Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrownThyDemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:01 pm 

I was just wondering what the general stance on bands with heavy metal influences are. I get that for the most part, a band that isn't metal is (and rightfully so) probably not going to show up in the Archives, but I was just curious as to the exceptions. If there are any.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:02 pm 

Well Thin Lizzy and Rush were very large influences on Heavy Metal, so they're included. Is that what you mean?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:06 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
Well Thin Lizzy and Rush were very large influences on Heavy Metal, so they're included. Is that what you mean?

No, he is talking about bands who are influenced by metal, not vice versa.

CrownThyDemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:07 pm 

Sort of. I was thinking more of bands who themselves have been influenced by metal in their sound, as opposed to Rush, who had an influence on it.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:18 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

No, he is talking about bands who are influenced by metal, not vice versa.
Hmm...well that's interesting. Sadly, I know of none. Good question by the OP however.

CrownThyDemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:21 pm 

I guess for an example I'd say a band like Leftover Crack; a punk band, for sure, but then they also write full blown metal songs on their CDs as well. I'm sure there are other bands, but right now none come to mind.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:22 pm 

Eh... just about every borderline band is influenced by metal. However, if they are not metal themselves, then of course they don't get in.

To the OP: I don't know what exceptions you are talking about. For a non-metal band to enter the Archives, it has to be a side project of a metal band member. That's the only way, and it has nothing to do with how much the band was influenced by metal.

CrownThyDemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:26 pm 

Hmmm...in that case, perhaps Leftover Crack would place. I don't know if you're familiar with them, but members of that have band have played with Another Dying Democracy.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:27 pm 

I like a lot of this stuff, much of that in apparent with certain industrial artists - :wumpscut: and CombiChrist definitely have their metal influences. :wumpscut: has certain song-structures and overall (black) metal 'atmosphere', and CombiChrist's singer, founder and frontman uses death growls. Kinda a hard thing for me to explain, but there's definitely a lot of metal influences there.

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Type O Negative - Halloween in Heaven
via FoxyTunes

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:32 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
I like a lot of this stuff, much of that in apparent with certain industrial artists - :wumpscut: and CombiChrist definitely have their metal influences. :wumpscut: has certain song-structures and overall (black) metal 'atmosphere', and CombiChrist's singer, founder and frontman uses death growls. Kinda a hard thing for me to explain, but there's definitely a lot of metal influences there.

cheers,
--N

----------------
Now playing: Type O Negative - Halloween in Heaven
via FoxyTunes

Love both those bands you mentioned.

Also, KMFDM have their metal influences too. They did steal the breakdown riff from Angel of Death for their song Godlike after all!

Ministry's previous work is metal influenced without being overtly metal itself. They're often classified as a metal band nowadays, but the majority of rivetheads and/or goths I know would skullfuck anyone who described them as merely a metal band.

Last edited by screamingstatue on Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alliaphagist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:42 pm 

well all the "black ambient" bands were obviously influenced by black metal for their atmosphere and sometimes vocals. The prog band 3 certainly has metal influences in their lead work.

CrownThyDemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:45 pm 

That's true. Makes me wonder if Burzum would have even been included in the Archives if Varg had only ever made his last two albums.

marblez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:54 pm 

CrownThyDemon wrote:
That's true. Makes me wonder if Burzum would have even been included in the Archives if Varg had only ever made his last two albums.

Probably not. But it's an interesting thought.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:59 pm 

Guns N' Roses were influenced by stuff like Sabbath, Priest, Maiden etc.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:00 pm 

CrownThyDemon wrote:

Certainly not.

CrownThyDemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:01 pm 

True, but they (Guns N Roses) never wrote a full out Metal tune. I kind of mean more bands that do a CD of metal influenced stuff, but then have like two or three tracks that are full blown metal.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:38 pm 

CrownThyDemon wrote:
Sort of. I was thinking more of bands who themselves have been influenced by metal in their sound, as opposed to Rush, who had an influence on it.

Alice in Chains is included on the archives and they were highly influenced by metal, but they themselves are grunge, not metal. Same thing with Soundgarden.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:51 pm 

agentsteel666 wrote:
CrownThyDemon wrote:

Alice in Chains is included on the archives and they were highly influenced by metal, but they themselves are grunge, not metal. Same thing with Soundgarden.

They are on the archives, because they have at least some albums that are metal. Do not start on this again, you are on a very thin ice here.

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:52 pm 

I'd say Lordi, but they're on the archives anyway.

DrSeuss
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:56 pm 

I know that Red Hot Chili Peppers were influenced by metal to some degree, at least their earlier work with some thrash inspired riffs.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:13 pm 

DrSeuss wrote:
I know that Red Hot Chili Peppers were influenced by metal to some degree, at least their earlier work with some thrash inspired riffs.

Didn't they try to raise money for Chuck Schuldiner when he was dying?

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:15 pm 

If I remember correctly, Primus was heavily influenced by metal.

DrommerOmDod
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:27 pm 

Witcher wrote:
CrownThyDemon wrote:

Certainly not.

Who ever suggested he would have been?

Kerpak
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:56 pm 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:

Really? They did?

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:05 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
DrSeuss wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me.

Primus and RHCP are both labeled as "Funk Metal" by Wikipedia, which suggests metal influence.

Infectious Grooves is another "Funk Metal" band, with one of the Metallica guys (whose name I am too lazy to look up, but it might be Kirk)

Clutch is a band I haven't been able to classify, really, but they have metal influence without being metal themselves.

Everyone here knows Tool, amirite?

New York Hardcore is influenced by metal - just listen to some Terror, or Sick of it All.

Rage Against the Machine, Powerman 5000 and System of a Down (and Serj Tankien) both have strong metal influences, but neither are metal in their own right. I mention these bands, however, as they are not nu-metal (they are just lumped together in that category) - but rather some form of experimental alternative rock with metal influences.

Going way out on a limb, if anyone here is even vaguely interested in the band Journey - their new album has some metal influences especially on the rerecordings disc. The metal influences are very slight - Seperate Ways, for example, is "heavier" than the original - more guitar oriented, although it is still keyboard heavy melodic AOR.

Metal influences are vast. A lot of radio rock bands (not all, and probably not a majority) have some form of metallic influences in their music. Metal influences are beginning to creep into hip hop, techno and electronic music (I think the rapper Necro sampled Through the Fire and Flames by Dragonforce). This trend will increase, and inversely the trend of non-metal influences in metal music will also increase. There is not a damn thing we alone (as individuals) can do about it, except bitch our asses off and/or enjoy the slew of bands that take those non-metal influences and make good music with them - or form a band that takes non-metal influences and revolutionize a new form of metal. Easy, no?

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 am 

Perhaps Black Flag. I am listening to My War at the moment, and it is surely the first Sludge album.

teruist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:12 am 

being in a Buddyhead mood: The Icarus Line, Wires On Fire and Shat are all metal influenced.

The Piass certainly have metal influence too. you'd have to be stupid to say they didn't. actually, i'll just say that all visual kei bands are influenced by metal to some degree. D'espairsRay, Devise en Despair, Unsraw, Phantasmagoria and Deathgaze all come to mind.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:42 am 

Misainzig wrote:

Considering Les Claypool and Larry Lalonde met and played in Blind Illusion together, I'd say it'd be hard to deny a metal influence on Primus.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:45 am 

Ribos wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

Considering Les Claypool and Larry Lalonde met and played in Blind Illusion together, I'd say it'd be hard to deny a metal influence on Primus.

Not to mention Claypool used to open for Bay Area Thrash bands.

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:54 am 

Most grunge bands were.

And considering Dave Grohl made that Probot album, I think it's obvious Foo Fighters have some kind of metal influence (even if it's not apparant).

Burning_Missive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:03 am 

ReigningChaos wrote:
Perhaps Black Flag. I am listening to My War at the moment, and it is surely the first Sludge album.

Listen to Flipper's Album - Generic Flipper. It came out two years before My War and is actually pretty slow/heavy for what we think a punk band/album should sound like. In fact, Nirvana took a lot of inspiration from this band and it certainly shows.

Last edited by Burning_Missive on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:03 am 

Similar to the Probot post, Nirvana claimed to be inspired by Celtic Frost on their first album, but I haven't heard that album so I can't judge.

Lyrici17
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:35 am 

Misainzig wrote:
Ribos wrote:
Misainzig wrote:

Not to mention Claypool used to open for Bay Area Thrash bands.

Plus Larry LeLonde was in Possessed for a couple of albums...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:21 am 

You'd be surprised how much some pop punk bands are influenced by metal. Certainly The Offspring are, while Sum 41 even note Priest and Maiden as some of their main influences.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:11 am 

Nirvana (well, Kurt Cobain) were influenced by Celtic Frost and Mercyful Fate.

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:13 am 

Mutyumu is a post-rock band with lots of influences. They put bands like Evoken, Emperor, Nortt and Dimmu Borgir as their influences, and you can really 'hear' that.
Their first album has a Metal song, '魔道院妄奏天使曲', with harsh vocals and an overall Doom 'feel'.

Oflick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:16 am 

I heard that Perry Farrel was reluctant to bring Dave Navaro into Jane's Addiction because he was a metal fan, so I guess there would be some metal influence there.

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:43 am 

Bezerko wrote:
Nirvana (well, Kurt Cobain) were influenced by Celtic Frost and Mercyful Fate.

Kurt also loved Metallica - http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=_lFlKiw_wpI

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:48 am 

ENKC wrote:
You'd be surprised how much some pop punk bands are influenced by metal. Certainly The Offspring are, while Sum 41 even note Priest and Maiden as some of their main influences.

Doesn't one of Sum 41's ex-members have a metal band?

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:40 am 

You'll probably find most rock bands of today have at least a little influence from at least one metal band, usually Metallica or Black Sabbath or something.

IIRC, My Chemical Romance claim influence from Iron Maiden. Doesn't fuckin' sound like it, but whatever.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next