Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:30 am 

Horned_Owl_Holocaust wrote:
Bonded by Blood

Sirius B

Transilvanian Hunger

I'm surprised that this post has not met any opposition.

I can't defend the first two because I'm not that familiar but "Transilvanian Hunger" rules from beginning to end. Embrace the unholy, hypnotic power of that album!

I personally can't name (or can't think of one right now anyway) that fits the description set out by this thread. "...And Justice For All" comes to mind but it has a few good songs found amongst a bunch of crap ones. For anyone wondering, the other songs are "One" and "Dyers Eve".

- Tim Minchin

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:48 am 

OlioTheSmall wrote:

I can't defend the first two because I'm not that familiar but "Transilvanian Hunger" rules from beginning to end. Embrace the unholy, hypnotic power of that album!

Agreed. Bonded by Blood is also probably the worst song on the album.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:37 am 

Has happened to me dozens of times. Immortal-Battles In The North is the only one I can remember though.

Seto
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:37 am 

Empire Falls from To The Nameless Dead by Primordial.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:48 am 

While I haven't had a situation with an album that's been terrible following the first song here's my take on a similar situation.

At the Heart of Winter. It's a decent, solid album, but not one of my favorites from Immortal. When I heard Withstand the Fall of Time, I was in love with the track, however I couldn't get too into the rest of the album. It still gets regular play though due to my fiance, since that and Sons of Northern Darkness are her favorite two albums from them. :p

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:03 am 

I can't believe no one has mentioned Megadeth's Holy Wars. The song is amazing, the opening riff just grabs your attention. The song is just too awesome to explain in words. And for once, Mustaine's wailing vocals actually suit the music.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:22 am 

neonchipmunk wrote:
I would vote for both Forced Entry's full length albums. The first song on both are fantastic but the rest of the albums are nothing special.

I really liked "Uncertain Future" and even thought Anaconda was the best song on the album - although Bludgeon is pretty powerful. But to temper this, I listened to them in the early 90's and not since, so this could be me being nostalgic.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:32 am 

War Ensemble by Slayer. Was not to interested in the rest of Seasons and have not listened to anything they put out since.

And it's all my fault - I just moved, musically, in another direction and needed something a little... more.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:55 am 

Iron Maiden: Virtual XI - "Futureal" springs immediately to mind...

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:02 am 

Misainzig wrote:
To me, Accept's Restless and Wild was one of these with Fast As A Shark. Until I actually listened to the fucking album today! That thing is fucking solid!

:shock: How did you ever doubt that? For shame! :grumble:

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:07 am 

_Aargh wrote:
OlioTheSmall wrote:

Agreed. Bonded by Blood is also probably the worst song on the album.

I agree with that, and it put me off the album for a long time until I sat myself down and listened to the whole thing. BbB owns! :headbang:

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:08 am 

MegaHassan wrote:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Megadeth's Holy Wars. The song is amazing, the opening riff just grabs your attention. The song is just too awesome to explain in words. And for once, Mustaine's wailing vocals actually suit the music.

But the rest of the album is killer too :)

screamingstatue
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:17 am 

_Aargh wrote:
I love Burzum's Hvis Lyset Tar Oss, but Det Som En Gang Var definitely is the highlight of the album. The rest is good too, but doesn't even come close to the awesomeness of the first song.

Agreed. Again, not because the rest of the album is poor by ANY means, it's all incredible, but the intro is just that step above the rest.

Will probably be flamed to fuck for this, but I found From Mars To Sirius weakens after the opening track, Ocean Planet. However, that track is probably one of my favourite songs of all time, so maybe it's an unfair comparison.

Morbid_devil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:27 am 

I don't remeber something like that...It doesn't happens that i like just one song in an album...Generally i judge it in is fullness.

thewitchfinder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:08 pm 

This rarely happens to me. I believe if you listen to album long enough, it's going to grow on you and you'll appreciate it certain aspects you didn't pay attention to before. Maybe you are all making hasty judgement. Check out the albums again after you have given your ears a break, try to find aspects you like, and DO NOT go straight for the most familiar song.

http://www.myspace.com/thevala

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:09 pm 

Lagartija wrote:
MegaHassan wrote:

But the rest of the album is killer too :)

Shit.. I misread the OP.

As for great openers and weak albums, Terrorizer's Inevitable.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:53 pm 

MegaHassan wrote:

Yes but this thread is abut great opening songs with the rest of the album being much weaker in comparison. Rust in Peace had Hangar 18 and Tornado of Souls, two songs at least as good as, if not better than the first song.

EDIT: Apparently someone beat me to do this while I was on the phone with a client talking settlement. Stupid clients.

Someone mentioned Kreator's Enemy of God earlier. That's the first one that comes to my mind. I don't mind the rest of the album when I'm listening to it, but offhand, I don't ever remember much about the album other than the opening track.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:15 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
That is kind of what I felt about the new Amon Amarth album...

You're fucking kidding, I was gonna buy that after hearing the title track! :lol:

Oh well, I guess I'll still give it a try.
Once I was done throwing up I had to take another shit. Again it was diarrhea! While diarrhea was coming out of my ass I began to throw up. This fucking sucked! If only I had some Disgorge playing it might not have sucked ass much.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:29 pm 

screamingstatue wrote:
Will probably be flamed to fuck for this, but I found From Mars To Sirius weakens after the opening track, Ocean Planet. However, that track is probably one of my favourite songs of all time, so maybe it's an unfair comparison.

I can see this, but I don't think it weakens...however "Ocean Planet" is a highlight.

One album I thought of was Krisiun's "AssassiNation". The first track, "Bloodcraft", was awesome, and the rest didn't reach the same heights.

Usually, first tracks are really good, and there are rarely any albums where I'll skip track one, even if it's an intro track.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:34 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:

I can see this, but I don't think it weakens...however "Ocean Planet" is a highlight.

One album I thought of was Krisiun's "AssassiNation". The first track, "Bloodcraft", was awesome, and the rest didn't reach the same heights.

Usually, first tracks are really good, and there are rarely any albums where I'll skip track one, even if it's an intro track.
Yeah, that album is a bit dissapointing, though I do like Natural Genocide best off of it. Southern Storm well made up for that album.

JohnGalt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:52 pm 

The only one I can think of at the moment is "Astral Frost Invocation" from I.C.E.'s Apocalyptic End in White. The rest of the album is pretty good, but still sounds relatively weak when compared to the awesomeness of that first song.

:headbang:

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:36 pm 

F(r)iend was the song that made me initially think "it's not that bad" about Soundtrack To Your escape (In Flames). Indeed, it's not bad at all. The rest of the album is, though.

Allegiance is easily one of the better tracks off Dimmu Borgir'sDeath Cult Armageddon, despite the silly noises in the intro; the rest of the album mostly bores me to tears, barring some bright spots here and there, most notably Eradication Instincts Defined.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Tea_and_Crumpets
"Fail" is a sentence fragment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:32 pm 

Rhizome wrote:
Another one is....In Flames - Take This Life ( Come Clarity)..

No the whole album sucks from start to finish, and Crawl through Knifes is the only half decent song.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:44 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
secretninja wrote:
Bash wrote:
Death In Fire is the only decent song Amon Amarth ever made.

:wtf:
:mad:
:snipe:
:finger:
:grumble:

You sir, deserve to be shat upon.

You take Amon Amarth far too seriously for your own good.

Cellador's Leaving All Behind is a good song, but the rest of the album just sucks.

I'm always surprised to see how popular Amon Amarth are around here.

And yes, Cellador are practically made for this thread.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:48 pm 

HaydenMaddox wrote:
Cancer's "The Sins of Mankind". Great thrashy first song..the rest of the album...whatever.
You can feel free to take that back any time to avoid a free decapitation. :P

Bash
Talking Meat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:57 pm 

secretninja wrote:

I think you need to rethink your definition of music.

MaDTransilvanian
Caravan Beyond Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:24 pm 

Bash wrote:
secretninja wrote:

I think you need to rethink your definition of music.

Are you trying to say Amon Amarth isn't music??

the16th6toothson
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:41 pm 

Misainzig wrote:
HaydenMaddox wrote:
Cancer's "The Sins of Mankind". Great thrashy first song..the rest of the album...whatever.
You can feel free to take that back any time to avoid a free decapitation. :P

agreed, the rest of the album is just as good if not better, in fact i think the album kinda rollercoasters in quality from

AWESOME! to MORE AWESOME! to ALMOST AS AWESOME! to.. AWESOME and so forth
i mean really what is this guy smoking HAHA!

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:31 pm 

mentalselfmutilation wrote:
While I haven't had a situation with an album that's been terrible following the first song here's my take on a similar situation.

At the Heart of Winter. It's a decent, solid album, but not one of my favorites from Immortal. When I heard Withstand the Fall of Time, I was in love with the track, however I couldn't get too into the rest of the album. It still gets regular play though due to my fiance, since that and Sons of Northern Darkness are her favorite two albums from them. :p

But what about the GODLY SOLARFALL?! Honestly that song is epic beyond words.

agentsteel666
Yet Another Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:53 pm 

the_bard_of_osyrhia wrote:
MapleKit wrote:
Never had it happen. Usually as an album goes on I am more and more interested.

It's the same with me. I've never found that an album gets worse after the first song.

Most of Pantera's albums are like that imo.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:57 am 

foz45139 wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:
That is kind of what I felt about the new Amon Amarth album...

You're fucking kidding, I was gonna buy that after hearing the title track! :lol:

Oh well, I guess I'll still give it a try.

Just go for it, the album is quite solid. If you're a fan of With Odin on Our Side, then you'll enjoy this album. If you disliked that album, then avoid it. I really enjoyed that album, I checked out Twilight of the Thunder God, it's a killer album.

Boomsticks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:40 am 

the_bard_of_osyrhia wrote:
MapleKit wrote:
Never had it happen. Usually as an album goes on I am more and more interested.

It's the same with me. I've never found that an album gets worse after the first song.

I agree. The more you listen to an album, the more you appreciate it. Unless it's THAT bad! In which case, chances are there aren't any good tracks, and even if there are, the chances of that track being the first are unlikely. I haven't encountered this anyway.

PhallicMcAllister
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:08 am 

I'm not a big fan of the album, but I remember when I first listened to Vulgar Display Of Power I thought Mouth For War was fucking awesome and then the whole rest of the album was so disappointing.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:57 am 

As for albums which have a brilliant first song the rest totally sucks I have a few

At War's Ordered to kill is by far the best song on the album, but even then it's only a good quality thrash song, not a brilliant one. The res of the album pretty much sucks.

Dream Theaters Glass Prison from 6 degrees of inner turbulence is one of my favourite songs, but the rest of the first disk of the album is ok at best (Misunderstood is god awful by the way) and the second CD is one of the worst I've ever laid ears on.

Opeth - Ghost Reveries - Ghost of Perdition. The first song is the best thing they'd done since MAYH to me, but the rest of the album was horribly boring and generally poor.

I can find quite a lot of albums with first songs which are brilliant and just not touched by anything afterwards, despite the other songs being average/fairly good.

Decristianize, that song is a fucking monster, even after you're bored with the formula the band uses, but really nothing on the album touches it, despite not being horrible to my ears. Icons on the other hand is shit start to finish.

Both of the first two dissection albums open with brilliant songs (Somberlain has two in a row though) and everything else on the albums, while really good just doesn't compare

Anthrax's Fistful of metal, I like the album, it's really fun, but Deathrider is the only one which is just plain awesome not just really fun.

Slayers Christ illisuion of course opens with Flesh Storm, which pretty much owns, but the rest of the album is horribly mediocre.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2