Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HelluvaGuy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:21 pm 

What is your opinion on Metal fans playing their music in front of those who probably won't like it? If the person is in your domain like your car, or home, that is one thing. In the past, I had a bad habit of playing Metal, even Slayer, on public jukeboxes. I'm sure only a select few appreciated that. Now that I'm off the booze, there isn't much temptation to blast. What do you think? Should Metal fans be more empathetic when playing their music?

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:25 pm 

In the car/home etc I usually try to find something inoffensive- clean singing, a little more chill, etc. I tend to think if it's in the jukebox it's fair game.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:45 pm 

Ruslan Malyshev built his whole Youtube career off of this. Personally I don't like when people do it just for the attention like that. If they're busking on the streets or in another public place then that's at least understandable.

Last edited by King_of_Arnor on Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:46 pm 

I don't have many friends or family that like metal so whenever I'm with ones that don't like metal I let them play whatever they want. My wife isn't a fan of metal but has a background in music so I sometimes play some lighter symphonic stuff around her. I do the same around my daughter to see how she'll react with symphonic and power metal and I think she likes some of it.

My parents both like metal, but they're old and mostly listen to older stuff from the 80s and 90s so if I'm with them I can play classic stuff and show them newer stuff and see what they think about it.

HelluvaGuy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:48 pm 

Hardworlder wrote:
In the car/home etc I usually try to find something inoffensive- clean singing, a little more chill, etc. I tend to think if it's in the jukebox it's fair game.

The problem is some of those digital jukeboxes allow you to select obscure album cuts from almost any album. That's asking for trouble if there's a drunk fan of obscure music.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:04 pm 

I generally think it's a bit lame to play music around other people who aren't interested, no matter the music genre. Sure, maybe it's a public space, but why should your right to enjoy music override other people's right to peace and quiet? Headphones exist for a reason. In private it's a bit different, if your friends or family are cool with it then whatever.

Straight up blasting any loud music to anyone around you (car stereo with open windows, etc.) is just obnoxious.

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:06 pm 

Either you're proselytizing or just being a dick. Just don't.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:28 pm 

Hmm. When it comes to other people hearing/overhearing my music, I guess I have a sort of scale...

1. more-or-less totally inoffensive, complaints (barely) possible but unjustified. Example: barely audible sound-leakage from my earbuds at the gym

2. car stereo audible to other vehicles in moving traffic

3. car stereo audible to other vehicles at a red light

4. car stereo blasting through quiet neighborhood

50. "Angel of Death" on a Denny's jukebox

60. Cannibal Corpse marathon on a road-trip with Grandma in the passenger seat

etc.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:33 pm 

HelluvaGuy wrote:
Hardworlder wrote:

The problem is some of those digital jukeboxes allow you to select obscure album cuts from almost any album. That's asking for trouble if there's a drunk fan of obscure music.

Ah I didn't know that, never really used them. Yeah I'd keep it more mainstream them....

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:34 pm 

CoffeeCat wrote:
I generally think it's a bit lame to play music around other people who aren't interested, no matter the music genre. Sure, maybe it's a public space, but why should your right to enjoy music override other people's right to peace and quiet? Headphones exist for a reason. In private it's a bit different, if your friends or family are cool with it then whatever.

Straight up blasting any loud music to anyone around you (car stereo with open windows, etc.) is just obnoxious.

100% this. Nothing pisses me off more than going for a hike somewhere and some moron is blasting ANYTHING (even if I love the music) on his shitty little bluetooth speaker.

UroboricNate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:06 pm 

It depends, there’s a line, and it depends on my mood too, in public I know what music is more safe for normies, I’m not gna blast Deathspell around grandmas and teenage girls for example lol, if it’s my car or home I’m more likely to just play what I want, even then sometimes I reel it in a bit depending on who’s there. I’m considerate, but it’s not like others give a shit about me when they blast their shitty techno or trap music drenched in auto tune around me, or pickup truck and Jesus laced country pop music, it’s fuckin rude.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:32 pm 

All men play on 10, anytime and anywhere. Sharing's caring.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 5:32 pm 

HelluvaGuy wrote:
Hardworlder wrote:

I once played Insonmium's Winter's Gate (40 minute song) on one of those. Totally sober too.

HelluvaGuy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:13 pm 

Sometimes I'm just in the mood to hear a heavy song through my soundbar. Sorry neighbors. It's after 10 am.

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:36 pm 

Yep, I did the same with King Diamond's Conspiracy and Prong's Beg to Differ a couple of weeks ago, out for an evening with my daughter. Played both albums in their entirety on a jukebox, and nobody seemed to give a shit. Actually looking around the place some of them actually dug it.
They were sandwiched in between Bad Bunny and Kelly Clarkson, which I don't care to hear in a public setting either, being a metalhead; So, it goes both ways here. Rap/Pop in a public setting for me is the same as a non metal person hearing something I played in a public setting, so I tend to not let it bother me.
Like Hardworlder said earlier, if its a jukebox its fair game. Deep cuts or not.
My car plays my music, at a level only I can hear. I'm not that guy blasting Anal Vomit so everyone within a mile can hear it. Plus I'm not chauffeuring anybody around either, so there is no bitching if I'm playing whatever. If my wife is in my car, she knows the drill, If I'm in her car, I know the drill.
At work, I play mostly hair and sleaze bands. My staff has grown accustomed to it, but I always make sure everybody is comfortable. Plus they get the "old guy commentary" from me on these bands and songs, its fun. If any of my younger metalheads are working, then yeah, I'll put some on, but always at a respectable volume.
I'm Interested to see where this thread goes...

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:31 pm 

Generally I'll only play really mainstream well known to normies stuff around other people who aren't metal heads, stuff like Sabbath, Metallica, Priest, Scorpions, Ozzy, or other stuff I don't think would offend most people, like Rainbow or Deep Purple.

In the car I play the music on my phone on shuffle so anything can pop up. If a non metal head is in the car and something with harsh vocals crops up, I skip to the next one with clean vocals (that's basically my barometer when I'm driving with a normie as a passanger, anything with clean vocals is ok, anything with harshes is not). Also in the car when I'm playing my music, I will not roll down any of my windows at all. I really hate it when other people blast their music out of their cars with their windows rolled down. Extremely inconsiderate. If it's hot in the car I use the a/c.

When I'm at home I'm always using headphones anyway, so I'd only play underground stuff around others at home if they request it.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:11 pm 

I don't play stuff that other people are unlikely to enjoy around them because I'm not a fucking dork. On the off-chance that it's not something a million miles from metal, it's probably something like AIC, Soundgarden, Life of Agony, or Crowbar that has reasonably broad appeal and could conceivably be enjoyed by a broad swath of folks.

Eyrieux
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 5:27 am 

I've become quite good at establishing borders in my life. So that means - when I'm around people outside of job-related contexts, no-one plays any music, unless we all know that everyone genuinely likes it. Works perfectly and neither I nor others need to experience irritation. Life's too limited and precious to waste it with bad art and/or bad humans.

alktrash
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:41 am 

I'm going outside and listen rap, pop, disco, folk, whatever I wish not or dislike and I sometimes really suffer from what I'm listening "by force" in some way (yeah yeah lost in supermarket...)
I'm on a outdoor market once a week to listen french guitar boy playing some melted Led Zep+french folk stuff, or a cover band, or a jazz band
I'm going friends home for listening noise band or 60s psychedelic rock
99% peoples around enjoy happy folk-trad-world-jazzy thing
in my region there's that hype for playing high volume speakers by walking, usually what they call rap (autotuned)
cars passing by with loud techno or rap or whatever

why metal would not be a part of our culture too? how would it be shameful, or worst than TV arrogant and loudy "fun" they like?

if I'm having people home or if I'm playing music in the studio (public space) I will play even punk or metal, not loud, but why metal would not be music as others? And I would say that playing "light stuff" such as hairmetal or powermetal is not better because it's highly contrasted, if you play obscure death nothing peaks out of a rumbling sound, noone will notice

(PS: I know nothing about what you call jukebox)

Durag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:00 pm 

People have no problem listening to loud trap with sexually explicit lyrics in front of children - im going to play metal in front of whoever i want, within reason. Extreme black and death doesn't get a huge amount of play in the car with other people because i cant turn it up loud more than anything.

I was in a shop with my 3 year old daughter and the woman behind the counter had some terrible trap music on with lyrics about fucking pussy, so i don't think loud aggressive music is any worse.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:36 pm 

Durag wrote:
People have no problem listening to loud trap with sexually explicit lyrics in front of children - im going to play metal in front of whoever i want, within reason.

"People are assholes so I'm going to be a bit of a douchebag myself", really?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 11:11 pm 

I generally avoid doing this. When I was a kid, I had no qualms about annoying people with music that was loud, anti-social and offensive, but I outgrew the need to be obnoxious like that. It's sort of like, how I get annoyed when I hear obnoxiously bad Nicki Minaj-type crap blasted in my ears. I love metal like nobody's buisness but if I play it around other people, they have to at least be closeted metalheads. I kind of consider my more extreme tastes in music to be kind of a private thing.

Dr_Funf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:38 am 

I'll stick a CD on through speakers at home every now and then, but it's not like I absolutely blast out the volume. As I don't really need a car for the most part, I only drive when renting one, which usually tends to be for band purposes and so I tend have a car full of metalheads, anyway.

In my experience, metalheads rarely, if ever, cause any kind of bother as they tend to be considerate about this kind of thing. It's always cheap tracksuit-wearing hoodlums, usually in a group but sometimes alone, walking/cycling/hanging around with those awful bluetooth speakers, blasting out some crap where some auto-tuned guy who looks, acts and dresses just like them sings about getting drunk at nightclubs and explicitly having sex with random women, who in two years' time is likely to be the latest high-profile(-ish) rapper arrested for having an inappropriate relationship with an underage girl.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:44 am 

For me the only time this may be an issue is during the summer if its nice and I'm cranking something in the car. But my car lacks the oomph in the speakers to really blast the cars around me. Its not like when some guy drives by with some hip hop playing with way too much base rattling the neighborhood.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:50 am 

My kids (5 & 3) love it.

My 3-year-old will tell you that his favourite band is Blind Guardian (closely followed by Primordial). Last week, I was driving him to daycare and that legendary opening riff from Municipal Waste's 'Deathripper' came on. He immediately woke from his 7am stupor and said "Baba, I like this one! Who is it?" I was so proud.

My 5-year-old daughter loves being in the car with me and listening to music where Cookie Monster is the vocalist. She's convinced he's singing about how much he wants cookies. Just a few days ago she asked for Cookie Monster but I was in a rush so I just put on my Metal faves playlist on shuffle with confidence that a DM song would come on soon. Kreator's 'Enemy of God' came on and I figured it was close my enough. She wasn't having it. She insisted, "This isn't Cookie Monster, he sounds different!" So I kept on skipping until a legit DM band came on. I settled on Nile's 'Snake Pit Mating Frenzy' and she found it hilarious - "Haha, he REALLY wants cookies. He's going crazy!!"

Durag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:45 pm 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Durag wrote:
People have no problem listening to loud trap with sexually explicit lyrics in front of children - im going to play metal in front of whoever i want, within reason.

"People are assholes so I'm going to be a bit of a douchebag myself", really?

Within reason I said. Ill play metal very loud in my car, but windows will be up. I have zero need to let other people here my music with windows down. Windows up and ill play what i want.

Durag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:46 pm 

Rodman wrote:
My kids (5 & 3) love it.

My 3-year-old will tell you that his favourite band is Blind Guardian (closely followed by Primordial). Last week, I was driving him to daycare and that legendary opening riff from Municipal Waste's 'Deathripper' came on. He immediately woke from his 7am stupor and said "Baba, I like this one! Who is it?" I was so proud.

My 5-year-old daughter loves being in the car with me and listening to music where Cookie Monster is the vocalist. She's convinced he's singing about how much he wants cookies. Just a few days ago she asked for Cookie Monster but I was in a rush so I just put on my Metal faves playlist on shuffle with confidence that a DM song would come on soon. Kreator's 'Enemy of God' came on and I figured it was close my enough. She wasn't having it. She insisted, "This isn't Cookie Monster, he sounds different!" So I kept on skipping until a legit DM band came on. I settled on Nile's 'Snake Pit Mating Frenzy' and she found it hilarious - "Haha, he REALLY wants cookies. He's going crazy!!"

My daughter is 3 and she imitates death metal vocalists in the back of the car when I have some on. Doesnt know any band names yet but im working on it.

gzusrocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:57 pm 

When I'm home or in my car by myself, then I'll listen to anything I want, and how loud it is really depends on how far away other people (like neighbors) are from me, how late it is, etc. While in the car, especifically, I generally put it on a higher volume since the traffic noise will mostly swallow any music (and I do not play it on a freaking loud volume because it's a douche move, no matter what kind of music, and I don't want to become deaf).
In any other situations, if no one is straight up requesting to listen to my music, I'll use headphones. When I was younger, I'd do that because I was embarassed of other people judging my musical taste, but nowadays I don't give a fuck to that, it's all out of respect to others.

ChoujuX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:07 pm 

Everyone I know seems to dig stuff like Theocracy or Nightwish even if they aren't into metal. I have a friend who listens to mainstream pop music and Theocracy.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 4:37 pm 

I would never play metal around people I don't already know are into metal. It's a niche genre, we all know this, anybody who thinks there's no functional difference between playing your average trap artist vs playing Dying Fetus around other people is being silly. The lyrics really don't make much difference either. It's pretty easy to let mainstream pop/hip hop/trap music fade into the background in public and ignore the lyrics-- you can't exactly do that with Cannibal Corpse or Slayer or whatever. You may like this stuff more than whatever happens to be popular, but respect that you're very much in the minority.

I do love blasting music in the car with the windows down, but I usually only do it on the highway where it doesn't really make a difference to anyone else on the road anyway. If I'm not on the highway, the windows may stay down but the volume also comes down a bit, and I'll always turn it down significantly when I'm stopped at red lights.

Quote:

Baba? Persian?

democracyiscringe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:28 pm 

At a reasonable volume, I'd expect some weird reactions with death/black metal blaring because I live on planet earth and I know most people don't like music like that. At a reasonable volume, if I'm playing Dio or Maiden or whatever and you don't like it, get over it.

Cranking any sort of music around random people is always douchey.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:49 pm 

HelluvaGuy wrote:
What is your opinion on Metal fans playing their music in front of those who probably won't like it? If the person is in your domain like your car, or home, that is one thing. In the past, I had a bad habit of playing Metal, even Slayer, on public jukeboxes. I'm sure only a select few appreciated that. Now that I'm off the booze, there isn't much temptation to blast. What do you think? Should Metal fans be more empathetic when playing their music?

There is this weird idea among normies, that their garbage reggeaton, overproduced pop shit and run-of-the-mill shithop is music that "everybody" enjoys, and that they can play everywhere, anywhere, as loud as they want. Be it at parties, on the beach with a huge ass amp, on the stupid speaker of their cellphone in the bus or wherever else. So this kind of crowd I give zero fucks about when it comes to playing metal music loudly. Maybe exposing them to music that wasn't made by a bunch of suits in an office tower for gullible FM radio lemmings, might actually open their minds to music that actually has a thought process, work and creativity behind it.

When it comes to people who might not be into metal, but who are respectful to me and don't blast their shit while whining about mine, then yeah, I can compromise. But usually, it's still possible to play a bunch of metal that's still more accessible, less saturated, less extreme then say Cryptopsy. Most people I'm close to have heard some of the metal music I like, namely because I prefer people who are into art and culture and curious about things that might take them outside of their comfort zone. So there is also this.

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:31 pm 

Rodman wrote:
My kids (5 & 3) love it.

This is Beautiful my friend.
Thank you for sharing that. :metal:

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:44 pm 

Ezadara wrote:
I would never play metal around people I don't already know are into metal. It's a niche genre, we all know this, anybody who thinks there's no functional difference between playing your average trap artist vs playing Dying Fetus around other people is being silly. The lyrics really don't make much difference either. It's pretty easy to let mainstream pop/hip hop/trap music fade into the background in public and ignore the lyrics-- you can't exactly do that with Cannibal Corpse or Slayer or whatever. You may like this stuff more than whatever happens to be popular, but respect that you're very much in the minority.

I do love blasting music in the car with the windows down, but I usually only do it on the highway where it doesn't really make a difference to anyone else on the road anyway. If I'm not on the highway, the windows may stay down but the volume also comes down a bit, and I'll always turn it down significantly when I'm stopped at red lights.

Quote:

Baba? Persian?

I'm a white Australian but my wife is from Hong Kong, so we use a lot of Cantoneseisms around the house.

FrostOfTheBlack
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:22 pm 

Playing music in public is rude, unless it's part of an artistic performance or an organized event (sports game, etc). Doesn't matter the genre. Blasting anything while on the bus, train, hiking, loitering, shopping, sunbathing, etc is just rude.

If someone's in my house, office, truck, etc., I will have no problem playing the music I want to hear.

gzusrocker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:18 am 

Rodman wrote:
My kids (5 & 3) love it.

This is just awesome, might as well be one of the best things I ever read here on M-A.
I don't have kids and neither want to, but if I did, that would be a magical moment for me as a parent.

Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:27 am 

Yeah, that's nice! :-D

Puts me in mind of this old video -

Spoiler: show

Reply to topic