Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Defenestrated
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:53 am 

I listen occasionally. None of his albums has ever been a total home-run for me:

-I haven't heard them in years, but I remember the debut and DSEV as "so-so," with moments of brilliance but also some pretty disagreeable vocals.
-On HLTO, I find the vocals somewhat better, and in any case made much more tolerable by the other (excellent IMO) qualities of the songs, though the ambient closer is "so-so" at best.
-Filosofem has unobjectionable vocals at last, IMO, and retains and refines a lot of what made HTLO great, but goes off the rails in the second half.
-Belus and Fallen are pretty all right, though a couple notches or so below the classics. Never bothered with the ambient/prison albums.

Auch wrote:
It's interesting to me how many people think Burzum is an exception or sanitized because the band's songs aren't explicitly Nazi or white supremacist or because Burzum is an early band or whatever. Since Varg himself is so outspokenly Nazi through so many outlets, it seems impossible to me to claim to be both a fan of Burzum (particularly if you're such a fan that you're wearing Burzum merch) and be upset or confused if people then assume you have far right sympathies.

I'd draw an analogy to being a vegetarian who makes the decision not to consume meat, but happens to like or even love the sheer taste of bacon. Bacon for many/most people interacts with the taste-buds in extremely, uniquely enjoyable ways. But the larger "experience" of consuming food has ethical/ecological/societal ramifications as well, beyond the sphere of immediate sensuous gratification.

Vegetarians might typically weigh these factors differently than meat-eaters: For the first, the cons (e.g., contributing more than otherwise to destructive agricultural practices) might be seen to outweigh the pros (e.g., experiencing more pleasure than otherwise in eating and sharing meals). Similarly for the person who likes/loves what Varg does with his guitar, but couldn't forgive themselves for giving money to a racist.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:23 pm 

Yeah, that’s a good analogy. I really like Akhlys, and especially loved The Dreaming I, and remember really liking Aoratos. But then I found out Naas is a piece of shit with fascist ties so even if I like his music, I prefer to not listen to or buy his music anymore.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:00 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Fair enough. I didn't intend to try and start shit. I just think a lot these days about what exactly the purpose is and what is being done with certain habits like this in this very politicized world. I think it's worth examining what is really being affected, and on the other hand, admitting when you just don't want to participate in shit because it's gross or awful to you. There was always too much nonsense talk about hypocrisy in these discussions.

I didn't see your previous posts as "trying to start shit", and you're making valid points. It's worth examining the motivations behind our actions, as well as the impacts when it comes to "problematic" or at least "controversial" artists. Your previous posts were a good way to dig into these things and to advance the discussion a bit. I personnally didn't write in the thread until the 4th page because I've alreayd expressed myself on this subject many times and didn't feel that this particular thread was addressing any of the "issues" or "problems" in a compelling or new and interesting way. So yeah, I was just lurking and answered SomeGuyDude's post to just state where I was standing, and also to address the "wearing merch" of Burzum theme, because I find it to be one of the most interesting threads to follow, and then you answered my post, so I wanted to answer you back, as I agreed with some of your points, and a little less with some others.

I do agree that these discussions often tend to get derailed, with personnal attacks and whatnot, while the discussion in itself can still be interesting if we explore it in a thorough manner.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my posts. Have a good one!

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:02 am 

I don't listen to Burzum, period.

I also don't listen to Omnihility, another band with a convicted murderer in their lineup.

Then again, I'll still watch all three movies of the Naked Gun movies, despite O.J. Simpson being in all three of them. Three of the funniest movies ever made.

poormouth100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:19 pm 

I feel like there is such an annoying preponderance of these threads that they should just be confined to their own mega-thread or something. This entire topic is just a black hole where nothing insightful is ever imparted to one another, no opinions are changed, just people talking past each other and getting nowhere. Any metal community I've ever been in that allowed these discussions would inevitably turn into a shit-flinging, dick measuring contest at the expense of the actual music.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 pm 

doomicus wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:
Frankly I couldn't give two fucks about the church burning. As far as I'm concerned the Abrahamic religions are a cancer so I'm not really going to shed any tears about their icons being destroyed. Not saying it was the right thing to do, I just don't give a shit enough to stop supporting an artist over that particular thing.

You're conveniently leaving out the ass tons of nazi/intolerant rhetoric Varg has spouted on the regular for ages, as well as him being a murderer.

As for the OP, I think everyone should make their own call on where they stand morally and do what makes them feel the most comfortable. Most folks have different cut offs, and no one can really dictate what one listens to but the self.

Interesting point.

You also have people who only use a selective "I'll listen to this album, but not this one, because a particularly bad person played on it" rule (applied to many, such as Emperor, Saxon, Manowar, Pyrexia, Judas Priest, Sabaton, Mayhem, etc.), which may not be the same as bands where the whole catalog has that person on it (Lostprophets in particular).

You have people who think it's okay if it's someone in a certain function, but not another. I remember with Lostprophets, someone said that it might be possible to separate the art from the artist if it had been the drummer, but not if it was the vocalist and main songwriter (which it was).

Last edited by Required Fields on Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:16 pm 

Required Fields wrote:
doomicus wrote:
MalignantTyrant wrote:
Frankly I couldn't give two fucks about the church burning. As far as I'm concerned the Abrahamic religions are a cancer so I'm not really going to shed any tears about their icons being destroyed. Not saying it was the right thing to do, I just don't give a shit enough to stop supporting an artist over that particular thing.

You're conveniently leaving out the ass tons of nazi/intolerant rhetoric Varg has spouted on the regular for ages, as well as him being a murderer.

As for the OP, I think everyone should make their own call on where they stand morally and do what makes them feel the most comfortable. Most folks have different cut offs, and no one can really dictate what one listens to but the self.

Interesting point.

You also have people who only use a selective "I'll listen to this album, but not this one, because a particularly bad person played on it" rule (applied to many, such as Emperor, Saxon, Manowar, Pyrexia, Judas Priest, Mayhem, etc.), which may not be the same as bands where the whole catalog has that person on it (Lostprophets in particular).

You have people who think it's okay if it's someone in a certain function, but not another. I remember with Lostprophets, someone said that it might be possible to separate the art from the artist if it had been the drummer, but not if it was the vocalist and main songwriter (which it was).

Ultimately, eahc person draws the line for which stuff they choose to be comfortable with, which may not always make complete sense from an outside perspective. I for example swore off listening to Burzum ever again, but can't bring myself to do the same for say Led Zeppelin or Dissection. I find the actions of Jimmy Page and Jon Nödvedt extremely reprehensible, but it's Varg that always throws me off (whom admitely is beyond unhinged in all his hateful views at this point).

As a side not: what did Pyrexia do? Never heard any controversy about them before.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:11 pm 

MorbidSaint69 wrote:
As a side not: what did Pyrexia do? Never heard any controversy about them before.

One of the former vocalists murdered three men in a shooting. He was given three life sentences without the possibility of parole.

David_Brent
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:48 am 

Wtf!? I listen to Burzum because of his actions!

No not really, I do like the first 3 Burzum albums a lot, but I can't sit through Filosofem. Hliðskjálf does have some charm.
It's always the music that matters, not the person (although having a good/cool person making the music is a nice bonus).

The_Carcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:54 pm 

Early Burzum is not bad, I personally prefer Mayhem, Darkthrone and Emperor but I can respect Burzum's early works. But after Filosofem it's just downhill from there.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5