoffs the omens are not good :/

It's not the first time he recycles something. Nevermore made "A Future Uncertain" out of a demo music "World Unborn". The lyrics are the same, but the instrumental is all different. I'd guess his idea of a TGE "song" means only the lyrics, and not something with much thought about instrumentation? Maybe?

TheWaltzer wrote:
But yes, although I've heard rumours that a new Sanctuary record is coming up, he sure seems to be digging in the past more than looking into the future, which is a tad disappointing.

I think he is seriously disappointed with Loomis' departure. And I believe Nevermore was initially a sort of next-stage-Sanctuary. I recall reading an interview he gave at the time of the POE album about how Nevermore became what he expected to have achieved with Sanctuary some years before. I guess that after Nevermore split up he put all his hopes in a Sanctuary comeback, but it was not truly intentional. My point being: I think he had plans for Nevermore and Loomis absence fucked up his plans badly. Sanctuary shouldn't be more than a side project to have fun with his old mates, and it suddenly became his main project.

Oh, he said once that his second solo disc is supposed to be more of a heavy metal disc compared to the first one, which flirted with rock a bit.

Edit: Now I listened to the interview and he says the same thing. I am concerned with his promises that the thing will be "10x heavier". I think it is safer to ignore his remarks and expect the same thing to avoid being disappointed.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:08 pm 

Thing is, he had a lot of time to heal the rift with Loomis. Nevermore disintegrated in 2011 and Jeff didn't join Arch Enemy until 2015.

But yeah, I think he's a little lost without Jeff.

BTW, on the Nevermore boards he spilled the beans that he had arranged for a Nevermore reunion show at Prog Power but Angela Gossow, who manages Arch Enemy, would not let Jeff do it. Needless to say the reaction was very bad, so he told us all to keep it quiet and not cause Jeff problems.

I wonder what Jeff is thinking right now. Warrel said he's making a much better living in AE than with Nevermore, but he contributed NOTHING to the new album and a one-off Nevermore reunion was scuttled. Is it worth it?

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:21 pm 

More Nevermore could be good, if Warrell continues to "evolve". The beginnings of Nevermore was more than 20 years ago, he can't do the same thing again.

Loomis in Arch Enemy is such a waste!
Not that I particularly mind AE doing their thing, but what's the point of having Jeff Loomis there. Mike could be the only guitarist in the band and they wouldn't be any worse off.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:05 pm 

traxan wrote:
Warrel said he's making a much better living in AE than with Nevermore, but he contributed NOTHING to the new album and a one-off Nevermore reunion was scuttled. Is it worth it?

Wait, Jeff didn't write any music for the upcoming AE album (release date 9/2017)??? How do you know this? I have been anticipating the new album because Loomis is my favorite guitarist (Nevermore was my favorite band) and I assumed he would have writing contributions?

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 pm 

Jeff has said so.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/jeff-l ... emy-album/

Pitiless Wanderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:11 am 

ah man, I missed that. Just lost even more respect for Mike A.

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:22 pm 

The only Nevermore album I've heard is Dead Heart In A Dead World. I like it. If it's anything like that I will like the song/track.

Temple Of Blood
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:47 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
ah man, I missed that. Just lost even more respect for Mike A.

You mean jeff, right? To join a lame band just for the money that he can't even contribute songwriting to in order to try to turn them around?

Buried Dreamer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:56 am 

traxan wrote:

That's such a waste. But in the end of the day Arch Enemy is more of a business than a simple band, so to say. Amott is playing safe because one day Jeff leaves Arch Enemy and they won't be able to play the stuff he wrote. Which means he is just playing a glorified contractor of sorts.

Playing with Nevermore could be less profitable, but it really means he can play whatever the hell he wants.

Buried Dreamer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:58 am 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
The only Nevermore album I've heard is Dead Heart In A Dead World. I like it. If it's anything like that I will like the song/track.

Listen to Dreaming Neon Black and This Godless Endeavor. Good stuff. Oh, Politics of Ecstasy is nice too, but some people don't like it.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:14 pm 

POE was the most prog-ish of their albums. Funny thing was it featured Pat O'Brien, who was later fired and went to join Cannibal Corpse.

Reply to topic