Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:05 pm 

Californian blackened death/doom metallers Civerous will release their second full length, Maze Envy, on March 22 through 20 Buck Spin. From the press release:

Quote:
Upon hearing ‘Decrepit Flesh Relic’, the first album from Civerous, one was left with a feeling of intense suffocating weight and agonal prostration in the service of bone-breaking death hymns. With the towering new album, ‘Maze Envy’, LA’s most creatively destructive Death / Doom ensemble let loose a freshly evolved but no less brutal conflagration of immersive horror and morbid lamentation.

Where Death / Doom may often stay in safe and unadventerous realms of narrow focus, Maze Envy’ presents a more far-reaching breadth of ambition, where unusual technicality, progressive atmospheres, string flourishes and chaotic mysticism radiate a purple light of the soul’s ascension from the black oceans of dread Civerous inhabit. Chain-dragging dirge, blackened blasting, and the savage ferocity of Lord Foul’s hellish vocal exorcisms exalt ‘Mazy Envy’ with a hellish grandeur within its myriad paths to oblivion.

With a massively crushing sound, ‘Maze Envy’ is end times music for an age in which that reckoning feels unfathomably close. Civerous batter the senses into a state of labyrinthian turmoil from which emergence is ever more implausible.

Tracklisting:
1. The Azure Eye (02:01)
2. Shrouded in Crystals (08:25)
3. Endless Symmetry (02:27)
4. Labyrinth Charm (04:40)
5. Leviatation Tomb (05:17)
6. Maze Envy (09:23)
7. Geryon (The Plummet) (09:54)

Labyrinth Charm has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fZzjXbDsCQ

I liked what I heard from this band on their debut but I think this new record is going to be a major step up. The song is some pretty cool death/doom mixed with atmospheric black metal breaks, and pretty neat they got Derek Rydquist to do guest vocals.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:23 pm 

Yes, looking forward to this. Also on 20 Buck Spin, similar but not quite same, new Slimelord on March 8th.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:45 pm 

Nice album cover and everything that 20 Buck Spin releases is worth listening to. I liked the single, pretty straightforward modern death metal, with hints of some technicality and brutal death. The last melodic part is pretty good, death metal is in great shape as a genre.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:51 pm 

first album was cool, looking forward to this

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:42 pm 

Here's the second single:

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:13 pm 

Umm, yeah, this album is tremendous. Absolutely killer stuff here.

Their first album is also pretty fucking good too.

hallowed78 wrote:
Yes, looking forward to this. Also on 20 Buck Spin, similar but not quite same, new Slimelord on March 8th.

I got this and Slimelord on vinyl in the same order, and while the Slimelord is outstanding as well, this is leagues above. Two excellent albums in the same order, nonetheless.
Obliteration

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:57 am 

Here's the full album stream:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:05 pm 

First impression is that it's a solid album, though I'm already a little bummed that it's far less rotten/slimy/'Finnish' than Decrepit Flesh Relic. It's decidedly more pummelling and hard-hitting, so much so that for the most part it wouldn't occur to me to call this death/doom, which is how 20 Buck Spin's advertising it. Still sounds good, though, and I'll keep spinning it.

I'm also unsure about all the atmospheric moments, the violins and whatnot -- just not convinced it gels with the rest of what's on offer. I think about 4 or 5 minutes could have been shaved without sacrificing much of value.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:43 pm 

Best thing I've heard released today. Definitely going to give it a lot more spins.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:54 am 

Heard it just once so far but already sounded awesome.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Reply to topic