Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:29 am 

Have you ever listened to an album and thought; ''The vocalist ruins the whole album'' (or something similar?)

I always think of that whenever I listen to In Flames' The jester Race. It has some cool Iron Maiden influenced riffs and decent solo's, but the vocals done by Anders Friden just suck. They sound boring, dry and overall mediocre, most important; doesn't fit the album.

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:31 am 

Every time I listen to Smashing Pumpkins...

My CD Collection (Not Complete)
http://www.metal-archives.com/usercol.p ... nig_ov_Hel

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:38 am 

Dusk's Jahilia. The album is pretty good but the awful whispered vocals really drain the atmosphere. The death grunts are also pretty bland.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:43 am 

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:

Fuck, I hate their singer. One of the most annoying voices ever.
I don't like the music though.

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:05 am 

hippiedrow wrote:
Konig_ov_Hel wrote:

Fuck, I hate their singer. One of the most annoying voices ever.
I don't like the music though.

Only a couple songs of theirs that I can stand... Anyway, back to Metal bands with annoying vocals. Silencer.. This band would be good if it wasn't for that horrible vocalist.

Horned_Owl_Holocaust
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:16 am 

Corgan is God.

Vio-lence
Manilla Road (nasal nerdery to the extreme)
Helloween (Walls of Jericho only)
Mayhem (Attila)
Newschool Mille
Burzum (all)

All good to great music with horrible vocals.

Konig_ov_Hel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:29 am 

Horned_Owl_Holocaust wrote:
Corgan is God.

Vio-lence
Mayhem (Attila)
Newschool Mille
Burzum (all)

I actually prefer Attila over Maniac.. Are you the opposite or are you the "Nobody could ever top Dead" kind of person?

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:42 am 

I agree with Vio-Lence, Sean Killian just blows.
I know a lot of people will shit on me but

BALOFF

Seriously I like his ideals and all but he was crap. His Bonded by Blood performance was below average in my opinion and he wasn't much better on Another Lesson in Violence.
we sail across the sea!

Atheist_Hero
Contributing Important Stuff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:45 am 

Anything Electric Wizard has ever produced..

SerialRapist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:27 am 

Corgan is God.

Vio-lence
Mayhem (Attila)
Newschool Mille
Burzum (all)

I agree with you on Burzum. Tbh, even tho it's black metal, I believe some low vocals would fit better to his music. For example, Gaahl's lows might fit a bit better than Varg's screaming

~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:34 am 

I don't agree with Helloween (Walls of Jericho), Exodus with Baloff and Vio-lence. I absolutely love those vocals.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:35 am 

Vio-lence
Mayhem (Attila)
Newschool Mille
Burzum (all)

I cannot agree with any of those.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:36 am 

I swear I have seen this exact thread somewhere before not to long ago. There's a bunch of albums I can think of but alot of them I can get used to.

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:54 am 

Atheist_Hero wrote:

How is that? I really like Jus Oborn's vocal performance, and I think it fits the music quite well, either when his vocals sound torturated, or just when he seems just fucking wasted, which I suppose won't be far from how he recorded them.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:56 am 

Atheist_Hero wrote:

I actually agree with this. I do love me some Electric Wizard but the vocals almost kill it for me if the rest of the music wasn't so great. Jus' vox do sound a bit whiney to me.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:02 am 

For me, the definitive example of this is Dusk...-era Cradle of Filth. Back then they put out an album or two of actually rather good melodic/symphonic black metal that would have been excellent were it not for the performance of Dani.

Some of his mid-pitch shrieks are acceptable, but most of the time he's either mumbling stupidly or letting loose a flurry ear-splitting screams that sound like a prepubescent girl having a tantrum. Too bad they soon decided that they'd lower their musical quality to match Dani's vocals and the rest is history.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:05 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
For me, the definitive example of this is Dusk...-era Cradle of Filth. Back then they put out an album or two of actually rather good melodic/symphonic black metal that would have been excellent were it not for the performance of Dani.

Some of his mid-pitch shrieks are acceptable, but most of the time he's either mumbling stupidly or letting loose a flurry ear-splitting screams that sound like a prepubescent girl having a tantrum. Too bad they soon decided that they'd lower their musical quality to match Dani's vocals and the rest is history.

Almost everyone agrees that Dani's vocals are the worst. But I can't say I am very much of a fan of the overall sound the band produces either. It comes off as too theatrical and grandiose with too much gothiness.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:09 am 

It certainly does these days, but I am fond of Dusk... which is still gothic, but more in the "castle in the mountains" way than the "mascara and fishnets".

chan5586
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:57 am 

The newest Psycroptic album, (Ob)servant. The music on that album is fucking killer, but the dudes shouting ruins it. Even when he tries to pull off some growls, you can tell he's not that great of a DM vocalist.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:02 am 

People who don't like Mark Shelton should die!

And I went back to Walls of Jericho-era Helloween and the vocals were better than I had originally thought. And Vio-lence's vocals were great.

Hmm...most melodeath bands have atrocious vocals, most notably Nightrage and In Flames.

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:09 am 

Nuclear Assault

I love the riffs, but the vocals are nails on a chalkboard...a fucking shame.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:10 am 

When you say melodeath there, do you mean specifically the Gothenburg style or melodic death as a whole?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:13 am 

When you say melodeath there, do you mean specifically the Gothenburg style or melodic death as a whole?

The Gothenburg ones. I know I'm probably making a hasty generalization, but that whole raspy "intelligible" style just doesn't sound good at all. Give me Incantation's or Demilich's vocals any day, that's what DM should be about.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:21 am 

I've stated my opinion on melodeath in the past, but I'll state it again: Dark Tranquillity is the best band in the genre and always will be. Their vocals actually have some power behind them which just sweetens it. DT is the only melodeath band that has the quality and consistency to get them into Bezerko's Top Ten Band List, where such a thing to ever form.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:21 am 

It's obvious, but...

And Then You'll Beg, and Whisper Supremacy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:24 am 

Bezerko wrote:
I've stated my opinion on melodeath in the past, but I'll state it again: Dark Tranquillity is the best band in the genre and always will be. Their vocals actually have some power behind them which just sweetens it. DT is the only melodeath band that has the quality and consistency to get them into Bezerko's Top Ten Band List, where such a thing to ever form.

I haven't listened to them in ages, but I remember disliking their vocals too. But I don't remember hating them enough for me to dislike the music, so maybe I should re-check em out.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:25 am 

I cannot agree with Burzum. Vikernes vocals are known for being one of the scariest. It is something like trademark of Burzum.

I like also Attila Csihar vocals on De mysteriis, however I like his vocals on Tormentor even much more.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:26 am 

Definitely just sit down, turn out the lights and throw on The Gallery through some earphones, brilliant album. One of my all time faves even though I don't listen to it much. I need to be in the mood for DT to listen to them and it's not often but it's so much sweeter when I am in that mood.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:27 am 

Bezerko wrote:

People claim that melodic death metal (or melodeath, name it as you want) is either a genre that you love or hate. I disagree, I think there are some strong melodic death metal albums out there, and tons of melodic death crap. I tried to enjoy The Gallery as much as possible, it's definitely an outstanding gothenburg album, but i've heard better.

The Red in the Sky is Ours (At the gates) and North from here (Sentenced) are pretty good in my opinion, especially the first one I named.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:37 am 

I thought that The Red in the Sky is Ours was a mish-mash to be honest. Sure there are good riffs here and there and the drumming was OK but the odd violin stuff was a bit distracting and Tomas Lindberg REALLY brought it down.
we sail across the sea!

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:37 am 

I wouldn't call The Red in the Sky is Ours a Gothenburg styled melodeath album at all, though I don't know if you're not just sticking to the Gothenburg style with your definition at the moment...

The Red in the Sky is Ours bored the crap out of me. Two additional reasons why it sucks.

1) Violins. Violins in metal suck, this is fact.

2) Shitty guitar sound. Oh my GG Allin, that guitar sound is shit.

Per_Ignem_Ad_Lucem
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:39 am 

To be honest if I don't ike the vocals then I don't bother with the music either.
Metal will rule in my masterscheme."

trueMunchies
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:41 am 

I agree about Manilla Road. The music sounds like it could be nice but then, the vocals are just horribly wimpy and unconvincing, and I'm someone who even likes Angel Witch... "ENTER THE CITY OF THE DEAD!!!" it sounds like some 12 year old on counterstrike teamspeak.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:43 am 

trueMunchies wrote:
I agree about Manilla Road. The music sounds like it could be nice but then, the vocals are just horribly wimpy and unconvincing, and I'm someone who even likes Angel Witch... "ENTER THE CITY OF THE DEAD!!!" it sounds like some 12 year old on counterstrike teamspeak.

Just listen to "Epitaph of the King" and "Born Upon the Soul" and tell me his vocals are weak.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:48 am 

Empyreal wrote:

The Gothenburg ones. I know I'm probably making a hasty generalization, but that whole raspy "intelligible" style just doesn't sound good at all. Give me Incantation's or Demilich's vocals any day, that's what DM should be about.

Well, yes, there's a fair bit of mediocre vocal stuff in Gothenburg, but there are also some melodic death bands with really great vocalists. Amon Amarth comes to mind.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:15 am 

marktheviktor wrote:

Almost everyone agrees that Dani's vocals are the worst. But I can't say I am very much of a fan of the overall sound the band produces either. It comes off as too theatrical and grandiose with too much gothiness.

I seem to be one of the few that thinks Dani (still) is a quality vocalist, any era Cradle of Filth.

Hail of Bullets,"...Of Frost and War"- Some damn fine death metal in vein of the old school, too bad the vocalist can't keep up in terms of quality. His voice is tolerable, but he ends up ruining some really awesome parts.

Psycroptic,"(Ob)Servant"- I like this guys death metal vocals, his high pitched screams, but what the hell is that dry shouting voice that he's trying to pull off!? He sounds like Phil Anselmo with a congestion issue. Chalky did something similar, but he managed to pull it off. Stick with the death vox plz.

Silencer, "Death, Pierce Me"- Awesome, awesome music. Genuinely depressive, then it all comes crumbling down when that idiot opens his mouth. It's an awesome aesthetic for sure, but when it comes down to it it's just not something I want to listen to.
Death metal is eternal.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:17 am 

:o Van Drunen is the best thing about Hail of Bullets, his screaming sounds really painful. I wouldn't have anybody else singing on a death metal album with that concept.

Windwaker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:17 am 

70% of all the thrash metal albums are completely ruined by the vocalists.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:21 am 

Bezerko wrote:
:o Van Drunen is the best thing about Hail of Bullets, his screaming sounds really painful. I wouldn't have anybody else singing on a death metal album with that concept.

Like I said, he's tolerable, and it definitely doesn't stop me from listening to "Of Frost and War". The music is really awesome however, and there are just times that I wish his vocals were on par with it.
Death metal is eternal.

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:23 am 

Windwaker wrote:
70% of all the thrash metal albums are made even better by the vocalists.

Fixed :P

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next