Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:10 pm 

Gothenburg's prog metal legends EVERGREY will release their 14th studio album, "Theories of Emptiness" on June 7th 2024 through Napalm. Crazy to think they have made this many albums - a sizable chunk have been forgettable but the recent batch has seen them sounding rather revitalized.

track listing:

1. Falling from the Sun
2. Misfortune
3. To Become Someone Else
4. Say
5. Ghost of My Hero
6. We Are the North
7. One Heart
8. The Night Within
9. Cold Dreams
10. Our Way Through Silence
11. A Theory of Emptiness

The very stock, very serviceable, very forgettable and by-the-numbers first single isn't making this an album to anticipate for me but some might feel differently so here's the video;

What has got me excited is the announcement of a special guest;

Evergrey wrote:
We couldn't be prouder to announce, as many of you already guessed, our guest vocalist for this album: Jonas Renkse. Jonas has graced Katatonia's music with his unique atmosphere for decades. Now, we in the band and fans of Evergrey get to experience the same, and we couldn't be more excited! You might even get to hear Jonas growl for maybe the first time in many years.
Did you need a protection amulet?

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:57 pm 

The last album was my intro to the band and I thought it was pretty good. Englund sounded great on that last Redemption album also.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm 

Their run since Hymns for the Broken has been awesome, even if perhaps getting away from some of their more prog tendencies. I’m pretty excited about anything they do these days.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:52 pm 

CoffeeCat wrote:
Their run since Hymns for the Broken has been awesome, even if perhaps getting away from some of their more prog tendencies. I’m pretty excited about anything they do these days.

This. Their run since “Hymns” has been remarkable.

Mountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:55 pm 

In 2003 I would have argued they were one of the best Prog/Power metal bands. Solitude, In Search of Truth and Recreation Day was a great run and I listened to those albums alot. Crazy to think that was over 20 years ago.

Maybe it's just me but they lost me with Inner Circle. I've tried countless times to listen to the albums after that, but it never hit like Recreation Day. This first single doesn't have me too excited. To be fair though, I haven't listened to their last two albums they put out.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:59 pm 

Those guys (and Soilwork) are like the anti-Dark Tranquillity; they're always releasing stuff at a steady rate. I remember an interview Tom did with Ola Englund in which he stated that he treats the act of writing music much like novelists do: You've got to do it every day, and for every five-ish dumb riffs/hooks/ideas, an exceptional one will come out and the "bad" ones get reworked ad infinitum, so they never run out of material.

That first single is a bit too simplistic in terms of structure, but the chorus and main riff are solid. The cover artwork is great, too. It's different from what they've been doing since Hymns.

Reply to topic