Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:56 pm 

Blackened death metal veterans Necrophobic will release their tenth full length, In The Twilight Grey, on March 15 through Century Media Records. From the press release:

Quote:
With over thirty years of active, nefarious service under their spikes and bulletbelts, NECROPHOBIC are undisputed legends of the death and black metal scene. Formed in 1989 by drummer Joakim Sterner, the Stockholm blackhearts propagated a singular and fearless vision from the very start. NECROPHOBIC established a bold and vivid identity of their own, conjuring a densely melodic, but endlessly wicked take on macabre extreme metal that countless lesser bands have since emulated.

Despite numerous line-up changes and moments of turmoil, NECROPHOBIC’s dark light has never dimmed. As a result, when the band’s most efficacious line-up reconvened for 2018’s “Mark Of The Necrogram”, it was obvious to fans and critics alike that the Swedish quintet were back to the blistering form that first cemented their reputation. With guitarists Sebastian Ramstedt and Johan Bergeback back in the fold after a five-year hiatus, it was a self-evident career peak for all concerned. Not just the best sounding record of the band’s career, but one of the most monstrously dramatic and destructive records of the decade, it made the prospect of the next NECROPHOBIC albums even more mouth-watering. With their 10th studio album, “In the Twilight Grey”, the Swedish blackened death metal masters are taking an even deeper plunge into pitch black shadows. Yet again the album was produced, mixed and mastered by Fredrik Folkare (of death metal icons Unleashed) at Chrome Studios, Stockholm and engineered in close collaboration by Folkare and the band themselves. “In the Twilight Grey” doesn’t only offer classic NECROPHOBIC treasures such as “Stormcrow” or the title track, but also solemn journeys into somberness like the captivating “Nordanvind”.

Tracklisting:
1. Grace of the Past
2. Clavis Inferni
3. As Stars Collide
4. Stormcrow
5. Shadows of the Brightest Night
6. Mirrors of a Thousand Lakes
7. Cast in Stone
8. Nordanvind
9. In the Twilight Grey
10. Ascension (Episode Four)

Stormcrow has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

Necrophobic have been on a tear since Bergeback, Ramstedt and Strokirk rejoined and it looks like they're not stopping anytime soon. The first single is pretty much exactly what I expected from this current incarnation of the band, melodic black/death metal of the highest calibre.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:30 am 

They have indeed been on a tear, those last two albums are actually two of their best ones. It's quite likely this new one will also be a total ripper... definitely looking forward to it.

2024 is shaping up to be a good year for metal already.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:16 am 

Oooh the single is out. I hear some Darkside in there which is always welcome. I was already excited but now even more so. One of my favourite bands.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:20 am 

Ooooh shit, I've been a Necrophobic fan since high school. Black/death is one of my favorite genre blends.

I'll be sure to check this one out, especially since Behemoth and Belphegor have kinda turned stale. Only real good blackened death we're left with is Hate and this band.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:00 am 

A bit too melodic for my taste. Also think that the production isn't that great.

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:30 am 

colin040 wrote:
A bit too melodic for my taste. Also think that the production isn't that great.

Stick with the first three albums. Classics.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:45 am 

They have made some of the styles legendary albums in The Nocturnal Silence, and Darkside.

Last few of been way too polished, and sound like Amon Amarth.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:26 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
They have made some of the styles legendary albums in The Nocturnal Silence, and Darkside.

Not sure what you've been listening to. The latest two albums are solid and I'd argue that their most recent one is their best record since Darkside. Neither remind me of Amon Amarth, really.

I'd advise you to hold off on what is likely to be a negative review and give this album the perspective it deserves.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:33 am 

These last couple albums do not at all sound like Amon Amarth to me. I guess there are some surface level similarities (the melodic death metal elements) but... no. They don't sound like Amon Amarth imo. This is definitely still in the same wheelhouse as Dissection, Sacramentum, etc. - I guess the production is more slick now but it's not overly polished to me. You can still tell it's human beings playing the music. It's not like this is Rings of Saturn and everything is sample replaced, lol.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:52 pm 

The production does sound a bit flat at first but I don't think this single is that bad. I'll probably give it a spin but I don't have high expectations.

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

I don't care much for their more recent output either. I think Death to All was the last good one. I'm not sure I agree that they sound like Amon Amarth though.

Samoroth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:07 pm 

They will never beat Hrimthursum.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:38 pm 

Liked the single. The last two albums of theirs have been great, so I predict this one will also be good.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:43 pm 

I really like the cover art.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:59 am 

I Am the Law wrote:
The production does sound a bit flat at first but I don't think this single is that bad. I'll probably give it a spin but I don't have high expectations.

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

I don't care much for their more recent output either. I think Death to All was the last good one. I'm not sure I agree that they sound like Amon Amarth though.

Im more referring to the production sounding too friendly.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:00 am 

colin040 wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:

Not sure what you've been listening to. The latest two albums are solid and I'd argue that their most recent one is their best record since Darkside. Neither remind me of Amon Amarth, really.

Opposite of Darkside.

Niceside.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:42 am 

Saw them live in Stockholm for the first time like 2 months ago, they played only 90's songs and were fucking great.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:40 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
I Am the Law wrote:

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

Im more referring to the production sounding too friendly.

I see. I can agree with that. The last two were definitely a bit too slick for me. In spite of that I'd probably enjoy them if the songwriting were more interesting but I thought both were pretty average.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:51 am 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Saw them live in Stockholm for the first time like 2 months ago, they played only 90's songs and were fucking great.

No Tsar Bomba? In my opinion, far and away their best song and the song that re-ignited my interest in them back in 2018.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:48 pm 

Fantastic news! These guys can do no wrong and I've loved the last couple. Very excited for this one!

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:09 am 

jimbies wrote:
mjaeltbrand wrote:

No Tsar Bomba? In my opinion, far and away their best song and the song that re-ignited my interest in them back in 2018.

Yeah, it's an amazing song but they stuck to 90's albums only. It was like a 30 year anniversary for The Nocturnal Silence, which me and several other thought meant they will play the album from start to finish. They played like half of it, but otherwise it was a mix of all their 90's albums. Still, a great show, and it motivated me to listen to them more frequently.

Awakening and The Nocturnal Silence were one of the first heavier, more extreme metal songs I heard but since they rarely tour around Sweden I kind of forgot about them the last 15 years.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:42 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Stick with the Slow Asphyxiation demo!
I still have to hear anything from them to give me that vibe again

jose_G
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:18 pm 

i love this band! A really solid discography... waiting for the new record

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:41 pm 

morbert wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Stick with the Slow Asphyxiation demo!
I still have to hear anything from them to give me that vibe again

The demos are definitely good stuff.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:35 pm 

The clean breakdown was unnecessary, but otherwise, solid!

As for the album cover, I'm glad it's not that giant palace in the red depths of hell again (I can't believe they did that for two albums in a row :lol:), but this color palette just makes it look like every death metal album that came out this year.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:46 am 

Another overly melodic song that doesn't do it for me. Where's the diabolic rage?

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:41 pm 

Necrophobic has always been pretty overtly melodic even at their most vicious.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:16 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:

Yeah, pretty much.

I'm not sure what some of you were expecting lol...

They're closer to Dissection than they are to, like...Marduk or Dark Funeral

You're not really going to be hearing a lot of "diabolic rage", even at their most vicious. Personally I liked the song quite a bit.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:57 pm 

Don't even have to think about it, Necrophobic are a auto buy.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:18 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Frank Booth wrote:

Yeah, pretty much.

I'm not sure what some of you were expecting lol...

They're closer to Dissection than they are to, like...Marduk or Dark Funeral

You're not really going to be hearing a lot of "diabolic rage", even at their most vicious. Personally I liked the song quite a bit.

I dunno man, I like to hear some nods towards Darkside; even the last album had some of that.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:41 am 

I don't really mind the melodic stuff they're doing, particularly on this later single. If you're yearning for a more aggressive Necrophobic, check out The Nocturnal Silence.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:41 pm 

If this new song doesn't smell anything like Rotting Christ, my ears are beyond repair?!

GREAT stuff!

Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:15 am 

The third and final single (and album opener) is out now:

I think this is my favourite of all of the three singles that have been released, really powerful, driving stuff.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:30 am 

That's more like it. Familiar, yet convincing stuff.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:34 am 

So the album is out today. On my second listen, and once again, this doesn't dissappoint. Another strong addition to their superb catalog, not too different from the last two, if only even more melodic overall, but equally well composed and performed. Even the parts that sounded a bit unnecessary or clumsy in he first two singles, work better in the context of the whole album.

nakzox
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:48 am 

Very solid, as I would expect. I imagine this will make my year-end top-ten.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:41 am 

The album rips. Very much in the vein of the last two.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:59 am 

I've generally enjoyed their albums, although I don't think I've listened much since Mark of the Necrogram. This one sounds pretty good after a few songs, though. I might need to catch up on the last few at some point.

CelestialEmissary
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:16 pm 

Very solid album alongside their couple. I actually had the chance to interview Joakim about this album last week for my radio show. Glad to see yet another fantastic album.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:53 pm 

Fucking rips. Strokirk rejoining was the best thing that ever happened to this band.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:03 pm 

Mark of the Necrogram III. Which is fine by me.

I personally feel the melodicism gives the album/sound/band a much more terrifying feel. More often than it should, the same three low notes in death metal usually makes it feel dull and repetitive to me rather than scary. But then again, the Gothenburg melo-death is a horrible disgraceful joke to me.

What's with that fadeout on Shadows On The Brightest Night? It's like the band trainwrecked at the end but didn't have enough time/money for another take.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next