Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cryptwatcher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:52 pm 

I have been getting into the more "psychedelic side" of music recently with psychedelic rock, acid jazz, and psytrance. The only problem is I really have not seen too many psychedelic metal bands, so I am asking you all, can anyone recommend me any psychedelic sounding metal? When I mean psychedelic, I mean like a 1200 Micrograms (psytrance group) kinda feel. It really does not matter on the genre, which is why I did not place this on the Death Metal Help Thread or such. But if this needs to be locked, go ahead, and just tell me where to ask please.

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:54 pm 

I recently discovered and have been listening to a lot by the band Cactus. Not sure if it'd be called metal, maybe it's more hard rock, but the guitar tone and riffs seemed metal enough to me. Anyway, great band, check it out and let me know if thats what you were looking for.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:56 pm 

Check this album out.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:57 pm 

I'm thinkin Alchemist here.

Misainzig
Epicurean Gynaecologist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:58 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
Seconded, especially because of the song Escape From the Black Hole.

wasteful
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:18 pm 

Some of these may be stretching the definition of "metal" or even "psychedelic", but take it or leave it.

Phlebotomized
Vediog Svaor
Njiqahdda
Jumalhämärä
Smohalla

frozenaeons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:18 pm 

Someone asked for psychedelic black metal in the black metal help thread, so I suppose I will forward the bands I recommended:

A Forest of Stars (UK)
Smohalla (France)

Not sure if they'll be exactly what you're looking for, but they're pretty out there.

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:25 pm 

Boris- Feedbacker. Droning Dooming Psychedelic stuff with a splash of sludge near the end. Really trippy album. The live version that they did for Rock Dream was like the whole band tripping on acid.

PeachPit
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:34 pm 

That one Arcturus album? Disguised Masters?

If I recall, it had a lot of trancey stuff.

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:43 pm 

Black Sabbath's debut remains some of the most (and best) psychedelic metal out there. Probably already familiar with that album, but Sabbath often gets overlooked when psychedelic metal comes up. And that just aint right. :nono:

Doom Metal as a whole tends to have the most psychedelic bands. The stoner doom scene (Acrimony, Electric Wizard, Sleep) took what Sabbath was doing to its logical extremity. A lesser known psychedelic metal band I highly recommend is Cactus Stoner Club 1984. Hear 'em here: http://www.myspace.com/cactusstonerclub1984

Also, I second the Afflicted recommendation. I don't usually think of them as psychedelic, but it's great prog death in the vein of Atheist and Cynic. They should have been a big name, definitely one of the best bands to have flown in under the radar IMO.

MapleKit
34 going on 14

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:46 pm 

ReigningChaos wrote:
Black Sabbath's debut remains some of the most (and best) psychedelic metal out there. Probably already familiar with that album, but Sabbath often gets overlooked when psychedelic metal comes up. And that just aint right. :nono:

Doom Metal as a whole tends to have the most psychedelic bands. The stoner doom scene (Acrimony, Electric Wizard, Sleep) took what Sabbath was doing to its logical extremity. A lesser known psychedelic metal band I highly recommend is Cactus Stoner Club 1984. Hear 'em here: http://www.myspace.com/cactusstonerclub1984

Also, I second the Afflicted recommendation. I don't usually think of them as psychedelic, but it's great prog death in the vein of Atheist and Cynic. They should have been a big name, definitely one of the best bands to have flown in under the radar IMO.
Afflicted have a few psychedelic moments, and I agree they should have gotten way more attention.

Last edited by MapleKit on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:50 pm 

I'd say latter day Enslaved (beginning with Mardraum and especially Monumension) is pretty psychedelic. Great albums those two, can't really go wrong with Enslaved anyway. :P

Forrizzledog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:35 pm 

The new Nachtmystium is supposedly psychadelic, but I haven't personally listened to it.

ampc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:38 pm 

frozenaeons wrote:
Someone asked for psychedelic black metal in the black metal help thread, so I suppose I will forward the bands I recommended:

A Forest of Stars (UK)
Smohalla (France)

Not sure if they'll be exactly what you're looking for, but they're pretty out there.

Talking about Psychadelic Black metal, Sigh's Imaginary Sonicscape may also be right up your alley. Gallows Gallery and Hail Horror Hail too, possibly.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:12 pm 

Esoteric is sometimes referred to as such. Funeral doom with lots of strange effects; certainly not normal.

Lepernicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:27 pm 

ampc wrote:
frozenaeons wrote:

A Forest of Stars (UK)
Smohalla (France)

Talking about Psychadelic Black metal, Sigh's Imaginary Sonicscape may also be right up your alley. Gallows Gallery and Hail Horror Hail too, possibly.

I can't believe it took this long for someone to mention Sigh. That was the band that immediately came to mind when I saw the thread title.

Neurosis' "A Sun That Never Sets" would also be a good choice.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:59 pm 

English is so ambiguous, which is why I both love and hate it. The term 'psychedelic' could probably be applied to the majority of music once you can back up your statement with a justified argument ... Personally, as someone as has suggested, A Forest Of Stars is a good bet.

LindisfarneAnno793
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:12 pm 

If you haven't already done so, check out Psychotic Waltz. They are tagged as progressive metal, but there's a lot of psychedelic influence in their sound, particularly on the Mosquito LP (1994). Also, their main lyrical theme is "Psychedelic", so I'm sure you'll find something of interest in them.
Fueled by methamphetamines and forties

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:14 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
English is so ambiguous, which is why I both love and hate it. The term 'psychedelic' could probably be applied to the majority of music once you can back up your statement with a justified argument ... Personally, as someone as has suggested, A Forest Of Stars is a good bet.

I agree, psychedelic means different things to different people. That's why I used "usually" when I was talking about Afflicted; it isn't difficult to see how someone would consider them psychedelic. My first exposure to psychedelic music was the stuff from the '60s: Floyd, Hendrix, The Dead, The Beatles. So, naturally, the bands that take cues from those artsists are the ones I most often associate with 'psychedelic' music. Other easy ways to get in that category are to: call your music psychedelic, be public about one's current or former drug use, write really fucking weird music, or even just use trippy artwork. Long, jammy guitar solos are almost psychedelic by definition. XP

But hey man, psychedelia should be ambiguous.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:55 am 

As you don't seem too fussy, try one of my all-time favourite bands, Crow from Whitstable, UK. Not really Metal, more Crust/Punk mixed with Tribal Psychedelia -- think Hawkwind/Ozrics meets Killing Joke with a touch of Discharge. They were big in my local area back in the 90s, and have just reformed.

There's 3 tracks on their MySpace page, plus 3 more on the MrGig website. Plus you can read more about them on my website, The Kent Band Archive.

A couple of the tracks on MySpace take a while to get going, have patience!

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:58 pm 

Oh yeah, and I remember Scottish Death Metal band Korpse being hyped as Psychedelic, though the one time I saw them play live I can't say I was greatly impressed.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:14 pm 

If you're into BM at all I would highly suggest listening to Furze's Necromanzee Cogent. Its quite slow and sprawling, compared to his other works, but its a wonderfully odd journey. If you want to read a bit more in depth before you listen, check out the reviews.

(Album best served with medicinal enhancement.)

Dolf9271986
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:30 pm 

I always found Electric Wizard sort of psychedelic, but only because the vocal is so un-loud and sounds like it could possibly be a little distorted? You know what I mean, also, I second Boris.

Tea_and_Crumpets wrote:
screamingstatue wrote:
I've always maintained that St Anger is actually a very good song.

ST ANGER ROUNDDD MA NECKKKA. HE NEVA' GETTS RESPECTT!

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:50 pm 

Though not always touted as such- I've always thought Tiamat's Wildhoney and Deeper Kind of Slumber were great psych metal records

Ekinflog
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:07 pm 

MINSK

Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:04 pm 

More stoner/doom than anything, but I'm fond of Obiat and Malasangre.

BentSlightly
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:22 pm 

Hellhammer

Circle and a lot of additional NWOFHM projects.

Kosmos

Rwake

!T.O.O.H!

Yowie

Brain Drill

Some Buckethead

Dwarr

Drumcorp

Locust

Faxed Head

Noxagt (Earlier)

Earlier Scorpions

Secret Chiefs 3 (at times)

My idea of Psychedelic music refers to a type of music that enhances the experience of taking drugs, along the lines of LSD, Mushrooms, and Weed.

Watch out, Stoner Rock has hijacked the term, and in my opinion, falls far short of providing a psychedelic experience. 99 times out of 100, Stoner Rock bands are musically barely passable in the context of being distinguishable from a rich-kid high school band with Gibsons and Marshalls. The overall theme and experience is completely un-psychedelic, extended three finger pentatonic jams that NEVER end. Not my idea of trippy, in any context.

Dataclast

RidiculeSwarm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:27 am 

The Atlas Moth.

Actually doing a show at Reggie's in Chicago with Nachtmystium and Wolves in the Throne Room this Saturday. Definitely worth checking out.

spacepig
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:56 am 

Ekinflog wrote:
MINSK
Seconded.

My favorite psychedlic metal band these days that isn't Electric Wizard is probably Mammatus, especially their self-titled debut.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:16 am 

For psychadellic doom metal, I suggest Starchild. It's psychadellic traditional doom, yet can in no way be labeled as stoner metal. Kinda like the bastard child of Pink Floyd and doom metal.
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

DisembowelMe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:40 am 

I second Esoteric. They have awfully depressing, beautiful, ugly, fucking crazy parts in their music, sometimes all at once.

I also recommend Momentum, a local band that used to play fucking furious progressive death metal, and released a demo with that material that I recommend for you to check out. The stuff of today is pretty good nontheless, check it: http://www.myspace.com/momentumtheband

Mungo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:26 am 

Ufomammut perhaps? Very trancey/psychedelic stuff.

ReigningChaos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:21 pm 

Unholy_Asar wrote:
For psychadellic doom metal, I suggest Starchild. It's psychadellic traditional doom, yet can in no way be labeled as stoner metal. Kinda like the bastard child of Pink Floyd and doom metal.

You, sir, have just potentially made my life time.

Craggzy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:43 pm 

i would suggest camel of doom although i can only find one track by them.

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:59 pm 

I love psychedelic, and (obviouslly) I love metal, so I can help a little -
You could try lookign for some older metal and Proto-metal bands, such as Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly, Cream, and Blue Cheer.

Also, I suppose I should mention stoner metal hear - If you havent heard it, imagine psychedelic/blues-rock metal. Some good abnds are Monster Magnet, kyuss, Electric Wizard, and Bongzilla.

Beyond that, UFOmammut and Nachtmystium's later stuff is psych metal.

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

Star-Gazer
Trust and you'll be trusted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:11 pm 

Primemattimus wrote:
Though not always touted as such- I've always thought Tiamat's Wildhoney and Deeper Kind of Slumber were great psych metal records
yes
Wildhoney being one of the most amazing pieces of music ever created

jedimasterhassan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:29 am 

someone mentioned cactus. thats awesome. cactus kicks ass. but check out the first manilla road album "invasion" its psychadelic early metal/rock. really spacy

AleXTreme
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:36 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:

im agree, but as I understand you are looking for some shit like Dol Ammad not like pink floyd...

steady666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:59 am 

Misainzig wrote:
Snowgrave wrote:
Seconded, especially because of the song Escape From the Black Hole.

Thirded. I FUCKING LOVE ALCHEMIST!

Waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka waka

weakling_goat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:10 am 

Check out This Is Past. I guess you could consider them psychedelic black meta/rock/ambient/whatever.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next