Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:17 pm 

I searched for it, but couldn't find a thread for the upcoming Brodequin album.

American brutal death metal outfit Brodequin will release their 4th LP on in 10 days, and they've already released three singles for it, with the last one, Harbiner of Woe, having dropped yesterday.

Here are the three singles:

Harbinger of Woe (audio only):
Spoiler: show

Sufocation in Ash (audio only):

Of Pillars and Trees (videoclip):

The three singles are amazing and I'm truly excited for this new release! This new material is brutal and intricate without evey being too technical or flashy, and the production is crushing!

I'm expecting the full release to be a serious contender for my end of the year top 10.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:38 pm 

I feel really excited about this release, I've pre-ordered it after the second single dropped. I'm trying to follow the new releases of this year, but now as I think about it, I cannot remember any significant brutal death release in the first 3 months, except this one of course. Can't wait to listen to the whole album.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:39 pm 

Brutal as fuck, looking forward to this. Those singles are a lot cleaner sounding that their other albums, love the slam influence in some songs. Heavy contender in my album of the year list.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:51 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Brutal as fuck, looking forward to this. Those singles are a lot cleaner sounding that their other albums, love the slam influence in some songs. Heavy contender in my album of the year list.

I thought the cleaner production would bother me, but it's still brutal and vicious, so it's all fine by me.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:05 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
SanPeron wrote:

I thought the cleaner production would bother me, but it's still brutal and vicious, so it's all fine by me.

It was a blessing to me, I listened to their earlier albums today and man, holy fuck they are hard to listen to. You know I have an issue with rough production, but I understand that Brodequin fans are used to it. Their last short EP with two songs is quite clean sounding too, I recommend you that record if you haven't listened to it.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:06 pm 

So glad to see these guys are back and am very much looking forward to this album. I cant say I listen to Brodequin quite as much as I used to but I still very much enjoy them. In fact my username is a track from their Methods of Execution album.

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:37 pm 

After 3 great songs this will maybe be the album of the year.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:45 pm 

AlexMercer wrote:
After 3 great songs this will maybe be the album of the year.

Strongly agree, looking forward to this monster of an album.

vk66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:32 pm 

Absolutely loved it, the mix and production is great. Shortlisted for the end of the year list. I’ll be playing this for a long time.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:25 pm 

Ugh. Great fucking songs so far. Can't wait to hear the full album.
Did you need a protection amulet?

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:40 pm 

At first listen I'm a little disappointed. It lacks that really unique sense of melody that some of the classic Brodequin albums, especially Festival of Death and Methods of Execution, exemplified so well. One of my favorite things about Brodequin was the way they would go from slamming and blasting to hitting you out of nowhere with a riff that somehow conjures up this really odd but compelling late medieval vibe-- thinking of riffs like Trial by Ordeal around 2 minutes in or the Gridiron around 30 seconds in. I don't hear that on this album, which is a shame, because it was sort of the mystery sauce that made Brodequin stand out from other bands of that ilk.

That being said, Brodequin is a band that often demands repeated listens before you really start to dig into it (although that might just be because the production value on their earlier album was so beautifully garbage) so I'll be revisiting it. And I do like some of the twists they've thrown in, like that little section of chanting over blasting in Theresiana.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:02 pm 

Kinda reminds me of Liturgy (who are apparently also putting out a new one with what will likely be Matti Way's final performance before he retires) at times? Either way, this rips and is a great reminder that, legacy act or not, they've still got it and are more than capable of standing alongside all the bands they've influenced.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:27 pm 

Damn this is straight-up awesome. I'm not always into BDM but this has the perfect level of groove that makes the whole package not only palatable but insanely catchy. I can crank these tracks over and over. Also a reminder that it doesn't really matter how mind-numbingly heavy your sound is if you don't have the songwriting to back it up - every song here is memorable, every moment tight and precise. Also the drumming's fucking wild.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:34 pm 

It's a bit diffrent from past Brodequin albums for sure, but damn it if it isn't an amazing album. It's a solid contender for album of the year right now!

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:19 pm 

It's very different from their past albums as some of you said, but I love the change, the production is much cleaner, and the sound is a lot more polished. One of the best brutal death metal albums of the year, solid contender for my list in the album of the year top ten.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:44 pm 

This album slaps so hard. Just absurdly brutal but definitely a lot more nuance and atmosphere than previous releases. This is super strong.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:36 pm 

Listened to it for the first time earlier and it goes very hard. This could easily be in my top ten. I'll be listening to this a lot more. The songs flow together so well.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:21 pm 

Been listening to this one for the past few days. Nothing tops the previous three records, but this one was really good.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:51 pm 

It's a bit too clean and I miss the PING very much, but it's been a while since I've come across BDM with such a focus on relentless blasturbation and I had a great time.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:14 am 

I wasn't a fan of their earlier albums despite liking the style. This one is sounding really good, though. I think the time away and the superior production values have made me enjoy this one more.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:01 pm 

If anyone is interested, I typed in the lyrics from the official booklet. So you all can now sing-along. :)

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:30 pm 

Upon additional listens I do enjoy the album but I have to reframe a little bit and think of it less as a Brodequin album and more as just a general BDM album with some twists and turns. It was a little unfair of me to go into it expecting them to bring the same sound they had 20 years ago anyway, as much as I'd have liked to hear more of those phenomenal nuggets of melody and those really creative drum patterns that they were turning out a couple decades ago. For what it is, which is certainly not a golden age Brodequin record, it's good.

Reply to topic