Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paka01
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:04 pm 

https://www.metalsucks.net/2024/01/02/b ... -this-may/

“Anyway, last year when I did my [year-end video] message, I did say we’d have a box set [of the Tony Martin-era Black Sabbath albums] coming out. Well, now I’ve been informed that it’ll be out in May. It’s been held up with paperwork and legal stuff. But anyway, it’s coming out in May now, if you’re interested, and I hope you are.”

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:47 pm 

:headbang:

Awesome. Will love to get these on vinyl.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:01 pm 

Part of me wants to say, "fucking finally," but another part of me is a little bit skeptical that we'll actually see it by the end of May. The good news is that giving the month is more specific than any claim of a date we've ever gotten, but I'd feel a lot better if there was an actual date.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:24 pm 

Sounds like it's a lot of paperwork to make it happen. I really hope it comes out. The Martin era is a bit mixed for me, a lot is subpar compared to the other Sabbath albums, but the Headless Cross album is an absolute classic. I also have a soft spot for Tyr, but I get why people don't like it, as it's very different from all other Sabbath albums.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:37 pm 

Martin era never got a fair crack of the whip. There are some absolute bangers in that era, particularly Headless Cross and Tyr (Feels Good to Me can go do one though). There's also shit, but even Ozzy had Never Say Die. Seventh Star was never intended to be a Sabbath record, and consequently doesn't sound like one, and Forbidden is the worst thing they ever recorded, and was done purely to fulfil a contract ahead of the first reunion with Ozzy.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:11 am 

I was hoping they'd be individual releases rather than a boxset. I've managed to track down a couple of them over the years, but I'll still buy this to have all 5 of them.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:44 am 

I'm wondering if these will all be remixed (I recall Tony saying that 'Forbidden' would be), and what bonus material, if any, will be included.
Regardless, love this era of the band and will buy this as soon as I can.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:14 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
I'm wondering if these will all be remixed (I recall Tony saying that 'Forbidden' would be), and what bonus material, if any, will be included.

Apparently, no bonus material. They can't put out anything "new" with the Black Sabbath name unless it's the original band.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/tony-iomm ... ive-in-may
Quote:
In the summer of 2022, Martin told "The Rock And Metal Profs: The History And Philosophy Of Rock And Metal" podcast that "two record labels" were going to re-release the albums he recorded with SABBATH. "I don't know when, and I don't know what it's gonna look like," he said. "There was some suggestion a while back that we might be able to put extra tracks and stuff on it. I did offer, and I went to see Tony Iommi and offered some things. And then he said we can't use anything new 'cause nothing new can be released under the BLACK SABBATH name. It can only be stuff that's got the original four members on it.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:20 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
Benedict Donald wrote:

Apparently, no bonus material. They can't put out anything "new" with the Black Sabbath name unless it's the original band.

Quote:
In the summer of 2022, Martin told "The Rock And Metal Profs: The History And Philosophy Of Rock And Metal" podcast that "two record labels" were going to re-release the albums he recorded with SABBATH. "I don't know when, and I don't know what it's gonna look like," he said. "There was some suggestion a while back that we might be able to put extra tracks and stuff on it. I did offer, and I went to see Tony Iommi and offered some things. And then he said we can't use anything new 'cause nothing new can be released under the BLACK SABBATH name. It can only be stuff that's got the original four members on it.

I wish they would've used an obvious tactic to get around it like Black Sabbath: The Tony Martin Years + Special Tony Iommi and Friends bonus disc! and its just whatever extra tracks from the Martin albums. Metal Archives would catalogue it is a split and have to create a new band page for Tony Iommi and Friends.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:03 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:

Quote:

I wonder if that applies to bonus tracks from these albums that were already released on various singles & Japanese pressings. I would think they should be able to at least include these songs:

Black Moon (Eternal Idol outtake)
Some Kind of Woman (Eternal Idol outtake)
Cloak and Dagger (Headless Cross B-side)
What's the Use (Cross Purposes Japanese bonus track)
Loser Gets It All (Forbidden Japanese bonus track)

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:18 pm 

Evoken wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:

Quote:

I wonder if that applies to bonus tracks from these albums that were already released on various singles & Japanese pressings. I would think they should be able to at least include these songs:

Good call/question. I'm especially interested in "What's the Use", as that song crushes.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:29 pm 

What about that bonus track on the Born Again deluxe edition? Was that a B-Side or was it previously unreleased?

Gogomonow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:06 pm 

Hope this actually comes out as promised, I've been wanting these on CD real bad. I also hope these are accompanied with a streaming release, that way more people than just hardcore Sabbath fans might hear them.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:20 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
What about that bonus track on the Born Again deluxe edition? Was that a B-Side or was it previously unreleased?

I believe that it was previously unreleased but it being included on the Born Again reissue with the Sabbath name might have been due to the timing of that release or their agreement about the use of the name may have changed since then. Or maybe Iommi is just bullshitting Martin because he doesn't want to include extras (if I recall correctly, Iommi is on record as saying he was generally not a fan of releasing demos and previously unreleased versions of songs).

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:06 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:

I believe that it was previously unreleased but it being included on the Born Again reissue with the Sabbath name might have been due to the timing of that release or their agreement about the use of the name may have changed since then. Or maybe Iommi is just bullshitting Martin because he doesn't want to include extras (if I recall correctly, Iommi is on record as saying he was generally not a fan of releasing demos and previously unreleased versions of songs).

Iommi has no issue releasing live bonus tracks by the truck full though. If it was just Iommi not wanting demos or whatever surely they're be some live tracks out there, possibly from Cross Purposes Live, since that already exists under the Sabbath name. But if we even don't get any live tracks I don't think it would be Iommi being responsible, but rather contracts.

Plus the original lineup has released some really interesting bonus tracks on the deluxe editions already, and yes I know Ozzy (Sharon) would've had some sway in that, but surely Iommi is not stubbornly putting his foot down NO BONUS TRACKS DAMMIT.

Ragemanistan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:36 am 

Benedict Donald wrote:
Evoken wrote:

Good call/question. I'm especially interested in "What's the Use", as that song crushes.

I bought Cross Purposes on vinyl about a year ago and it came with ''What's The Use'' as an unlisted track on the end of side one. And, yes, it crushes.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:43 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:

Iommi has no issue releasing live bonus tracks by the truck full though. If it was just Iommi not wanting demos or whatever surely they're be some live tracks out there, possibly from Cross Purposes Live, since that already exists under the Sabbath name. But if we even don't get any live tracks I don't think it would be Iommi being responsible, but rather contracts.

Plus the original lineup has released some really interesting bonus tracks on the deluxe editions already, and yes I know Ozzy (Sharon) would've had some sway in that, but surely Iommi is not stubbornly putting his foot down NO BONUS TRACKS DAMMIT.

Yeah, true, and we don't really know what Martin has that he offered to Iommi. So, I guess maybe we should not presume "no extras at all". I doubt that Tony Martin is in possession of the master tapes for Cross Purposes Live or some Japanese bonus tracks. It seems likely that he probably has some demos or rehearsal tapes or something of that nature and that's the stuff that Iommi said "no" to.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:10 pm 

This is a dumb question but do we know what is included in the boxset? Is it just the 5 studio albums, or is Cross Purposes Live included as well?

CrystalMountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:51 pm 

I'm glad to hear that this is finally happening. I've always felt bad for Tony as he seems like a really nice dude and had a terrific voice; but I feel like Sabbath(ie Iommi) kind of tossed him around a bit and he's just never gotten the respect that he deserves from fans.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:08 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
This is a dumb question but do we know what is included in the boxset? Is it just the 5 studio albums, or is Cross Purposes Live included as well?

I'm not even confident that all 5 Tony Martin albums will be included. At the end of 2022 when Tony Iommi first announced this project, he said they were re-releasing the IRS Records albums, which includes Dehumanizer with Dio, but does not include The Eternal Idol because that was on Vertigo Records. In the video he put out this year, he doesn't actually mention Tony Martin or the "Tony Martin era" by name. He just says "a box set" which makes it sound like the plan has not changed. Dubbing it the "Tony Martin era Black Sabbath box set" may be an assumption on the part of the fans that is not strictly correct.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/tony-iomm ... ed-in-2023

EDIT: It could be that they wanted to include The Eternal Idol in the set, and had to negotiate with Vertigo to get it included. Maybe that was what has been taking so long?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:26 pm 

Even if The Eternal Idol turns out to not be included, it was already part of the deluxe edition reissues they had some years ago, so imo it wouldn't be such a huge injustice if it wasn't included.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:53 pm 

Wow, they actually committed to May. That is way better than saying 2024 after 22 and 23 passed us by but I will believe it when I see it.

I hope they include the live album! I have heard Tony Martin does a great job with all eras of Sabbath.

If there is no bonus tracks I will still be happy.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 11:02 am 

TadGhostal wrote:

They misspelled the shit out of Bill Ward's name on 13 and The End.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:01 pm 

Also it would be cool if the Iommi albums with Glenn Hughes got reissued.

Ragemanistan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:12 pm 

SentByTheDevil87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:44 pm 

Finally. I hope that The Eternal Idol will be part of the box-set given that it was released on a different label than the other 4.

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:34 pm 

So….looks like this is now available to preorder

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:37 pm 

markhebb wrote:

Where at?

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:11 pm 

markhebb wrote:

Where at?

Not sure but there are a lot of postings on Sabbath Facebook groups- and a new ‘single’ Headless Cross backed with Anno Mundi is now available on Apple Music here in Australia

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:00 pm 

https://blabbermouth.net/news/black-sabbath-box-set-of-tony-martin-era-recordings-anno-domini-1989-1995-to-arrive-in-may?fbclid=IwAR3TyUwirIDaUEAi-gKbGAN4_fip4vY9Ct48gqYxDifSQBWi5VB2RdWRAcQ

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:03 am 

Just ordered a copy from the Amazon US store.
Thanks for posting!

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:49 am 

SentByTheDevil87 wrote:
Finally. I hope that The Eternal Idol will be part of the box-set given that it was released on a different label than the other 4.

It doesn't look like it, unfortunately.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:18 am 

It's really happening.

I hope Cross Purposes Live gets released later.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:42 pm 

I don’t know if I’ll be buying this since I already have CDs for these albums, but I’m hyped as hell to finally be able to stream them in my car and such without having to finagle YouTube. Even better if it leads to this era getting a little more respect and a Forbidden remix is very promising!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:59 pm 

These are some of the longest running illegal downloads I still have from high school. Be good to get this sometime.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:03 pm 

I don't buy cd's anymore, but I wanted to say that Headless Cross has always been an awesome album, really underrated in Black Sabbath discography.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:38 pm 

Where are you guys seeing this? Just looked at Amazon and I didn’t see it.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:41 pm 

demonomania wrote:
Where are you guys seeing this? Just looked at Amazon and I didn’t see it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CX99GDY6

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:15 pm 

Many thanks. Preordering now.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

ageofdishord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:42 pm 

The Eternal Ideal is owned by Warner Music in North America, which is why it's not included. Everything in the box set was originally released by I.R.S. Records (Now owned by Universal Music).

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next