Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Only_Perception
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:47 am 

Gullhryndr wrote:
I can hear where Varg would have been inspired by Aerie Descent, but I'm not hearing the riff itself. I will give it to Thorns though; that stuff is really dark. That song in particular sounded much more genuinely and seriously dark than much of the first wave BM I've listened to. I'm sure Thorns had a distinct impact on their contemporaries.

To your second point, I think the motivation here is good, but I don't think that's necessarily what's happening here. I know there's some cases where artists are criminally under-represented or underrated (Weakling comes to mind), and people get really weird with the celebrity stuff, but to play devil's advocate, I think it does kind of happen for a reason. There's a reason why nobody's ever heard of the BM band from Iowa, "Prolapsed Nazerine Impaled vpon the Vpside down Cross".

Barre the standard Am chord shape at the 7th fret position, tremolo arpeggio the chord downwards, shift hand up one fret, tremolo arpeggio the chord upward. The only difference in the riff is that Varg does an extra line on his E and B strings before traveling upwards.

First Wave "black metal" is basically indistinguishable from thrash or heavy metal, the overall lack of coherence in that fake genre is enough proof of the average persons ability to think. There were plenty more bands reaching much closer to a form of black metal and none of them are on any "first wave" list, in fact the most interesting ones aren't even from metal

Only_Perception
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:07 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
It seems like the point has been made

There is plenty to discuss if you had any original idea in your head.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:41 am 

Only_Perception wrote:
There is plenty to discuss if you had any original idea in your head.

Meh, I'm content to let you writhe in your version of reality where there's something horribly wrong with black metal.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:08 pm 

People generally like talking to people who are nice and also write in an intelligible manner and not pretentious drivel.

Only_Perception
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:02 am 

Auch wrote:
People generally like talking to people who are nice and also write in an intelligible manner and not pretentious drivel.

If you had anything interesting to say then the manner in which I speak would be unimportant.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2