Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:33 am 

What do you folks think of this duet, formerly a quartet? For what I've heard so far, their debut is a solid piece of symphonic black metal.

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:59 am 

I've got Ad Noctum Dynasty of Death and it's good. It's really gloom and brutal at the same time

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:06 am 

Thier debut is a masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. Defiantely one of the bests in symphonic black metal, imo. Their whole catalogue with the exception of their most recent album is very good in general.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:51 am 

Top-caliber symphonic black metal, though not a personal favourite. It is distinguished by a very spacious and distant feeling. Haven't heard anything beside the first two, though, except for one song from the latest which I barely remember.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:16 am 

Absolutely class symphonic act. Definitely one of the better symphonic black metal bands around. Moon In The Scorpio is an outstanding album that traverses so many emotions and gloomy atmospheres you're constantly listening for and finding new elements to the music. The intros to Moon in the Scorpio and Beyond the Candles Burning are amazing. It also has some of the most kickarse cover art around. In Abhorrence Dementia is pretty damn good too, if a little overstretched at times.

winterheathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:22 am 

Overrated. Moon in the Scorpio was good for a few listens but got old quickly. I gave The Ultimate Death Worship a few spins before giving up on it as well. I enjoy symphonic black metal, but LA does nothing for me.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:53 am 

I loved "Moon In The Scorpio", preferred "In Abhorrence Dementia" and enjoyed "Epitome Of Illusions", but didn't like "Ad Noctum - Dynasty Of Death" due to the almost inaudible drumming. I found it a tedious listen, and have thus not bothered with the subsequent releases.
I don't think the albums have aged very well though, or maybe my tastes have evolved too far beyond their symphonic approach, but I hardly listen to them anymore, and when they come up randomly on my ipod, I usually skip them.

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:54 am 

Yes, I agree that "Moon in the Scorpio" song has a fantastic intro as many of the others have decent openings and endings that make it seem fluid.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:09 pm 

Evil_Obsidian wrote:
I loved "Moon In The Scorpio", preferred "In Abhorrence Dementia" and enjoyed "Epitome Of Illusions", but didn't like "Ad Noctum - Dynasty Of Death" due to the almost inaudible drumming. I found it a tedious listen, and have thus not bothered with the subsequent releases.
I don't think the albums have aged very well though, or maybe my tastes have evolved too far beyond their symphonic approach, but I hardly listen to them anymore,

Suppose that'ss close to my position, but I guess I enjoy "Moon in the Scorpio" best. It really ought not wo work, with that wax-paper-blowing-in-the-breeze guitar sound and the endlessly pounding drum machine, but the orchestral-sounding keys, cavernous reverb thrown over everything, the memorable and spine-tingling melody and ghostly vocals somehow make it all come together. I enjoy how the album joins each song to its neighbours by way of a sort of floating, spacey sound effect .. makes you feel as though you are indeed on a journey and that you must begin at the beginning and let these scions take you into astral chaos. "In Abhorrence" seemed to have a little less personality, but it was nice of them to jack the guitar up a bit I guess. I've barely listened to "Ad Noctem" at all and even the debut is not something I'm much in the mood for nowadays.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:51 pm 

I enjoyed all of their albums except for the last and most recent one, it's barely symphonic at all, they are definitely one of my favorites, but judging from their last effort, the symphonic part is gone

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:51 pm 

I enjoyed all of their albums except for the last and most recent one, it's barely symphonic at all, they are definitely one of my favorites, but judging from their last effort, the symphonic part is gone

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:01 pm 

I've meant to buy an album by this band for a long time. Hopefully I'll get around to that soon.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:18 pm 

I finally got my copy of Moon In The Scorpio last week, and I thoroughly enjoy it. I haven't had as much time as I'd like to just sit down and absorb the entire album, but I've given it several spins and it's growing on me pretty quickly.

I like the mix, with the guitar more in the background and the keys towards the front. I think the vocals are of quality, both the black metal and the clean, and the drumming, while sounding a little more mechanic than I'd like, gets the job done. The spacey sounds are also really cool.

I saw a copy of one of their later albums on vinyl in my local record store and barely overcame my urge to snag it.

Khull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:32 pm 

The song In Abhorrence Dementia still gives me chills every time it comes 'round on shuffle.

Interestingly enough, I've yet to check out any of their albums beyond their first two...

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:36 pm 

I absolutely love Limbonic Art. In Abhorrence Dementia could arguably be the best Sympho Black Metal album ever.

genocida
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:52 am 

Moon In The Scorpio is a masterpiece for me. But the last two full-lenght albums aren't so good. The music is really dark in their old albums by the mixing of ambient and the echoing vocal. But they lost it all.

They change a lot. And that maybe a proof that they ran out of idea.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:05 am 

"Moon In The Scorpio" is a masterpiece indeed, although it takes a few listens to fully grow on you. On the other hand, "The Ultimate Death Worship" and "A Legacy Of Evil" are horrible in their mediocrity.

Pptlkaos
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:31 am 

I tried listening to Moon in the Scorpio as well as In Abhorrence Dementia and neither of them really appealed to me. In general I find Symphonic Black Metal far less interesting than most other Black Metal material (apart from In The Nightside Eclipse of course).

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:16 am 

Pptlkaos wrote:
In general I find Symphonic Black Metal far less interesting than most other Black Metal material (apart from In The Nightside Eclipse of course).

:ugh:

Last edited by Catachthonian on Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Morbidreich
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:22 am 

I'm not familiar with their whole catalogue but In Abhorrence Dementia is an excellent work. I actually thought "The Ultimate Death Worship" was pretty solid as well.

Unholy_Asar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:35 pm 

Limbonic Art is IMO one of the best symphonic metal bands there are (in all kinds of metal, not just black). They have made two of the most compelling and epic symphonic metal masterpieces in existence.

In Abbhorence Dementia and Moon In The Scorpio are essential for anyone into symphonic black metal. They are both absolutely top notch, while still being very different from each other.

Moon In The Scorpio creates a uniquelly cold, desolate, and mysterious atmosphere while still being very dark, haunting and emotional. It's a really epic listen and one of the most well-written albums in the entire realm of symphonic metal. This album alone is IMO enough to give Limbonic Art it's rightful place within the Symphonic Metal Hall Of Fame, but it just happens they released another masterpiece just after this one, In Abhorrence Dementia.

In Abhorrence is also a genuinely epic and unique listen, and an extremely well written and emotional album, but it's also very different to it's predecessor in a lot of ways. While MITS feels cold and dead, In Abhorrence feels warmer and more lifelike. It's also emotional and epic in an entirely different way. While MITS feels sad and filled with despair (although in a very dark and epic way), In Abhorrence feels misanthropic, bizarre, and filled with a kind of intense hatred expressed with what can best be described as a nearly religious conviction. In fact, the entire album has an atmosphere that could probably best be described as religious.

What came after, while not spectacular, was at least mostly solid. The only thing I thought was really mediocre was The Ultimate Death Worship. The rest is not spectacular but it's also in no way terrible.

:hail: to what is probably the greatest symphonic bm band I have ever heard!
True Black Metal is NOT kind of Metal, that is a complete independent music so Nazhand believes "the name of music which is called Black Metal nowadays, should be changed to Blackness music and shameful name of Metal should be cut out from our music".

PhantomMullet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:09 pm 

I own all their work except Epitome of Illusions. They're fun to listen to and offer a variety of atmospheres as each album sounds different from the last one. They may not be for everyone though, but they are definitely one of my favorite bands. I wish they can go back to their more symphonic sounds thhough.

Primemattimus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:53 pm 

Limbonic Art is great. Moon in the Scorpio- awesome COLD album. Its almost like some of the darker goth electronic coldwave bands in a way with the reverb and drum machines. I love that band

Soulside_Traveller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:52 am 

Best symphonic black metal PERIOD. Excellent symphonies and melodies, everything sounds very carefully crafted. Ultimate Death Worship could have been done better though. :headbang:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.