Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:41 am 

Oflick wrote:
Kruel wrote:
UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Chaosmonger wrote:
Demilich - Nespithe
Gorguts - Obscura
Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium
Voivod - Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, Nothingface
Oxiplegatz - Worlds and Worlds, Sidereal Journey

None of those are avantgarde.

How would you define avantgarde?

Avant-Garde is essentially doing something and going beyond the limits of what is considered normal/traditional. I know thats the biggest generalisation ever, but it's hard to explain any genre without getting too detailed.

I guess depending on what people have been exposed to throughout most of their lives, their view on what is different won't be the same as someone who has been exposed to something unrelated.

I reject the concept of 'avant-garde metal' being a genre rather than a loose description of bands that are breaking so-called 'boundaries' (which is questionable in most of these cases anyway...Sigh does what, combine straight-ahead Venom-esque rock/metal with off-kilter elements of other genres?). 'Avantgarde' as a genre is an oxymoron.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:50 pm 

alliaphagist wrote:
Ribos wrote:
Kkleq Muzzil's M is also available for free download, and worth it. There's also Antimony, but they're more like a gothic metal band experimenting with odd tonalities and harmonics, making them rather hard to listen to. Definitely not for everyone (and I say this knowing we're talking about avant-garde metal here). And hey, isn't one of Axis Of Perdition's albums available online for free?
I'd like to know where these three are if you remember.

Hm... Kkleq Muzzil seems to have disappeared. I thought it was on Gerry Nestler's website, but that's not loading for me. The Wayback machine only takes you to their website, letting you download only a couple tracks. Check their MA page for the links.

Antinomy (forgive the original misspelling of the name) can be downloaded here:
http://www.antinomy.it/en-mp3.html (scroll down for the Origin Of All Pain demo/album)

I thought the Axis of Perdition demo (Corridors, it was) was somewhere in the "Free download" thread, but that could have been before the thread reboot. So... sorry, but you're on your own.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:21 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
Oflick wrote:
Kruel wrote:
UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Chaosmonger wrote:
Demilich - Nespithe
Gorguts - Obscura
Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium
Voivod - Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, Nothingface
Oxiplegatz - Worlds and Worlds, Sidereal Journey

None of those are avantgarde.

How would you define avantgarde?

Avant-Garde is essentially doing something and going beyond the limits of what is considered normal/traditional. I know thats the biggest generalisation ever, but it's hard to explain any genre without getting too detailed.

I guess depending on what people have been exposed to throughout most of their lives, their view on what is different won't be the same as someone who has been exposed to something unrelated.

I reject the concept of 'avant-garde metal' being a genre rather than a loose description of bands that are breaking so-called 'boundaries' (which is questionable in most of these cases anyway...Sigh does what, combine straight-ahead Venom-esque rock/metal with off-kilter elements of other genres?). 'Avantgarde' as a genre is an oxymoron.

I was under the impression that avant garde metal was a tag we slap on bands that don't quite fit anywhere else terribly well. So, I agree with Tod, I'm pretty sure none of those are avant garde.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:11 pm 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
!T.O.O.H.! often get labeled as avant-garde. Call them death metal, grindcore or whatever the fuck you want, the music is still fucking wierd and schizophrenic as hell. They rule though, so check them out.

^^^QFT.

I consider Thought Industry avant garde.

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:35 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:

Well, what is genre? Isn't it just category? If it is, then Avant-garde metal is a genre, regardless of the reason why they've been placed in the category.

SRX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:44 pm 

check out Gire, Ephel Duath,Secret Chiefs 3,, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum (and Idiot Flesh), Guapo, Shub Niggurath, Maudlin of the Well (and Kayo Dot), Pochakaite Malko, Sebkha-chott, and Zaraza.

not all metal but definitely worth your time.

twophoton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:55 pm 

Oflick wrote:
Chaosmonger wrote:

Well, what is genre? Isn't it just category? If it is, then Avant-garde metal is a genre, regardless of the reason why they've been placed in the category.

The point is that avant garde is a "meta" label. Avant garde can apply to any genre of metal: black metal, death metal, thrash metal, etc. By itself, though, avant garde is a poor description for the way a band sounds - which, after all, is the whole point of genre labels (i.e. classification of sound).

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:51 am 

twophoton wrote:
Oflick wrote:
Chaosmonger wrote:

The point is that avant garde is a "meta" label. Avant garde can apply to any genre of metal: black metal, death metal, thrash metal, etc. By itself, though, avant garde is a poor description for the way a band sounds - which, after all, is the whole point of genre labels (i.e. classification of sound).

What he said

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:49 am 

Apocryphal Voice plays some really weird, demented carnivalesque (they even have a song titled Sideshow about, well, a carnival sideshow :lol:) black metal which certainly fits the avant-garde tag. They seem to be rather unknown, but I very much dig them.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:15 pm 

i agree, check out SIGH's recent albums 'Gallows Gallery, hangmans hymn, imaginary sonicscape etc, all great. great composition and arrangements. my favourite black metal band, and very artsy on their newer stuff.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2