* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:36 am 

ChoujuX wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
Whoa!! You like Mosaic more than As the World Bleeds??

I'm admittedly extremely new to Theocracy, but I've been through Mosaic multiple times and it hasn't grabbed me like As the World Bleeds.

As the World Bleeds was always my favorite until last year! I don't think Theocracy has a bad album, easily the best band I've ever heard (and great guys to talk to, especially Matt). Mosaic is a bit heavier, almost thrashy at times, which I dig. Some really nice riffs throughout the album and some of Matt's best vocal melodies (3:00 in Red Sea is perfection).

Mosaic is excellent. I also like Ghost Ship and think it is under rated. It really is one of their best.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:55 am 

Bronze Age wrote:
ChoujuX wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
Whoa!! You like Mosaic more than As the World Bleeds??

I'm admittedly extremely new to Theocracy, but I've been through Mosaic multiple times and it hasn't grabbed me like As the World Bleeds.

As the World Bleeds was always my favorite until last year! I don't think Theocracy has a bad album, easily the best band I've ever heard (and great guys to talk to, especially Matt). Mosaic is a bit heavier, almost thrashy at times, which I dig. Some really nice riffs throughout the album and some of Matt's best vocal melodies (3:00 in Red Sea is perfection).

Mosaic is excellent. I also like Ghost Ship and think it is under rated. It really is one of their best.

I deeply agree, Mosaic by Theocracy is one of the best power metal albums of 2023 and probably one of the best of all time. I extremely recommend that album.

tobi is an animal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:34 am 

is Ghostlights a power metal album or just an album with a few power metal songs?

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:51 am 

tobi is an animal wrote:
is Ghostlights a power metal album or just an album with a few power metal songs?

I would say yes, a very melodic power metal album. Avantasia plays a style that mimics rock operas but with a power metal style. It's one of the softest metal albums that I have listened to, there are times when I think I was listening to an opera rock album like A Night at the Opera by Queen, but it has obviously a metal undertone, and the Edguy influence is very present.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:32 pm 

Typing this while on teleconferencing. No thought into it.

Helloween - Walls of Jericho (or Keeper 1)
Gamma Ray - Heading for Tomorrow (or Land of the Free)
Crimson Glory - Transcendence
Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond (could have been any of the following two)
Helstar - Nosferatu
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King
Riot - Thundersteel
Morgana Lefay - Maleficium
Leatherwolf - Leatherwolf ('87)
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian

Almost but not today:
Metal Church - s/t
Angra - Angels Cry
Lethal - Programmed
Manowar - Into Glory Ride (maybe Hail to England)
Scanner - Ball of the Damned
Running Wild - Port Royal (could have been Death or Glory or Black Hand Inn)
Sanctuary - Refuge Denied or Into the Mirror Black
Vicious Rumors - Digital Dictator (or Welcome to the Ball)
Liege Lord - Master Control
Conception - Parallel Minds
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy

There is a case to be made about King Diamond being power metal, especially in the first four. Some songs I would consider heavy metal, others power (like Dressed in White or A Mansion in Darkness). If they were to be included, top position to "Them".

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Simfers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:42 pm 

I'm going one album per band ('cause that's how I roll) and no particular order ('cause otherwise I'd drive myself nuts):

Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out In Space
Could've been anything from Land of the Free up to and including Majestic, but Somewhere JUST edges the others out, today at least.

Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side
Same note as above, but between Tales From the Twilight World up to Nightfall in Middle Earth and I'd add The God Machine in there too.

Falconer - Falconer

Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
Coin flip between this and Reckoning Night. To me, Night is more interesting musically, but Ecliptica is more immediate.

Grave Digger - Excalibur

HammerFall - Legacy of Kings

Edguy - Hellfire Club

Nightwish - Oceanborn

EverTale - Of Dragons And Elves
Maybe controversial pick, but I listened to this again recently, and man, it's some magical shit.

Rhapsody - Legendary Tales
Maybe more sentimental than anything, but it was my first metal album, and the effect it's had on me earns it at least a nod.

I almost put Theocracy's Mosaic in there, because it's SUPERB (last year's AOTY for me), but at the same time, it's so recent, y'know? Would it stand the test of time? Is it simply recency bias? I also need to explore this band more, this was my first exposure to them and it really worked.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:43 pm 

Theocracy has grown on me from the old days, but they're still just too polished and nice sounding to really get me excited... not that much of the stuff I do like is ultra-gritty, but there's just this air about Theocracy that's too much like some kind of weekend youth group sermon or something. But I'll give em that they're talented at what they're doing.

tobi is an animal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:31 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
tobi is an animal wrote:

I would say yes, a very melodic power metal album. Avantasia plays a style that mimics rock operas but with a power metal style. It's one of the softest metal albums that I have listened to, there are times when I think I was listening to an opera rock album like A Night at the Opera by Queen, but it has obviously a metal undertone, and the Edguy influence is very present.

I agree there is a metal undertone, just don't know if I would consider it actual power metal other then a few songs like the title track. Maybe power metal is more broad then I'm thinking though.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:41 pm 

tobi is an animal wrote:
SanPeron wrote:
tobi is an animal wrote:

I agree there is a metal undertone, just don't know if I would consider it actual power metal other then a few songs like the title track. Maybe power metal is more broad then I'm thinking though.

Yeah, you could say Avantasia plays a Meat Loaf style of rock opera but with some power metal undertones, but I don't have any problem in lumping them with Edguy and the rest of Tobias Sammet projects. One could say that the music that they play is too soft to be power metal, but the spirit of the whole thing still has the influences of power metal as a whole.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:45 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Theocracy has grown on me from the old days, but they're still just too polished and nice sounding to really get me excited... not that much of the stuff I do like is ultra-gritty, but there's just this air about Theocracy that's too much like some kind of weekend youth group sermon or something. But I'll give em that they're talented at what they're doing.

You are correct Emp, in fact they are a Christian band. But that never bothered me too much, power metal is a very happy genre, sometimes I like to detox myself from my usual brutal death metal bands and listen to something brighter and hopeful. One of the things that I love about metal is that you can find all the emotions spectrum in all the genres, from pure hate and darkness to hope and lightness.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:07 pm 

Some other stuff that could easily be up there...

Armageddon - Embrace the Mystery - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvuQbZe ... c3BlbGw%3D

Nocturnal Rites - Shadowland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izlt3mJ ... d2xhbmQ%3D

Human Fortress - Defenders of the Crown - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y6IMl- ... R0ZW50b3Ig

Domine - Emperor of the Black Runes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF5Z4oH ... IGJhbmQ%3D

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:42 am 

1. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys II
2. Kamelot - Karma
3. Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond
4. Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneat
5. Rhapsody - Power of the Dragonflame
6. Symphony X - The Odyssey
7. Crimson Glory - Transcendence
8. Wuthering Heights - Salt
9. Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes
10. Avantasia - Metal Opera II

Honorable mentions:
Nightwish - Once
Gamma Ray - Powerplant
Running Wild - Death or Glory
Manowar - Hail to England
Firewind - The Premonition
Grave Digger · Knights of the Cross
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King (altough i consider them an heavy metal band, not power)
Cage - Darker Than Black
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder
Dragonland - Under the Grey Banner

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:24 am 

nephilim80 wrote:
1. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys II
2. Kamelot - Karma
3. Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond
4. Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground Beneat
5. Rhapsody - Power of the Dragonflame
6. Symphony X - The Odyssey
7. Crimson Glory - Transcendence
8. Wuthering Heights - Salt
9. Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes
10. Avantasia - Metal Opera II

Honorable mentions:
Nightwish - Once
Gamma Ray - Powerplant
Running Wild - Death or Glory
Manowar - Hail to England
Firewind - The Premonition
Grave Digger · Knights of the Cross
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King (altough i consider them an heavy metal band, not power)
Cage - Darker Than Black
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder
Dragonland - Under the Grey Banner

Damn, I forgot about Salt by Wuthering Heights. That one was really good.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:59 am 

No particular order rankings are hard

Dark Moor - The Gates of Oblivion
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
HammerFall - Glory to the Brave
Falconer - Falconer
Galneryus - The Flag of Punishment
Avantasia - The Scarecrow
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1
Black Majesty - Silent Company
Dragon Guardian - Dragonvarius
Lost Horizon - Awakening the World

Some honorable mentions

Stratovarius - Dreamspace
X Japan - Blue Blood
Lovebites - Awakening from Abyss
Blind Guardian - Tales from the Twilight World
DragonForce - Valley of the Damned
Cross Vein - Royal Eternity

darthlazy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:11 pm 

In no order:

Brainstorm- Downburst
Cloudscape- New Era
Darkwater- Where Stories End
Evergrey- A Night To Remember
Killing Touch- One of a Kind
Lost Horizon- Awakening the World
Pathosray- Sunless Skies
Pyramaze- Disciples of the Sun
Triosphere- The Road Less Travelled
Vindictiv- Cage of Infinity

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:51 pm 

1. Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret
  2. Sabaton - Carolus Rex
  3. Hammerfall - Renegade
  4. Nightwish - Oceanborn
  5. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
  6. Manowar - Fighting the World
  7. Luca Turilli - King of the Nordic Twilight
  8. Grailknights - Alliance
  9. Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
  10. Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time

Rhapsody - Symphony of Enchanted Lands II: The Dark Secret

Not their best guitarwise, that would be something from the first five albums. But the bombast and epic feel of this one is unparallelled on any album. The connection between metal and orchestra is perfect, and this is one of my all time favourite records.

Sabaton - Carolus Rex

Sabaton are one of my favourite bands, but they have absolutely peaked on this one. All of their other records have some duds, this is nearly flawless from start to finish. Very cohesive stuff, and a clear labour of love.

Hammerfall - Renegade

My first Hammerfall record and I still enjoy to this day. Good flow of songs.

Nightwish - Oceanborn

The best Nightwish we ever had. The era Century Child - Once was good too, but really heavy in the guitar sound.

Symphony X - Paradise Lost

A near perfect record with excellent flow. Slightly heavier than the others on the list but still driven by power.

Manowar - Fighting the World

I was planning on putting Kings of Metal here, but then I read some of the other posters' comments on this record and thought this suits the "power metal" label best. Black Wind, Fire and Steel is a timeless power metal masterpiece.

Luca Turilli - King of the Nordic Twilight

Stolen the idea fro a few other lists here. Yes, give me all the Luca Turilli you have! Sounds like Rhapsody but clearly is its own thing. His second solo record is great too. The third one was not as fun, and his Luca Turilli's Rhapsody was too cinematic. Turilli/Lione Rhapsody was a nice return to form. Too bad he has left (power) metal entirely, apparently.

Grailknights - Alliance

My favourite of theirs. There are a few tracks that borrow from death metal, the overall is a very enjoyable record with singalong hymns and catchy melodies.

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings

Either this or Something Wicked This Way Comes. There is nothing you can't love about Jon Schaffer's riffing and Matt Barlow's vocals. Dante's Inferno is a beast of a track. Too bad we will likely never hear anything like this from Schaffer again...

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time

I might have put Nightfall in Middle-Earth here for all the Tolkien stuff, but that record is bloated with narration and interludes. I can appreciate these, but not in my Blind Guardian. At the Edge of Time begins and ends with two great epics and presents a lot of great power metal tracks in between.

ClicheUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 pm 

not the biggest fan of the genre, but I do really enjoy some of the more old-school stuff.

Attacker - Battle at Helm's Deep
Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear
Blind Guardian - Follow The Blind
Dark Age - Dark Age
Defender - City Ad Mortis
Helloween - Walls of Jericho
Metal Church - Blessing in Disguise
Metal Church - Metal Church
Metal Church - The Dark

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:34 pm 

ClicheUsername wrote:
not the biggest fan of the genre, but I do really enjoy some of the more old-school stuff.

Attacker - Battle at Helm's Deep
Blind Guardian - Battalions of Fear
Blind Guardian - Follow The Blind
Dark Age - Dark Age
Defender - City Ad Mortis
Helloween - Walls of Jericho
Metal Church - Blessing in Disguise
Metal Church - The Dark

Good mix between euro power and USPM, Walls of Jericho is amazing if I had to choose other album of Helloween that isn't the Keepers I & II, I would choose that album.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 pm 

If we include progressive power metal, my top spots will definitely be stuffed with Symphony X albums, as they are the one power metal band I still listen to on a fairly regular basis. Not that I hate power metal or anything, but I was much more into power metal as a teenager and in my early 20's. Still, it's interesting to dig back into my power metal records for the sake of discussion :) So here goes:

1. Symphony X - V: The New Mythology Suite
2. Symphony X - The Odyssey
3. Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild
4. Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied
5. DragonForce - Extreme Power Metal
6. Edguy - Hellfire Club
7. Jacobs Dream - Drama of the Ages
8. Eidolon - The Parallel Otherworld
9. Sonata Arctica - Reckoning Night
10. DragonForce - Sonic Firestorm

My list has more then one Symphony X, Sonata Arctica and DragonForce record, and I considered replacing them for albums by Stratovarius, Gamma Ray, Helloween, Kamelot, Nightwish, and other bands I really enjoy. But if I'm being honest, the top 10 I picked is pretty much what I listened to the most from the genre

Honorable mentions (no particular order):
Edguy - Mandrake
Edguy - Theater of Salvation
Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica
DragonForce - Inhuman Rampage
Stratovarius - Infinite
Nightwish - Oceanborn
Nightwish - Once
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Gamma Ray - Lanf of the Free
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1
Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 2

I decided to exclude melodic death/power metal stuff à la Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Wintersun and the likes, as I feel that it would go against the spirit of this thread (and because they are two of my favorite bands and would just take too much space in my top 10, and take the place of more "traditionnal" power metal albums. I also feel that they are kind of in a category of their own.

Edit: My first steps in power metal were so focused on the European scene (outside of Symphony X) that I completely overlooked bands like Manilla Road when making my list. I don't want to change everything now, but I would have definitely included Crystal Logic, probably around 6th place if I thought about it before. So if anybody is keeping track of my votes, feel free to kick down all the positions in my top 10 to include Crystal Logic at 6th :P

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:41 am 

Today's near impossible list, one album per band and all have power somewhere in their description on MA. I'm definitely more of a fan of the US side of power metal.

1. Manilla Road - Open The Gates
2. Manowar - Into Glory Ride
3. Omen - Battle Cry
4. Blind Guardian - Imaginations From The Other Side
5. Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys, Pt. I
6. Virgin Steele - Noble Savage
7. Queensrÿche - The Warning
8. Domine - Stormbringer Ruler – The Legend Of The Power Supreme
9. Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
10. Twisted Tower Dire - Crest of the Martyrs

Very honourable mentions:
Spoiler: show
Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force
Arrayan Path - Thus Always to Tyrants
Cauldron Born - Born Of The Cauldron
Cloven Hoof - A Sultan's Ransom
Control Denied - The Fragile Art of Existence
Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory
Desolation Angels - Desolation Angels
Exxplorer - Symphonies of Steel
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within
Fireaxe - Lovecraftian Nightmares
Gamma Ray - No World Order!
Glacier - The Passing of Time
Griffin - Flight of the Griffin
Heavy Load - Riders Of The Ancient Storm
Helstar - Remnants Of War
Hexx - Under the Spell
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Liege Lord - Master Control
Matthias Steele - Haunting Tales Of A Warrior's Past
Medieval Steel - Medieval Steel EP
Morgana Lefay - Grand Materia
Nasty Savage - Nasty Savage
Overlorde - Return of the Snow Giant
Pariah - Blaze of Obscurity
Pharaoh - Bury the Light
Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory
Sacred Outcry - Damned For All Time
Sanctuary - Refuge Denied
Satan's Host - By the Hands of the Devil
Slauter Xstroyes - Winter Kill
Tad Morose - Undead
Triumpher - Storming the Walls
Tyrant - Too Late to Pray
Veni Domine - Material Sanctuary
Vicious Rumors - Digital Dictator
Warlord - Deliver Us EP

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:10 am 

Hi all,

Decided to use this thread to ask for your help.

First of all, apologies for contributing jack shit to the thread.

Now, I am not a fan of power metal at all.
I do not enjoy the happy vibes, the sugary melody, the high pitch vocals, the thin guitar tone, and all the cheese.

HOWEVER...

Imaginations From The Other Side and Nightfall In Middle-Earth are two of my favourite albums of all time, regardless of genre.
I also like Morgana LeFay, Persuader, Nevermore, some Evergrey (when they don't get all sad boi) and some Symphony X (cause they have chunky riffs, although I cannot stand their choruses, I find them atrociously cheesy).

I sorta gave up on power metal because even I don't know what might put me off, more then any other genre.
For instance, I love traditional heavy metal, you know, Satan, Manilla Road, Eternal Champion, Smoulder, etc, but I can't stand Rhapsody, Sonata Artica, Stratovarius, Kamelot...

Any advise? Thanks fellas.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:41 am 

^I'm the same when it comes to power metal dude. Try these out:

Tad Morose - Undead
Domine - Stormbringer Ruler – The Legend Of The Power Supreme
Twisted Tower Dire - Crest of the Martyrs
Pharaoh - Bury the Light

Edit: had to add Overlorde in there, great album.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:59 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
^I'm the same when it comes to power metal dude. Try these out:

Tad Morose - Undead
Domine - Stormbringer Ruler – The Legend Of The Power Supreme
Twisted Tower Dire - Crest of the Martyrs
Pharaoh - Bury the Light

Edit: had to add Overlorde in there, great album.

Yeah, that list just confirms it: I know nothing about the genre - I've never heard of any of those bands.

Thanks mate, this gives me a lot to delve into!!

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:28 pm 

uhm. My top 3 is always the same
Helloween Keeper 1 & 2 plus Gamma Ray's Land of the Free

The rest really depends on my mood and shifts often. But Edguy, Blind Guardian and Stratovarius are always in there. So is one of the first two Rhapsody albums or one of the first two Luca Turilli solo albums.
Normally a non-European band couldn't ever be in it but the exception is Versailles' "Jubilee" from Japan

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:12 pm 

I'm a bit late, but I figured since power metal is my favorite sub-genre, I have to put in my top ten. Better late than never, as they say.

My definition of power metal is a large umbrella as I include both US Power metal and European stuff (even some 'flower metal' if people still use that term).

1. Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 1 & 2 (I consider both to be one double album)
2. Manilla Road - The Deluge
3. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
4. Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell 1 & 2 (like with Helloween, I consider these both one long album released separately)
5. Rage - The Missing Link (hey, there's the reference to my username)
6. Axel Rudi Pell - Oceans of Time
7. Metal Church - Hanging in the Balance
8. Gamma Ray - Land of the Free
9. Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth
10. Stratovarius - Destiny

Honorables: Labyrinth (Return to Heaven Denied), Nightwish (Oceanborn), Running Wild (Death or Glory), Sonata Arctica (Ecliptica), Omen (Battle Cry), Kamelot (The Black Halo), Orden Ogan (Vale), The Lord Weird Slough Feg (Down Among the Deadmen), Fates Warning (Awaken the Guardian), Symphony X (Divine Wings of Tragedy), & Armored Saint (Symbols of Salvation).

What can I say? I love power metal.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:40 pm 

There are a lot of albums I could include here and in many cases I could have chosen a different album for a given band but in sticking to one album per band here is my list (in alphabetical order).

Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time
Firewind - Immortals
Noble Beast - Noble Beast
Orden Ogan - To the End
Persuader - Evolution Purgatory
Pyramaze - Disciples of the Sun
Stratovarius - Eternal
Sunburst - Fragments of Creation
Unleash the Archers - Apex

Others I considered:

Adagio - Underworld
Almah - Fragile Equality
The Approach and the Execution - Kings Among Runaways
Borealis - Fall from Grace
Brainstorm - Midnight Ghost
Crimson Shadows - Glory on the Battlefield
Diviner - Fallen Empires
Edguy - Hellfire Club
Falconer - Falconer
Fireleaf - Behind the Mask
Gladenfold - From Dusk to Eternity
Guardians of Time - Rage and Fire
Helion Prime - Terror of the Cybernetic Space Monster
Hibria - Defying the Rules
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Immortal Guardian - Age of Revolution
In Vain - The Little Things That Matter
InnerWish - Innerwish
Labÿrinth - Return to Heaven Denied
Lost Horizon - Awakening the World
Paladin - Ascension
Pharaoh - The Longest Night
Project Arcadia - A Time of Changes
Rage - Soundchaser
Reverence - Gods of War
Sacred Outcry - Towers of Gold
Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor
Seven Kingdoms - Decennium
Shadowseer - Shadowseer
Solarus - Reunion
Tanagra - None of this is Real
Theocracy - Mosaic
Triosphere - The Heart of the Matter
Wardrum - Mavericks
Widow - Carved in Stone

List with comments:

Spoiler: show
Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time (Could have picked a few different BG records but I go back to this one often. Sacred Worlds is one of my favorite album openers of any genre)
Firewind - Immortals (I've always been a fan of Firewind but they never seemed to put a complete album together until Henning Basse joined the band and they produced this masterpiece)
Noble Beast - Noble Beast (Turns out the vocalist is a shitty human so this will be the only album we ever get from them but it's one of the more unique sounds in power metal. We Burn is fucking awesome)
Orden Ogan - To the End (Their discography is up and down but I return to this one often. The Frozen Few into To the End sets the bar high to start and the quality never really dips. The Ice Kings is probably my favorite ballad in power metal)
Persuader - Evolution Purgatory (A few years ago I probably would have chosen When Eden Burns in this spot but this one has aged better for me. Jens Carlsson sounds phenomenal here)
Pyramaze - Disciples of the Sun (This was one of the most pleasant surprises for me at the time. I always liked elements of their music but they finally found their sound when Terje came on board)
Stratovarius - Eternal (I'm really torn on which of their albums to pick and would probably choose something else tomorrow but their recent run has been elite)
Sunburst - Fragments of Creation (I don't think it's hyperbolic to refer to Gus Drax as the most underrated guitarist on the planet. From a technical perspective, he is insanely clean and his songwriting is also first-rate. His cover of Altitudes is the best I've heard and he's done great work in Black Fate, Suicidal Angels, and in his solo career. Pair that with Vasilis Georgiou's vocals and you have the recipe for one of my favorite albums of all time)
Symphony X - Paradise Lost (Another band with many albums I could have chosen but this is probably the most "power metal" they get)
Unleash the Archers - Apex (I remember first hearing their sophomore album and cringing at their weird attempt at mixing melodeath and power metal. For whatever reason, I gave them another try when Time Stands Still came out and I'm glad I did because they leaned into what they actually do well and then managed to create what should be an all-time classic in the aptly named Apex. Everything here from the vocals to the drumming to the story and songwriting is top notch)

Adagio - Underworld (Similar to Symphony X in that they are more progressive than power metal but David Readman is a monster vocalist and the energy on this album is great)
Almah - Fragile Equality (I'm probably the only person on the planet who prefers Almah to Angra. They got proggier after this album but this is straight up power metal)
The Approach and the Execution - Kings Among Runaways (Their genre is tough to pin down given their thrash/heavy metal influence but this album has a very power metal feel given the focus on melody and energetic choruses)
Borealis - Fall from Grace (I've never understood why this band hasn't been bigger. Their albums have consistently been high quality with an emphasis on melodic and catchy songs)
Brainstorm - Midnight Ghost (Tougher/grittier take on power metal with big choruses)
Crimson Shadows - Glory on the Battlefield (I hesitate to include this given they use predominantly harsh vocals but instrumentally they are basically power metal)
Diviner - Fallen Empires (I could substitute any of their albums here. MA lists them as heavy metal but the riffs and huge choruses feel more power metal to me)
Edguy - Hellfire Club (Edguy's discography is a little all over the place for me but they absolutely nailed it on this one)
Falconer - Falconer (Black Moon Rising may actually be better but I have a lot of nostalgia for this one)
Fireleaf - Behind the Mask (I don't know what happened to this band but this is an album I have forgotten about and then remembered again seemingly every year since it came out. Tough and gritty stuff)
Gladenfold - From Dusk to Eternity (Another band that features a lot of harsh vocals but I would still categorize more as power metal than melodeath. All of their albums are great but Where Fires Burn Frozen gives this one the nod for me)
Guardians of Time - Rage and Fire (This band has all the elements people like in power metal but never seemed to gain much steam. Riffs are a little on the heavier/crunchier side with soaring vocals and huge choruses)
Helion Prime - Terror of the Cybernetic Space Monster (The first album was great too but Sozos Michael's vocals fit this perfectly for me)
Hibria - Defying the Rules (This album is the definition of high flying and in your face power metal)
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings (One of the few bands here where I don't care for most of their discography but I played the shit out of this when I was first getting into power metal)
Immortal Guardian - Age of Revolution (This band doesn't get enough love. They've got crazy energy and great vocals)
In Vain - The Little Things That Matter (Similar to a band like Desert Near the End in that they have a lot of thrash elements and maybe barely qualify for power metal but this is just such a fun album)
InnerWish - Innerwish (This is a little more mid-paced with very Gus G-like riffs and massive choruses)
Labÿrinth - Return to Heaven Denied (I actually don't care for a lot of the 90s power metal pioneers for whatever reason but this is just such a fun album)
Lost Horizon - Awakening the World (It's such a shame this band only managed to create two albums)
Paladin - Ascension (High energy power metal infused with thrash)
Pharaoh - The Longest Night (It's tough for me to choose between their albums but I tend to return to this most often)
Project Arcadia - A Time of Changes (They have actually managed to make three great albums with three different vocalists but I haven't had enough time with the latest and I'd give A Time of Changes a slight edge to the debut)
Rage - Soundchaser (Rage has a lot of albums to choose from but this is the one that introduced me to them and I probably return to it the most)
Reverence - Gods of War (I guess this is more on the traditional heavy metal/USPM side, Hall sounds great on this record)
Sacred Outcry - Towers of Gold (I haven't spent as much time with this one yet but Daniel Heiman sounds phenomenal here)
Savage Circus - Dreamland Manor (I guess they are like discount Blind Guardian but it's a very small discount)
Seven Kingdoms - Decennium (Fast, upbeat, high energy female-fronted power metal)
Shadowseer - Shadowseer (US band with progressive/thrash/heavy metal elements. I've always wondered what they could have done had they stuck together for another album)
Solarus - Reunion (This band is basically Borealis with a female vocalist)
Tanagra - None of this is Real (One of the more unique bands I've heard. Some of their riffs remind me of the newer retro sounding power/heavy metal bands like Visigoth but there is more of a focus on melody and an emotive sound)
Theocracy - Mosaic (They just have this sound down pat...)
Triosphere - The Heart of the Matter (Another band with a unique sound that mixes elements of prog and heavy/thrash metal with clean and catchy choruses)
Wardrum - Mavericks (I think Awakening may be a better album but this one is more impressive given I basically wrote this band off after Yannis left but the songwriting here is as good as ever and the new vocalist is a worthy replacement)
Widow - Carved in Stone (Another band with seemingly more traditional heavy metal influence than power metal. The riffs and choruses are competing with each other to get stuck in your head)

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:52 am 

I would have to think hard on #2 through #9, but #1 is most definitely Power Quest’s Neverworld! Timeless! Endlessly memorable! Delicious!!

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:49 am 

I don't listen to enough power metal that I could make a proper list but I'd definitely have the debut Edenbridge album if not two or three other of theirs.

greywanderer7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:13 pm 

I can no longer stand the sugary, melodic happy kind of power metal. But I'll try:

Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond. I call it 'Hobbit-thrash' because that's what it sounds like to my ears.
Rhapsody of Fire - Power of the Dragonflame. Cheesy and melodramatic but weighty and emotive.
Pharaoh - Be Gone. The balance between the melodic European style and the heavier American style.
Versailles - Noble. I like the gothic atmosphere and the baritone singing is refreshing.
Virgin Steele - The House of Atreus Act I. Their most epic album, I think. I don't care too much for The Marriage of Heaven and Hell albums.
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy. The atmosphere reminds me of late 90s-early 00s fantasy CRPGs and the vocals are fantastic. The neoclassical stuff is actually tasteful and non-masturbatory.
Galneryus - The Flag of Punishment. Took the template of Finnish bands like Stratovarius and improved upon it by making it more aggressive.
Satan's Host - By the Hands of the Devil. A blackened death metal album with clean falsetto vocals and traditional metal melodies.
Children of Bodom - Something Wild. The title describes the music perfectly, and there's no denying that CoB was highly influential during their prime, even if their music is juvenile. A collision between Stratovarius and Dissection.
Stormlord - Supreme Art of War. Another one of the more extreme entries of this list, an epic black metal band that rather sounds like Emperor covering Rhapsody of Fire (they're from Italy as well).

I didn't want to include Manilla Road, Omen and the likes because they sound more like traditional metal, even though nowadays I listen to them far more.

XSpidercideX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:16 pm 

Armory - Empyrean Realms

Ancient Bards - A New Dawn Ending

Frozen Crown - Crowned in Frost

Gloryhammer - Legends from Beyond the Galactic Terrorvortex

Helloween - Keeper Of the Seven Keys

Kamelot - The Black Halo

Nightmare (France) - Aeternam

Seven Spires - Emerald Skies (most of album is Symphonic power metal)

Sonata Arctica - Silence

Symphony X -V: The New Mythology Suite

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2